Best starting tool set

Hey I was just wondering what you guys think the best starting tool set for under $200 would be for someone looking to do their own upkeep and (simple)repairs on their car would be?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.harborfreight.com/64-pc-14-in-38-in-12-in-drive-sae-metric-socket-set-67995.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Buy a 100 piece or so craftsman socket set and metric/standard wrenches. Allen heads, torq heads, break over bar, oil filter wrench. Anyone else care to add on

I have pic related. Husky 185 piece tool set. When I pulled the engine in my truck, I'd say at least 95% of the tools I used were from this kit. Other tools included some extensions and crescent wrenches, simple stuff you probably already have. Any set like this from any decent tool brand would suffice though, whether it's Husky Craftsman etc. Lots of duplicates though between the 1/4" and 3/" ratchets, and most sockets are in pairs (6 point and 12 point)

Be weary about using these sockets on high torque applications or at weird angles (cylinder head bolts, torque converter bolts). You'd be better off buying smaller higher quality sets for applications like that. Oh and pic related cost me about 150 I think.

Pretty much what he said ^^^

Get a good socket set with 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives, get all your torx and hex bits, breaker bar, assorted pliers and channel locks set, open ended wrench set, and a lot of the other stuff just add as needed.

The big mechanics sets have some useless shit. Although you could wait for the good Sears sales and get a big Craftsman set with open ended wrenches, a ton of sockets, some screwdrivers, and all that. Add the breaker bar, pliers set, and a mallet and it will take care of a lot.

Kobalt stuff is straight too for the price, but I like Craftsman since they always have huge sales on stuff and it is so easy to bring back one busted screwdriver you used as a pry bar and get a new one no questions asked.

That's nice that it came with the torx and a couple hex bits. Those things are nice to have. That's why I couldn't refuse the kit here when it was on sale for like $40 off of $130 around Christmas.

Don't be afraid of buying stuff at Harbor Freight too, just do your research first to see if it's shit or not. Their pro series impact sockets are great, and for 130 you could have a complete set of all the impact sockets you'll ever need and an electric impact driver. I got pic related on sale for like 15 dollars and it's been great for getting rusted on bolts off, or shit that the Hulk torqued down. Impact stuff isn't needed by any means, but it comes in handy.

This set is coming in the mail this week. Going to use it for some light work on my miata.

m.harborfreight.com/64-pc-14-in-38-in-12-in-drive-sae-metric-socket-set-67995.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

It can't be that bad right?

this. I got this tool set and it was all I needed for the longest time.

now I just got a makita 18v brushless impact and it has been a game changer.

I've looked into them for getting impact stuff but my problem was finding an affordable compressor.

Don't know about HF but I but a 2hp 8 gallon compressor from Canadian Tire for like $100

craigslist mayne. I got a 20$ HF air ratchet and it is pretty good, just make sure you oil it before every round of use

Get an OBD reader too

This, get one that has live readout of all the sensor data if you can. I have one that records data and can output it to PC and it even graphs out some data too. It's immensely helpful for diagnosing problems. A good OBD scanner will save you tons of money and lots of headaches, and could very well be one of the most important tools you own when trying to fix engine issues.

I might be full of shit, but for anything that is going to actually be making contact with a fastener i prefer to go a bit higher end. I don't mind a cheap ratchet< some fag here likes to come in and go on and on about how good it feels in his hand > but a cheap socket might strip a bolt, or break.

grey pneumatic has some good stuff on amazon if you ever plan on going up to air tools.

I have old craftsman sockets (made in usa) and snap on wrenches.

Those sockets are normally straight. I see lots of mechanics in garages using HF sockets because you can't fuck them up too bad and the whole set is cheaper than a single SnapOn bit if you lose it.

I have had bad experiences with those ratches though. Any cheap ratchet like that with the round head has always just broken and pieces fall apart once you try and use some force. Not fun when you slam your knuckle into some sharp piece of metal trying to do suspension stuff and the wrench fails.

They're cheap though. Use them until they break. If you want an inexpensive replacement, the HF Pittsburgh Pro ratchets with the black and green handles are much better. Otherwise grab a Craftsman kit when you see a good sale an you will have a bunch of spare sockets. Never enough sockets or ratchets.

Saved this from an earlier thread. Can someone confirm the validity?

harbor freight.

It's good but also a lot of stuff for a beginner wanting to start doing their own oil changes. You can get a lot done before you have to start buying expensive cordless impacts and fucking with electrical stuff in the car. It's easier to just buy some of that stuff as you need it and build up a collection over a few years.

>itt

Agree with you on that. If you look at the Craftsmen mechanic sets, there is a lot of shit that will never see use. Much better off just getting a set with all the sockets and open ended wrenches and buying the extra shit as needed.

Whatever you do, buy spare 10mm sockets.
You're gonna lose them.
And you won't know until you really need one.