Would Veeky Forums approve of a 933 with an ls1 motor? they're both red so it should work fine

would Veeky Forums approve of a 933 with an ls1 motor? they're both red so it should work fine.

Other urls found in this thread:

renegadehybrids.com/
944-20v.nl/
renegadehybrids.com/944/LS-1/LS-1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

also would it mitigate the high cost of their maintenance or is the entire car pretty much impossible to take car of without another sitting around to part?

That looks like a 924. An LS swap would be awesome but you might lose the 50/50 distribution.

>would Veeky Forums approve of
Why on gods green earth would you want Veeky Forums approval on anything

Renegade Hybrids has a solution using the General Motors LS Series all aluminum fuel injected V8. Starting at over 335 HP stock, this abundant late-model engine series has become our best pick for more horse power in the 944 conversions.

renegadehybrids.com/

i don't have 8k i could spend on the project. i was planning to do it myself over time while i drive another 944 as a dd and then use it as a parts car for this one.

basically i'd get the motor, then short stroke it, and put some agressive cams and titanium valvesprings in it to boost the rpm range to 8500. i might have to upgrade the brakes though and change the gear ratio so that it's a bit closer.

how fun would this thing be? i just want to imagine it around the corners revving madly while being a fucking 5+ liter pushrod motor. it would be a magical thing.

I saw one with an air cooled flat six swapped in it.
Personally I'd want one with an audi 5 cyl motor.

how much power do those audi motors make? and not that i would, but if i had it running straight methanol would it be possible to air cool the v8? The normal operating range is 200-210 degrees F and i was curious if methanol would absorb enough heat to keep it within that range.

The only way Veeky Forums will approve is if it's a Honda with a rotary swapped in.

>Short stroke
Get a 4.8 crank, but why?
>Cams
You only need one
>Titanium springs
Why?
>8500 rpm
Why?

i would want the higher rpm for closer gearing so that i can get faster acceleration through tightly wound roads/tracks. titanium springs and destroking would help in that regard wouldn't it?

man i just love the look of this thing. i don't even care about modifying it or the cost of maintenance at this point i just want it so i can go through the bendies and have it leap over hills.

how much would a flat six cost?

Might be a little faster, might not. But your wallet will be a lot lighter, so that would help.

how much lighter are we talking with a cam and valve spring set along with a rev pin just to start off?

what could it be thinking?

A fully built Audi inline 5 turbo will make absurd amounts of power.

If you're just gonna run it on stock everything, you're looking at about 300-350hp before something needs upgrading though.

Here's a site detailing the conversion (though he didn't use a turbo engine, just the NA 20V):
944-20v.nl/

holy shit that's as much as an ls1. how?

Hugely overbuilt engine (used for Group B rally cars), and a massive turbo.

Won't have the buckets torque or easy power delivery of the LS, but it'll sound absolutely crazy.

So they have 170 stock but it can go 350 with a tune? Wew lad.

Now I'm debating between this, an air cooled boxer 6, and the ls1. Hmmm. If only I could have all 3.

>So they have 170 stock but it can go 350 with a tune? Wew lad.
The one used in the link I posted is a naturally aspirated variant. Same block, pretty much the same head, but higher compression and no turbocharger.
Turbo versions can hit 350 without much trouble, but are harder to find and more expensive. You can frankenstein one from a 10V NA bottom end with a 20V turbo head and manifolds, though.

I never understood going out and spending a ton of money to do a swap on an otherwise pos car.

I understand, "I had the car and I had the engine, it was only a matter of time to put them together."
But people will go way out of their way to put something in something that already had something.

You don't understand why people want a faster car? What?

Or you could use a longer stroke, and combine a wider gear spread combine with some torque to het you around. It might be 0.01 sec slower around a track, but the torque down low would be much more enjoyable to daily drive. Also, the wider gear spread would massively increase highway mpg.

That said, a 302 DZ/Boss-style screamer can be fucking sexy. It's just impractical as fuck.

>An LS swap would be awesome but you might lose the 50/50 distribution.
Probably not. On Miata's, you usually lose 1% of weight from the rear with an LS swap. Replacing an iron block DOHC I4 with a very light OHV V8 usually results in a near negligible difference in weight distribution - and the Miata's I4 is lighter iirc, especially compared to the later 2.5.

Most short stroke small block V8's are actually below 5 liters in displacement though - look at the Transam 302's and 304's for example, and the early small blocks in general.

Air cooled front engine conversion would be a PITA.

What would be fun would be a 924 with an Audi turbo 5, and a 928 with a V10 (as Piëch intended) - probably sourced from an S6 or S8.

what if i just turbo the stock engine would that make me 400hp?

>928 with a V10
Stop adding things to my "crazy ideas I'll probably never get to carry out but I want to anyway" list.

Those Audi inline fives are kinda pathetic n/a, but most boosted build range from 300 to 400 crank HP. The crazy Sweden-dragracing-on-the-street builds you see can be anywhere from 500 to 1000 - it's basically Europe's equivalent of the 2JZ.

You can cool an V8 with methanol, but it's be ridiculously impractical in terms of fuel consumption, and why would you even want to?

Unless you rebuilt the entire stock rotating assembly, no.

If it was on Piech's list, it deserves to be on yours. Call it a 930 (928-8+10=930).

It's not impractical with a 30 gallon gas tank. Keep in mind that it's the equivalent of 105 AKI or 115 RON but better and cost is very stable at $2 per gasoline gallon equivalent.

I hope theres someone around to save all the 944s for the future.... because theyre all fucked up and rotting away.

I do.

they're rotting? i thought they were galvanized steel.

anyone? a high revving air cooled flat six isn't a bad platform to me either, but i can't picture someone junking such a thing.

The 944 is probably my all time favorite car ever.

Too bad it has a transaxle that doesn't have a suitable swap if you throw in a V8

damn i didn't even know that. i guess i am stuck with a flat six. i just don't know if spending more money on a motor than on the car itself is wise.

I was looking at Porsche 924s when searching for a lightweight project car to turbo. Then I discovered that it's an enormous pain in the ass and very expensive to make decent power because the stock transmission is weak and it's very hard (and expensive) to replace it with something stronger.

> while I DD another 944
Are you an idiot?

>i had it running straight methanol would it be possible to air cool the v8

You are retarded. With this bit of info, I can tell you are not capable of doing this swap, or anything else to be honestm

no. i was just considering that owning another one would be cheaper than trying to order replacement parts due to the badge.

i just wanted to know man. it was an honest question don't be mean.

I'm sure it was, but it shows you have no fucking idea what you are doing. You can't aircool a car that wasn't air cooled. Also have a look at your engine bay, and then have a look at a Porsche air cooled 6. Then examine your brain. Just pay someone to put an LS in it for you, the original engine is water cooled ffs. God people have fucking dumb ideas.

Also look up what it takes to run methanol, it is not something you do in a normal car.

>You can't aircool a car that wasn't air cooled.

why not? you're drawing air into the engine bay isn't that what a radiator would be doing to begin with?

>it is not something you
do in a normal car.

what are the requirements for it? and said that someone managed to put a flat six in the bay, so it has to be possible.

i'm not paying someone else to do it just because you got mad online.

>why not? you're drawing air into the engine bay isn't that what a radiator would be doing to begin with?

Holy fuck, if you are too lazy to do a bit of research, at least listen to what you are told. Go look at the barrels and heads on an aircooled motor compared to a water cooled.

>what are the requirements for it? and # said that someone managed to put a flat six in the bay, so it has to be possible.

Methanol is not only corrosive as fuck, you need to use a shit tonne of it and have a fuxk huge fuel system. It also absorbs water. You have to run the engine on normal fuel to flush everything after you've run methanol.

>i'm not paying someone else to do it just because you got mad online.

Well I've been a mechanic for about 14 years no, and I can tell you you have nowhere near the knowledge to attempt this, and don't seem capable of doing the most basic research.

it's not zero research i just wanted to compare what i read with regards to the BTUs/pound of methanol vs gasoline due to the fact that it generates so much more energy. what measures are taken with existing methanol running engines for the corrosion side?

Are you the same guy that wanted to put methanol on a rotary and run no intercooler the other day?

I just told you what they do, run normal fuel through it afterward. Methanol has less energy per weight than gasoline you goose.

then what's the benefit from a performance perspective of methanol for racing teams to use it?

Holy shit, do some research. It has a massive resistance to detonation, as well as a cooling effect on the intake. You can run way more compression/boost or both, as well as timing. Much more forgiving with tuning as well. It is not something you drive to the shops. Run e85 if you want something between better than gasoline but without the hassle of methanol. Still gonna go through a shitload of fuel though, approx 30% more probably.

A bone stock ls1/2 with a cam and tune will go like a shower of shit in a 944, you really don't need to worry about anything else. If you get bored if the power, strap on a blower ot turbo and you'll shit yourself.

How difficult would it be to make an ls1 rev high? From what ideas id need an aggressive cam and a stiffer valve spring set, but I also heard to be safe you should destroke it.

Why do you want it to rev? For the memes? Valve springs, rod bolts, rods depending on how hard you want to spin it. I hope you realise you'll have to do a heap of head work and a filthy cam and inlet manifold etc to even make power over 6.5k or so.

Mainly because I'd want to use close gear ratios for track driving where I don't have many straights, so I figured higher revs would help keep me from losing too much power.

That doesn't even make sense. Are you going to put an albins transaxle in it.of something so you can change ratios? Or get a million dollar straight cut dog gearset? You can't just magically change gear ratios like in forza. You are putting in a large capacity v8 with a fairly wide torque spread, you would gear it appropriately (eg not close ratio like you would on something with a narrow as fuck powerband) for an ls1. I haven't looked, but a 928 transaxle would probably have appropriate ratios.

I simply wish to avoid long gearing.

Well that's a sound reason. Enjoy dropping $20k on an albins, plus gearing changes then. You'll then have a close ratio box, with an engine with a wide powerband that doesn't need a close ratio box, completely wasting the potential of both. On a positive note, you'll get to row through gears like there's no fucking tomorrow, and will feel like a Real Race Car Driverâ„¢

fuck that factory radio looks so good

renegadehybrids.com/944/LS-1/LS-1.html

I did the research for you. Cheap as all fuck.

There is nothing wrong with long gearing if you have torque (like an LS!)

Why are you obsessed over albins it's not the only type.

Replace albins with any million dollar transaxle with swappable ratios then. Fuckhead

You're an idiot if you think that's the only alternative.

wtf i love 944's now

shame pooshhh wont make anything this interesting again ever never

I already listed you could also get an aftermarket close ratio dog gearset. At the end of the day, it's still fucking stupid with an engine with a wide powerband like an ls1/2, it's a wast of money and fucking stupid.

Looks like a fat assed fc.

your mother is a fat assed fc, whatever a fc might be

alright i concede. i'll stick to a 944 with an ls1 swap for now. would i have to swap out the transmission as well with the one the ls motor came with or can i use the 944's stock transmission?

given what you've told me my roadmap would be an ls swap, aggressive cam with a tune, and later on if i have the balls, later on a blow, and even more later on making it run on e85. how much power could this theoretically make? it sounds rad.

Mate, your 944 runs a transaxle. I gave you a link a but higher to a converison kit.

Cam and tune should make an easy 350hp at the wheels, heads as well should do 400. I work on a blown ls3 with a stock engine apart from a mild cam that does 620 at the wheels, running only 8psi from memory.

the renegade hybrids one? i only saw this

>TRANSAXLE MOUNTED SPEED SENSOR KIT

Yep that's the one. The page it goes to.is the one that tells you about their ls1 944 kits. Other people do them as well. I'm actually considering buying a 944 and a wrecked commodore with ls2 now, as they are both cheap as fuck and some idiot would probably pay crazy money for a converted one in Australia.

i'm in canuckland and i'm likely going to hold onto the stock motor for a while and save up for an ls1 and part off a lot of the additional stuff it might come with to pay for doing the build. i'm kind of hyped about how much power it can really produce although i'm curious about how it will handle since it will retain a similar weight distribution but have insane torque. should be super fun to say the least. how long would it take for a diligent novice to swap it in? barring the additional stuff at first.

Bump

No offence, but judging from your posts, it will take a long time. Everything went just magically fit, you'll have to make up bits and pieces probably. Have to sort the loom, getting it to work with the gauges, have security removed from the ls1 ECU etc.

i hear looms can be a mechanic's nightmare. where would i read the info for both ends? just their respective manuals?