1998 Chevy Prizm

Hey guys,

Can somebody tell me what the pressures should in a 1998 Chevrolet Prizm engine?
I can't find the specs.

Thanks

halp

Oil pressure?

Kill yourself
>FWD
>I bet its auto too

Dumbass
Sell it
buy an mr2 or miata

>no ecoboost
>gm

you mean compression?

those are known for bad piston rings, they will burn oil like a mofo, but still drive fine.

120psi on each, no more than 15% difference between them all.

1ZZ is known for bad piston rings?

Kek dumb shitposter. Try TOYOTA

Either the rings get hard or the oiling passages in the pistons clog with shit. They can turn into 2-3 quart a month burners if unlucky. Reringing and cleaning up the pistons will fix them, but its a lot of work for an almost 20 year old economy car.

>FWD

It's ran fine for 16+ years.

Isn't 120pst a little low?

auto is better

130 psi +-5

It used about a quart every other month.

Also, if anyone can give me some suggestions as to what the problem might be with the car it would be appreciated.

It ran fine for years and one day a few minutes after start-up, about 2 miles away from home, its performance degraded in a matter of 5 seconds to that of a golf cart. It had no acceleration and ran poorly with unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. After I couldn't figure it out, I had Pepboys play with it and after they checked the compression (~60psi in all cylinders) and timing chain (which was good) they gave it back to me because they couldn't identify the problem (lol) now another shop is looking at and despite the bullshit the guy gave me over the phone, it doesn't sound they're going to be able to figure it out either.

>60psi in all cylinders
Found your problem
Gonna have to do a leakdown test and tear it apart to fix it

Your motor is fucked.
Also it has a belt not a chain

The first gen Geos were the belt driven pieces of shit.

Yeah, but what's wrong with the engine?

low compression in all cylinders means its fucked. its bad when one cylinder has low compression but all 4? its needs new pistons and a rebuild my dude

dumbass

Needs a rebuild. Perhaps some cylinders aren't firing due to low compression, or maybe a fuel injector let loose. Fixing any of that isn't worth it with compression like that though; your engine is tired and worn out.

Yeah, but it ran fine right up until them.

What could cause it to break down that fast?

vacuum leaks
spark plugs/wires/coil packs (if applicable)
low fuel pressure
internal fuel injector leak dumping gas into 1 cylinder
timing belt jumped a tooth/slipped
o2 sensors
EGR passages clogged
there's tons of reasons a car could run like shit. Low compression MIGHT not be the exact reason, but it's a sign saying "it's not worth it", unless you wanna also pull the engine and change the piston rings

I like your idea on the spark coils.

The O2 sensors could ruin a car's performance that much?

What's an EGR?

dude the car is only worth like $300, it's time to move on.

I get it, but it's been a nice car and I'd like to fix it if I can.

Financially it's not really sensible but it would be fun and you'll end up having a learning experience 99% of Veeky Forumstists won't have.
Plus you have an as new engine at the end of it, ready to run for another 15 years.

you cant and you wont. move on