Tell me Veeky Forums, what is the drivers license process like in your country/state? Is it difficult? Expensive?

Tell me Veeky Forums, what is the drivers license process like in your country/state? Is it difficult? Expensive?

If you are under 16 you have to pay a crap ton of money to get it and pass a bunch or tests and permits.
Me I just walked into the dmv at 19 and payed 34$ for the written test. And passed that. After you schedule your driving test for free and if you pass you get your license. So basically only 34$ to get it if your over 18 and like 300$ if your under 18

>get learners permit by passing a theoretical exam
>after three months, pay 39 euroshekles to attempt the driving exam
>have to take driving school if you fail two times
other than that it's piss cheap and in theory you could have a license for €56

This is Belgium by the way, most young drivers are absolute shit because only their parents taught them to drive, resulting in bad habits or just shit skills in general. They're going to make driving school mandatory some time in the future though.

>Get a leaner's permit for like 40 euros because medical examination at 16
>get into driving school at like 17
>go through 55 hours and like 100+ euro worth of theoretical lectures from a licensed instructor
>Drive at least 14 hours(minimal limit) with a licensed driving instructor. (Mine took 15 euro for 1 and half hour)
>turn 18
>Pass a 30 question, maximum of 3 mistakes theoretical exam (14 euros)
>Pass a 2 figure (always parallel parking, and something else, like starting on a slope, or parking backwards into a garage, etc)
>Pass an about 40 minute driving on the road exam (40 euros)
>Pay 22 euros for your license
it's in Latvia. I got lucky, because my class is small and my school paid for us 10 who wanted the license. I only had to pay for the license and the tests. I drove the bare minimum and got everything on my first try, so paid like a bit over 100 euros all together. A lot of people get it on their second, or third try, so it adds up a lot.
Also, they will make it harder to get the license next year, raise the bare minimum of driving hours, etc. Shit's funny for me and i don't give a shit, since i got my license.

Got normal at 16 test was cake driving was cake even did the proper procedure for parking on a hill (hand brake on wheels towards curb)

>Turn 18
>Register for the exam: 10€
>Theoretical classes 30: 50€
>Practical Classes: 1 class: 10€, minimum 16 classes
>Register for the practical exam: 10€
>Pay 16€ for the drivers license itself

it is far too lenient in USA
>have to take driving test only once
>can take it in a rural town with almost nobody there
>dreaded parallel parking section in rural area is a joke where they give you almost 12 feet space on front and back which doesn't line up with reality
>license is good anywhere now
>only have to "renew" every 3-5 years and the only test is a vision test, they don't ask a single question about rules
>if you move to another state, it depends on the timeframe but if you renew with the lame vision test within a month then you get a full license
old people don't just suck at driving because they're old, the last time they will have taken a driving test will be 60 years ago

Dutchcancer here
over 2000 yuro spent and no success yet

UK
>Get provisional at 16 with no tests
>Can drive if accompanied by a driver with 3+ years on their licence and showing L plates
>£30~ theory test, pretty lenient
>No minimum driving hours
>£60~ practical

Passed mine after 24 hours learning first time

>perhaps worlds most expensive
>perhaps worlds highest standard

I paid something like $2200 for my normal car license, which is a very average sum

>can only do it at 18
>have to pay for a bunch of different shit
>need to pay separately for your theory test
>need to pay separately for and pass a Red Cross first aid test
>there are a bunch of rules instructors don't follow
>most of the time you don't get to drive out of town or during the night
>no show me tell me questions like people in the UK have
>a lot of the time you drive a literal shitbox that's borderline illegal to drive
>if you pass your driving test you need to pay for more shit and wait a month until you get your license

Fucking Eastern Europe.

It's pretty difficult, costs around 1500 dollars if you succeed the first try, additional tests will cost you about 100-200 dollars a piece

It lasts almost a lifetime and you only have to get medical checkups once you turn 75 or thereabouts

This is how it goes in GA, USA

>Turn 15
>Pass a 30 question test and pay 15$ for a Learner's Permit
>Turn 16 and have Permit for a year
>Pay for Driver's Ed classes
>take road test and leave with license
>OR turn 17 and take road test and leave with license, no need for drivers Ed
>OR be 18, get Permit, next day take the road test and walk out with a license

>take the test and walk out with a license

I'm so fucking jelly of this. Met some British dude that took the test, and then drove his instructor home, then picked up his gf to hoon somewhere, whereas we have to wait a fucking month.

I know a dude who drove to the test without a license, parked it nearby, got his license and drove home, now with a license.

>be french
>be 16
>go to driving school pay a third of 1300€
>they take you test driving with a monitor
>evaluate your knowing give between 22-30 hours of driving before passing the final test

>study in driving school for the first exam once you got less than 5 false answers
>on average you can go pass the theoretical exam
>pay the second third of 1300€
>do 22-30 of driving with monitor
>pay the last third of 1300 €

>be 18 for the exam you can underage when you learn but still have to be 18 when you pass the exam
>pass your exam usually it's 30 min of driving while doing 2 maneuvers (reverse or park)
>45€ for each supplementary hours you need
>driving school won't register you for a driving exam if you don't retake some hours after failling one test
>because if their student fail they loose spots to register student to the driving exams
>pay 80€ for retake the exam if you fail

that pretty much it that takes around 3-4 month or less depending on how you can do the hours of driving with a monitor

you can pass it differently thought where you drive with your parents after having the theoretical exam but i don't know much about this one

Meh this is going to become the norm in many European countries within 5 years, right now it's about 2 grand in The Netherlands as well because you have to take like 20 hours of mandatory lessons.

Better driving education has been proven to reduce traffic deaths so most countries will pass these laws as well some time soon, or at least I think so.

Fucking based.

FL here
I got my learners permit at 15 which allows for driving under adult supervision (21+) I drove a lot with that

Then I took drivers ed at my high school and passed the class, and also passed my driving and written examinations for the licence.

The day I turned 16 I took a trip to the DMV and picked up my licence and it took like 5 minutes because I showed then the drivers ed certification, and that was it

It was piss easy, but its been so long I don't remember the costs involved with it

>tfw FL
>tfw too scared to take the driver license test

Wisconsin

>sit in a few classes
>take the written test
>a few driving practice sessions
>take the drivers test
>license

Mine was cheap
>Be 15 and 9 months or so
>Sign up for segment 1, $0 courtesy of school and my GPA
>This lasts for a month of so, get 10 hours of free driving experience
>Free permit after passing class
>X months later take segment 2, $0 courtesy of school and my GPA
>Like a 3 day course and pass
>Scheduled driving test, $25 or so
>Pass first time with 1 warning; didn't make a complete stop
>Head to SOS and get my license
>Licensed at 16

Unfortunately still had to pedal my ass to work as insurance & registration was more than I could afford working 2 days a week.

If you had a low GPA it was like $250-300 for the two class segments combined. I don't know, HS was stupid easy.

>have to attend a minimum of 28 hours of theoretical lessons to take the driving theory exam
>have to take a minimum of 32 hours of driving lessons before taking the driving exam

Why would it be the highest standard? lol

>have to pass written test
>must wait 12 months and get 100 hours supervised experience
>can take practical test
>if you pass, you're on a restricted license for 12 months
>after that, you're on a slightly less restricted license for another 12 months
>and then you get your full license

They didn't even make me parallel park when I got tested, shit was a joke

I will now tell how shitty it is to get one in the Philippines.
>17 yr old's can only get student driver's permit. 18 is for non-pro license.
>that means with a parent or an adult with a license at all times. If you get caught alone, hella expensive fines or they could tow your car
>anyone could get a license
>literally anyone as long as you have money.
>if no fixer you go through normal bullshit. The whole 9 yards.
>waiting and standing for almost 9 to 12 hours to get your name called
>we have people called "fixers"
>they are all standing around all sketchy like outside of our dmv's (lto)
>you pay them, they do everything for you.
>I paid.
>My test had answers when it was given to me. Others took em almost an hour to do.
>took me 2 mins
>no driving test, the course was a joke.
>literally one patch of land that you have to go around in a tight squeeze. No room for anything else.
>one turn and test is done.
>i didn't take the test, because they saw me drive into the lot to get my license.
>yeah.the authorities saw me drive alone in an establishment where i need to get a permit to drive in the first place.
>they don't give a shit.
>saw my car, gave me alk the chops and stamps and shit.
>took me 2 hours for everything because of the fixer.
>others there were still waiting. They've been there all morning and most likely will still be there all afternoon.
I think I spent 130 usd overall.
That's why all the driver's are shit here. I practiced day in and day out when I got my first car and I didn't have a license. There is no standard or common knowledge how not to drive like an asshole.

>pass written test, miss only 1 question
>pass driven test, pass by 1 point
>full blown license ever since with 2 renewals so far

I guess i aint all bad in California.

Learner plates when you are 16 for 120 hours (have to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver)
After learner plates you go on Red P plates for a year which is basically "ok you can drive by yourself but fuckup once and we take the license"
then there is green P plates for 3 years, during that time no v8's, no turbos, no more than 125kw/tonne, no performance mods of any type.

Which is funny because pic related is a LAMS approved motorcycle and it makes around 260kw/tonne and that is including rider+gear weight.

>have to have card stating you passed drivers Ed in school to be eligible to attempt to get permit
>have to pass written test for permit
>have to take $300 behind the wheel class to be eligible for license
>have to spend 20 hours day driving, 20 hours night driving with a parent or guardian to actually take drivers test
>fail twice, have to pay $275 for exam class
Fuck Virginia

Sheit
>eligible for permit at 15 1/2
>if 19 just pass written test and begins the wheel
>bang license

I had to take a theory test. And I had to take another theory test before my permit, which I had to hold for at least 180 days I think.

Getting a motorcycle is easy depending on what state you're in. In FL all I had to do was take the MSF class (two days) and present the card to the Tax Collectors Office / DMV. In SC I would have had to pass a theory test, hold a learner's permit for 180 days, then take the practical exam.

Gotta say the MSF course was really good, they were a little too lenient on some people, but I knew next to nothing going in and pretty much owned it.

>lolrussia
When I worked, my monthly salary minus bus/metro money was like 18000 roubles first job, 23000 second job (they gave me free public transport tickets).

>finish driving school (theory + practice) for like 22000-40000 rubles
>get medical check-up (eyes and other stuff) for your own money - 2000 rubles
>get a paper from drug addiction center that says you're not a junkie
>get a paper from a local alcohol addiction center that says you're not a drunkard
>pay tax to undergo exam - 2000 roubles
>pass exam (theory + practice)

Exam from September 1st: 19/20 theory question (and if you make that one mistke it's +4 questions). 5/6 hard practice exercises + driving around town with the examiner. Of course they now have cameras and shit so bribing your way through it isn't really viable in Moscow if you don't have people you know in the road inspection. Father went to exchange his license (just the document) saw people trying to pass, he said like 10% pass. Now there are lost of people trying to pass quickly before harder examination from Sept. 1st though.

Hey Americans, how many driving lessons and practice hours are usually needed to pass a driving test? Assuming I can only drive in an empty parking lot.

I'm a student here, never bothered to learn driving in my home country (big city, subway etc), but in the US life without a car is miserable.

Really hard to say. Road test failures are usually the result of really dumb easy to overlook stuff.
>didn't adjust mirrors
>didn't set hand brake
>didn't check see if passenger was buckled up

Obviously you need to be somewhat confident, or you'll be a nervous wreck and screw up because of that.

Once you know the items they're looking for, can start/stop smoothly, preform the tasks (backing in a straight line, stopping on a hill, parallel parking), and are not a nervous wreck with someone else on the car you'll be fine.

No offense, but how is traffic in Russia? All i see is dashcam footage and they can't drive for shit

>No offense, but how is traffic in Russia?
Only really bad in Moscow. Everywhere else is relatively free to drive through.

>All i see is dashcam footage and they can't drive for shit
No one would upload a video without something happening on it, right? So so many people have dashcams and they upload every time they catch a crash. I don't think it's accurate representation in terms of "how often", but damn some of that shit is like "this will never happen outside of Russia".

>can't drive for shit
It's mostly because people ignore the rules and act like retards rather than actual driving skills. A lot of younger drivers are women though and of course, they're terrible.

Way too easy and lenient here in Florida. I won't delve into the learner permit process, as I have no experience with that, I went straight to the test.

For the written test (on computer) the lady behind the desk said "don't worry if you don't know the answer, just hit skip and you won't be penalized" and winked. I looked at her in disgust and said "that's stupid, no wonder so many people are getting killed on the road." She looked angry. I passed it 100% because it's easy. Teenager next to me, even with the luxury of skipping, had one above a failing grade. God help us all, they passed him.

The driving test was easy, passed it no problem. Felt it was too easy. After I got back, I overheard the instructor talking to a teenage girl in a convertible parked diagonally in the spot. I shit you not, this happened.

"Okay, you went 50 in a 40, you turned into the wrong lane, luckily there were no cars there. You almost went off the road when I asked you to back up in a straight line and you did go off the road when asked to do a 3 point turn."

"So... I failed...?"

"I didn't say that. I'm passing you, but I want to you to go to an empty parking lot and practice."

"Yay! Thank you so much!"

My day at the DMV was the most infuriating thing ever. And the funny thing was I hadn't driven in a decade and never drove that particular car before, plus I only thumbed through the book the night before and I passed with flying colors. Not speaking highly of myself, the test was too easy.

>be 18
>pay ~$45
>medical tests (vision + reaction)
>theory test
>pick day and time for driving test
>take driving test, have to bring your own car
>unless you do something absolutely retarded like ignoring a stop sign, it's easy to pass
>wait a bit while they print your license
>go home

These are what I paid. First stage is close to 2000€ in Funland, can start when you're 17
>19 h theory
>18 h driving
>driving practice on track (emergency braking, evasion, what to do in accident etc.)
>driving in dark (can be one with simulator (which is shit))
>get doctor's note of driving ability (free or cheap if you're student)
>theory test (easy if you have common sense)
>practical test 45 min. (can be strict, up to luck if the person evaluating you has a good or bad day)
You now have a short term license

Second stage 195€, a month or two after first
>1 h theory
>2 h of driving: one hour individual, one hour in group

Last stage 440€, a year or two after first
>1 h theory
>2 h driving
>spend a day on track again: 2 h of driving, 3 h of theory
You now have a licence that's good for 15 years

Of course, should you fail your practical, you get assigned more driving hours and have take the test again, which add to the price.

What country? I have to wait two weeks for them to print my license

Chile