Sup Veeky Forums, would it be a good idea to get a classic beetle as a first car to work on...

Sup Veeky Forums, would it be a good idea to get a classic beetle as a first car to work on? I have a newer DD with nothing wrong with it, and classic beetles are dumb simple. They're fairly cheap in my area too. Is it a good buy?
>Pic partially related

Other urls found in this thread:

wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/accessories/toolkit.cfm#
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Hitlermobile
>German engineering
>Simple
>Cheap
>Common depending on where you live
My grandpa drove a '77 one for 30 years.He still has it but it requires restoration,first car I ever drove in.

first, kick who ever told you they are simple dead in the crotch as hard as you can.

these are the tools needed to work on a beetle. or at least properly without nigger rigging something.

oh you have a transmission leak? sure change the seals

parts for beetles are NOT cheap anymore either. the mexico warehouses are empty of air cooled crap.
so if you need a new case, which do wear out, you have to spend probably more than $800

I daily a 74' Super, I'm Brazil.
Here they're getting pretty common again, since we're in the middle of an economy crisis.

Parts are easy to find, since here, the Kombi (the Bus there in the states, i guess) was in producing until 2005, and they can share a lot of parts, especially if you're looking into a taller gear ratio.

That being said, it can keep highway speeds (circa 120 km/h) but it wants to sit at 100 km/h on the stock carb and gears. It's a solid ride, probably won't fail on you. I've seen 70's cars running with really little maintenance, and pure rusted examples turning on just fine.

>in Brazil
>in production
Fix'd, cunts.

what is the price of a new engine cases in brazil? here in the usa they are pretty high. our cheap main supply came from the mexico production of beetles, well you know they stopped years ago.

You can get a complete crate engine, 1600cc, for around 6k BRL (2K USD?), or a Kombi with fuel injection for around 7k BRL.
Not sure about engine cases, but mechanics always have entire spare engines laying around, they probably exchange the case.

wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/accessories/toolkit.cfm#
literally 2 minutes of googling, I'm sure they make reproduction tool kits.

a solid beetle is pretty easy to keep on the road. The only thing I don't like are the "VW experts" who just have predetermined reactions to any issues the vehicle is having... there's no troubeshooting or critical thinking, just impulse-reaction fixes from seeing the same problems over and over again. Doesn't make for an enjoyable hobby.

Well, when you work on something so much you start to notice trends..nothing wrong with it and in my opinion doesn't diminish the joy of the hobby.

i was implying they are not simple cars though

Just because there are specialty tools doesn't necessarily mean they are complicated. The Germans have always loved to over-engineer.

Beetle owner here, don't get one.

Very simple cars to work on. Get a shop manual or "how to keep your aircooled volkswagen alive"
keep an ample supply of 10,13,17,19mm wrenches and sockets.
Have been daily driving my '65 bug for 2 years now. Sure things go wrong, it's a 50 year old car. but nothing has taken me over a day to fix. everything can be fixed with basic tools.

what is china

one warning: they are really fucking slow
a 1973 super beetle has a 0-60 of over 23 seconds

Super beetles are shit though...

>Want one
>Fucking prices tho
People are really proud of these

If you build them right, they can cost you about the price of a new base model compact car.