/Dat/sun General : Progress Update Edition

Everything and anything Datsun related; its probably in your best interest to post anything /Datsun/Nissan/ related into here being that you'll get the best answer instead of shit posting.

Yo yall, its been like 2 weeks since we had a /Dat/ thread, lets see that progress on your builds.

Also my bad for not using the usual thread shit up here, i dont have it saved, i formatted this computer.

Other urls found in this thread:

chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/5677200719.html
youtu.be/5QK2u9wSRvE
youtube.com/watch?v=NZTsIykzC3g
zcardepot.com/stainless-steel-bolt-kits/engine-kits
searchtempest.com
charleston.craigslist.org/bfs/5692364571.html
providence.craigslist.org/cto/5721301326.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5669601949.html
classiczcars.com/forums/topic/30677-cowl-drain-modifcation-thanx-enrique/
chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5705008814.html
infinitihelp.com/models/2005/g35_coupe/specifications.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/5677200719.html

posting this is a datsun i can afford.

what do you guys FEEL about this ride

I'll start because I'm fucking stuck looking at these valve seats, thinking if i should replace the intake seat. If you dont know, the older heads have brass seats for the intake valves. Brass is super soft, mine dont look completely fucked up.

During my leakdown testing I never heard or felt any air escape out of the intake mani, everything was primarily breather, and exhaust..

The reason why i bring this up is that I started lapping everything down to assemble the head, and it looks like i wore through a little of the brass.

The local shop wants 375$ for the intake seats, and valve cut on all the seats, apparently the exhaust is going to be adjusted by the placing of the new seats.

The asking price is a little high esp, with it being gutted, if he has the parts in boxes that makes me feel a little better. Although you can buy new shit for the car it quickly adds up.

No pictures for the battery tray?

You have time to work on it?

it is already not an automatic that makes it worth more to me.
so whats a fair price?
what parts are hardest to come by?

i would do it. the price is higher than my shop though.

Auto -> manual conversions are relatively cheap on this car, however on this car it looks like they ripped out the harness that goes near the passegers right foot. Harness is broken down into sections (dash, rear, engine ) and all meet there..
From there the door panels are ~150 a pop from what ive seen. 300-400 for an interior set. gotta factor in front lights, and side lights. then the rear tail light cover too, but once again that all depends on market around you and if someone else is parting a car out.

Another thing that is slightly concerning is that the car just looks like it was resprayed, so that means that any rust that was on the car ( there will be, rear hatch // dog legs // ESP battery tray ) would be covered up at this point.

In the picture of the driver seat area, its concerning is the rust behind the seat. i would def address that.

i forgot about seats and other little shit. i would expect it to be like another 2k to get little shits for it. offer like 2k see what he has, it does not look like there at alot of cars in the area.
Theres a forum member i know in Alabama that has a super clean baby blue Z he need to sell. I would rather you look into that. Should be 5spd too.

Hey, thread
Some of you may not know me but I'm a shameless old tag, been here for over a decade.
I have an 85 300ZX, had her for ten years, she was my first car.
She has sat for nearly four fucking years but yesterday I GOT HER FUCKING RUNNING HOLY SHIT THIS FEELS AMAZING I FUCKING DROVE MY BABY GODDAMN IT COCAIN IS A HELL OF A DRUG
youtu.be/5QK2u9wSRvE

Mah babeh

MAH
FUGGEN
BABEH

that sounds healthy dude. congrats on getting that thing started, NA model? The front fan angle looks interesting.

Yeah, she's an NA, almost 300,000 miles.
Removed the old fan for a junkyard electric fan (nigga rigged as fukk)
I can't describe how happy this makes me. I drove her for maybe 3/8s of a mile yesterday. I have never been so happy to drive so short a distance.
Also that sound is literally only exhaust manifolds lol, rest of the exhaust isn't connected.

The cause what originally sidelined her, blown head gasket on the right head.

When I reinstalled them, I had the distributor set wayyyy off, got discouraged, let her sit for another half year
>also been broke as a lame joke

i cant tell whats right or left because its up and down. But thats why im scared of V oriented motors, just so much work because 2x everything

did you get the valve train inspected at all?

I stripped the heads down completely, have some pics laying around somewhere, but not on this device.
Honestly did a shit job cleaning the heads, but they are working fine and dandy!

what part of the harness is missing?

Isn't /dat/ the ausfag thread? Weren't we /ddt/?

Anyway, nothing much has changed since I did the L28 swap, mostly fixing minor shit like the door latch

Sexy as feck
How is she running?

Slightly lean because the A/F adjustment screw on carb #2 somehow siezed up. I'm going to swap it out for one of my spare SUs this weekend, but it's doing fine in the meantime as long as you don't go above 4k.

we taking the name, they can piss off.
Looks like the fuse box? Mine is mounted to the side of the car?

You should peep that car from Mud, should be around the same price as this guys asking.

that looks clean. i see what youre doing there billy.

youtube.com/watch?v=NZTsIykzC3g

I can make wheels move

If any of you ever do a differential overhaul, I recommend NOT losing the diff cover studs. Motherfuckers are impossible to find elsewhere.

whats the spec on the bolt?

M12-1.75 x ~25mm is what goes into the plate. the part that bolts to the mustache bar is a different measurement that I'm not sure of.

>300,000 miles.
Z31 Never dies

Summoning 260z resto guy

Any chance you could come out east for a mid-september get together?

Nope, only sleeps

I need to order a cam tower bolt, i ruined one, not sure how...
fucking dealerships in the area suck ass.

Fastinal says they have them, theres another supplier i can check out in the area and see if they have any if you cant find anything.

Z31 Thread

zcardepot.com/stainless-steel-bolt-kits/engine-kits

There's like 4 for sale not even 15 miles from me.

Get one or two.
Tons of cheap ones near me. It was weird, they seemed to appreciate a couple years ago, then the prices went right back down. Near DC btw

SC here. Gotta fix El Rusto before I'm allowed to buy more cars.

I hear you.
Got too many vehicles (3 bikes, 3 cars) to buy any more Zs too.

I feel like I shout this all over Veeky Forums but
>tfw no clean n/a 2+2 Z31 within 1000 miles of massachusetts
Is there a site that lets me simultaneously search every Craigslist in the continental US or something? Expanding my search as far as it can and using Auto Trader isn't helping me too much. Literally found one such car on Autotrader at a dealership in Oklahoma and they refused to respond to my emails when they heard I was in MA.

searchtempest.com

lol type search all Craigslist in google, like two or three different engines pop up. Usually use search tempest or whatever.

searchtempest.com

>charleston.craigslist.org/bfs/5692364571.html

lol wut
Someone got the /ddt/ fever

Thanks guys

Post results, fggt

Working on it, I'm trying to comb through for just 2+2's because reasons and it's proving to be a pain in the ass.

Last spring there was an auto 2+2 in great condition for sale a few miles away from me.
It was sexy
>but auto

Oh my god thank you Veeky Forums I finally found one
But is that a fox tail hanging on the mirror

providence.craigslist.org/cto/5721301326.html

260z resto guy here,

Back from the CUSCC auto show, a bunch of really cool cars, and here's my fav. pic of the 260z. Show was amazing, plenty of great cars and a lot of things to inspire the direction of this build.

THAT is some sexy ass 260.

Gonna let you drive the thread now, so conversations will be possible.
Good night, fags.

Fuck yeah dude!
Save it from the furry!

Work in the morning so I won't be driving very long haha. Miiiistaaaaaaaakes!

Here have a sexy butt.

The wheels look kinda shit, he said it was parked outside, and I think those are aftermarket emblems on the rear end? Gonna go try to scope it out soon and see if it isn't beseiged by cancer, otherwise it might be good. You don't see any red flags besides the junk in it in the pics?

Hard to tell from the pics but it def looks good. It does have really low miles. Take the bra off to check for chips and shit. Ask about the timing belt. If it has never been done, JEW THE FUCK OUT OF HIM. A 20+ year old timing belt is a time bomb on the VG30 engine, what with it being an interference motor.
Also check the rear quarter panels for rust especially since its from up north (road salt)
Also laugh in his face about servicing the AC, you arent gonna find R12 refrigerant anywhere.

Check for leaks and knocks and make sure she drives well THEN GET ON THAT BITCH AND ENJOY

>pic is my baby

Also that is a fake 300ZX emblem on the left trunk lid.
Poser spotted.

Yeah I'm actually a little scared to drive it home if that's the original timing belt, and he didn't mention changing that when he apparently redid the entire brake system. I probably won't want to take this car for more than 5k, but if I can jew him down enough I'd be happy to grab it. Kinda bummed at the lack of digidash though, that's what actually made these cars grab my attention.

cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5669601949.html
Found this one too, cleaner looking, higher mileage, 3 owners already, but a bit cheaper and has the digital dash. Mileage+owner count makes me a bit averse to it though.

There's a guy by my house with a 300zx turbo z31 turbo just sitting in his bushes. I think i'm gonna ask about it.

So, when you gonna fix all those fuken dings m8?

Do it, give him a card with your number on it.

I will, i'll try to get some pics too

finally took my fender off to start some rust rapairs. took some time because some bastard welded it on at some parts for no apparent reason. got it off very delicately.

yo on that side theres like a drain for the cowl, you cant miss it, but get some hose and a clamp and put it on there so its not draining all over the place and it drains directly to the floor. if the fenders off its the best time to do it. Please take pictures of the repair :)

classiczcars.com/forums/topic/30677-cowl-drain-modifcation-thanx-enrique/
thats a guide on how to do it, just an elbow, and some silicon cock + a tube + clamp. ez

yo for anyone reading this in the morning,
does anyone run a e31, or e88 head with bronze intake valve seats on unleaded?

I find this stance to be acceptable. could use a tiny bit less negative camber and raised a half inch from where it is but does not look bad at all

I have a E36 M3 as a project car and a 20 y/o Civic I'm waiting to die.

I noticed 03-05 G35 6 speeds are getting stupid cheap (like $3000-5000 for decent sedans, and $4000-7000 for decent coupes with the sport package if I look hard enough, I live in a area where they sold a ton of them).

The closest competitors for me would be a 02-05 WRX Wagon or a Mazdaspeed 3 in that price range.

>Are they reliable? Mind you I'm likely getting one with 110-160k miles, manual without a doubt. What about maintenance costs?

>How's the gas mileage? I get 26-30mpg out of a single cam Civic, and 20-23mpg out of my M3

>I know its not a E36 M3 but is it entertaining to drive? I hated a 350Z Z33 I test drove at a used parking lot, zero visibility and felt way bigger than it actually was. The M3 will likely end up my track car.

>I live in the Northeast, how quickly will it rust? Kinda why I'm gravitating towards a G35 too, won't feel too bad if I drive it in the winter vs my M3.

>How can I tell if a coupe is a sport package? Just by the Brembos? I'll try to find a coupe but won't pass up a nice sedan.

i kinda wanted a 510 coupe
they are just hard to find...
what do you guys feel about this car
chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5705008814.html

its not expensive, its pretty much the same as a 510. i have no interest in keeping the stock engine. there will be a swap for a more powerful motor if i buy it
transmission undecided

dear daily datsun thread,
would you please revert to using /ddt/ instead of /dat/. /dat/ is already used by the daily ausfag thread.
best wishes
australian shitposting committee

This winter brochacho. I'll be starting when it starts snowing.

I drove a couple of coupes around, but they were all auto tragic, really fun cars however. Lots of power for hills and highway. Was cruizing around 85-90mph the whole time in LA, and still had power to play. MPG will be closer to the m3, as far as sport packaging goes look at infinitihelp.com/models/2005/g35_coupe/specifications.php

it would appear that the trim on the seats are different, non squared wheels, and and LSD.

I would think that living in the NE you would want something like a 4runner tho. I love 4runners :D

if you bought that car, and did a engine swap in it, you would lower the value of that car. I would keep it stock, maybe change it to a 5spd.

i apologize for my mistake, will fix it in the next thread.

Thanks for the advice

lower the value? why would i care?
its already cheap.

the value is the selling price mate.

Ah okay

I kinda felt like a 4Runner would get worse mpg (similar sized engine, way worse gearing/aero), I wouldn't mind one though. It doesn't snow enough where I can get away with just using all seasons and staying home the 3-5 days or so of the year it actually snows more than a few inches. They just salt the fuck out of the roads here.

So I've pieced it together. Since that's the drain is there a better way to have it drain. I'll do the tubing so it goes straight to the ground better instead of all over. But I've noticed when the fender is on there's no where for water to go and this rusty areas is where it collects I'm sure. Not that I'd ever drive my baby in the rain but is there a better way for it to drain out instead of collect under the fender? I do plan on priming and painting everything, pretty much the frame and anywhere not visible I'm going to water proof.

WAY high on the price. I sold a 77' that had been redone (reasonably well), rust free for $5700. That guy is insane. Would offer $1500.

oh why did you sell yours for so little?

So im looking at my 260z, and there are 2 bolt holes for the fender under that spot, the nearest drain is under the hinge of the door. It might be easier to drain it forward under that L bracket, although there is a little mud guard on the fender, there should be enough space.

i wish they said fairlady here