Whoops that was bald. Car shenanigans / neglect / bad repairs thread

Whoops that was bald. Car shenanigans / neglect / bad repairs thread

Left a wad of rags in my intake once.

Shit that sucks. Already had it all back together? The front end bushings on my car are gone. So alignment sux

>Aftermarket header heat shield burned a hole in the OEM air intake tube
>Once forgot to reconnect MAF sensor after changing filter
>Once forgot to tighten a couple insignificant bolts and clamp a couple radiator hoses, spilling some coolant
>Drove on collapsed shocks for several months without realizing it changed my camber so now I need new tires because the inside ends of my tires are bald and showing some wire
Meh, that's as far as I've fucked up so far.

>Rebuilding front end
>Half in the bag, I've been drinking all night tearing it apart
>Drunken thoughts and I start putting it back together
>Set torque wrench for idler arms and begin wrenching
>Move onto the tie rods and start wrenching
>Something doesn't feel right, these shouldn't take this much effort to torque
>Realize I had it set for 110
>Drop down to 32.. No click
>40.. 50.. 55..
>63 is where I stopped before catching my mistake
>Cotter pin in and set

They'll probably wear out early but so far I've put 12k on them and they're okay.

no that's the day you downloaded snapchat

seems legit.

Installed an electric waterpump, it was rubbing on my fan shroud and getting my 2nd fan caught on the actual pump.

So at one point I just unplugged that fan. Then I realized my radiator/fan shroud assembly was sagging forward into the waterpump. So I used zipties to prop it up forward.

It just werks.

>first car
>burned oil like a motherfucker
>no one told me you had to check that shit
>driving to work one day
>weird noise from engine
>car stops in at a red light
>wont turn back on
>have it towed to mechanic
>engines fucked
>how much is that gonna be doc
>3 to 4k
>have to replace engine or buy new car
And thats how my I got into fixing my own car.

Looks good bubba

>replacing clutch master and slave in e30
>replaced hose from reservoir to clutch master also, so no fluid in reservoir
>loosely connect hoses under car
>forget about it
>start filling reservoir with brake fluid
>get under car to check for leaks
>brake fluid starts splashing in my face

nice 4th gen LT1 fbody

>'99 LS1 T/A here

This is the armature from the vacuum motor from the steam cleaner we have at the shop. Bearing shit the bed so instead of paying $140 CDN for new one we tore it apart I got 2 new bearings from an alternator rebuilder and tested it. Not with a growler of course just an extra battery and test light. I put it back together and it's good as newv even better

>And thats how my I got into fixing my own car.
Every poorfag I know can wrench.

Odd.

>the ever-present browning decal on the back windshield

But seriously though, that truck is absolute garbage.

>replace axle in my integra
>forget to completely tighten castle nut on ball joint.
>Drive for a year
>sell car to co workers cousin for cheap because she needs a car to haul around kid.
>find out later she was driving through a parking lot and went over a speed bump and the ball joint disconnected and snapped the axle when the hub fell.
Apparently the cotter pin weaseled it's way out and the castle nut unscrewed it self. I felt like absolute shit because she had her kid in the car too. It happened 2 weeks after she bought it.

>the cotter pin for my upper ball joint is still in the baggy it came in
I just noticed it about an hour ago. I misplaced it during installation so I planned on buying a new one.

It has been this way for awhile now. Going to put it in later on tonight.

>Used wrong socket on torque converter nuts
>Hammered on correct size, completely rounded off nut
>Spent an afternoon like a blacksmith chiseling off bolts

>mfw

Meh, when you can't afford things you develop skills to seek out alternatives. In this case, if you can't afford repair work you do it yourself. I've honestly learned most things in life that way, trial by fire tends to be the quickest way to learn a lot of shit.

Once I got to college, my more well off friends were astounded that I did all the work on my truck, had tools, was pretty decent at a lot of "skilled" tasks, and other stuff many would consider basic shit.

Not saying all poorfags have a propensity to pick up life skills easily or that people from wealthy families are helpless, that was just my experience and it might explain your phenomenon.

Us poorfags can't afford the luxury of having someone else work on our shitboxes for us

Yeah that pin is like extra security

Jesus Christ what the fuck

there is a huge oil leak from my auto trans, minor from PS hose. weirdly enough it only leaks atf when I let it sit for 2-3 days. daily driven I only get a the drip from PS fluid.

I also have a shitbike I have yet to take the carb out of to fix. I hate going outside when it's 100F+