/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Bright Lights Big Industry
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Space Engineers
>StarMade
>Avorion
>From the Depths
>Factorio
>REM
>Robocraft
>Machinecraft
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Besiege
>Infinifactory
>Scrap Mechanic
>Robot Arena 2
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Algodoo
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
youtube.com/watch?v=wGPli1dNu_k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Proper guns are hard. I miss lasers.

I think you should add children of a dead earth to the list.

But it needs to just be CHODE.

Does it have a thread or any buzz on /v/?

It might be a little bit too young to be DED quite yet.

agreed

that is, IF we accept it

which we won't because it's literally not /egg/

coade torrent where

chode* torrent

damnit, i can't spell

>which we won't because it's literally not /egg/

Why?

Don't reply to the /kspg/ retard.

Do you actually build the ships in chode? I saw that stream for a few mins and he was just looking at various ugly as fuck dick shaped ships.

this

unless you build ships (show a fucking screenshot of the build interface already), the game is literally not /egg/

You fucking do, stop being cocks. Hola from fucking /cg/, by the goddamn way. You newfags can suck my fucking cock.

Or should I say CHODE :^)

Look at this ugly shit.

hola from fucking /cg/ too, you fuckwad

now show me a screenshot of the build interface you fucking shill

Why do we do this every fucking time a game comes out
This is worse than when Abortion got announced

Are you afraid that phallic objects might cause you unpleasant feels?

BECAUSE THIS GAME DOESNT EVEN HAVE A FUCKING BUILD INTERFACE

THIS ISNT ABOUT VOXELS OR NO VOXELS ANYMORE, THIS IS FUCKING BASIC SHIT

THIS IS WORSE THAN WHEN YOU FUCKERS SHOVED FACTORIO IN HERE factorio is a cool game though

This is literally autism: The thread, what did you expect?

Avorion looks good though.
This game really really does not.

Mate, I have an all day pass express ticket on the cock carousel.

Maybe you should stop responding to the /kspg/ shitters?

I built a wall.
Can I be /egg/ now?

t. Sole Survivor

Wtf is these kind of people doing here?

*are

eeeer... I was just pretending to be retarded...

There's two guys her who have it, one hasn't unlocked the build interface yet. I'm still waiting on gameplay too.

Well too bad, in real life spaceship design will be dictated by mathematically derived optimum solutions. Unfortunately for everyone involved that's what the optimum design looks like. I know it sucks. We've had this conversation before here, on Veeky Forums, on /k/, Veeky Forums, everywhere anyone might remotely ask about what real space combat would be like. Still, I want a game that does that. That's why I like the idea behind CHODE.

Get a mod that lets you put logic gates really close together. Then get back to us and even if you don't know what you're doing we'll feed you diagrams.

>Well too bad, in real life spaceship design will be dictated by mathematically derived optimum solutions. Unfortunately for everyone involved that's what the optimum design looks like.

Fuck you cubes are the most efficient design

a lot of it is down to just plain shitty and undetailed graphics

real rockets aren't smooth cylinders

Question for all of you:

As an afterthought I filled a 5x10x20 empty section of my hulll with a laser system. I then stuck a dinky little turret on it and the fucking asshole does more damage than my four main turrets together.

What the fuck.

Anyways: I was thinking of moving the superstructure back a bit to put this laser turret above my two front guns, but then it might look like the superstructure is too far back. Should I move my two front guns forward instead?

>Get a mod that lets you put logic gates really close together.
>there's a mod that lets you disable part collision
>and one that removes the build limit
>you could compress infinite logic gates into one spot
>and probably make a completely programmable computer
Hmmm

They are not, they limit your arc of fire from each individual weapon. Lasers are gonna look pretty much the same as they do now, with the ball mirror contraption we currently use on weaponized lasers. You can depress that really fucking far if you don't have ship there to own goal.

Lasers also don't have recoil

>limited arc of fire
>implying you will be shooting in more than a 90 degree cone ever.
>implying all battles won't be fought by 1000000MT nuclear warheads accelerated to .8C by railgun-like things.
>implying you can hide in space.
>implying the first one to shoot doesn't immediately destroy the opponent.

War in space doesn't work.

>you could compress infinite logic gates into one spot
you could compress some logic gates into one spot until it crashes
FTFY

the most optimal space ship design is a wedge. that way any point defense turrets you have will have a strong overlap in field of fire. any other foresight is pointless since even the smallest fragment from a canister round will blow a hole straight through your spaced armor regardless

Real rockets don't have armor, that's why it's a cylinder.

We've thought about that for a while but nobody bothered. With /egg/ on a low level computing binge I think someone might actually try it. With the factory DLC it might even be semi-useful.

Dude we've been over this. The recoil isn't nearly that bad and this ships have much more mass than you seem to think.

And lasers that operate at levels sufficient to quickly damage more than black construction paper do put out a measurable if negligible amount of recoil.

I'm not sure about your guns, but your camouflage is certainly impressive

putting an explosive on a high velocity projectile isn't really that great an idea

same reason they switched to sabot rounds on the abrams, cheaper and just as effective

>get hyped about contraptions workshop
>it turns out to be a shit 3d factorio

i know now, i was just trying to trigger you

>smallest fragment from a canister round will blow a hole straight through your spaced armor regardless
Yeah, and form a plasma that ablates off of the second layer instead of penetrating. Did you miss the thread yesterday?

I was hoping people would leave them neatly arranged so we could look at it.

real armor isn't a smooth cylinder either
the guns are a cylinder stuck to a sphere, the thrusters are bells stuck to spheres

it's just shitty programmer graphics

>implying the velocity is there to deal damage, and not to just deliver the payload before countermeasures can know it has been fired.
>Implying a 1000000000MT Nuke is not a practical bullet for space warfare.

>needed mods day one to be worth anything
>it ships missing essential parts like upward sloped conveyors
>it's shit anyway and almost impossible to hook computers up to stuff on the same power grid so you have to have separate power stations
This is why I think a TTL computer might be cool for a modded factory.

Nothing we're not used to 2bqhm8

Mhmm. That fresh base smell.

Can I drop things on you from really high?

I can't help but load that image every time, I remember someone hiding a game code on it. I think that's how I got ftd.

Speaking of I haven't seen Hitler-sempai in a while. Maybe he'll give someone CHODE so we can put the discussion to bed. That, and that guy who got it will have internet again tomorrow so he can tell us.

>2016
>not having any kind of internet access at all times

Does he live in the 1900s?

Wait, so the problem here wiith chode is that nobody has it?

Fucking hell guys, CHODE is only 25 dorra, why don't you just get it for yourselves?

He's doing something for the weekend where he'll have no access.

Two people do. One is on vacation or something, the other is MIA.

I will. After I get more screens. Even if it turn out not /egg/ somehow it still sounds like a much ore autistic GalCiv and I am still okay with that.

>real botes fucking never
I would kill for real water in this goddamn game

>literally a way worse FtD
why

waiting for screens on the build interface

even then, the only thing worth hyping for in this general is Avorion and Dual, and both those games are going to be disappointments without a fucking doubt

Chode still tickles my particular brand of autism, so I'd be fine to find a place to discuss it with anyone else who wants even if it turns out not to be /egg/. I still like the fact everything is done with the proper formulas where they can be. I'm still tickled to see he actually put 'I couldn't find the Casaba Howitzer specs so I guesstimated the best I could' under limitations because that should be fairly obvious. I hope they're as moon-shatteringly powerful as they're memed to be.

Then have some.
Just completed the first mission.
It's basically the Dwarf Fortress of space games. Complexity and accuracy over all else, including graphics.

Torrent when?

Why not make space botes?

Okay, you have my attention.

Pst, hey тoвapищи here's your code for CODE:
unibytes com/baP4f83im_QLqw-Us4P3UgBB

>dwarf fortress
>accurate
pick one
but realism isn't that important anyway, it just needs to be believable.

There are no casaba howitzers in the game because the developer couldn't find enough acurate information about them, same thing about the ORION drive.

Doesn't the game call them nuclear shaped charge warheads or something?

I will dump what I have about chode and leave(I only did some quick shots)

>It's basically the Dwarf Fortress of space games

this is an insult to DF

I've been doing that for two years, user
it gets boring

Ohhhh. I think nuclear payload explosive lenses refers to the implosion charges, not a fancy name for casaba howitzers.

It's for a week. My desktop doesn't have internet access, but I can get wifi from elsewhere, so no screenshots.

I've not yet unlocked ship designer (though remember, you can 'cheat' unlock everything.

Projectile weapons have recoil. Their range is limited by the vibration of the barrel. If you hit an enemy with a ton of firepower it will also push them.

From what I know about naval guns, their projectile mass irl was limited by the ability of the entire mass of the ship to act as a stable platform for repeated shooting. That's why ww1 naval guns were scaled with the rest of the ship. Not sure if the game will behave the same if you put a stupidhuge gun on your ship.

Nukes aren't very impressive in space. I've had better results with conventional flak missiles.

I can retrieve the in-game physical properties of materials if you want.

And thats all, as far as I saw every parameter showed can be modified and all modifications are seen in real time.

Goodnight.

Jesus fuck

>it's possible to build a ship with a cheap shitty awful time bomb of a reactor that barely works
I like this. I like this a lot.

Talking about DF-level of elven-size dildo material customization...

It's been so long since I've played SE, and I've spent so much time playing FtD

My (very sleep-deprived) brain spent a solid 10 seconds staring at that image trying to figure out what the fuck any of those blocks are before I realized it wasn't FtD

why not play ftd?

Oh god.

Already tried FtD Hitler gave me a code but I didn't like it.

>reading the Children of a Dead Earth "Cataclysm" synopsis
More like "Manchildren of a Fucked to Death Earth", holy shit

BEHOLD

clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

THE STORY OF BIOCLANG

dead

>crossout has self destruct now, so that when you are almost dead, out of guns, or just want to take some fucker with you, you can kill or severely damage anything next to you

>crossout fags are complaining about it because ITS TOO OP
>but they forget that if they died to an ALLAHU ACKBAR suicide run, the enemy team is down a guy too, so it balances out

youtube.com/watch?v=wGPli1dNu_k

My CODE campaign got stuck on message like "Back out when you are ready to continue" or something so I turned it off. No idea how to build ships, ship design button in menu only shows existing designs, though there are some buttons that are locked fucking stupid. If this turns out to be /egg/ worthy, I hope someone will write a guide. Feels like an early access game especially with this UI and graphics.

What happened to lasers?

>DF-level
This is way beyond DF.

You can unlock everything from start by pressing the unlock all button in the infolinks section(choose the second topic from the top)

>I will have to rape it into them

>muh graphics

boomp

>no garrys mod

is it really that ded? wouldn't sandbox gmod be THE engineering game?

>dwarf fortress in space
you're adorable

>shoved factorio
Hello newfag. Factorio wasn't shoved anywhere but ur mums ass. It was here since forever. And who cares if "HURR DURR NO BLOCKS". I'm fine with spaceship sims as long as it isn't ksp