My brother in law just got out of being fined for driving without a license by arguing the court and the judge could...

My brother in law just got out of being fined for driving without a license by arguing the court and the judge could not prove jurisdiction.

How the fuck does this happen? Why doesn't everyone just use this defence? This seems so stupid.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t-32-m0_-Sg
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm picturing it being you, not your bother, and I'm picturing it turning out like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=t-32-m0_-Sg

Why the shit would I succeed and then say someone else did?

I'm genuinely perplexed at how retarded this is. Worried that the idiot is going to let it go to his head and get his ass thrown in jail eventually.

I would really like someone to explain how American law can be this fucking stupid.

quality Veeky Forumstory thread

Law is also stated to be a board topic.

>Are you a US Citizends :D
>No
WHat the fuck was his problem?

Those are sovereign citizens, not the same as challenging jurisdiction which I don't fully understand.

How the hell could the court not prove jurisdiction.? If he was caught within that traffic court's jurisdiction, the cop's testimony alone would be enough to support that argument.

Nigga I don't know but dags seem to be doing it all the time and I can't find anything on why it's bullshit.

>the court and the judge could not prove jurisdiction
I'm not sure what you mean.
Was he caught by the police outside of their jurisdiction? Then he got lucky. The coppers rarely stray out of their territory, and when they do they're at fault and almost powerless.
Did he manage to disprove jurisdiction as a concept? I don't believe you.

ask him how he did it you idiot

This, jesus fucking christ.

First he filed a "motion in limiting" and a "motion to dismiss on lack of jurisdiction" which in his words: the first meant that the DA and judge couldn't talk about anything until the dealt with his second motion which they wouldn't be able to do because they couldn't prove a crime was committed, this part wasn't too clear.

So he went for his court date but the officer that served the ticket was on leave and the rescheduled. Second time was a month later and they ask him if he wants to settle up for $480 for missing a previous court date and driving with a suspended license, he refused and it went to trial.

After waiting for a few hours the DA (I think he's confusing his terms) asked to talk to the judge and when the judge came out he dismissed the case citing the officer was still on leave and told my in law that this had nothing to do with his "ridiculous" motions.

He called bullshit on that and now believes he's onto something since a two month leave for the cop seems awfully convenient.

I have to admit the whole thing has me scratching my head, especially since when I googled what I thought would be this shit: l couldn't find anything disproving it.

So wtf happened?

>when I googled what I thought would be this shit: # l couldn't find anything disproving it.

In fact quite the contrary, plenty of shit telling me that I should totes challenge jurisdiction in both traffic and family court and not a fucking word on why it's a terrible idea.

So again, any lawfags know what this shit is about and why it's bullshit?

>So again, any lawfags know what this shit is about and why it's bullshit?

Because ignorance of the law is no defense, and arguing with a judge is an excellent way to get arbitrarily fiend and / or imprisoned.

It had nothing to do with jurisdiction. The jurisdiction things is just a traffic lawyer thing to play hardball and making things difficult.

Most of the time, cops don't show up if you take it to court. The police usually expect you to just pay the ticket, as paying a traffic lawyer, and showing up to court is a pain in the ass. If they don't show up, they can't provide adequate testimony, and then the charges get thrown out.

Whatever jurisdiction shit there is, it's just signalling that you're going to be a pain in the ass and it's not worth dealing with you. Again, most of the time, if you take a ticket to court, you can get it thrown out because it's not worth the cop's time when they can just ticket someone that will pay their ticket.

tell your brother thanks for wasting my tax dollars

Most minor offences can be gotten out of, are you serious? You can get out of a speeding ticket just by going to court over and over again and arguing nonsense.

Court time is not to be wasted over trivial manners and judges know this. Why should they spend time decided on what to do for a $100 fine when it's costing the court thousands to be there?

It's of no consequence.

PROTIP: If you get a speeding ticket and the cop is a cunt, take it to court but at every chance you have change the date of your trail. The cop has to take time off of work and go to court, they fucking hate it.

nice protip, but it's generally not good advice to antagonize cops where i'm from

>but it's generally not good advice to antagonize cops where i'm from
They can't do anything if you antagonize them in court. You take the ticket, you be a normal citizen but you be a cunt through the system. There is nothing they can do. They have to take of the time from work, they get paid, but they would rather be working than sitting in court.

Antagonize in person at your own risk.

>The cop has to take time off of work and go to court, they fucking hate it.
If that's true why didn't they take time off for either of his court dates?

>There is nothing they can do.
Except fuck with me right back on the street.

>If that's true why didn't they take time off for either of his court dates?
If you are summoned to court you are required by law to appear, unless you have reasons not to.

You can't just not go to court and face no repercussions.

Pussyo.

OK so why didn't the court summon the cop?

outside the big city at least, law enforcement officers pretty much pervade the entire community. my dad is friends with cops, my uncle's cousin is a cop, etc. you do something like what you are describing, they will make it their little project to fuck with you and your relatives for the rest of your charmed life.

Because they don't get paid for showing up to court. They'd rather ask for leave and have the day off, than spend a day going to court to testify against you and not get paid anyways. There's nothing suspicious about it.

>Because they don't get paid for showing up to court.
Yes they do

But :

Said they do get paid.
>They have to take of the time from work, they get paid, but they would rather be working than sitting in court.
So which is it?

But not for travel or something, so they have to spend a couple hours driving there and back.

Just dropping in to say that as a lawyer, law threads on Veeky Forums are especially hilarious to browse, even more than "history" thread.

I'm a bird lawyer, you're no real lawyer.

So is it
>my brother in law just spent several days making an ass of himself in public to avoid paying $200
or
>my brother just paid a traffic lawyer $800 to get out of paying a $200 fine
?

Yeah, this. There's a lot of BS you can pull to force the ticketing officer into court. A good deal of the time they won't show up, and thus the judge will toss it out. (Though if they do show up, they will throw the book at you.)

In most states, it still counts as a mark on your driving record however, and if you get too many moving violation marks, you can lose your license - additionally, they can affect your insurance rate. (True here in Commiefornia, where said insurance is mandatory, though you can get two marks taken off every few years, by attending comedy traffic school, or some such.)

Not really Veeky Forums - but fuck if I know what board it would be, other than /b/.

It's a small town that wouldn't have been an issue.

First one

Although he's quite proud of himself and given the end result it probably didn't look so stupid.

Worth if, if you're unemployed and lucky, I suppose... Traffic court is evil in that they tend to only be open during regular business hours, and the wait line tends to take all day.

Maybe less true in a small town, but I also think the odds of the traffic cop actually showing up to fuck you in the ass would skyrocket then.

>the odds of the traffic cop actually showing up to fuck you in the ass would skyrocket then.
You can also bet that said cop would be on you like a fly on shit from that day forward... Having seen what that entails with a bitter young cop, constantly tailing one of my friends, in a mid-sized town, this is not good.

It basically got to the point where he couldn't show his face in that suburb anymore.

Hence my bewilderment at this whole situation.
> infowars loving fuck job of an inlaw gets fined for suspended license
> fights it with something that sounds like sovereign citizen quackery
> succeeds
> maybe coincidence maybe not
> can't find shit disproving quackery online
>explanations for coincidence seem unlikely
>Don't want to believe but....

This shit seems too insane to believe, "hurr durr prove you have jurisdiction, lol", but goddammit I don't see what else might have happened.

Those 2 quotes are not mine?

I don't know, I'm trying to gauge who is correct.

Well it would obviously depend on your state/federal/local law.

Where I am they are required to appear and they get compensated, as done anyone summoned for jury duty (so long as you have employment).

It's not that's he's right. It's that the other side gave up.

That's what it means if it isn't taken to appellate court.

I don't think you understand the legal system.

Probably it either was something a bit better than that, or the judge just decided to translate it to something that'd require the officer to show up (which a lot of things even dumber than "you can't prove you have jurisdiction" can cause).

Most likely lucky the judge was in a rush and the officer didn't show - but even if he pulls the luck card repeatedly, he can only do it so many times before his license is automatically revoked (in most states). And there ain't very many ways out of driving with a suspended license (which may cost you your car - which will likely cost more to get back than the car is worth, if this guys day isn't worth $200).

You don't understand. Courts are expensive to run. And the judge has a lot of power over minor offences, which this is. Even if your in law or what ever lost his court judgement, there is ground for an appeal, which he probably would have, wasting more court's time.

It has nothing to do with his argument.

Simply the judge did not want to waste anyones, namely tax payers, time on a fucking idiot.

I dont. If I did I probably wouldn't have made a thread asking wtf happened.

Hmm, alright, thanks for explaining it.

>which will likely cost more to get back than the car is worth, if this guys day isn't worth $200
tfw you get your car impounded do to a jackass friend, and you get to pay ~$7000 to retrieve a ~$15,000 car.

...Even looked around to see if I could get a comparable car for ~$7,000 and just write it the fuck off. No such luck -- ate it in the end.

(Idiot paid half of it back to me, but blood from turnips and all.)

>Got out of the ticket
Seems pretty smart to me desu

For many adults it's not worth the time out of their lives to dispute a ~$200 fine.