How do you make this guy more fuel efficient?

How do you make this guy more fuel efficient?

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm
cheatsheet.com/automobiles/30-new-cars-that-burn-way-too-much-oil.html/?a=viewall
torquenews.com/1084/bmw-tops-thirsty-30-list-new-vehicles-burning-excessive-oil
youtube.com/watch?v=VGWuucnV44A
youtube.com/watch?v=sxXtpMngivM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wonder what would happen if they made it like a 4-stroke and just fired the spark plugs half as often.

It already works like a 4stroke
>half as often sparks
Half of 3?
>HL3 confirmed

>fire the spark plugs half as often.
Unburnt fuel flowing out exhaust

It's inherently flawed because the convex surfaces lead to waste. The up and down motion doesn't help either.

Mazda released a patent for the Skyactiv-R you can read about online

Who knows if it'll work

>the rotary meme continues
this is what refusal to admit a failure leads to

They haven't failed, they've just tried 400 designs that haven't worked.

I'd rather they pursue a shittier engine and be unique, rather than giving up hope in fun cars, and just becoming another design-by-committee Toyota like the other Jap manufacturers have.

place collector on exhaust headers, and collect unburnt fuel. running low on fuel? pump out of the collector into the fuel tank. >Never buy gas again.

swap to pistons

make it a diesel

>I'd rather they pursue a shittier engine and be unique, rather than giving up hope in fun cars

the fuck is this? since when does a self eating torqueless saucers spinning in a bucket a only engine that can provide fun in a car?

attach to a wood gasifier

This sounds like the best idea

ITT
>people who dont understand rotaries spout memes
>people who think they understand rotaries poorly defend them

>people who dont understand rotaries
rotary couldn't be simpler: boost in, apex seals out, all garnished with vulgar weeb stickers

Thanks for proving my point

Rotaries don't have a place on this world and never had, I'm not criticizing you for earning money from people who fell for the rotary meme, but would you be so kind and not try to push this shit here, thanks

Clueless meme spouting teenager spotted.

>I am a certified rotary technician
BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
>implying a "Rotarymech" wouldn't be inundated with work and have time to post here

fuck off pistoncuck

Salty rotary crap driver

t. buscuck

I just wanted to make a nice thread

>found an RX8 on Kijiji
>50,000km on body with only 10,000km on engine
>new engine had upgraded spark plugs
>was owned by a Mazda mechanic who knows how this shit works
>top trim and only $8500 CAD
>didn't buy because I didn't want the rotary life
>bought a boring econobox instead

Did I fuck up?

care to provide any proof of the rotary greatness? cause from where I'm sitting the only benefit is the reduced vibrations, and that's it and that's definitely not enough to counter the often engine rebuilds, poor economy, lack of torque, burning oil and the dull exhaust note

make it a hemi

I just don't get why people get mad about and hate rotaries so much. Nobody is forcing you to buy a car with one.

No because rotaries are inconvenient.

>Rx8
>did I fuck up?
Dodged a bullet m8. If that was an Rx7, yes you would've fucked up.

Probably not. Sounds too good to be true. Then again, you are from Kanuckistan, so maybe he was being honest...

>often engine rebuilds,
Every 200k miles or more?
>poor economy,
18 average isnt poor for a sports car
>lack of torque,
You have a lack of knowledge about that flat torque curve
>burning oil
Burns less than most modern hondas or bmws
>dull exhaust note
Wut?
Care to stop spouting memes and ignoring rotaries huge racing career success?

>Burns less than most modern hondas or bmws
Any proof of this?

consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm
cheatsheet.com/automobiles/30-new-cars-that-burn-way-too-much-oil.html/?a=viewall
torquenews.com/1084/bmw-tops-thirsty-30-list-new-vehicles-burning-excessive-oil

>Audi, BMW and Subaru all say it’s normal

Audi, BMW and Subaru all maintain that oil consumption is a normal part of the these engine’s operation and that this is normal. Subaru says a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles is acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is within acceptable consumption ranges.

>What does BMW say?

BMW does shield themselves and even outlines such consumption as part of its manufacturer specifications. You can even buy a traveling case for oil from the dealer to carry in the vehicles trunk to use when you need it.
“Oil consumption is normal on all engines,” BMW representative Hector Arellano-Belloc said in an e-mail statement to CR. “BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.” He added that BMW’s M performance models may consume even more oil than that.

iirc, a big reason for the loss of efficiency was when the apex traveled over the spark plug port. The seal isn't wide enough to cover the entirety of the port, so during the ignition cycle as the back end of the lobe crosses the port you loose pressure as some gasses expand around the seal into the lobe finishing it's compression cycle.

No

>failure

Lemans says otherwise.

That pic explains why I've always wanted to own a rotary engine. So tiny and so light and with work they make just enough power to get to the sweet spot with the lightweight cars they go in. I've driven some C5 Corvettes dialed in with shocks around some cones and those turned in excellently, I can't imagine what a car with 600lbs less weight and a lot of that gone from the front turns in like. Must feel a lot like a midship.

Let's hope Mazda's next foray into rotarys is a true sports car like the FC and FDs and not the piece of shit that was the RX-8.

>Burns less than most modern hondas or bmws
hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahhahahhaha

Im a retard but can someone explain to me what made the RX-8 so much worse than the RX-7?

Lol

make it have pistons

I like rotaries but your being a fanboy faggot

A standard piston engine will last much longer than a comparable rotary. It's not a meme, its a fact. And they do burn alot of oil, non of those links actually proves your point about those rotaries burning less oils than modern BMWs or hondas. They don't even mention honda, Its just over engineered euroshit and subaru's stupid boxer engine

>600lbs less
try 200lbs and 300 hp less

>A standard piston engine will last much longer
Than a performance engine? Yeah. Obviously.
>non of those links actually proves your point about those rotaries burning less oils than modern BMW
Do you not know how to read?

C5 is 3300lbs and 350hp
So youre saying an rx7 is 3100lbs and 50hp?

so you're saying a 450lbs ls1 is 600lbs heavier than a rotary?

Im not
He was saying total car weight. Not engine weight.

Yeah throw it in the trash where it belongs with the rest of automotive abortions. Like push rods

no point in having a light car unless it has power

I dont even
Stock FDs are just under 300hp

Direct injection, variable length intake

The major problem is the rectangular combustion chamber.

>Direct injection, variable length intake
You realize most of them had this?
>The major problem is the rectangular combustion chamber.
>rectangular
You have no idea what youre saying

ls swap FD has more power and weighs basically the same

>cost over 30k to put together
>for no real benefit
Okee dokee
Maybe just buy a vet?

>most of them had this

No commercial Mazda rotary has had direct injection or a variable length intake.

The 787B had a variable length intake (pic related). I suppose you could be talking about the 6 port FCs but that didn't really change the length of the intake.

some see more power and reliability as a benefit but sure buy a vet if u want idcr

>vdi
>injectors directly on the housing.
Okee

>power and reliability
>fastest rx7s are rotary powered
>expecting a high strung push rod v8 to be reliable
>takes 5.7L or more to compete with a 1.3L engine
Kek

>non standard injector placement

I don't know what you're driving at here, no Rx-# has been sold with direct injection. I've read about 1 or 2 mad men who have tried it.

Here, have an image of an aftermarket LIM with bosses for extra injectors, none of which are DI.

post a higher mileage FD
youtube.com/watch?v=VGWuucnV44A

i'll wait

That is STOCK to be on top of the housing.
Are you dense?

Cherry picking feels sooooo goooood

>can't
gg

wew lad

The only real problem with them is that the 04-05 models could blow up easily if not maintained very well. They're a bit slow in stock form and it's really hard to get any more power out of the Renesis without expensive FI, but handling is top notch. It's kind of like a hardtop Miata that seats 4.

If they didn't have the RX-7's legacy to live up to they would probably be more popular here.

Yeah but V8s are obsoleted by turbo V6s and half of Veeky Forums still likes them because of feels. It's the same with rotaries

If it was torqueless it couldn't spin at all

It could be worse; Mazda could drop the Dorito as a whole and start trying to Musk,

>cobble together a bunch of sensors everyone else already uses into one vehicle
>"muh autopirates"

Wew lad.
Youre trolling hard
Opposite side of engine so you cant see the holes

Turbo a V8?

direct injection means in the combustion chamber

Yes... and?
You dont seem to understand how a rotary works

you seem to think the combustion chamber is somewhere it isn't

Are you the same guy that said the combustion chamber was a rectangle?

who?

Im not the guy who said that but, well it is.

And its definitely not direct injection.

>despite all evidence he still trolls
Nice dedication.

Direct injection injectors always have a long metal shaft on them.

and run considerably higher pressures. that guy is just retarded

High pressure DI does. Yes

Rx7 fuel injectors inject into a port, ergo its a port ejected engine.

>dull exhaust note
youtube.com/watch?v=sxXtpMngivM

>tfw worry about the fuel consumption of rotary but realize like 70% of the cars on the road here barely get more than 15mpg

I work at a car wash and all the new ones show the fuel consumption on the dash and so many of them are 15 and under. It's a fucking joke man.

Yeah but V6s are obsoleted by turbo I4s and half of Veeky Forums still likes them because of feels. It's the same with rotaries

Yea i dont get the hype around the "autopilot" in tesla's either. S Classes and A8"'s were able to do this long ago

Yeah but Combustion Engnies are eventually obsoleted by Electric Motors and half of Veeky Forums still likes them because of feels. It's the same with rotaries

>Yeah but electric motors are eventually obsoleted by hydrogen cars and half of Veeky Forums still likes them because of feels. It's the same with rotaries

Create a third rotor and housing that is half to a third the size of the other(s). The tiny rotor gets fuel all the time, the big rotors only get fuel when power is needed. Basically rotor deactivation with a tiny rotor for cruising

give it a different job

either smaller and doing generator duty attached to an electric motor or bigger to satisfy torque demands

Parading the then 40 year old 13b around in the RX8 with the equivalent of a frankensteined OHC conversion and fuel injection on a flathead ford was a mistake.

Mazda is on the right track with their design and engineering mindset lately though. When you can't pony up to compete it's time to fucking downsize and simplify

>2035
>hydrogen
>your shitbox doesn't run on a thorium

Not a mechanical engineer here, or a mechanic, or a "cars r lyfe" person.

From what I understand about the Wankel engine is that it burns oil and has shit emissions. Couldn't they just use diesel instead of petrol to both fuel and lubricate the engine, eliminating the need for oil?

[Semi serious] Why can't they just coat the innards in Teflon?

Although I think diesel rotaries have been tried, they struggle to seal up the pressures required to for diesel fuel

Nothing sticks to the inside of the chambers. Even the original chrome, if flaking, can't be replaced. Some places offer ceramic recoats, but no warranties

>torqueless

Pair to a cvt so it runs at a constant rpm

Diesel needs higher pressures, and wankels inherently have problems with maintaining a seal on the compression cycle, which has not yet been defeated, even with specialized sealants. Basically if diesel were a good sealant, you'd need a really, really good sealant to run at diesel pressures.

You are a fucking retard. The combustion chamber is where the spark plugs are dipshit. You can't use normal injectors and fuel pumps for direct injection as the pressures aren't high enough.