Which MR2 is da bes

Sup Veeky Forums. Prospective buyer here. Got my eyes set on an MR2, but honestly cant make my mind on which one I want for sure.
Which one is the best to live with?
Factors im considering include
>age
(and how this effects the car, especially in New England)
>availability
(2g '92+ are impossible to find unless they're rice taxed beyond reason, same occurs occasionally with 3g '03+)
>ease of DIY, cost of non-DIY
(dont have the tools to drop the engine and trans to do a clutch job)
>driving dynamics
(1gs are go karts, early 2gs are "lively", but 3gs weigh 2200 lbs and are considered to be the best handling)

Car is going to be a daily, and for all intents and purposes, my only car. Whatever chassis I pick will eventually be a swap candidate once it's served its purpose. Storage and passengers are not a concern.
My budget is about 5-7k
What would you pick Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5715556390.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All MR2's are great, but the supercharged AW11 is simply the best. Did you get those in yurop?

>supercharged AW11 is simply the best
No

new england =/= yurp

bump
>inb4 slow board

This with a 2ZZ

AW11 with 4AGZE. Then 3sgte SW20, all others follow in personal taste.
>based 4AGZE owner.

No

2zz swap follows personal taste?

I like my yamaha engine. Plus, the gze is fairly uncommon, at least here in Murrica, so it's my personal favorite.

up

Nice trips

thanks m8
its too bad hard tops are like 2k painted

I suppose the ZZW30 is probably the best all around built car.

The first gen is still my favorite though.

up

>my daily
that alone makes the SW20 your best bet for comfiness.
working on it isn't hard, time consuming and sometimes hard to reach but not any more difficult than any other turbo car. Many engines can be swapped here, 2Gr-fe v6 is a popular one and there was a dude who once swapped an ls1 into these.

snap oversteer is greatly exaggerated and is a driver flaw

I daily the mr-s, literally a mid-engined Corolla. Pretty decent aftermarket, you can use a lot of power & suspension components from Corollas and Celicas.

Storage space is close to non-existent, just lots of small hidey-holes.

Great gas mileage, I run the car through the gears to the redline a lot and average 25 mpg, all highway is ~32 mpg. Doesn't burn oil like keyboard warriors tried to warn me about before I bought it. Last oil change was done ~7k miles and oil level was fine.

Insurance is $120/mo with renters insurance included, 23 y/o in Seattle.

The steering has ruined me. After getting used to the handling and steering response in the mr-s everything else feels like a land yacht. It is so precise and light, I think it might be my favorite thing about the car.

If you're considering which one would be the best for a swap as well, you should know Monkey Wrench Racing makes kits/parts to swap in a Honda K series and the 2zz. They also sell 1zz/2zz turbo kits.

Did you gut the precats?

Go with an NA SW20.
Dead reliable engine, better engine bay than the others, roomier than the others, more luggage space than the others and shouldn't be too much of a rust bucket.

Aw11s will be rusted to hell and have little space. While they have great engines, the past 30 years has taken its toll on many of the engines and they will blow headgaskets or other things will fail.
The 3rd Gen is just too tiny for a daily, literally no luggage space. Otherwise, great cars and would be the best choice.

I'd say grab a ZZW30 or an AW11 along with a corolla for maximum giggles and accesibility.
But if you have to go with one car, the nonturbo sw20 is the way to go.

What is that wing from? Looks nice.

>Go with an NA SW20.
I was planning on it if i went with an sw20. Its mostly between that and the zzw30 because honestly, i love AW11s and would love to own one, but its just too old of a car for me to daily reliability, i think.
Im not sure how many people here have actually wrenched on old cars, especially in salt-states, but working on an old car is a pain in the ass.

It's a spoiler.

Its a wing

upgrading to hi-flow, don't want to risk failing emissions
no idea, the rest of the kit is by Varis but it doesn't look like the wing came with it according to google.

It's a spoiler made to look like a wing because rice. It's not high enough for significant airflow underneath. If you were to cut it up, you would see that it has a flat profile and not a cambered airfoil profile.

Thats cool. Its still a wing though

Why not turbo

>upgrading to hi-flow
Good call.
The mk3 is a ULEV when stock

It's a spoiler, just like this spoiler.

I consider wings to be anything on attached by mounts, instead a single piece directly attached to the car with a small profile.
If thats not what you mean then we arent talking about the same thing i guess

Get a 2nd or 3rd if age and availability are an issue

Go with the zzw30.
The aw11 is too old.
Sw20 is too pig fat.
Zzw30 is the lightest, best handling and newest mr2.
You can easily swap in a 2zz and get 190hp in a 2100 lb car.

zzw30 is a little bit faster than aw11 but its less useful as a daily because less storage
sw20 is fat
aw11 is perfect

I agree with all of this. The sw20 just looks so damn good.

I think the sw20 is the best looking of the bunch.
But why did it have to weigh 2700 lbs?

I feel your pain user. This is why im torn.

probably only 2600 lbs with a v6 swap

well whatever i get wont be swapped until ive beat the piss out of it for a few years. And not until i can afford to buy another car and fund the swap, obv
A 2zz swap zzw20 sounds just as enticing desu.
also
>dat sound

Plus a 2zz swap is about as easy as it gets.

The turbos are almost all beat to shit and the engine is under a bit more stress and just because it's already old at around 20 years.
I live in PA and daily an AW11 btw, and the rust is a huge pain. Bolts break off and are almost impossible to get out then and the rust is very real. The ZZW30 just have no luggage space. I mean you can't get a full load of groceries and have a passenger. Especially if you're tall.

That's beautiful man, totally jealous.

Honestly, I might sell my AE86 to get a RHD MR-S.

The 1ZZ oil burning meme is very real but on the 2000-2003 Corolla.

>the engine is under a bit more stress

not really tb.h
it's an iron block and lower compression than the n/a equivalent.

How good is a blacktop swap in an AW11?

AW11
>nice, but old and rustbucket

SW20
>very nice out of the lot but fucking heavy

ZZW30
>lightest and newest, but no fucking storage

I can't choose.

Tbh it is because you have the same block producing more horsepower. Compression is a component here but in general you're having a bigger explosion inside the engine each time and therefore it is harder on the engine. Plus turbo models were most likely reved out and run much harder than their NA equivalents.
But at least you know now and can choose accordingly Haha
Seriously though, you'll enjoy an sw20 if you get it even if it is heavier.

actually, I see a gen 1 red MR2 in our neighbor's garage, it's in great condition, but not driven by the owner anymore
and I kinda want it, what would Veeky Forums pay for such car?

AW11 is da bes but also not really especially in england since its a fucking rust magnet

3-5 grand depending on the condition
if its super low miles and well taken care of its worth it
The big + for me is that storage will not be a concern, which is why im leaning towards the zzw30

Makes sense. Here's my AW11 that I daily.

Got her for $500 this winter, replaced the alternator and exhaust. Headgasket then blew this spring so replaced that. Also it was a silver rust bucket so lots of fiberglass bodywork and then some fender flares and a fresh coat of paint did her good.

>sw20
>too heavy
Christ. Fuck Veeky Forums and the whole lack of understanding of handling dynamics

Calling a spoiler a wing is like calling a wheel a rim.

Looks great man! Good work!

post more plz.

I saw this v6 sw20 for sale on craigslist for like $3200. 6 months after that I took my aw11 in to a shop and saw that very same mr2 on the sideyard. When I was talking to the owner I mentioned the 'other mr2' and he just laughed a bit and said its a pain in the ass.

It sucks at that too, snap oversteer happy

$2000-2800

This shows off my custom taillights and just how well the wheels fit and have just a tiny bit of negative camber

littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5715556390.html

Can I resist?

Should I?

I still have a 20v sitting in the garage from my last foray into oversteer.

If you have a 20v then yeah but def talk them down. An aw11 without an engine isn't worth 1500.

its actually nothing like that, because a rim is a component of a wheel.

You're a fucking moron. The sw20 is the heaviest out of the bunch. When we talk about heavy, its in the context of these 3 generations of cars.
Fuck you

>$500

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I sold mine for $900
AW11s arent worth much

That interior is mint, and you have no clue what you're talking about

Yes Trolly, get it

That is a 3k car here in SoCal.

Same in VA

Uhhhh okay kid. I've purchased two AW11s, one for $800 and one for $500. Both had very clean interiors and both had running engines. Obviously you're the one who has no clue.

Pic related, the mileage on my $500 car.

Let's also realize that I worked about 25 hours a week for 8 weeks on this car. It was silver with peeling clear coat, rust holes, and had no exhaust whatsoever. The alternator also squealed louder than any girl I've ever heard. I had to replace both fenders, the hood, the engine lid, the trunk, the spoiler, the lights, the alternator, the headgasket, the exhaust, the timing belt, parts of the interior, the rear sway bar, and I'm sure I'm missing other stuff too.
So it was cheap, but it was a long way to get it to look pretty and run well. I might be able to sell the car for $4000 to some kid, but if I count my time only at a measly $15/hr then I spent $3000 worth of my time and probably $1500 worth in parts.

yes but the engine is durable enough that this by itself is not an issue, unless you push a lot more boost through it than stock.

Later 3S-GEs make almost the same power as Gen 2 3S-GTEs.

compared to cars that are 300lbs+ lighter than it, yes

yeah but he means they're both 100% wrong

you got lucky, those were both quite a bit below market value

Last 3 i bought
>$1300
>$600
>$500
All clean as fug except the $500 one had a dent

And wht city are you finding these cherry examples for so cheap?

People just want to get rid of these cars seriously it's nuts. They've hit rock bottom and will only go up in price now imo

Funny thing was the guy i sold my last one to relisted it on CL for $3,000 non running because he's stupid and thought the alternator was too difficult to replace.
>3 thousand fucking doll hairs!
>Non running
It never sold

About 9 years ago I was on a cruise ship (I was a wee lad) and some kid was talking to me and asked me where I was from and I told him I was from -state- he asked me where it was in the US and I said new England and he went apeshit telling me how new England was in europe and wouldn't listen when I told him he was wrong. I almost punched the stupid shit in the nose