What modern cars are fun/easy to wrench on?

What modern cars are fun/easy to wrench on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=27lWWNGSj4I
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2VF3UN0274&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-AT - Diagnostic & Test Tools-_-9SIA2VF3UN0274&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhQutYYqF0n9mqNDTaGWeNHHVSna4oAheE4EuJyol9XsaAodO8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

honda fit

None. You are going to need extensive special service tools for diagnostics.

What you're looking for is called a motorcycle.

Wrenching in general is not fun, unless you're a Masochist. I only do it becuase I'd be broke otherwise.

It's really not THAT expensive, especially if you look for them on sale around christma/black friday/back to school sales (Sears and Harbor Freight put all kinds of shit on sale for VoTec kids going back to school)

Having a proper scanner is just another tool you need, like a decent jack or set of sockets

I wouldn't know that because I haven't wrenched yet.

Okay, what modern cars are easy to wrench on, or at least to preventative maintenance?

>modern
>easy to wrench on
How new are we talking, OP?

>I only do it becuase I'd be broke otherwise.
Amen brother.

>Wrenching in general is not fun, unless you're a Masochist. I only do it becuase I'd be broke otherwise.

bud what

theres nothing more rewarding than putting shit back together under the hood and going out for a rip

Crown vic, technically old but they made them until 2011. Most things are easy to do on them.

Yeah okay. You fucking work on this junk then

youtube.com/watch?v=27lWWNGSj4I

Maybe to you, but the physical pain and heartache when shit breaks trying to fix something else, and empty wallet when all is said and done, are not rewarded enough by the car simply doing what it should normally.

It just isn't, I only do it becuase I can, and its 10 times cheaper than just say fuck it and get someone else to do it.

Its not a new car but Ive have found that my 2001 corolla surprising easy to work on. It actually had plenty of room in the engine bay.

Working on cars is not fun or easy.

Holy shit where did all the pussy numales come from?

>want to try working on cars
>print off factory manual
>too intimidating, order a Haynes
>doesn't make it look any less easy

Maybe if I had a garage and more than 1 car, I'd give it a shot, but my current career doesn't really make that possible. So fuck it, I'll just other people to do it, tools are expensive af anyway.

Nigger I'm sick of the dumb car culture thing of glamorizing that, it's a pain in the ass and is 90% of the time not rewarding at all.

I dunno, man. I enjoy working on my car. Sure, it's just an '01 Civic, but replacing or changing something gives me a satisfying feeling that makes the car feel just that much more an extension of myself.

oh look another alt-right redpilled wannabe-"alpha" pseudo-boomer bill-whittle worshipping art-of-manliness reading fag, calling someone a numale on Veeky Forums again.

Tools aren't expensive. Just buy the big stanley boxes from walmart, everything you need shouldn't cost more than 100$

if you really wanna save bux go to the flea market

Sounds like you're just a lazy pussy

K24 is pretty fun.

>hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I change my own oil i da gearhead now xDDD

Says the bus rider.

>oh look another alt-right redpilled wannabe-"alpha" pseudo-boomer bill-whittle worshipping art-of-manliness reading fag, calling someone a numale on Veeky Forums again.

Oh look another skinny jean hipster faggot that takes his car to the dealer for an oil change because it's a free headache lazy nigger numale that can't do anything for himself

blah blah blah dramatization of dumb bullshit
fuck off shithead
I care about driving cars

How much space does a full set of tools take up? As in, everything I'll need for self-maintenance. My AW11 only has a couple cubic feet of room left once I've loaded it up with all my shit (which I have to do when I get posted to another base).

Honestly everything about the 5th gen SS is easy to work on

>Brake pad swap took less than an hour
>headers and shit took maybe 4 hours
>oil changes are like 30 minutes top
>CAI install took like 15 minutes
>hurst short throw shifter install took about 3 hours

All done by someone who isn't exactly a full on tech. Thinking about buying a supercharger and doing the install myself. Instructions are straight forward and doesn't require any tools I don't have

>he considers changing oil "working" on his car
fuck me you really are a desperate lil numale

>tfw dont know where to get tools
>tfw cant afford all that stuff and jack stands and all that shit
>tfw cant afford to work on my own car and risk fucking up

I agree with you. the least stressful car work I've done is working on my dad's car since I am not in a bind to have it fixed. working on my own cars? nightmare. all I want is my car fixed and if things aren't going right I'm already in ragemode. I own Toyotas for a reason... because I don't want to have to work on them. I'll get an older sporty car when I have some money saved and if its broken I won't be too worried about it.

you can go for a toyota sports car

How hard is it to work on these?

eh.. maybe. I was thinking an early 00s maxima to be honest. an AW11 would be nice, but I'd want a v6 swapped in it from the Sienna or Camry, but I don't know if I'm capable of it.

Being able to work on your car is always going to be a big part of the culture, just like building/working on your pc is a big part of computer enthusiasm. Enthusiasts should have more knowledge about, interest in, and willingness to mess with things they like than non enthusiasts.

I'll agree though that repairs can be annoying; no one likes it when their stuff is broken, but routine maintenance and upgrades are fun.

Fuuuuuuck that.

How is it not?

we actually drove an ST before my buddy settled on a MS3. It was actually a fun little car... if it was priced below 20k it would totally be worth it. 27k? nah...

This. I replaced the headgaskets on my subaru myself, saved about $1000 in the process, and have the satisfaction of knowing that without my hard work/under someone else's ownership, the car would have gone to the junkyard a long time ago. Instead it runs better than new and is now dead reliable because of me. I made this work.

My brother's got an 00 maxima SE 5 speed. I wouldn't want to do an alternator or anything with the rear bank. Fuck transverse v6s. Great car otherwise though.

Are you retarded? Numales are the ones that don't know how to change oil, much less do "actual work" as you say

yeah, ideally I'd like something RWD... but I'd like to stay under 3k as it would be a second car for shits and giggles.

is the GT86 reliable? maybe you can go for a used one
there's also importing a toyota sprinter
there's also the corolla XRS

>Subaru owner
>bloated sense of ego

Checks out.

Uh huh.

>strongly considering buying a Fiesta ST
>and getting the MP215 kit that retains warranty
>and then upgrading to MR265 when factory warranty runs out
>literally going to be spending 30k on a Fiesta

Might be a mistake but a tiny 265hp/272lb-ft hot hatch I can easily fit all my stuff in sounds pretty fun.

I don't know if I'm sold on the 86 yet. the XRS is a matrix right? I'd probably go for the mr2 1st or 2nd gen before I'd look at a matrix desu.

>has to pull entire engine to change headgaskets
>flat 4 so good

look at those massive coolant channels tho

>Fuck transverse v6s
what about a transverse v8? Yeah i agree with you on that i'll take a 4 banger over any fwd v6

>dat can of kroil

muh grease monkey

the XRS is a corolla with REVS ALL THE WAY TO 'ERE

My nigga.

shit. that would be fun as fuck. it doesn't have to be fast, just fun.

i like it

Crown Victoria.

You technically can do it with the engine in, it's just a lot easier to do it with it out. At least it's not hard to get a subaru engine out in less than an hour.

It's a decently quicky get up and go
It's just rare because
>corolla
>sedan
So nobody bought one as they got a Civic Si or Focus SVT instead

Toyota is a fucking expert at putting their best engines into unassuming cars to ensure that the performance car has poor sales and they can make the excuse "SEE!? Nobody wants fast fun cheap cars anymore!"

Thanks. The next thing I plan on doing, besides changing the oil soon, is the rear Hasport mount.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Appreciate the advice.

Check out this dank fucking meme

Toyota did this on purpose, the fuckers

Probably why the GT86 is never getting forced induction or a 2.5L

>all these people saying they don't like to work on cars
Why are you all even here?

I'm putting another vote for "lazy pussy". Also, kill yourself, fag.

because its about driving

Can you write an essay for school or fill out a resume, or job application, Can you run a mile?

Do you enjoy doing any of that? Do you get an overwhelming sense of accomplishment from doing any of that?

No?

Just becuase you can do something doesn't mean its enjoyable.

You're a pussy if you don't work on your own car.

>This. I replaced the headgaskets on my subaru myself, saved about $1000 in the process, and have the satisfaction of knowing that without my hard work/under someone else's ownership, the car would have gone to the junkyard a long time ago. Instead it runs better than new and is now dead reliable because of me. I made this work.
Look ma, an actual auto enthusiast on Veeky Forums and not a normie that's afraid to get her hands dirty!

it's actually about cars, you know aut/o/ short for automobile.

wrenching yourself has and will always be one of the biggest aspects to car culture, it's the people who say they like cars but hasn't touched a single bolt on their own car that disgusts me.

>taking the time to present well-made arguments in writing and working out your body are boring so I don't do it unless my teacher tells me to

Never go full pleb, son.

Are you retarded?

>as he posts a five thousand dollar gas cap torque wrench

its about driving

fucking millennials. something isnt pumping dopamine into your bloodstream every 3.5 seconds like your stupid iphone games so you cant fucking stand it. enjoy being perpetually depressed because youll never actually work for something or do anything actually rewarding in your dumbass life.

If you mean 500$, then sure

Yeah man fuck Jay leno he's not like us at least we work on our civics we're 10x the car enthusiast he is

You're the idiotic millenial that thinks maintaining your car makes you a fucking enthusiast
Fuck off millenial numale, you're so fucking desperate to prove yourself, I have never met a man so insecure.

>LOL I CHANGE HEADGASKET IM SO GEARHEAD

I bet you didn't deck your heads yourself though did you faggot? That's what I thought.

>we live in an era where people think making sure they're shitboxes still run is some integral part of car enthusiasm
jesus fucking christ
what you people glamorize i call sunday, and its a pain in the ass. because its fucking WORK

You no shit think people junk cars over head gaskets? Because they fucking don't. Couldn't tell you how many head gaskets I've changed at dealer rates on cars with 300,000+ miles.

Working on your car is 10x what enthusiast do. That ricer with a fart can exhaust he installed himself is more of an enthusiast than you are.

>essay for school
I still enjoy writing.

>resume
I enjoy making resumes really elaborate, my current one has hidden bane posts everywhere.

>job application
Such an insignificant task i don't even feel for it.

>run a mile
I go for a jog every weekend about 5.2 kilometers, it's great when you have music, and early morning air is really nice. Nice to not live in a shit city where the air is polluted as fuck.

You're a faggot numale. Go play your iphone games to feed your short attention span.

>being so poor you can't afford to take your car to the shop to get it fixed

The butthurt is palapable.

Yes it is part of the culture, but it doesn't mean all of us enjoy doing it, we do it becuase one has to.

Do most racecar drivers fix their own racecars?

Fuck no.

Again I'm capable of pulling an engine apart if I have to but, unlike most of you underage faggots here I have a thousand other things that I need to do in the course of a day.

>That ricer with a fart can exhaust he installed himself is more of an enthusiast than you are.
haha what the fuck?
This has to be b8 right
and I love how this guy thinks we can't work on our cars.

Nice I hear good things about that mount. I have the Boomba Racing mount.
Just ordered a CT-e supercharger and AEM CAI. It's my next project.

Sure, I'll ignore the $4500 worth of cock you sucked in trade.

??? Do you even have a real concept of cost?

I bought that Autel setup on black friday last year for a little over 500 dollars, plus 3 years of updates for an extra 100. It didn't/doesn't retail for anywhere near 5K even at full price

You can get the entire kit I have right now on newegg for 1100, and you can catch great sales on these systems all the time:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2VF3UN0274&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-AT - Diagnostic & Test Tools-_-9SIA2VF3UN0274&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhQutYYqF0n9mqNDTaGWeNHHVSna4oAheE4EuJyol9XsaAodO8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mercedes Mechanic here, no I won't claim any Merc to be easy to wrench on...

For easy wrenching, I would have to claim :
-Most trucks that still use full frames.
-Toyota : Corolla, Camry, Yaris, GT86, even the FJ.
-Honda : Civic (obviously), Accord.

... As for the Big three domestics, unfortunately their cars are mostly designed retardedly. Think tightly packed like German cars, but for absolutely no reason.

Most Subarus are fun to wrench on... but when they rust holy shit do they become a pain in the ass.

I'm probably forgetting a shit load as the wine is starting to kick in, but yeah, don't bother wrenching on german vehicles for fun, unless they're older models.

I was giving you a hard time assuming you bought something worth having. I didn't know it was worthless garbage that you could have gotten at vatozone for 35.99 plus the free jumpers for OBDI.

>got called out for being a dumbass
>nu-uh! I was just trolling the whole time!

Not even close, junior. Let the tripfag defend his shitty purchase by himself.

Enjoyment takes effort no matter what you're doing, and no matter what you're doing it's possible to enjoy it. Try harder, pussy.

>... As for the Big three domestics, unfortunately their cars are mostly designed retardedly. Think tightly packed like German cars, but for absolutely no reason.

What are you talking about? My 2000 focus was a breeze to work on, it was as hard as a civic.

Also my 1998 dodge dakota wasn't as bad as other dodge cars, but i guess you already mentioned trucks.

I so far haven't owned an American car younger that 2005 so idk maybe newer ones have gotten too hard to work on.

>Full diagnostics kit
>For only about 500 dollars
>Useless purchase
Confirmed for bus rider.

>2000 focus
Basically a European car.

It's gonna be long time before I can afford that. Looking at getting a Full Race exhaust next year. Or Xmas.

>Yes it is part of the culture, but it doesn't mean all of us enjoy doing it, we do it becuase one has to.
This. I hate having to fix my shit because it means my shit broke in the first place, meaning I have to figure the stupid thing out to get it to work again. It isn't fun. It is only fun if the fucking thing is working. I only do it to save money and do it right. But fuck working on shit.

>Yes it is part of the culture, but it doesn't mean all of us enjoy doing it, we do it becuase one has to.

ok then i only like wrenching on cars i don't like driving them but i'm a car guy

>its about driving

i'm not saying it isn't, i'm saying there is more to it than just driving and the easiest way to feel satisfaction from this hobby is being able to not be a complete moron and fix his own damn car

Nice, Full Race is a good exhaust. I like mine + the downpipe.

So then what the fucks your problem?

It's useless because he spent $564 too much. Could have the same from vatozone for next to nothing. On top of the fact that he's a scheister jew used car salesman that would only use those things to know what he's hiding from customers, rather than actual diagnostics to fix problems.

Why are there two different kinds of shoes next to each other right in the middle of all the ducks? I would have to fix that.

Autism and the inability to understand and empathize that having a skill doesn't mean you enjoy using that skill.

A gay man can get a woman pregnant, however does he enjoy it?