If FR has a tendency to oversteer and FF has a tendency to understeer, what do MR, RR, and (F)4WD have a tendency to do?

If FR has a tendency to oversteer and FF has a tendency to understeer, what do MR, RR, and (F)4WD have a tendency to do?

>MR
oversteer
>RR
oversteer
>AWD
oversteer or understeer, depending on which wheels have torque bias

Thanks

>FR oversteers and FF understeers
Oh my god is this board this dumb

Its a totally valid generalization

Also when AWD is split evenly Im fairly sure they tend to understeer, because the front tires have more load then the back ones.

he's just trolling, ignore him

How does 4WD work? The type with two shifters?

Also, MR and RR tend to oversteer more suddenly and violently than FR does. More weight in the back = better grip on rear tires, so they roadhold better. But once grip runs out, the heavy rear end has a lot of inertia and rapidly rotates. Over correct, and you just snap back the other direction.

It's the MR2 and Porsche 911 are infamous for snap oversteer, and are dangerous for poor drivers.

>trolling
Fuck off dude

no it's not it depends on your inputs

If you're smarter than him, contribute to the thread or fuck off.

> MR
Catch fire

> RR
Oversteer due to pendulum effect, then spin violently.

> 4WD
Tip over.

Whenever people discuss this sort of stuff, I generally assume that everyone is talking about a car entering a corner under power, because all the outcomes people mention fit that scenario. Otherwise we'd just be here all year talking about every single example of a drivetrain in every single permutation of cornering.

even then it depends. just because you're on the power doesn't mean the drive wheels are slipping

Seems like we're always using the case of too much power being applied in some generalized vehicle. If you scream into a corner in an FF car, in most cases it will understeer, and an FR one will probably oversteer. Of course there's probably an FF car out there with some odd suspension and weight distribution that will swing its ass out, and I know a lot of FR barges understeer like pigs, but in most cases an FF car's nose will hit the wall before its tail does and vice versa.

Drivetrains don't have any particular tendency to do anything. It's all about suspension setup. You can force oversteer or understeer depending on the drivetrain.

This Veeky Forums is fucking retarded, also new cars are often setup to understeer since its considered more safe

The second shifter is the transfer case lever. It allows you to switch the transfer case between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

When in 4WD, the front wheels are also driven by the transmission. But unlike an AWD car, there is no center differential. So the front and rear wheels cannot drive at different speeds. For this reason, 4WD is not recommended with normal driving, as there can be drivetrain bind due to forced same speed across axles. AWD is better for normal, onroad driving. It offers many handling benefits over 4WD.

But where 4WD is beneficial is in situations where there will be slip or in lower speed situations that require the wheels get constant power. In an AWD vehicle, it only allows for a certain degree of slip (this varies greatly, depending on the system[s] used) and will vary power from front to rear, depending on what bias it has. 4WD will provide constant even power to both axles, regardless of slips. This is typically better for offroad applications, as you won't be limited by the quirks of the AWD biases and limitations. Also, 4WD offers a low gear range, which essentially "multiplies" usable torque via gearing in the transfer case. This aggressive torque, combined with constant power across both axles is invaluable for getting through many offroad situations. Combine it with at least one differential locker and good tires and you can get through a lot.

can you buy me a tercel 4wd

You can make anything understeer or oversteer. Let off throttle in a light fwd going fast in a turn and oversteer. Go too hot into a corner with rwd understeer. With a aw11 mr2 you have to transfer weight to the front to get it to be neutral or you will understeer. Too much and you oversteer. That's how mr gets a reputation for being an advanced performance car.

No. Can you fix my Tacoma's 4WD?

Your mom is considered to understeer

Oversteer and understeer don't have much to do with what wheels are driven... has a lot more to do with how the chassis is weighted and how the suspension is set up. Most cars will understeer from the factory. My 300zx did, my subaru doesn't, and my Honda didn't. My Honda would oversteer.

My Subaru *does. On pavement at least. On gravel and snow it beautifully oversteers.

Anything that sends less than 10% of the power to the front wheels is going to oversteer on exit and anything that sends over 30% of the power to the front is going to understeer on exit. Things in the middle can go either way.

Anything with high polar MOI (transverse or engine outside the axle line) is going to respond slowly to input and understeer on entry, and anything with low polar MOI is going to oversteer on entry.

Ideally you want a car to oversteer as you enter a turn to point you toward the exist quickly, and then understeer as you power out. What you don't want is to understeer on entry and swing into oversteer on exit, or to just understeer and plow the corner. Truly neutral handling is impossible due to slip angles and such.

All of these things are generalizations, though. A modern 911 handles significantly better than a stock NA Miata, for example, despite having a theoretical disadvantage. Do note, however, that every generation of the 911 increases the wheelbase of the car without moving the engine, so pretty soon it's going to be MR rather than RR.