QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Learn And Get Good Edition

>Ask Veeky Forums questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Note: Posting your question in a General or a Daily Thread might increase the chances of your question being answered soon.
(Threads listed below might be archived and also the generals which are not mentioned below have not been seen since ages.)
>Sticker question?
>Auto Vidya question?
>Honda question?
>Hot Hatch question?
>BMW question?
>Australia question?
>Motorcycle question?
>Truck question?
>Used Car question?
Read the sticky first.

Last QTDDTOT -

Other urls found in this thread:

raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5688200731.html
jalopnik.com/here-s-what-the-joker-s-car-in-suicide-squad-really-is-1770295510
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nice
viper some day you will be mine

Single mass Fly wheel correct? Did you resurface it when you threw the new clutch in?

The springs are supposed to alleviate rattling, if you have a single mass flywheel. Heat will alter the properties of the springs.

As to how it got heated that much I have no clue, I'venever seen a clutch disc come out like that. how does the flywheel, pressure plate and input shaft look?

Good luck and I hope your dreams come true. :)

Single mass flywheel yes, I got a new one when I replaced the clutch. It is a wrx, so I have launched it hard maybe once a month after the break in period. I'm wondering since I replaced the clutch and drove to vegas and I counted the drive as part of the break in period, the clutch wasn't fully broken in when I started driving it a bit harder. Currently the flywheel, pressure plate and throwout bearing look fine if not a bit covered in clutch dust. Input shaft is also clean. For reference the brand of the clutch is LUK which I've never heard of but it's what napa had in stock that day. I should gone for exedy or something.

My wife told me she "tried" to refill the oil in my car. When I asked where she put the oil, she showed me that she dumped a whole fucking quart of 5W-30 plus healthy additives...in the fucking gas tank. What the hell do I do? I haven't started it, if that helps.

Someone halp pls

take the gas tank off, drain it. if she ran it with the oil in the tank, idek

I ran mixed gas in a jeep one time to get to the gas station, it didn't make it a block. But it started again when I put regular in it. I think you're screwed, no way to dilute it out enough to run. Maybe just overfill it with 30 gallons so it continually dilutes what's in the tank and let the rest run out. That would be cheaper than a shop dropping the tank, but by no means guaranteed

>mfw
I don't have the tools to drop a tank, so I'll have AAA take it to a mechanic.

Why dont Petrol engines use a Diesel style injection?

ie Compressing the air charge and then injecting fuel near TDC and spark.

Is it only because of fuel mixing properly?

Is the 2017 Bentley Bentayga a crossover SUV or a Full Sized SUV?

Give her a pat on the back for the attempt and make her pay the bill

I don't think my engine could handle running with oil, so I'll have to sack up and pay for the mech.

She'd get all pissy, but I'm going to try.
>user, how dare you make me pay after I tried to do you a favor
>you put oil into the FUCKING gas tank woman!
>well, how was I supposed to know where to put it? It wasn't marked
>mfw

Because the volatility and flame front speed of gas means it will happen too early and fast and cause detonation. Better to stay below the limit of auto ignition and set it off the right amount of time before tdc, which as you know changes with engine speed

It's a crossover based on the Audi Q7's platform.

This is why you should never ask a girl to handle your car in any way. Yes, not even your mom.

She did it as a surprise. I was pretty fucking surprised.

I'd feel bad desu.

>just trying to help
>fuck up
>embarassed
>probably pay for the repairs and buy you some nice beer or liquor
But I'm not a woman so I don't know what I'd do

I don't know jackshit about cars but I really want to get into it.

I have a budget of 5,000-7,000$ish
I want to get something reliable/safe and fun that is easy for a beginner to not fuck up. Decided I would buy a car for sophomore year of uni.

I've read the sticky but it really all new to me. I never drove anything really that old and I'm not sure I'd be able to take care of it or handle the lack of features. My family's current car is an audi q7 so honestly anything I buy will be a step down.

Should I follow in the footsteps of all the people around me and just lease something newer?

So when I changed the oil in my car for the first time, I didn't take it off of the ramps to check the level. So I ended up putting 6 quarts in instead of 5.7. Is my car fucked? Driven maybe 300 miles since then.

What kind of car you want?

She feels like I owe her an apology for asking.

Probably a sedan (any kind) would be best I think. I like coupes/sporty stuff but realistically I think that is a bad choice for my own first car.

So basically anything but a truck/SUV.

Get a Honda. It's not very powerful, but it's cheap, reliable, and safe.

buy a civic and stfu
>leasing anything ever
so rich people don't understand equity then?

you'll probably be fine, especially if you changed the filter
>dry filter takes about 1/3 to 1/2 a quart to saturate

So let's say a budget of 5-7k and sensible sedan.

What are you looking for besides reliability and fun? Good mpg? RWD? Give all the details.

I really don't know the details because I have no clue what I want, but the roads are shit here and it snows hard. That's probably pretty important. RWD and a low suspension would be a bad idea then, right? I'm a car babby.

Do you recommend anything other than a civic?

Yeah it seems like the commonsense choice. I just thought there would be a bit more options.

Well, especially in nasty winter conditions, you want a cheap car that you can damage without costing too much money. It's called a winter beater, and you'll want something cheap and reliable, like an Accord or Civic that can handle the snow and salt.

>Truck question?
This should be changed, or at least clarified, in the OP. The truckerfag thread is all commercial truck / tractor-trailer rig discussion, no one there knows or cares to know jack shit about pickups or SUV's. People who get sent to that thread with light or medium-duty truck questions typically don't receive meaningful help.

There are semi-regular pickup/4x4/off-road general threads that might be a better fit for citation in the OP.

How can Russians afford pretty expensive cars ? I'm Watching "Stop a Douchebag" .

Luk is a oem brand usually for Euro cars, I've never heard of anyone having problems with them in their BMWs.

Did you also do the pilot bearing by chance? I would replace the disc with something else.

Here's what you should do, drop the tank, drain it, clean it out with nothing that could damage the inner lining of the tank, remove the fuel filter and possibly all the way up to the fuel pressure regular. Honestly oil is way to thick to be pumped to the engine with the fuel pump, it would fuel starve before oil got to the injectors. Anyways, to be thorough, get a rubber bulb and push gas through the lines backwards (gravity assist) to clean them all out. You'll need a new fuel pump probably and MAYBE a new fuel filter depending on if the car was run at all. Just give your wife a hug, she tried. Failed miserably, but probably didn't do anything that would be costly in repairs.

You'll have to drain the tank.

Which may or may not require you dropping it out of the car.

If you can't do that, then youll need it towed to a shop, I would not run it, it will kill your cat if not your injectors and fuelpump.

Its not body on frame and doesn't have the "its a jeep cherokee" exclusion, so no its a crossover.

Drugs, prostitution, and a whole host of other illegal or frowned upon business ventures.

Yeah, I replaced everything I could while the tranny was off because god forbid if I have to take it off again, jokes on me I guess. I'm at work and can't post pictures of everything else, but here's a pic of the disk again so everyone else can see my fuck up. Thank god for warrantys.

if you replaced everything I wouldn't call it your fuck up.

Buick Lesabre is a good choice if you want something a bit bigger than a civic. Granny cars are worthless used (since grannies don't buy used) so you can pick up a 10+yo car with 30k miles for jack shit. Even gets breddy gud highway milage for a yatch.

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as the rest of these people. Probably because I've driven shittier cars.

One quart of oil diluted in an entire tank of gas won't be concentrated enough to hurt anything. Many high-mileage cars with poor ring seal burn that much oil just in regular operation. And diluted as it is by the gas, unless it's laying all by itself in the bottom of an empty tank, it shouldn't be thick enough to "gum up" anything on it's way to the engine.

If the tank is empty / near empty, you got trubs.

but otherwise, it might smoke a little for the next tank of gas or two. It could exacerbate any spark plug or O2 sensor fouling problems that you already have, but shouldn't be significant enough to give you a problem if you don't have one already.

disconnect fuel line and run the pump

>I have a budget of 5,000-7,000$ish
>I want to get something reliable/safe and fun that is easy for a beginner to not fuck up. Decided I would buy a car for sophomore year of uni.
>I've read the sticky but it really all new to me. I never drove anything really that old and I'm not sure I'd be able to take care of it or handle the lack of features. My family's current car is an audi q7 so honestly anything I buy will be a step down.

Lots of under-100k-mile late-model used cars in that price range. The best prices / newest models / lowest mileage you will find in that price range will tend to be commuter-centric compacts - Focuses, corollas, civics, Accents, etc.. as a college sophomore, you should probably be shopping by tape-measure... what fits in your parking space and how much of your shit can you cram into your car. I found hatchbacks to be very useful when I was younger, but they demand a price premium.

Big midsize FWD family sedans aren't much more expensive used than compacts. If you think you might carpool cross-country on a regular basis or just want the extra room, you might look at Camrys, Accords, the whole array of GM midsizers, etc. However, midsize cars, as a rule, tend to suffer from transmission issues in old age. They also and tend to have V6 engines that barely fit under the hood, leading to clearance issues and maintenance pains like removing intake manifolds to change spark plugs. If you go the midsize route, 4-cylinder cars tend to not destroy their own transmissions as quickly, and are easier to work on/around. If you can find a 4-banger with a stickshift, even better. Stickshift accords of all generations are actually considered decently fun to drive.

If you want more car, more power, more driving fun, early-2000's BMW 3-series are in your price range, albeit at 100k+ miles. A base model with a stickshift doesn't have all that much to break on it, but doesn't come close to the reliability of, say, a Corolla.

Anybody here have any experience with Ford Focus's? I'm thinking about buying one as my second car just as a run-around. Possibly a 2006-2007 model.

Really what I want to know is if they are fast and if they can be easily modded with some nicer interior features.

The focus's while being a decent DD, aren't designed to be fast. It's just Ford's version of a civic. I've heard that the engine is difficult to work on, but if you can find one in good condition for a low enough price, it should be fine to run around in. If you're looking for a sporty run around car, I'd go with a WRX or something similar. My neighbor uses a 2002 focus as a run around car when he's not using his giant pickup and he's quite happy with it. As for the interior, look for one with a clean black interior and you can always get an aftermarket radio and a decent window tint shouldn't be more than 200$. That should satisfy your nice interior features.

What's the best vape to bring to a car meet?

Ask /g/ :^)

Wouldn't they be mixed poorly being different viscosities?

This is an excellent post regarding your needs OP

Does running a stroker kit normally cause engine issues? I always wonder if increasing displacement has adverse affects on engine reliability.

You tune air/fuel mixtures accordingly

Also as far as reliability goes, it all depends on how well the engine was built, how much power it makes and how hard it's run

Thanks for the advice, WRX's are really expensive for some reason second-hand in the UK so I am probably going to just stick to the Focus.

wrx's are overpriced used everywhere. Its the meme tax

Bought an 07 Mazda hatch manual how bad did i fuck up with the FWD meme?

>Buick Lesabre

What are some other good options (preferably luxury, but plain ol' land barge with front bench seats is good too) for used cars driven by seniors?

Mercury Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Car? Lexus LS? Did Oldsmobile ever make anything good?

What is the best site for in-depth reviews and comparisons of common cars? I'd like to see professional-grade in-depth reviews, preferably with customer reviews as a section you can browse.

A lot of these review sites seem like they could easily be getting paid off for some reviews. I'm wondering what is known trusted.

Bonus points for a comparison feature but it's not a big deal, I could just split-screen browser tabs.

How much will a bike up my insurance premium? I currently pay $50/month on a 1991 civic si but am planning on selling it for a bike.

Is your current insurance payment for third party or comprehensive? Whenever I hear about the insurance costs in the USA it always make me jealous since in the UK it's so fucking expensive.

>50 dollars a month insurance

Literally fucking nothing i would give a guy weekly blowjobs to get that rate here in Canada. I pay 202 dollars a month for a 07 Mazda 3. I got an amazing deal on my insurance and any other company i would be paying 300-400 dollars a month insurance and that is normal here. It's fucking insane.

>I currently pay $50/month on a 1991 civic si
50 a month on a 1991 Civic? I thought I was king shit for $50/month on a 2003 Cavalier and I'm only 20.

It's third party insurance. On top of that I have a prior accident and am only 20. It's pretty barebones though...

Yeah, it's ok... It was $150 earlier in the year so I'm glad it went down so much.

why do people cover their license plates in CL posts?

20 yo here, I pay roughly 13 euros (14.50 usd) per month for my 2004 BMW 5 series and about 14 euros per month for my 2003 7 series
feels gud

I am guessing some eastern euro country my friend?

northern europe, Latvia
and yeah the minimum wage here is 360 euros or like 402 usd per month sadly

But you get tons of cheap e36s and shit, here everything is expensive as shit. I watch a Lithuanian drifting channel on youtube, norbefilms. The baltics look dank asf.

Damn, if you don't mind, how much did your beemer cost you?

yeah e36s are literally like miatas here, everything is cheap as fuck about them (but sometimes they try to sell "clean" e36s for a fortune) and they make pretty good daily drivers as well.
i've owned 3 e36s, planning on buying another one
the 7er was 6k eur, the 5er was a p/x - swapped for my 2004 W211 benz and paid 3k euros

this

>t. manual 4 cyl camry owner

How do I get a straight pipe to pass emissions.

I'm going to go look at a mercedes 190e on friday, the ad states 6cyl, so I thought it must be the 2.6, but the ad also states it's 1986, which as far as I've been able to tell was before the I6 was available. I'm also pretty sure the I6 has a different firewall than the I4, so a swap seems unlikely.

Is there any way this guy is telling the truth, or is one of those two numbers wrong?

Thanks for pointing it out. Will surely consider making changes in the next QTDDTOT. :)

There's one episode where one lady says "I sucked a dick for this car." So that explains well.

Answer please

When I accelerate, I can hear fuel being pumped into the engine like a "ssssssssssssss" sound. Is there any way I can fix this? How do you clean your fuel injectors?

Also, what all is involved in a tune up? How often should it be done?

My car is a '99 ram with 67k miles on it.

Thanks!

big debit and illegal side trade

That noise is a vacuum leak

First gen slk 230k or miata? They're about same price range here

raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5688200731.html

Is this a good buy?

First you have to stop sucking dick, you faggot.

It's probably air you're hearing. Whether it is a vacuum leak or not is debatable.
Check if you have leaks anyways.

2.6 came in 1987. Could be late enough in the year to be a 1987, but registered as a 1986.
My W210 got registered as a 2000 (which would mean facelift), but it's actually a 1999 (pre-facelift).

What car is this?

Depends on the bike and what coverage you get, comprehensive will be more than that legal minimum will probably be less than that

Cause muh privacy rights

jalopnik.com/here-s-what-the-joker-s-car-in-suicide-squad-really-is-1770295510

Same firewall, different front clip. Swaps are uncommon. A valver is a better swap for a 4cyl as it's a much better engine than the 6 cyl

Haggle him down to a grand

if you stroke it too much you'll have a poor rod angle and put awkward stress on the rods

My volvo (b320) leaked a lot of coolant into the oil, causing the level to be over an inch over the norm. More coolant leaked in when the car was sitting, not being run. A check engine light went on right before discovery of this, but im hoping that is just a popped thermostat.

Headgasket or can it be something else?

Whoops b230 I mean

Russians love to hustle and make money

You have to ask if you're able to enjoy your car or not? You're not going to enjoy your car until Veeky Forums authorizes you to enjoy it?

It's Likey the head gasket, a leak down test or block checker would confirm it

What's thee difference between VTEC and VVT

Should I feel when "VVT kicks in yo"

what does

t.

mean?

Someone here has argued that VTEC isn't vvt, whether you feel it or not depends on the mapping of the vvt is.

On my e39 with vanos you can definitely feel it pick up around 3500.

the Finnish word for something like greetings begins with t.
It's a Ylilauta meme