LAW

Hey, Veeky Forums; what are some good/classic books on law and Jurisprudence?

Also, what are the fundamentals of Law and Justice? What makes Law obligatory?

Law is obligatory because the policemen will catch you if you don't obey.

There are different fundamentals to law.

Justice by michael sandel is a pretty good starter pack.

Are you familiar with Miguel Reale's works? He's the only one so far who's been able to tell clearly what law really is. You might want to check it out.

read some cicero

Eh I just read textbooks, mostly business law. What am I missing out on?

Literally just look at the chart.

How does that help me at all? I already know about what laws exist from several classes, and have read a bunch of briefs/cases. What good is your philosophical mumbo-jumbo?

Are you OP?

If so you're stupid

Tax lawyer here, philosophy forms the bare bones of Law. It's just that many law students completely disregard this aspect of law and see it more as HURRR HARVEY SPECTER IS THE SHIT. No offense though, because that too is a way to look at law (by handling it in a very practical way), but you will definitely miss the absolute core aspects of law of you ignore it too much

>how does getting a grasp on the underlying bedrock of the law help me understand it

>business law

DUDE SUITS LMAO

international law student here, I'm a retard who hates making money but at least Im a principled one

Judge Dredd is pretty good.

"On crimes and Punishments"

by Cesare Beccaria(15 March 1738 – 28 November 1794)

>international law student

>What makes Law obligatory?

Self interest. The natural state of "the war of all against all" is not pleasant, in order to save yourself from it you must abrogate both the right to use violence and the duty to obey those who have that right.

you laugh now...

Good luck with your international law practice once you graduate from your 175th ranked law school. I hope you didn't borrow too much money.

not even the same guy

just figure out how to lie

>getting eyeballs deep in debt over a piece of toilet paper

we're not all murricans here m8

I study law and I would recommend the works of Dicey. He mostly wrote about sovereignty and constitutionalism but those areas have the more interesting concepts anyway. The name of his book escapes me, but look him up and you will be sure to find it.

Dworkin
Kymlicka
Fuller

Frederick Bastiat's The Law is pretty aximiomatic.

>natural state of "the war of all against all"
What kind of fiction have you been reading?

Socrates & Legal Obligations is a really good read. 9/10

>Dworkin

Justinians digests?

I think OP meant more in a romantic or philosophical sense, not practical.

Not that classic.

Philosophy and legal theory is only an accessory to legal history. Law is an immensely practical discipline. When laws are created they are created to solve practical problems. Sometimes the lawmakers wish to write philosophical principles into law, but usually they don't.

I find it is better to read legal history because legal history contextualizes the problems in legal practice which are the context for new laws. Where philosophy matters you find explicit references in legal history to the ideas that matter.

I've read Dicey and Denning's various ramblings, but that's my limit. I don't read anything other than a statute book or policy unless I have to in order to understand my work, and that's very rare. Each to their own, though. I'm not going to question how someone else improves their knowledge and understanding.

Well, I suppose I've read Hobbes, but that was casual reading.

>but at least Im a principled one
You're not principled, you're just a fool. If you ever have cold feet about taking work, just think "Someone else would do this for much cheaper." If you're squeamish about some areas, your table isn't going to have bread for long.

>You're not principled, you're just a fool

it is an ironic joke m8

Bastiat is a shill for libertarianism m8. Which doesn't mean he his worthless but he sure likes to remind you about his ideology a lot.

Han Fei Zi

Sure a lawyer doesn't need to know much about legal history to do well at practice, but if one wants to justify or criticize the law as it is legal history provides better insight than theory and the study of law as it is. I'm a legal hobbyist, not a lawyer by profession or training.

This tbqh
Also, blackstone's commentaries if you want to read abt. Trial by Combat in english law

>I'm a legal hobbyist
OP, here. I like you. What would you recommend?