Subaru general

Left my job at honda about a month ago to work for subaru.

Ask a subaru mechanic anything.
im still learning about boxer engines so i will answer your questions as best as i can.

Other urls found in this thread:

lansing.craigslist.org/cto/5713262652.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you vape? The salesman who sold me my wrx vaped

You hear about the passenger airbag recall? My car is part of that

Why do these threads always have horrible grammar? Only NEETs should type this poorly.

who gives a shit about grammar you autistic assburger

yes i vape. my dealership has 3 sales guys that vape
yeah i have we have a long wait list. subaru of america hasnt given us the airbags yet. but we can do a few on the older legacys and outbacks

How do I turn off the fucking hill assist on my wrx.

thoughts on new base WRX? seems like a good deal for 26k. How can i get one for less than asking?

what year is it?

most subaru dealerships right now have deals on the base wrx. i highly recommend it over the BRZ and the BRZ is only 1300$ less then the base wrx. and you get a turbo charger and 68 more horsepower. you can negotiate the sticker price. if you cant negotiate they might throw in some free accessories with your new wrx for like 27 28k

so out the door i probably won't get one for less than 27k?

doubtful you still have to pay the tax on it the cheapest i have heard anyone getting a base wrx was for about 28k but not over that

cool, i find it funny how people are dumb enough to buy the highest trim WRX's almost equaling same price as base STI, for the car it is you don't need all that bullshit leather seats,sunroof,headlights and shit

no definetly agree i would buy a base no problem i would like a sunroof but thats about it i dont need leather or led headlights or any of that shit. we have a few premium wrx on out lot that are over 30k like, dude id rather have a base sti for that price haha

plus, the WRX has a timing chain. ALL sti's have timing belts. i dont know about you guys but id rather have a chain.

any discounts on any new vehicles?

we just got our 2017 models in so there is a few incentives
all 2016 models are on sale right now. if you guys are thinking about buying any type of subaru wait until the end of the month
seriously if you ever heard of the term waiting to the end of the month to buy a car its true because we are all scrambling to make quota and to sell cars. seriously.

but they hold value really well, how much can a 16' base wrx drop?

holy shit why are 2004 wrxs 10k

probaly not much. we have a base in our showroom that has a tag on it that says "manager special ask for details" but keep in mind everyone and their mother was probably rowing through the gears without the clutch pushed in. you know, dry shifting? kind of cringe worthy. i seen a few teen girls doing that shit. pisses me off

How much more of a pain in the ass is maintanence on a subaru than some 4cyl honda? Im from the land of no subarus so have never had any hands on time with one

You wouldn't have perchance heard anything about the new STI's, would have you? Any news come down the totem pole?

spark plugs are harder to do since the heads are on the left and right side oil changes on the older ones are still a pain. newer subarus have the filters on top. but the boxer engines have everything on top which is easily accessable. so i think its about easier if you have a newer on or a little harder with the older ones. pic related.

How do you feel about the CVTs in the WRX and Forester XT? I'm about to buy a new car but cannot row gears due to chronic injury.

i personally hate the cvt. and the fact that the xt forester and wrx has that option kind of annoys me. its gutless and dumb in my opinion only advantage it has in those vehicles is better miles per galon. if you have an injury than i guess its best for you to get one. but if you could id still get the wrx. the xt forester is only cvt regardless

Perfect timing, OP.

In a couple months I'll be trading in my F150 toward an older (early 00's to ~'06) Subaru Forester, in manual. Engine doesn't really matter to me.

What can you warn/recommend when it comes to looking at these? Is mileage a huge concern? I read somewhere that at 100k miles, you are to replace the timing belt.

Thanks in advance.

how long have you worked at subaru and what state are you in, iv been a subaru tech for two+ years now up in the new england area and god damn these things attract rust like fucking magnets.

Are the boxers reliable? The answer to this question basically decides whether or not I buy an FR-S

not OP just make sure it's got service records, especially timing belt

I might be about to get a 2000-2004 WRX and I don't own a vape yet how fucked am I? But srsly, how bad are these cars? In terms of performance and comfort they're everything I need with two extra wheels getting power, but reliability and any details about them are a bit of a grey area.

Yes they are, they just tend to have headgasket issues around 120,000 mile intervals due to oil and coolant laying on the bottom part of the engine head gasket at all time. They also use a bit of oil which is completely normal for a boxer engine. I purchased a 2016 brz this past FEB and it was the best car i have ever driven. i recently turbo charged it and god damn it puts a smile on my face and an erection in my pants every time i turn that key. So yes, get the frs/brz/gt86 its well worth it.

not op but 2004 was the golden year for the STI these things are the greatest in terms of getting more power for the bang of your buck. Just look it over for rust on the frame and most likely its going to be beat on so you may need some engine work in the future.

Neat, good to know about that headgasket thing.

I was looking at the FR-S because it seems like a relatively no frills 4banger "driver's car". It even has a similar curb weight to my current old coupe econobox. I don't know why America gets the Scion. I rather like the Toyota badge.

what turbo kit and how much was the whole build?

Modern Automotive Performance turbo kit, ran 3500 went down to 3300 because the intercooler that showed up had a cosmetic dent in it from being shipped. The dyno tune cost me 800. But its well worth it. Also being a technician I put everything on myself, roughly 10 hours to figure out how to throw everything together.

why an unknown kit rather than well known greddy, or even reliable jackson racing or vortech supercharger? How much power you making and how reliable has it been? Was the clutch the only necessary upgrade?

check head gaskets and timing belt replacement
been a tech for about a month and im in northern california
its just there market is all
yes they are reliable but i would get a BRZ its better looking in my opinion

Any good or recommended addons when buying a wrx?Anything i should avoid? Thinking just all weather mats,front bumper lip,good bumper to bumper warranty.

all weather mats are standard in all subaru models the sti lip kit looks good on them. id recommend the sti exhaust or SPT we sell performance parts by SPT you can get it ordered with that exhaust alonfg with battery tie downs and oil cap. you can also get SIT short throw shifter and pedal set. nothing i know has been a bad accessory they are all good.

Damn shame new wrx's no longer use UEL headers

They are trying to change things up that's why

I searched around looking for a kit with an unequal length exhaust manifold and this company sold one with the kit (for that boxer rumble). They also used precision turbo which was pretty good in my books. I'v kinda went off spec's and out of the bunch this kit was cheaper and seemed to be well put together. I made 270 WHP but it could have been more, i told them to run boost off the waste gate that had a 7-8 psi spring rather than a boost controller that i also brought just not to push the engine to its limits where it would start to over heat since the radiators a bit small. I'm going back once i upgrade a couple more things to look at 330 whp mark, and then i think i'll do an engine tear down for pistons and rods to lower the compression ratio since its so damn high down to something reasonable for more boost.

Yeah the BRZ does have a better front end look to it, the interior plastics are a bit nicer too, and in the 2016 models they threw a carbon fiber look to the passanger dash rather than that cheap metallic stuff they used before. They also upgraded the radio to what was being used in forester from two years ago rather than the cheap as fuck radio from before

I'd still get a wrx. Since I stated in my previous post it's only 1300$ more than a brz and you get 68 more horsepower and more torque and a turbocharger

is there any advantages/disadvantages between the same gen (early 00's) Forester and outback?

How much did you make before and now?

I'm looking at a brand new Forester or Outback. I'm leaning forester cause it's taller for more activities. 2.5 N/A. Thoughts? Heard anything about them?

Like you said the A/C and the alternator being right up top seems balls easy, along with the oil filter. Even the plugs looked semi-reachable despite being sideways.

head gasket and timing maintenance at 120k, you say? anything else to watch for?

When I come to a stop in my 03 Outback (auto) the car shakes a little bit but when I put it in neutral or park it stops shaking. What could it be?

Who gives a shit what some jack-off mechanic thinks

You don't work for Subaru, you work for some fat white cheat who made a deal to sell Subarus.

Why post about giving a shit about what other people are asking a tech about?

Try looking on the lower left corner of the dash to see a button or one that is on the headliner. I'm not too familiar with them.

I make the same pay but I get more hours at Subaru causing me to make more

Motor or transmission mount 100%

Besides garbage cvt no. It doesn't have a timing belt it's a chain. And these vehicles don't have head gasket issues anymore.

Definitely motor mount or transmission mount.

well my wife would be driving it, so I'm looking at the CVT. it didn't feel like garbage which is nice, but I'm not sure.

obviously I'd get a manual if it was just me, but... muh family car, etc.

>cum lover detected
Still work for the company

I'd get a Honda if it was for your wife. Foresters are expensive

where can i buy my bugeye wxsti ;_;
how much does it cost

Thx I'll look later when I get off. Seems like the hill assist just holds the brake to long and it has become annoying

25k isn't all that expensive for a forester. an SE CRV is 24-25 and I am far more skeptical of their automatics. Plus the forester has more cargo room.

the real tempting competitors are the edge and equinox, because they're dirt cheap... 25-26 gets you a 2.0T in the edge and you can get an equinox for 23. but they're fucking eggs.

craigslist. cant help you there m8
my civic does that too. its supposed to release when the clutch is applied.
the new CRV are actually pretty good vehicles. some are AWD but in your situation id get the forester for the kid friendly dad in you. check out the xt m8 its not all that more expensive and it has "X" mode

SPT shut down last fall, and fuck their parts are expensive (especially that exhaust)

we still sell their parts. one of the sales guys has a 16 wrx with full SPT turbo back.

Honestly, you can get some amazing deals on the BRZ though. I had a buddy pick up a new 2015 BRZ several months ago for about $23k. As someone who's owned a BRZ and currently has an STI, the BRZ is still an impressive car on extremely tight mountain roads.

All weather mats are not standard in all subarus. I didn't get them in my STI. They are in the common accessory packages though.

This subaru mechanic guy is a complete dumb shit with bad info and bad knowledge. Oh well.

not a single person has asked me a question related to anything of my profession other than a few routine maintenance ones
please end yourself

every car i pre delivery inspect hs the mats in the trunk. im unsure as to why yours didnt have them.

Is this overpriced? I like the idea of a Subaru but a lot of the better looking/newer/less miles are out of my price range, I'm a college student. I'm not too good with cars either, but I'd like to get into them as a hobby.

lansing.craigslist.org/cto/5713262652.html

Don't buy that. Especially if you aren't good with cars.

As a Mercedes Mechanic, do you ever feel like you've failed at life and should be working for Mercedes?

>I'm retarded
The post.

>headgasket issues around 120,000 mile intervals due to oil and coolant laying on the bottom part of the engine head gasket at all time

i never understood this, do porsches have the same issue?

Lets get some love for the Legacy GT.

I like the legacy specB one came in last week. Was a cool looking car

lots of people care why are you an asshole
this is a really interesting and informative thread >why

Why do the downstream o2 sensors always take a shit?

It peeves me that the BRZ has MacPherson struts in the front still. The boxer must take up a lot of engine bay space.

That thing is trashed. And too many doors. No.

>hood scoop
>no turbo

Subaru was so cheap for such a long time.

not entirely sure to be honest. coincedance?
thanks for defending me m8
the D4s boxter in those cars kind of surround the whole engine bay. like the air box tubes are the worst in my opinion. as for the struts i guess it was there only option. or maybe they wanted to go cheap

the legacy gt is turbo tho

Those EJ20TTs weren't configured for left hand drive, and they were struggling during that era

Not in US

I mean for that generation. And the one after it.

yes they are, are you serious?

the generation after it is turbo.

2nd gens:
"USA-spec GT models, first offered in 1990 as a turbocharged sedan or wagon in Japan, and as a trim package for the USA version in 1994, became a top level model upgrade in 1996, using the new EJ25D DOHC 2.5 L naturally aspirated engine."

3rd gens:
"... In the US market the third generation Legacy went on sale with the 2.5 L EJ251 Engine standard."

They never came to the US with turbos except for 1st and 4th gens.

thats what im talking about. the 2005 and up

Nice trips.

I was referring the picture. The generation after THEM is yeah I guess.

Do current body generation wrx front body panels fit on same-year model crosstreks? Family friend got t-boned but the front panels are intact enough to swap onto something, namely my buds crosstrek

yeah my friend had a legacy gt the same one in pic and it was na.
im not a hundred percent sure im going to say no. just retro fit m8

Theyre correct. 2nd gen legacys came with the EJ25D DOHC N/A engine, Limited trims came exclusively in an auto transmission.

I said fuck that and swapped in a 5 speed from an outback.

>sedan

Either way the 2nd gens were sexy as fuck

Whats /Subaru/ vaping?

What are you asking?