Going to check out a 1995 viper rt/10 today for sale for 22k. Is this a fair price...

Going to check out a 1995 viper rt/10 today for sale for 22k. Is this a fair price? The kbb was around 16k but that number is usually bullshit because of demand, options, etc

that red car is so sexy

If you have the balls to drive it then do it

yea it's a good price. These are on the cusp of appreciation, so it's a solid purchase.
One of the rare occasions when you can view an automotive purchase as an investment

I agree with every post in this thread. Possibly a first for Veeky Forums. If my weekend/backup/garage queen were worth ten times as much it'd probably be a car just like this.

Rts are the least desirable Viper and 22k in any condition for me is too much.

it might be too much for you but I see them going for ~30k around here

I contemplated an earlier generation viper before I purchased my c5z. But I came from a 4th gen catfish so vette was natural choice. I love to hoon, and that deterred me from really looking into vipers. Would love to own one someday. The body styling is very sexy and owning a v10 sports car is very alluring. If you are at the point where you're going to check it out, if everything is kosher buy that shit. Looks like it was well kept, irregardless of the age.

Unless the price goes up very quickly I doubt it's a good investment. Adjusted for inflation cars are usually terrible investments. The investment returns on all but the most valuable collector cars that fluctuate wildly in price are usually dwarfed by almost guaranteed returns in much safer investment platforms. If by investment you mean OP could buy now for $22k and then maybe sell later and not lose a huge amount. Maybe. But if OP sells for $30k in 5-10 years that may be a loss adjusted for inflation, and certainly a loss based on other safer or just as safe investments he could pursue.

Wut

Bruh it's a Dodge Viper, look up their new price. Old ones are already over 40k where I am.

If you sat down and ran the financials on investing in a run of the mill Dodge Viper I highly doubt you're looking at any decent investment returns. Maybe better than interest in a high yield savings account, maybe. Cars just typically aren't long term investments because even if they go up in value, unless it's quite dramatic it usually doesn't outstrip other forms of safer, more guaranteed investments or even inflation at all (which means it's a loss for those less economically inclined). Buying something for $20k and selling it for $40k means you probably made a gain (it might not though surprisingly), but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a good investment. Especially if you could have invested that $20k another way and made a better return either quicker or higher or both.

Cheap first gens are tempting but they are cheap for a reason. The engine was the only highlight, the body and everything else was thrown together for production. They aren't even that aerodynamic. It wasn't until the 2nd gen that the body and suspension got real engineering put into it. So I think a 2nd gen or newer would be a much better choice.

The other gain you're forgetting is getting to drive a Dodge Viper. We're not talking about making money to live off, we're talking about buying the car, enjoying it for a while, and being able to sell it and not lose much if not any money from the experience. He could spot trade the Viper for a very nice family car in the future if he has to, and if he doesn't like it and wants say a newer Mustang GT instead he still comes out with money in his pocket. Appreciation in a car is obviously a shit way to make money but it's a good way to go into a car without worrying about losing money trying something new.

Try to find a GTS OP. They made a lot of improvements on the GTS over the RT 10.

O and you're going to need a set of brass balls to tame the fucking thing to. Those cars will kill you if they get the chance.

Not including the fun factor, pussy magnet factor, smiles per mile...

Lol learn to finance

I'd rather invest my money more sensibly and then buy the Viper and enjoy it for what it is. An expensive toy not an investment.

nb4 check out my mom's sick honda accord. over $20k invested.

guy you replied to here
no one is arguing that cars aren't usually terrible investments or suggesting investment implies huge return.

If it increases in value, it's an investment.
Weather you "feel" op should invest in Apple or buy real estate instead is kinda irrelevant.

everyone probably thinks you're an autistic nit picking retard, but I know you mean well ;)

Jesuis you americucks get cheap prices, in meriburgerland a miata is what aboiut 1-2k here in Canada the cheapest one is 5-6k, cheapest viper is 45-50k

I too have experienced these emotions

Also insurance in GTA a fuck.

I bet you're fun at parties.