Opinions pls

So im in the market for a new car. I have a 2005 v8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The engine is great but the suspension is shit, it idles funny, theres some leakage here and there, the brake booster is shot, etc. I dont want to do the work, instead i want to pick out a new or CPO car.

After visiting numerous dealerships, the one car that stood out was the facelifted (2015+) charger. I want to get one thats R/T Scat Pack w/the road and track package for around 35k. I drove the supercharged one and fell in love, but its too much of a dicking for me and i am afraid of the pure horsepower, so im looking at the scat without the SC. What do you guys think?

Is it a good buy? Any serious problems youre aware of? Any other recommendations? Im looking for this thing to hold me over for at least the next 5 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LHXoxZRSv-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fix the Jeep. Cars are not consumables.

Typically the more powerful Dodges get actual decently built transmissions, so there is that. It's probably he cheapest way to get that amount of power new, but it's damn heavy.
The other thing worth considering is a Chevy SS. Sedan, V8, 415hp. Nobody is buying them, so they tend to go well under MSRP new. I've heard of them going for as low as $32k new. Plus, since they sold like shit, once people realize they're actually good, you can sell it pretty high.

>he market for a new car. I have a 2005 v8 Jeep Grand Cheroke
Count the parts and the labor/manhours it would take for me to invest into a car that has 105k miles on it. Brake booster ~200$, Fluid 40$~, Full set of pads and rotors 380, 2 stuck calipers 210, 400$ full engine service, All control arms and ball joints 800$ w/Bushings, Steering Rack 300$, Tie rod ends outer 40$. Now all that would take me about a week to do myself, or like 2000$ at a shop, which mind you i cant spend a week off work to work on my car which i use to get to work.

Not to mention that its become boring, underpowered, and potentially problematic in the future. Its not that its a consumable, its the fiscally responsible decision to invest in something newer with less wear that will retain value without me having to invest so much into it.

I checked out the SS, theyre pretty rare stock up where i live. They want to specially import it for me and charge me 38 base for it, which im not interested in cause for less than that i can get the charger with the 6.3 at 490 to the wheels. Mind you the SS looks like another cheap chromed generic highway cruiser. Its a good sleeper, if youd like that sort of thing.

It's called a rental car. If you're not old enough to rent get your parents to and borrow one of their cars.

I think you have two cars mixed up as scat pack chargers start at $40k while a R/T road & track starts at $36k which is the price you mentioned

There is the charger R/T with the 5.7 L V8 making 370 hp/395 lb-ft. There is the R/T ($33k) and the R/T road and track trim ($36k). With the R/T road and track trim you get a sportier interior, 3.07 axle ratio, higher top speed, better tires, better brakes, and better suspension compared to the base R/T.

The Charger R/T Scat Pack 392 starts at $40k and is essentially a less expensive SRT 392 with the same 6.4 L V8 making 485 hp/475 lb-ft but smaller brakes and no 3 mode electronic suspension. You are still getting brembo brakes but only 4 piston in front and 2 piston in rear compared the SRT's 6 piston in front and 4 piston in rear.

As you can see, they are completely different cars and are both pretty kick ass. Now, which one are you talking about?

I am talking about buying a 2015 scat pack for about 35k with around 10k miles on it, as its still under factory warranty and Ill recieve CPO as soon as that expires. Ive been checking prices and i can do this realistically speaking, i just want to hunt around. Id also want the manual before the auto, if anything. Sorry if im a bit confused, too many options to account. I really wanted the road and track package but idk if its available on the 392.

ah ok.

Well, the charger doesn't come with a manual like the challenger. Only the 8 speed automatic.

The road and track package doesn't really exist anymore for the charger or challenger, its thrown in as standard on the second trim of the charger R/T called the R/T Road and Track.

The scat pack already comes with more upgrades than the R/T road and track such as brembo brakes and slotted rotors all around, the 6.4 L V8, upgraded bilstein suspension, and upgraded tires. You could almost argue the "track package" for the scat pack would be the SRT 392 since that adds better tires, suspension, and brakes than what is already on the Scat Pack.

I would go for it if you can find one that fits your price range. I've had my challenger SRT 392 for about a year now and it has been great. Interior is super nice, very little road noise on the highway, transmission shifts effortlessly, and the engine is just a total beast! If you do go for it I would advise getting better tires somewhere down the line as the 245 good years are pretty small for that big of a car. I roll with 275s all around and still think the rear wheels need to be a little wider haha

Buying FCA.
Why are people so retarded??

its literally a 15 year old Mercedes e-class with a Chrysler engine and interior designed/made before Fiat bought it.

not a great track car but its fast as fuck

The FIRST generation charger is based on the Mercedes tech, using the LX platform which was a hybrid of the outgoing E and S class that Mercedes rolled over to Chrysler/Dodge so they could build a decent sedan

From 2011 on, the Charger is on the internally sourced LD platform, which eliminated all the old Mercedes components, and the interior build quality and durability is...lacking

LGP guy speaks the truth.
Merc dropped a turd.

That's the thing, if you like the way a first gen Charger rides/drives, just go buy a W211 E Class, and the E55/E63's from that generation are fucking fantastic

LPG is a used car salesman, he's just trying to get rid of the pre 2011 Chargers on his lot.

Don't have any pre-2011's, all the Chargers we have are newer model rental fleet cast offs

ah ok, didn't know that. There seems to be very little information on the platform change.

Does the current challenger that runs on the LA platform still use any Mercedes parts?

Almost pulled the trigger on a 2013 police package charger with the 5.7 only 4k miles for 18k privately owned since new but it just sold today. Maybe I'll be better off, seemed like a good deal though.

how did a PP Charger only have 4k miles on it?

Privately owned.

exactly, how did a private owner get a PP charger, they are supposed to be government only in terms of sales

Honestly couldn't tell you. He had quite the write up on it and said he was the original owner. Could have been something up with it, guess we'll never know

>Cars are not consumables.

That's literally wrong.

They are most likely not very protective in small overlap crashes. The Dodge Challenger of the same year got a marginal rating.

youtube.com/watch?v=LHXoxZRSv-I

>Chrysler
Kill yourself

Why would you ditch a car with only 105k miles on it? You aren't being the financial wizard you think you are. Especially considering the parts cost you have listed exceed the shop estimate indicating you can't do math and were too lazy to get a real quote.

Protip: New cars are shit and break down too. Everyone who actually works on cars knows this. That' why most mechanics drive old shitheaps.