Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,
I just got my first car, pic related.

1995, 95.000KM (60.000miles) on it
1.6L 75HP

Should I change anything or let it be stock?

VR6 or 1.8T engine swap

>VR6

I'd rather just straight buy a Corrado VR6

Leave it stock. Great first car. Watch out for rust on the boot lid.

95k are quite rare already for those so leave it the fuck stock.

if maintained, only rust could end its life. good for another 300k or even more.

>1.6L 75HP
What the fuck? I've literally never seen a car with less than 100 horsepower on the road.

The weakest engine we ever owned was a focus with a Duratec 2.0L SOHC I FOUR SPI. 110 hp basically a Mazda motor.

how the fuck do you get only 75 hp out of a 1.6l

My diesel also makes 75hp. Over 100hp is illegal in europe.

Swap in ecoboost

the HP seems low for a Golf, my Seat Ibiza got 105hp.

the 100hp limitation is only for motorcycle.

It's a VW engine from about 1990, modern engines get more bang for the buck.

OP, don't change anything, be on lookout for rotten coolant hoses and the cracks in the knobs of the radiator which the hoses go into.

Make sure to keep a good eye on oil level, and I would recommend a gearoil change if it hasn't had one in newer time.

I had the same engine in a 1998 skods felicia, the hoses started decaying and it threw the water while hott 4 times. Engine started up fine everytime and it kept rocking after 280.000 kilometers.

You can expect about 14-15 km/l if you drive normally and not too heavy on the speeder foot. Up to 17-18 km/l on long stretches of country roads.

Don't redline it too much, it's not a sports engine, and it is 21 years old, so it's not a racer, but for an old shitbox it can still get some amount of power to the wheels so accellerating from traffic stops is not a problem to keep up with the flow.

OP here

I'm going to leave it stock at the beginning. Maybe just change headlights and rims, and get a different HiFi onboard.

Probably going to do a VR6 engine swap later on if the car survives more then a year of driving.

Also, 75HP is reasonable for a first car in europe, because insuring a car gets more expensive the more HP you add. To add onto this it is, car insurance is also more epensive for beginners, and the price goes down the longer you are insured without having any car accidents.

Thanks for the tip user, I had my grandfather take a thorough look at it, he is a mechanic for 40+ years now and still works on cars in his freetime after he retired so I think I should be covered.

>You can expect about 14-15 km/l if you drive normally and not too heavy on the speeder foot. Up to 17-18 km/l on long stretches of country roads.

Thats pretty fucking bad even for a 90s shitbox.

>~6l/100km
>pretty fucking bad
>in a 90's shitbox

You don't know jack shit, do you?

My current DD is a NA diesel golf mk2.
Whole 54 hp

Yeah, this.
You're either an idiot, or you've misinterpreted "km/l" with "mpg" because you're an idiot.

>What the fuck? I've literally never seen a car with less than 100 horsepower on the road.

I feel so fucking old now and I was born in the 80's...

Also, 75HP is reasonable for a first car in europe, because insuring a car gets more expensive the more HP you add. To add onto this it is, car insurance is also more epensive for beginners, and the price goes down the longer you are insured without having any car accidents.

This is fucking bullshit...
You have no idea about europe insurances...

>Yeah, this.

5.5 to 8l were the absolute NORM for hatches in the 90's.

9 to 10l / 100km was the absolute meme consumption number for sedans, in the 90's right into the mid 2000s, at least here in Germoney.

If you don't believe it, just try to remember the absurd HYPE there was around 99/00 when the Lupo 3L came out. A tiny city car that was able to get down to 3l / 100k (in perfect driving conditions).
The hype would have never been that big if cars would have consumed normally around 4 or 3 at that time.

>just try to remember the absurd HYPE there was around 99/00 when the Lupo 3L came out.
how is he supposed to remember it when he was born at that date

double vr6 swap

one in front, one in trunk

>75hp
W-what? Is this how euros actually live?

>buying VW Golf 3 EVER

ill just assume you are retarded af.

Don’t forget that we have mainly have manuals with decent gear ratios, so MUH DISPLACEMENT isn’t that important for daily commutes.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine normal.people driving manual as a burger. The lowest hp cars I've seen around here are, very rarely, older gas crisis cars, like geo metro, maybe a 98hp Pontiac fiero.

What country are you in? Here I could drive for six hours and still be in the same state.

t. murrican with 8L vee eight with 130hp

Uhm It was gifted to me by my grandfather, and I'll take a free car over buying one thanks amerifat

Is it a diesel? Diesel engines often have low HP ratings compared to gasoline engines because they don't rev. Torks is what matters in that case.

Golfs are great cars, you're just bloody retarded.
They are cheap, reliable and look great regardless of generation.

Or you preffer shit-cars like Ford Ka or Twingo for a starter?

It's a petrol
VAG's 1.6 and 1.9 NA diesels of that time had 54 and 68 hp respectivly.

4.6l and 260 actually.

Those are Lupo sized cars

Nitro it

how is this relevant to the post you replied to?

>focus with a Duratec 2.0L
I bought a Focus Zetec 2.0L but fucked if I know what HP it has.
Everything stock, but if I'm going to accessorize, I'll probably get a UHF radio in it.

Ah, just found, 128hp.

The zetec got like 130 hp. It was DOHC and that's why it got that horses over the SPI which was SOHC.

Also those Zetecs are GREAT for turbocharging. Everyone does it, so if you ever want a project. Turbo that Zetec.

SPI can't really be turbocharged, it's valves are too weak. They're known for dropping.

Not that it matters, my focus is gone to that big race track in the sky. Too much rust killed her. Still she got over 500,000 kilometers on her. Never gave me any trouble either. I put her front Ford badge in my new car, to remind me of my focus.

Excuse me, i have a sad now.

My little Focus has little over half her life ahead at this rate, going by your girl's 500k. HIt a round 207k coming home from Adelaide Sunday.

Treat her well, and i'm sure she'll go over 500k.

Also helps if you keep rust in check, mine was killed by road salt and winter.

I have her rear badge on my wall, something my dad used to do. Any car that was nice to him until he towed it, he would take it's rear badge off (because it's the easiest to remove) and put it on his wall.

He didn't have that many badges, but he had a Suzuki, a Honda and a Lincoln of all things and some parts from his MUTT M151 and Willies jeep. I only have my ford on the wall, so far every car i've owned has died of it's own accord, my ford probe would have earned the place but it killed it's engine.

Cool story, bro.

stance that bitch out