Just graduated from university and I'm torn between buying a BMW e46 M3 or 2006-2007 BMW z4m coupe

Just graduated from university and I'm torn between buying a BMW e46 M3 or 2006-2007 BMW z4m coupe.

Opinions on both rides? Which should I choose in regards to fun, aesthetics, maintenance, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yZzP374As4A
thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Neither. A civic until you have enough money to repair it properly when needed.

but I'm too good for a civic
I may have never driven any car hard and only barely know how to commute with a stick shit but I am fucking entitled to sports car.

you have many debt user, do not to buy the expensive car with the fuckoff insurance

please to buy the reliable car

they basically have the same engine, pick which ever one looks better to you, they have the same traits in reliablity

But everyone knows Civics can't compete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I deserve to compete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheap miata you'll go twice as fast for half the cost

And be gay as fuck

I miraculously managed to pay off my student debt while working during school. I Just landed a relatively proper job working as a financial advisor. However how bad is the insurance for a 21 y/o? I currently drive a 06 VW tdi and im looking for a weekend fun car.

Buy a Miata and throw an LS in it. Reliablility, speed, and street cred all in one car. Not to mention the fun time you will have swapping it

Miatas do look gay af. Looks like something my sister would drive.

Both are practically guaranteed to appreciate as long as you get the 6-speed manual. M3 will be more practical and having more than one passenger can be fun on occasion, so it gets my vote.

Holy shit your sister is gay?

Fuck yeah she is.

bmw general

Fuck off tiny dick. Obviously you need an aggressive car to overcompensate.

Not really, I just happen to like BMWs, and It turns out I like the two BMWs mentioned over the Miata. Nothing wrong with that.

Flip a coin, heads and you get eh e46, tails the z4. When it's spinning in the air you'll think "I hope it lands on..." and that's when you know which one you really want.

Then go ask the bmw thread how to fix it yourself when it breaks down in a month and the mechanic is charging you more than you can afford to fix it

But other alternatives aside, have any of you driven both and preferred one over the other?

E46 has a dipstick. The z4 might not.

>Just graduated from university and I'm torn between buying a BMW

I see you didn't take Econ or Engineering

Since when does being an enthusiast result in you being labelled as uneducated or retarded?

> Enthusiast
> Doesn't know shit about the cars he likes

wut? Being an enthusiast doesn't require you to be an expert. Furthermore how can you deduce that I dont "know shit" from what i've provided. Im asking others for past experiences with these cars, I know enough about these cars to at least spark interest in them however I cant possibly know some of the shit that the car has to offer without properly owning one hence me asking others for their experience with them. You can only know so much from reading about it. Hence why not everyone who goes to business school can immediately have the qualifications and experience to be a CEO.

L O L
O
L

What are the common things needing replacing and how much do they normally come out to pricewise? Im aware about the cracking subframe but what are some other things to watch out for that you wouldnt expect?

Graduated with a proper 60k+ job and little debt or just graduated?

The Former, I just graduated and recently landed a 60K+ job with no school debt.

Honestly in your position, I'd get a cheap comfy ride and save my money for a couple years and get something much better down the line.

What car did you have in mind when you said "down the line"? And why is it really not worth the buy right now?

Given some depreciation time, I could easily see a >2012 Cayman falling within striking distance of the $30k or so price of the BMW.

Fiddling with 10 year old BMW electronics isn't exactly my idea of bliss, but everyone's different.

>Z4
They couldn't make an uglier car if they tried.

Hmmm never thought about the Cayman. Thanks for the advice.

Lol whats unappealing about the z4?

false

The Z4 is an awesome ride, theres a white coupe at my work thats gorgeous.
But I still think they're overpriced and apparently bmw a shit for reliability.

I say go for the miata
youtu.be/yZzP374As4A

thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330

Fake enthusiast

it saddens me that people actually are taking that anecdotal retarded jalopnik article seriously

the z4 has power windows, ac, a radio, basic T/C
wow such complicated electronics

That car is making my dick so hard I may have to go masterbate

How? What the fuck

>anecdotal
Guy provides plenty of examples outside of his own experience for the things he's talking about

but when i masterbate is fire

you can find and see examples of poor reliability literally for any engine, any brand

Is this what the car actually looks like or is it just a crappy body kit?

Sure, and for bmw engines it tends to be worse off than others.

Spoiler and rims are aftermarket but the rest is stock

You're an actual fucking retard.

in that case mazda, ford, dodge, nissan etc engines are even more gigantic pieces of shit

Many of the claims he made are actually substantiated by the forum users/articles that he provided links to. I dont really give a shit about bmw reliability, but the guy calling the article 'anecdotal' is full of shit

They sure are. You want a pat on the back or something?

The little retarded roof spoiler too. And I don't remember seeing that piece under the rear bumper before.
It's got a nice presence, pictures don't really capture it well. it's one of those cars you walk past in a parking lot and are like "shieeet"

as I said, you can go to any forums and find reliability issues for any engine, car and brand.

A car should be 10% of your anual salary
Sure you can spend more but don't bitch about having to work into your 70's you stupid cunt

And yet bmw engines are still bigger pieces of shit than a lot of other car brands.
There's a reason why people get laughed out of this board when they ask about buying bmws with 100k+ miles

>200k a year gets you a 20k car
wew lad
I bought an E46 M3 in cash straight out of high school, does that make you mad?

WHY ARE YOU ON A CAR ENTHUSIAST BOARD YOU DIPSHIT

The people here who have actually owned BMWs seem to think otherwise, I'm more likely to trust somebody with actual experience owning and fixing the car than some weeaboo memester.

>A car should be 10% of your anual salary
this meme needs to stop
who came up with this shit

>100k miles
lmao
i've never owned a BMW with less than 180k miles, and i've owned 7 of them, currently daily drive a 265k mile e60.
The engines are literally faultless.
A chance of engine failure is minimal.
Anything else on the car might degrade but not the engines
There is a reason you can buy 500-700k km bimmers in Europe still going strong.

can confirm, having owned a BMW and frequenting BMW meets that I've never met anyone with actual engine issues
talking shit about the actual engine of BMWs is a surefire sign of somebody whose only experience with the cars is their dad's car buying advice
things that actually do suck in BMWs, and pretty much everyone but the most blind of fanboys will admit:
>cooling systems
>vanos seals
>anything with the word "pump" in its name
>door lock, window, and seat electronics
>AC blower motors
>radiator fan clutch
with the exception of the cooling system, none of this shit is a big deal and is certainly not going to prevent you from getting where you need to go

Enjoy being poor you fucking retards

>but I'm too good for a civic
why do BMW's attract fubbois?

If a cooling system problem does arise how much does it normally costs to repair/replace and how often do they occur if at all?

one cooling pipe costs about 50$ new for an e46/e39/z4
a thermostat costs about the same
a full cooling system overhaul costs about 400-800$

Neither

WHY ARE YOU ON A CAR ENTHUSIAST BOARD

Yeah but everything else falls off

Feel free to buy mine. It's an amazing car.

cncexotics com/detail-2007-bmw-z4-m-used-15330440 html

>you can't enjoy cars and be fiscally responsible
This is why you idiots will never prosper
If you want expensive shit you need to be able to afford it. Excuse the fuck out of me for using logic.

you realize not everyone spends the same amount as you on the same things right
just because someone has a car they actually enjoy doesn't mean they're poor, it just means they ration their money differently

Agreed. That's how I got through university. Saved all the money I made to pay every semester/loan just so I don't have to pay for that shit after I'm done school so as to enjoy the more joyful things in life life a nice BMW.

>financial advisor
You are 21 and fresh out of school, you can't provide worthwhile advice about anything.

I own a Z4M and have driven an e46 M3. The Z4M is newer looking with a nicer interior. The e46 is a early '00s car while the Z4M is a mid '00s car. Really it comes down to if you want a backseat or not or a fixed roof or drop top.

But seriously, Z4M coupe is the sexiest BMW ever.

>Just graduated from university and I'm torn between buying a BMW e46 M3 or 2006-2007 BMW z4m coupe.

Where did I provide any advice to anyone? I didn't suggest anything.

OP if you want real advice you are going to have to go to /bmw/ general. You can't expect much from poorfaggots who can't appreciate two of the greatest cars ever made.

>financial advisor
>where did I provide advice to anyone

how many times did you have to suck ur dads dick for him to get you a job at the office

That service II scare you off?

JK. Wish I had the madeira wood instead of carbon leather.

All hail the clownshoe

OP insurance will rek you.

I'm 19 and pay 300/month for a fucking Civic Si. Going to sell it soon since it's just not worth it.

To practice for owning an M3 at your age, take a few 100s and light them on fire.

You're a fucking idiot if you take the 10% thing at face value.

It literally means that 10% of your income should be devoted to the car. This includes payments, gas, insurance, etc. If you buy a car with cash, just amortize the cost over however many years you own the car.

10% is a good rule annually

Didn't suck anybodies dick. My father is a truck driver who lives in Romania. Shit you not.

No you idiot, I'm not driving an 8k car and you aren't driving a $1200 one.

lol I thought that was Canadian money. Too much man.

annually means per year retard

No shit dumbfuck, i'm not driving an 8k car and you aren't driving a 1200 one poorfag.

You're an idiot.

It means you spend 10% of your income per year on your car. Good lord, how hard is this?

>Make 60k
>Bought 9k car, owned for 3 years
>Spend 3k/year on gas/insurance/maintenance

>Averages out to 6k annually
>10%

Or, if you spend 3k every year on gas/insurance/maintenance, you can afford a $250/mo car payment, which on a 4 year loan is a 10 grand car.

Not to mention that 10% is for someone who just uses their car like an appliance and wants to live frugally. An enthusiast would definitely want to spend more.

I think he's trying to make you think he makes more per month than you do per year.

I have a car that's worth about 85% of my annual income, but I don't give a fuck, I spread it out over 3 years of payments and I enjoy it. Cars are my only big hobby other than mountain biking and vidiya

troll thread

>calls me a dumbfuck
>still doesn't know what annually mean

it means you allocate 10% of your yearly income on vehicle expenditures. Unless you plan on buying a $8k car every year you can afford a more expensive car and keep it longer!
The magic of reading comprehension and elementary school addition, eh?

Good explanation. Glad to see someone aside from me has graduated HS itt

>this entire post

Mine is only about 30%? Its whether you can afford the payments that matters.
Very first thing I did after college. And OP can't go wrong with one of the two best BMWs ever made.

Yeah this is like life skills 101 shit, but it really escapes some people.

>I have never driven a car hard
>I am fucking entitled to sports car.
Go kill yourself somewhere else, faggot.

Pretty sure that's not actually OP.

What shit insurance do you have? I pay ~200-250/month for a 330i at 18 and I have an accident history too.

you are entitled to whatever you can afford

USAA, literally the cheapest I could find.

Explain this:
>Biloxi, MS (on base)
>$280/Month

>Pittsburgh, PA
>$140/Month

>Colorado Springs, CO (on base)
>$300/Month

I think that by living on base (Chair Force), I get lumped in with all the boot faggots who buy a mustang and wrap it around a tree.

Liability on an XJ is like $130, I think I'm just gonna sell the Honda and pick up an old Cherokee.

My vote is for the M3

ive got a 03 z4 2.5 and my brother has a e46
brother and i both agree the z4 is much more fun. convertible life