So fill me in americlaps. The crown victoria is dead and gone. What's the verdict on its replacements?

So fill me in americlaps. The crown victoria is dead and gone. What's the verdict on its replacements?
>fwd high tech taurus?
>classic but impractical dodge charger?
>explorer/tahoe?
I remember the widespread concern over the taurus' awd/turbo complexity. Was that valid?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Ford-Taurus-Police-AWD-/131898914868?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1eb5c9b834:g:GfEAAOSwbYZXWXoi&item=131898914868
cleveland.com/independence/index.ssf/2015/05/how_much_does_a_police_car_cos.html
youtube.com/watch?v=KWkDfP1bNlg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The panther was shit, but you can never truly replace a dinosaur.

The Explorer is of questionable usefulness to me. It can't offroad as well as its predecessors and it's as slow as a squad car from the 1990s.

>slow
In what universe?

My police department has mostly SUV now. Some patrol cars are still around as well as a bunch of unmarked cars obtained from asset seizures because lots of crimes allow the gov't to confiscate your home, bank accounts, cars, and media gear.

Someone asked why the switch to gas guzzling SUVs. The police answered they are more efficient than the patrol cars, carry more gear because police do a lot more than simply fight crime now, and because they can go places that stop a patrol car such as over curbs and obstacles.

Yeah I'd actually agree, as cool as pursuit cars are... in reality there are fuck all high speed pursuits that warrant a sporty car. However the ability to drive through a sandy lot is pretty useful.

They never have the twin turbo AWD model dude. Do you honestly think that a city budget would except the higher maintenance costs and higher initial purchase price? None of them are SHOs

in canada the taurus is AWD.

My city has quite a few SHOs, usually only the sergeants drive them. Even they have to take a driving/handling course before they're allowed to drive them, I guess they're a wee bit faster than the CVPI.

Ive seen tons of 3.5 ecoboost Taurus's that have been decommissioned for sale. I want to say 85% of Taurus's in use are that standard 3.5 with awd, with the rest being the 3.7, the 3.5 ecoboost and even rarer 2.0 ecoboost.

The Charger seems to be the most popular. There are lots of Explorers out there, Tahoes are popular too, and then the Chebby SS and Ferd Taurus are around too. A few Challengers in my area as well, but the Charger has been the most popular since the Crown Vic died.

retard

In my area its mostly explorers and tahoes, with some SHOs for interceptors

>panther
>shit

It was durable and tough, thats all that matters.

Kinda want, but kinda also dislike the interior.

ebay.com/itm/Ford-Taurus-Police-AWD-/131898914868?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1eb5c9b834:g:GfEAAOSwbYZXWXoi&item=131898914868

LEO here.

Drove both the crown vic and taurus. The vic has a ton more room inside the cabin and trunk, while the taurus feels so cramped after the center console and other shit is added. However the awd taurus drives so much smoother and is quicker imo. There would be so much body roll when making a turn with the vic

Police SHO is AWD. Impalas/Aussie Caprices are also available. Twin-turbo SHO is the ideal interceptor, Chargers and Chevythings have more interior space. Some parts of Indiana have fucking Mustangs.

>some parts of Indiana have mustangs
Shit, I've never even noticed any. I'm guessing up north?

Lots of Explorers in my neck of the woods. There's one unmarked Nissan Altima (yes, really) in my city that's used as an undercover traffic cop. Hilarious seeing it pull over dumbfucks that speed down the main arterial in town.

Local police departments here in Los Angeles seem to be testing all of the options, with the Explorer being the favorite. Chargers and Tauruses and the odd Caprice and Tahoe are out on the street, but don't even outnumber CVPIs yet.

As I understand it, CA Highway Patrol is switching to Explorers exclusively because none of the big 3's new sedan offerings have the same load rating (???) that the Crown Vic had.

Not that long ago I passed by the building where Feinstein's office is and saw 4 or 5 LAPD cars out front, with 3 different models just among them.

Yep. One of them had pulled a guy over on the toll road. I had a small chuckle.

Caprice would be GOAT if it weren't for the overly aggressive traction control. That being said, most of the LEOS around here either use the Ford Explorer or the Charger. Haven't see a lot of the Tauruses, and the Tahoes are getting sold off left and right.

It may look slow, but it'sfaster than you'd think

To get a Pursuit rating they just have to be faster than a Crown Vic

It must depend on your area, because Ontario has switched almost completely to the Taurus. Very few crown vics left, relatively. Hardly any chargers, as far as I know we only purchased a few as a "trial" and the cops don't like them.

And of course a few Tahoes and Explorers. More Tahoes at the moment, but maybe they just haven't done a large purchase of new Explorers yet. When they change vehicles, a lot of them seem to change all at once, as if they get bulk prices once every few years.

Not sure which variant of the Taurus we use, hopefully AWD so that they're not useless in the winter like the CVPIs were.

Nigga they can hop curbs like the old crown Victoria. The only thing really wrong with them is foot well space

>fwd high tech taurus?
I believe the Taurus interceptors are based off the 4th gen SHO, and are AWD.

What he said here High speed chases aren't that common (outside of LA) and if you just watch some Cops you will remember that most criminals are shit at driving and in shitboxes. Like the Cown Vic, it just needs to have more balls than most of the other stuff on the road. No matter what they drive, their cruisers aren't going to catch crotch rockets who run. And when dude in the stolen Porsche wants to run from the cops, they beat them with a helicopter and radios if they are going to catch him.

No u

There is a non-turbo V6 and fwd as the base line. Ford is going to release a 2.0 turbo too that is barely faster than the Vic.

Fuck off there are no SHO police cars you little shit

Police should get WRX's and maybe Foresters as SUV vehicles. Outbacks wouldn't be bad either.
Toyota 4runners aren't bad either

interceptors don't come with egoboobs actually
>yfw ecoboost is so shit not even fat cops want them

Cool bait, friend

Toronto Police has some SHOs

>State
Highway Patrol is using mostly Explorers. I've seen a Tahoe and Taurus now and then as well. I'm guessing they're leftovers from evaluations.

>Cities
Most of the city departments are going towards Tahoes. Phoenix used Tahoes long before, but Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Mesa all have large fleets. Mesa is the only one I've seen using Caprice's, and the occasional Dodge pops up in Scottsdale. Phoenix is still trudging some Crown Vics along and also use a lot of Impala's.

It seems retarded to me that ford didnt just make a purpose built interceptor like the CVPI.
That thing served 30 years? Now every 5-8 years theres gonna be new police cruiser variants, each with their own setup and parts and dimensions and shit...seems inconvenient

nga what?
They are plenty fair in stock trim and the ecoboost is faster than nearly everyone on Veeky Forums. It handles like a car with the space of a SUV.

In southern Illinois I have seen state boys running in Chargers, county sheriffs running in impalas, and and the locals in Taurus's and Explorers. So I guess its a mixed bag

Considering where I live money is no object for the local or federal police, cars seem to be a crap shoot based on department. However it is blatantly obvious the Ford Explorer is far superior to the 2wd Tahoe for city use, and the 4wd Tahoe still reigns supreme with the federal police who off-road. The older 2wd tahoe that was lowered was a huge hit but the new one gets no love compared to the explorer.

Yea. Could've easily just updated the design. Bigger engine and all that.

There's something imposing about how Chargers look as police vehicles.

Now I know. Thanks, user

My county police force have been picking up alot more Explorers and F-150's and when I asked a Sergeant I know, he said they are quick and with the low profile light bars many cars over look them and think they are roof racks.

As for the Squad cars, they use the Charger and Fusion mostly. The Officers preferred the Caprice but they said they had so much issues with delays ordering vehicles and parts from Australia that the car was denied.

WRXSTIPI

GOAT for sure

In Quebec, it's all Chargers. It really is the best compromise and seems to be a really good all-rounder. You'd assume a car with AWD would be preferred here because Fall starts October 2nd and Winter lasts until late March but it seems nobody asked for it.

Westcoaster here.
My city and county police forces have been going with the Explorer varient. They claim it's getting better real-world MPG's in patrol duty than the Tauruses... I suspect that's because it is less encouraging of leadfooted driving than the Taurus, not due to any efficiency in it's design. It's also nice for shoving perps into because the back doors are large and upright, and has the nice wide hip/shoulder room for geared-up cops like the Vic used to.

Every police agency in my region tried and immediately dumped the charger due to reliability issues.. at this point all the Chargers they bought in the early years after the crown vic's demise have all been relegated to unmarked duty or special task forces that involve mostly highway miles.

The tahoe and caprices they tested had too many suspension failures in urban patrol duty for the local police and county sheriffs departments to buy large numbers, but the state patrol has been buying them for highway/rural use.

See This police department had two of them. They were probably both confiscated from people.

>The Officers preferred the Caprice but they said they had so much issues with delays ordering vehicles and parts from Australia that the car was denied
It's also going out of production in 2017.

>R

There were a bunch of tauruses from the first wave of them, but everything new is either an explorer or f-150.

It makes sense considering the explorer is a taurus station wagon with the ground clearance to hop curbs.

Literally every cop car I've seen in the last few years has been either a Dodge Charger, Challenger or a Chebby Tahoe

I was pretty sad when they stopped using Crown Vics, but I honestly think the Taurus is a worthy replacement.

>asset seizures

Considering that asset forfeiture was supposed to remove "criminal tools" from organized criminal organizations (like gangs and mafias), it's pretty fucked up that now the police are basically just abusing it to secure more funding and attacking people who often aren't even charged with a crime. My local PD has been known to seize shitboxes from teenagers just for having weed in the car.

high-po around here all get chargers and tauruses.

city cops get a few tauruses and (mostly) ford escapes.

>Challenger cop car

cleveland.com/independence/index.ssf/2015/05/how_much_does_a_police_car_cos.html
also
>dem fucking prices

They drive cars.

The challengers here are all black, not like the post directly below yours

great, this is what i pay taxes for so cops can drive challengers to pull me over

Makes sense to me. Why design a car to last 30 years, when you can sell them modded versions of regular cars 4-6 times in that time instead?

American """"""""""justice""""""""""""""""

>go to Murrika
>there are dozens of federal law enforcement departments
>and dozens of state law enforcement departments
>and several county law enforcement departments
>and countless private "cops"
>and they all have different liveries and you're never sure whether you're being stopped by an actual policeman or just some campus cop clown on a power trip who has no legal force against you

Unfortunately that wouldn't happen or is very likely to not.

Buying a fleet of vehicles will alway be cheaper if they are domestic. Since the factories are in the country there's less tax and import fees or some bullshit.
That's why you always see Chevys,Fords, and Dogdes as service vehicles.
The source for parts and repairs are cheaper too.

Also
>police meant to be your friend and helper and provide a feeling of safety in public through their presence alone
>sneaky fucking unmarked cop cars and cop cars with very dark grey livery on black paint for traffic revenue generation still legal

>Not recording every conversation and shit when you get pulled over
>Not recording the fuck outta any kind of campus cop or any kind of authority stop
>Not knowing the entire system is designed so that you can sue the state and get money
>Choosing to fight back then, instead of lawering up and getting mad sheckles later.
Being detained as fuck.

This is entirely because making money off speeders is now a business. If a marked cop car was rolling, people behave. An unmarked car, no one behaves until some unlucky dude gets pulled over. It's not about catching trouble makers, it's just money.

Unfortunate most police forces around the world have some unmarked cars.

Unmarked shouldn't be patrolling traffic, unmarked should be for when unmarked is needed.

>Select boats
>Ford galaxie
Nice.

It pretty well all boils down to one simple test.

>Do they have blue lights flashing?
If not, they likely have no legal sway over your actions.

>tough

It had terrible side impact ratings.

youtube.com/watch?v=KWkDfP1bNlg

Subaru has factories in America

literally 90% of cop cars on Oahu are 4runners

The worse it is for cops, the better.

The pigs are forced to drive FWD-biased land barge Tauruses and fucking soccer mom Explorers now around here. It's fantastic.

I've seen undercover duranos in my area

Yeah sure Ill give you that but I meant for driving around down and running over potholes/curbs and some light offroading its great. You can also beat the piss out of them even in hot weather for long times and they wont struggle.

Actually, because Police are government jobs, most departments have restrictions forcing them to buy domestically made cars to support the country's economy.

It's for this reason that the Chevrolet Caprice and Dodge Charger are not more widespread, because they're manufactured outside of the country (Australia and Canada).

From what I heard CHPS threw a bitch fit when they discontinued the Panther platform because they couldn't use they're frame bender anymore

>it's pretty fucked up that now the police are basically just abusing it

There's financial incentive because a lot of communities "support their heroes" by allowing part of the seized properties' auction profits to be deposited into police retirement pension & benefits funding.

ACTA (which failed) and TPP (still needs a ratification vote in the usa senate) criminalized copyright violations and piracy (sharing). It also allows seizure of property of those committing piracy similar as if they were distributing weed out of their home. Thus, an unintended consequence of piracy would be the seizure of homes of major bittorrent piracy users or seizure of your car if you used its built-in wifi router to pirate something. This is why voters should pay attention instead of giving smat-aleck "wear your tinfoi hat" or "lol, who cares" one-liner comments.

In my country they all use F-150s
Given how popular the F-150 is in murica (most sold right?) why isn't it your standard cop vehicle?

It's not agile nor fuel efficient. It also simply doesn't fit in a lot of compact urban areas.

If you're using F150s as basic police vehicles I'm going to guess you're Mexican? I've heard crazy shit about the Federal Police tuning 700hp+ from the F150s your cops use. How aren't your cops engines detonating?

I saw and undercover Ford Fusion and Ford f150 both brand new

I believe ISP has some unmarked Mustangs. I've seen them on I-65 and I-465 pulling people over.

Around my area here in so cal
Almost if not all sheriffs have crown Vics still and tahoes for the sergeants.
Police has been a grab bag. Some still have crown vics, some have chargers and some have explorers. Usually will carry 2 of the 3.
Highway patrol is crown vic and explorer. Occasional Silverado 2500

Crown Vic still remains easiest to spot coming up behind you.
Chargers have same headlight setup with turn signals inset to headlights. Slightly harder as they have some curve.
Explorers really blend in. I personally haven't got the headlamp in rear view down so they tend to be more sneakier, even more so at night. Can't really recall any Taurus vehicles.
It seems like any new purchases have all been explorers for the most part.

I have talked to a couple cops about this and they said that most everyone in the department prefers explorers.

>taurus
most are N/A so no ecoboobs to squish

>charger
electrical issues and transmission (who'd've thunk lol) from what I hear from the local guys

>explorer
top heavy taurus

>tahoe
arguably the most reliable on the list but still plagued with dash cluster issues and 4wd engagement with high miles

The Tahoe did not have a 4x4 option for police until this year.

I would expect cops to prefer the Explorers regardless of their actual performance, just because they're so much more comfortable to get in and out of all day.

The main guy i asked said they are preferable because of their utility, storage space, ability to offroad, interior room and the speed difference isn't as bad as people would expect.

That's true for several cars.

Yeah, but we're a special case. HPD has a program that subsidizes officers' personal vehicles if they use them as their patrol cars, they probably have a list of approved vehicles to choose from. But for whatever reason, unmarked 4Runners are so common that I react to them on instinct like I would to a Crown Vic. Too fucking hard to tell between an unmarked 4Runner driven by a cop and a normal one with a surf rack on top.

Haven't seen another Hawaii p/o/ster on here in a long time. Are you military?