Does anyone else get scared of getting under a car on jack stands? It freaks me out every time

Does anyone else get scared of getting under a car on jack stands? It freaks me out every time

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/dealership-wheel-theft-turns-deadly-ohio/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Rich_(comics)
books.google.com/books?id=SScDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA200
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

oh look this thread againsage

Yep. I push and shove the car every which way to make sure it's stable before going under. Even if it doesn't jiggle a tiny bit I still feel like I'm living on borrowed time every moment I'm beneath the car.

No. I look forward to it and hope it will crush me.

yes, i do. i also think it might fuck up my car. like it might put a dent in the frame. using a lift is so much easier too bad my ripping people off days are over. kinda glad it is because working as a mechanic sucks when you are a rookie. you are only taught how to lie but not fix cars

I don't because whenever I lift a car I grab the fender and try as hard as I can to knock the car off. If I can't make it fall, it won't.
>protip: put an unused rim under the pinch weld of the side thats lifted as added insurance if it does fall.

>he thinks a lift is safer than jacks

stop watching Final Destination, the you'll stop being scared

Yeah, but after it was up there for two weeks without falling I got over it.

I'm OCD about this shit, add some 2x4s under there too and jam wheel chocks aswell if youre on an incline.

If you hear a sort of "dragging against the pavement" sound, get the fuck out of there.

>Tfw jack the car up on incline as quick as I can because I need to piss and my hands are dirty
>Take off wheel and stick it under the frame
>Hear a sort "dragging sound"
>Jack falls sideways and car falls on wheel

Lesson learned, never EVER rush this shit and check that the jack is secured, chock every wheel thats on the ground if you're on an incline and stick every tire under the rail for this reason.

My uncle had a car fall on him once and got lucky, so I'm always extra careful.
Wheel goes by where I am so the car has something that's not me to land on, other wheels stay on if possible, and I tend to use ramps if I can because I trust them more

No because the jack stands I use were not purchased from harbor freight tools

Jacking up a car on an incline
Yeh nah

>Because brands determine how gravity and physics affect a car on jack stands

I only chocked 1 fucking wheel and didn't even check to see if the jack was stable but if you follow the steps correctly and you're super careful, It can be done. I once did it with the nose uphill as high as I could with 2 jackstands on the front and wheel chocks on the rear wheels when I had to bleed my coolant.

This.

>what is build quality

>implying build quality will save you from your own retardation

Also compare snap on tools to shitty Chinese counterparts and then try to tell me that brands don't matter

>i don't mind getting under a car with shoddy stand made with cheese grade steel

That's what extra wheels are for, just put them on the sides of the car so that if it collapses it won't drop all the way

>Also compare snap on tools to shitty Chinese counterparts and then try to tell me that brands don't matter

or Matco, Mac, Corwell, S&K, Armstrong, Proto, Wera, Hazet, Facom...

Honestly, as long as it isn't from China or India, chances are it'll be decent quality.

always nice to have a vehicle with enough room to wriggle underneath without jacking it up

> Not just putting the car on wood blocks

what car, tripfag.

Just take tension off the jack but keep it locked if you want something extra.

>mfw go to work on my car in the dirt because lolnoconcrete
>turns out its mud and shit starts sinking

NOPE

S12 Silvia.

Its sexy and i wanna fuck it.

it's like getting on a plane. It's engineered to above the load rating, but there's always a chance it might fuck up and kill you.

Personally If I was that worried about it, i'd pack it out with wood blocks on the corners, even then you can't be safe. It fuck's with your fight or flight having a massive weight above you.

Just don't buy cheap ass shit. I've seen transit van fall off 2 post ramps.

You increase your risk of death with every penny you save on chingchngwang stuff.

Thanks. If you have a ZZW30, I'll trade ya?

I didn't mention build quality, now did I retards?

Yes build quality is completely different than the vehicle falling off the jackstand.

I didn't feel I had to fucking type out the difference in my first post, but since you guys are so avidly stupid, I suppose I have to anyway.

their point is that different brands have better or worse build quality. Were you always this stupid and dense or did it take practice?

I get that, but it doesn't have anything to do with my original post. Are you stupid and dense or can you just not read?

>swapping out tire
>nuts off
>driveway on the SLIGHTEST of grades
>car rolls slightly and falls off jack
car could have landed on my leg if the tire was off. I use chocks now seems to solve the issue

>be me
>walking with my girl outside her apartment
>see dude working on his breaks or some shit
>his jeep wrangler is up on the tire change jack
>his front passenger side wheel is off and leaning against the sidewalk
>he's sitting indian style with his legs under the hub
>remark to her after we pass that the guy is dumb
>"why, user?"
>"because if anything happens and his jack slips, that guy's gonna lose his legs."
>"oh. should we go say something to him?"
>"no. he's a man. if some stranger came and told me how to work on my car I would be pissed as fuck."
>parking lot is right next to train tracks
>hear train coming
>feel the vibrations through the ground just walking
>stop and turn around. watch the jeep from afar
>doesn't seem to move
>train passes
>we go on our way

So much tension in this story.

ill trade you a FWD

creation and relief of suspense makes a story good.

I leave my hydraulic jack under whatever side I'm going in from (without load on it, but pumped up to same height).

ebin trolling tripfriend!!

christ

decent b8, almost miffed me

I have never owned jackstands, I've always put it off because I have a plethora of jacks I've accumulated. I just chalk any wheel that touches the ground, put spare tires under the wheels that are off the ground, and put a second jack next to any that are under load. Anything to avoid actually being smart basically. Has worked fine for me so far

Of course, our mind runs wild when we are putting ourselves at risk.

This is why I use some sort of 'emergency pillar' to hold the car up if some shit happens. It could be anything, as long as it is sturdy.

But if you are truly scared, just jack that shit up with 20 jacks.

Hey at least True China, Taiwan is all right by me.

>not working on your car on an uneven loose surface
it's like you care about your life.

I work on my car on gravel, even kicking bolts loose on my back

I just make sure it's solid with a couple of shoves and try flatten the ground as best I can, you get used to it after a while of being under

I have a set of race ramps I generally use, unless I really need the wheels to be free. RallyRamps are awesome because they're small but give you enough clearance for most basic jobs.

Who's got the picture of that stance faggot with his shitbox supported by a jack and then the story of him getting crushed by it?

>the jack stands I use were not purchased from harbor freight tools

In a recent news story of a cheap jack,
Opportunistic thieves are making off with high-end wheels from dealer lots more than ever, but one Ohio man’s nighttime excursion at a General Motors dealer just cost him his life. He used a cheap jack.

Employees at Ron Marhofer Buick GMC opened their Canton, Ohio dealership per usual on Saturday morning, not knowing that a 43-year-old man lay dead under one of their Yukons. According to the Canton Repository, the man, identified as Richard E. Ritch, was killed as he attempted to remove the first of the Yukon’s wheels at some point the previous night. The county coroner’s office claims the SUV fell off the jack and impacted his head, crushing him.

In a gruesome twist, the dealership was open for hours before the man’s body was discovered at about noon. Sales manager Kyle Green said a sales associate only noticed the body when a vehicle blocking their view of the man drove away. While the grisly discovery was “obviously shocking,” according to Green, the dealership stayed open and sales continued. The service department checked over the Yukon for damage. Likely, the new owner won’t have a clue of the vehicle’s brief, but shocking, history.

This attempted theft looks like a one-man crime of opportunity, but other dealers face organized teams of wheel snatchers. Stolen wheels are usually offered for half price on the black market.

thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/dealership-wheel-theft-turns-deadly-ohio/

No, what's scary is crawling under a car to manually shift it because the linkage broke and your brother both won't listen to you saying you can fix it for basically free and both won't crawl under his own car to shift it so you have to trust the parking break to hold as it lunges forward and you finally understand how people manage to run themselves over

Good riddance.

>working on a car that's parked on a incline
>car falls off jacks
Sounds like your own doing.

>16 at the time
>watching buddy work on his car (Ford Galaxy 500)
>has it up on jack
>older neighborhood guy walks by
>"hey user. you probably want to put supports under the car instead of the jack"
>friend thinks it's a good idea
>puts stands under the car
>lowers jack
>stand punches hole through floorboard
>doh

>Does anyone else get scared of getting under a car on jack stands? It freaks me out every time

You will make two sturdy blocks to serve as emergency supports if the car falls. Everyone should feel psychologically secure with these blocks because the strength of short pieces of 2x4 is well known and palpable if you touch it.

ITEMS:
Four 2x4 lumber in standard 10-foot lengths
Box of 16penny spiral shank deck nails
Nine 10 penny nails
Power drill with bit having diameter less than nail
Hammer
Handsaw

2x4 lumber typically comes in 10-foot lengths. Saw four of the 10-foot lumber into one-foot long pieces. Lay 3 pieces in parallel with about 2 inches separation between each piece. Now lay another 3 pieces crosswise across the top of those 3 pieces. Move the pieces around so they are evenly spaced. Drill one hole wherever each piece crosses over another piece of lumber; that should be nine holes. Hammer 10penny nails into holes. The bit should be much smaller than the nails for a tight fit. You drill holes to prevent wood splitting under impact load of a car dropping on it. This is your base. Lay another 3 pieces crosswise and rrepeat.

Since everyone's car and personal body has different heights, make the final height of the constructed piece as high as needed to keep you from being squashed. I like spiral shanks, but you can use regular construction nails instead. 10penny for the bottom layer so that nails don't poke out the bottom. 16penny is just long enough to poke into the next lumber to prevent sideways movement. Drill holes offset to the side from the bottom nail by at least an inch.

>jack stand
i just get a few bricks and drive on it.
enough space to change the oil.

These blocks do not waste space. When not using them as emergency blocks, you can sit on them or stand on them as they are sturdy. When storing them, put them on top of each other so that the holes line up. Now you can put your sweeping broom, push broom, rake, hoe, and other tool handles into the holes and stand them up on end. Conveniently keeps your stuff out of the way.

When choosing where to drill the holes, keep in mind the location of nails underneath. Nailed wood is stronger when the nails are not all in the same spot. So you will be choosing spots not in the perfect center of each junction. each time you drill a hole for the nails.

I make each wood block easy to carry by using a length of polyethylene rope as a handle. To prevent the rope from digging into my hands, I have a length of pvc pipe over a section of the rope.

... Or go to your nearest Costco, Home Depot, etc, and ask for some wooden pallets for free, then break them down after you're done and make harpoons to skewer the natives with.

>not lifting your car by using four jacks and pumping them one at a time
It's almost a cripple lift!

Or you know, just get some 4x4s instead and save the hassle

Why is no one using these as fail safe?

This, I now just use an old jack.

Why did he have his fucking head under the car if he was trying to take the wheel off?

It's so hard finding those OG 92's for a decent price and decent specs that aren't for Hondas/Miatas.

Do you prefer the USDM front bumper or are you searching for a JDM one?

That's an ae86, not an s12 lol..

S12's are the 86's retarded cousin

I use a 2 post lift, least if it fails it would be a quick kill.

>Why did he have his fucking head under the car if he was trying to take the wheel off?

He's in the dealer lot stealing parts. So he cannot risk being seen by guards or police driving by looking at the spaces between the cars. Thus he cannot be in the space between cars. The only other space that exists is to be underneath the car while he works on them. Unfortunately for the thief, he tugged on something just enough to fall off the cheap jack. Since he carried the jack in a backpack, it was a scissor jack. The scissor jack has a small footprint, so there is not much sideways stability. That means side to side motions of the car can cause the car to fall off the jack despite having the parking brake on.

He definitely needed the failsafe blocks of and

Too heavy
Too big
Too inconvenient

>Richard E. Ritch

>Rich E. Ritch

That's rich.

Multiple news agencies including their local TV news station and their coronor stated the name was Richard E. Ritch. It's truly an ironic name. If it was april 1st, the story could have been accused as being false due to the name, but that really is the suspect's name. Since he was not convicted of a crime (due to being dead) all we can legally say is he was suspected ot stealing wheels. All four wheels were already loosened on that Yukon. One wheel was already off at the time the Yukon fell on Richie Rich.

Richard Rich:
www.forbes.com/lists/fictional15/2011/profile/richie-rich.html

Richard Rich:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Rich_(comics)

Sometimes, the old ways are the best...

sexy

This makes a disturbing amount of sense, actually, I can't believe I never thought of it.

Where is this from anyway?

since the car hasn't been sold yet, it is not registered and hasn't technically been in any accidents yet right? This incident wouldn't appear at all on the vehicle's history correct?

>Have old xj stuck down the back.
>Almost impossible to tow out so it really had to move under its own power
>front axle bent and no 4wd broken transfer case
>???
i was thinking if just going down there and going to town on it anyway since its only 1km from the house but still.

Fucken stuck i need a 4wd jack or something

yeah why use jackstands when you can lug around big, heavy sandbags. You can also BUY ramps like this, but I know you guys are NEETs who use up all your autismbux on miata mods so this might be good for y'all

>reverse image search on google
>best guess for this image
>bear with chainsaw hands

Neat.

>don't use heavy duty sandbags literally designed to withstand compression that are typically freely available, SPEND your $MONEY$ on large specialty plastic ramps instead, good goy!

>"they were literally designed for this, this is not a metaphor guys!!!"
>using le jew meme on products that you are too cheap to buy
>reddit image
the worst kind of poster

>burlap sacks are designed to withstand the weight of a car
That's rich.

Yeah, I get what you mean, I use roll-on ramps with metal chocks for my rear tires, and a pair of 3000 lb jack stands up-front, I know it's pretty fucking secure, but I still get nervous about those Chinesium jack stands from wallmart, no matter their weight rating. Probably should invest in something better from Harbor Freight.

>designed to resist floodwaters
>b-but not a car!
>it's literally just packed earth

No child left behind, eh?

Hey man, do whatever you want. But I'm gonna keep using my ramps and jack stands so I don't feel like an aspy cheapskate.
>also implying you work on your own car

sandbags weren't DESIGNED to be used as a replacement for car ramps dumbass

my car weights 800kg and I use quality 2 tonnes jacks so no, not really.

I do this. They generally won't budge, and unless it's a shitty sandbag, it won't burst.

July 1940 edition of Popular Science

books.google.com/books?id=SScDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA200

I really see no reason why this wouldn't work, it's intrinsically safer than jack stands by supporting the wheels and spreading the weight out through a larger area. I see makeshift speedbumps and people smoothing out their driveway entry with sandbags all the time. The only real concern is the bag fabric, but that's not a real big issue with woven synthetic bags.

Except the majority of time my car is up I need the wheels off. You won't sell me on the sand bags when I already have ramps and Jack stands.

>since the car hasn't been sold yet, it is not registered and hasn't technically been in any accidents yet right?

Stuff that the dealer enters into carfax, alldata, etcetera, will appear. But in this case, the dealer will probably do a cover up and deliberately not enter it out of greed to sell the car. The car was involved in an accidental death. It did have theft attempts. Both those should be entered since the insurance company does make use of theft info as you well know.

But since it is wholly in the hands of the dealership, they will do a cover up and not allow anyone to even know which VIN is the guilty one that killed someone.

My Yukon is a Lemon! The wheels keep falling off.

That's not covered under 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. You must pay for it.

But the car also makes strange moaning noises.

Sorry, we don't hear any ghost, errrr, I mean any strange car sounds.

The sand bags may be ok provided you use new bags all the time. In those times strong bags were plentifull but not now.

who this semen demen

As long as you put the stands in the right spots it is completely safe

Go full meme with jacks AND sandbags!

I put my car on ramps if I can and chock the wheels. I usually feel extremely safe like that and there's tons of room. I am a bit weary about getting underneath a car with jackstands, but as long as it's on a secure spot on the frame and not the suspension I feel pretty alright. If I can, I put one of my wheels underneath the car too.

Nah, I'm okay with the USDM ones, everyone else has JDM ones.

Right now, I'm saving up to have the rust under the rear quarters eliminated and properly patched up.

It terrifies me if I have to use more than one arm to loosen/tighten anything while I'm under there.

I realize it's very safe if properly supported, but still feel much more comfortable using my ranks and chocks, if I can.

Used to work at a little shop and saw a car drop on a guy just using a hydraulic jack without stands, so I'll certainly never make that mistake.

until someone or you accidentally kick the hinge