Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums

So I'm fresh out of college and looking for my first car. I'm not gonna be making a whole lot of money right away so long term cost of ownership is a big deal as is gas mileage. I've got the trade in for my current car (2008 Jeep Liberty SE, 50k miles) plus about 2k to work with, which should come in somewhere just under 10k total (I think).

Looking for something that won't murder me with repair cost but still isn't just a box on wheels. I'm kinda intrigued by this kinda douchey 2007 VW Jetta GLI with 77k miles in the OP ($9,000), but there are some concerns about going with a VW because of high cost of replacement parts if/when shit goes wrong. I know the sticky has some suggestions, but with double the budget I figure I might get some better suggestions here.

TL;DR got $10k for a starter car that won't kill me on mileage or replacement parts.

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/terms/i/indexfund.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

having just spent a lot of time trying to find a fun car for around $10k that'll still be good for daily commute with decent gas mileage, you're shit out of luck. anything with any semblance of fun at that price is too high mileage to really but reliable for a dd or too thrashed by previous owners.

my suggestion is to try to make $15k-ish happen and go for the fiesta st.

That sucks, man.

it sort of does, on the plus side, the fiesta st is probably the most fun you can have a car at that price point that'll still get you 30mpg to and from work and won't leave you too worried about reliability for a good number of years.

chances are, with any decent job right of school that'll you get be able to finance the fist without too much trouble.

A GLI is not the way to go. They're frequently beaten on, and even then they are less reliable than the GTI. It is NOT the same engine/drivetrain, it's worse.
I found my Civic Si with 100k miles for $8k or so a couple years ago, but it had shit paint, otherwise it would have been 9+ I imagine. So an FG2 could be doable for you, depending on the area. I pull about 31 mpg highway, 26 city
A Miata is unironically a good option, but you can get a nicer one than most of Veeky Forums without a problem.
Various turbo Volvos from the 90s could be good.
Really, nicer, lower mile versions of the sticky won't do you wrong.
If you can find one, any of the H6 Subarus with a manual can be good fun, they actually made more power than the WRX for a while, and kids don't treat them like shit. Also no turbo lag.

why the fuck does it have to be new? what fucking year do you think this is?
used cars are no longer the junk piles they used to be

if you don't have the means to easily do your own repairs, then buying something high mileage feels like a liability

Where did OP say new? He even mentioned he was looking at a 9yo GLI.

Hmm... Have you considered letting ecoboost into your life?

Then buy low mileage
and high mileage does not indicate unreliablity

Fucking IDIOT

if you understand anything about engineering SN curves you'd think otherwise about that high mileage bit.

Nah. I won't.
Also stop ignoring the rest of my post. Fucking address all of it or address none of it.

OP, if I read this right, you want to take whatever you can get for trade on your Liberty + 2000$ and use that to get a new vehicle, and you are assuming the trade value of your liberty will put your total budget at 10K?

No, I don't need something new, (and I'm pretty sure I didn't say that anywhere so idk why someone in this thread is so heated). And yeah, Liberty appraised at somewhere hovering around 8, and I've got 2k in the bank to spend.

older low mileage cars are an option, but they're few and far between. also securing financing for older cars can be more difficult.

what i said about SN curves still applies to higher mileage cars.

you seem like a pretty smart guy though, i'm sure you know what you're talking about.

My best advice for you would be to open your budget up to about 15K, and plan on financing the additional 5 grand

Financing 5 grand at a competitive interest rate for 60 months puts your monthly payment right at 100 dollars. You can have a small car payment, build credit, but access to much wider/nicer inventory of cars.

If for whatever reason you absolutely don't want to finance anything, my best advice would be a mid-2000's G35. At your budget, they are going to have right around 100K, but you can find them in good condition with good service history, and you'd have a nice DD that also has some sporty characteristics

>financing
What the fuck is wrong with you

>build credit meme
wew

allows me to have a new car right out of school. not a far fetched idea when you consider engineering salaries.

Why does it have to be new

>anything I don't like is a meme

Building credit is an important part of being a financially responsible adult, and a small 5K car loan is a great way to do it

not OP so hope you're not confused.

reason i want a new car out of school is because i've spent a lot of time working and gong to school to get a hard as fuck degree. i've lived this delayed gratification shit for too long. getting a new car for under $400 a month when you're pulling in $5k a month after taxes isn't a huge deal. i want something new. make sense?

No it isn't . Fuck that shit. Insane

Sounds like you're spoiled. There's no reason to want a new car. How about save money and buy a car you like outright

sounds like you have no idea what my lifes been like. if i was saving up that kind of cash, it's going into an emergency fund or to maxing out my 401k contribution for the year..

Why would you want a new car that is more boring to drive? You're rewarding yourself with garbage?

you can't argue with somebody their preferences. to me, a fiesta st is a hugely fun can that's also really practical.

i think we're done here.

Oh woe is me. Shut the fuck up. You're this close to falling apart and you're not even in the real world yet. Wow

But you're not buying a Fiesta st you idiot

>Im poor but I want something fun for cheap

College was clearly a waste on you

not close to falling apart mate. got a solid internship at an engineering company right now and will graduate next year - couldn't be happier about almost being done with all this shit.
wut?

Want to get public utilities like water/power/gas? They check your credit

Want to get a cell phone plan? They check your credit

Want affordable insurance premiums? They check your credit, and having good credit gets you way cheaper rates

Ever want to buy a house? Going to need good credit

Loan to start your own business? Credit

take advantage of 0-APR credit cards to buy shot interest free, but fleece the points/miles/cash back off the card? Credit

Lots of Job where you will manage/control large amounts of money? Credit check

Duke power in NC will REFUSE power service to people will poor/no credit, so will PNC gas, and Durham water. Pretty much any major financial action you take as an adult will link to credit in some way. Taking steps to have good credit will never hurt you, while ignoring it/wrecking your credit can make your life miserable

You're not getting a Fiesta st though
Why do you have to be such an asshole

yeah, 2008 Jeep Liberty SE
I'm not expecting the world here, just trying to field some options that come close to that.

i will be getting one in the very near future though. i'm not the one calling what somebody likes garbage, or an idiot, or anything like that.

What's wrong with your current car?

First up no, gas powered jettas are all time bombs. Just get that out of your mind.

Secondly, your question is common and misguided, because 80% of cars can last indefinitely if they are maintained properly. Few cars are, and that's the problem. You have to find a car with a known maintenance history.

>cell phone plan
>in 20 mother fucking 16

Why would I want to start my own business or buy a house?
>implying someone who's anti credit wants to get a loan

You're just wrong here LPG

Keep your current shitbox. It's not good but it's passable. Get a credit card and use it to buy gas and for repairs when necessary. Pay it off every month. Set aside $250+ every month for your next car. In a couple years put down 10k on a 25-30k car. Have awesome credit and a nice car.

options for you...

Focus mk2 in good shape
Fiesta
Mazda 3
Civic (?)
I've got a manny mk2 focus and it gets just a hair under 40 mpg when I drive it conservatively, but when hooning it'll drop to low 30s. You can find an 06-09 for like $6k in good shape with under 100k miles.

Then why the hell did you start this thread asking for advice on a situation you don't have stakes in ?

he's really not though, and you didn't refute all of his very valid points.

What points

i'm not the OP, nor asking for advice.

It gets like 15 mpg and now that I'm actually gonna be the one paying for it that becomes a problem. It also just isn't that good of a car and I have a chance to get something else.
This is super helpful, thanks!

I got in an accident a few months ago (not car accident) but totally flipped my priorities
>sell car I had 3 years left on financing, use $$$ to buy fun-ish DD outright
>$2k left over for if something fucks up
>saving lots more emergency $$

feels better having breathing room, user.

So why the fuck are you responding and getting uppity about shit that doesn't apply to you Jesus christ man

Oh, also OP, G35 aside, you COULD pick up a decent 2 seater in your price range, just depends on how practical you need your DD to be

>does nothing to address the validity of any of my points

Also, since you don't want to buy a house, any not shit apartment complex will pull your credit as part of deciding if they want to rent to you

>utilities
>insurance premiums
>high profile job
yeah, most people on Veeky Forums will never have to deal with these problems because they never leave their mom's basement, but there are some that get a degree or start a business and making something of their lives. almost all of those cases require a good credit history.

keep in mind the Focus ST and Fiesta ST (fost and fist for short) are going to be badges up from the normal focus/fiesta, and are much higher due to hooning market demands. The lower badged ones aren't going to be terribly slow, think like 150-200hp at 3,000 lbs... but they're going to be much more cost efficient, and parts are dirt cheap. I'm biased towards the fords because I have one and I work on it.

Civics are civics, the ak47 of the car world, can't go wrong here, dunno how far you'll get with wanting a bit of pep in your drive though.

Mazda 3 I've personally never driven or ridden in, but I've heard various rave reviews of it, seems to be the last truly enjoyable jap ricebox to drive around.

I'd generally stay away from Euro cars in the US with what you're looking for, because Euro parts are just going to be too expensive for you to want to bother with on the regular. That means no Mercedes, VW, Volvo, BMW... They're a pain to repair.

but i'll be a very similar situation to OP in the coming months. i don't think there are great options at $10k, as i mentioned in the and you have people who said shit like which doesn't really seem consistent with the needs of the OP

If you buy german, I will have zero sympathy for you.

By a fucking Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or a Lincoln Towncar if you want a luxury car that won't fucking break.

>ignores how I refute his points

Then I'll live in a shit apartment, or out of a car. Fuck does it matter?

I could live my entire life in a one room apartment

If you get 15 mpg now and the new car for 10k gets 32, at 1000 miles a month and $2.00/gal for gas, it would take 141 months to break even. Keep your current car. It's not worth it.

hate to break it to you buddy, you didn't refute a single one of his points

Towncar's the cheapest, safest, and most durable option. Fuckit, buy one. Or a Crown Victoria. 2006 or newer. RELIABILITY SAFETY AND PRICE IS ALL THAT MATTERS

I refuted all of them you just don't want accept it

He did show he's a whiney child, though.

>"I COULD LIVE IN ONE ROOM THE REST OF MY LIFE, MOM!"

Hurr hurr hurr

the cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

How did I not refute the points

you literally refuted none of them, you are just babbling about how you personally won't use credit because you want to live in a one room apartment with no water or power or cell phone

to name one specifically, you didn't say a single thing about needing good credit for a high profile job

That doesn't make any sense . I don't want credit and I can live a lifestyle without it just fine. I I'm don't understand why someone living differently upsets you so much .
I would have a cell phone and would have utilities

if you go vw get a manual. run from automatic.

Then I won't work a high profile job. What's the big deal here?

refuting them would involve proving they are factually incorrect. you did not prove any of his points to be untrue, at best, you have whined a lot and talked about how a couple of them might not personally impact you because you want to live the life of a man child in a one room apartment

you can in fact be refused utility service for bad credit or no credit

credit does impact insurance rates

they do pull credit for lots of jobs

the fact that these things don't impact YOU do not make them untrue

you're free to not have credit. trying to convince other people that financing or building credit is retarded is where you fall flat. you have no ground to stand on.

Are you a fucking nigger? You need a good credit rating for future investments. LIKE A FUCKING LOAN FOR A HOUSE

Don't get that Jetta, yellow paint fades terribly especially when on plastic primers, that looks to have held up well so it's probably been garaged most days but a few years parked in the sun and the bumpers and mirror caps will be two shades lighter than the doors. Other than that it's a good choice.

the deal you keep screaming that lpg was wrong when he was not. if you don't want credit, that's perfectly fine, but everything he said is still true

Do you mean to tell me your parents paid for your gasoline all throughout college?

What?
I don't want loans I don't want a house .
I'll convince others who have similar mindsets on life . I recognize the life is not for everyone.
Then I won't have a high profile job.
And no, they don't refuse utilities , not here.
Then I'll deal with the insurance rates

What's the big deal here

He will have a good credit rating, if he is paying his phone, utility and rent. You don't need credit to build a credit rating as all three of those things are classed as such (unless its a pre pay phone). The you need to have had credit to get a good mortgage rate is marketing bullshit put out to get you to use credit. The only loan I have ever had is a student loan (not counted towards credit scores), I've never had a credit or store card and yet I have the highest available credit rating band for a mortgage application with my chosen lender so I have been offered the lowest rate. Don't fall for the you need credit to build credit trick.

>they'll shut off utilities
Do people really think that ? What's the logic
>hey man this guy has never missed a payment and doesn't use a lot
>oh wait he doesn't borrow money? Fuck that shut his power down and block the pipes

Paying a phone bill, rent, or utilities DOES NOT build credit.

They CHECK your credit for things like phone contracts, STARTING utilities, and or approving you to rent an apartment, but NONE of those things BUILD credit

Paying back money that was lent to you (loans, credit cards, mortgage) build credit.That's it, nothing else does.

And mortgage applications don't place you in a 'rating band' (I literally just bought a house within the last year), and if all you've ever had was student loans, the FICO scoring algorithm isn't going to put you any higher than a flat 700

They don't cut them off, but they WILL refuse you service when you go to turn it on for the first time. Duke Power will refuse people (or make you get a co-signer), I have watched it happen in real life

Sounds like duke power is shit and NC is shit then

Doesn't affect me. I don't care.
Fuck credit

It might not impact you personally, but doesn't change the fact that ton's of utility companies (I know AEP does as well) pull credit for service, and having shitty credit could prevent you from getting water/power/gas.

And you are more than welcome to neglect credit, I'm not here to restructure your life user. I personally enjoy gaming the system for cheap rates and free money. It might not personally ever impact you based on the way you live your life, but having good credit, and the responsible use of credit, affords people many, many positive benefits

That makes no sense.
NEXT

>being so brainwashed he thinks he's gaming the system
As soon as you play you lose.

what about it makes no sense?

>it might no impact you
>credit however does impact tons of people
>having good credit lets you game the system to your benefit

It's easy to game the system

I have a credit card with my CU that offers your rewards points for every dollar you spend. You get enough points, you redeem them for a VISA gift card.

Wanted to put new counter tops in my house, and had the money to pay for it cash. Instead, I charge it to my CU's credit card. Wait one day for the transaction to post so I get my rewards points. Go in the next day and write a check to pay the credit card off. Turn around and take my 5000 points and redeem it for 100 dollar VISA gift card.

I payed no interest, and I got 100 dollars back simply for filtering the transaction through a credit card instead of paying for it out right.

Why would you NOT do that if you have the opportunity to? Same thing with gas, I have the money to pay for gas, I charge it to card that earns me airline miles, bought me and my wife 2 tickets to vegas this december. Again, I never let a balance sit on the card, I just filter my gas purchases through the card to earn the points. Same thing with insurance, I get a 30% break on car insurance for my credit.

These companies count on the fact the average person will throw a huge balance on a card to get points/rewards, then let it sit for months/years, and whatever they pay out on rewards they make back 10-fold in interest. All you have to do is be responsible.

>it helps you do minute bullshit I don't care about

Really gaming it bro

getting back 100 bucks is 100 bucks, i'd do that if I could get a card that would let me

still, you not caring about doesn't change the fact he's right, you can use credit cards and shit to earn cash back and shit, they just won because most people are stupid and let huge balances sit on credit cards forever

You honestly sound like a loser talking about it like that, and I'm on your side

>uses credit responsibly
>you sound like a loser

I don't get this board

>cash back
Shit is always a scam

please explain how it's always a scam

Everyone is a poor fag from some redneck hick town and was taught from a young age that yous should put ALL your money in a mattress and never trust banks or credit unions because grandpappy said so
Never mind that dropping 20k+ cash on a car is a financially irresponsible move and it's safer in the vast majority of situations to finance at a low rate and invest the rest.

> finance at 4% or less
> earn 8% minimum on your investment in any index fund
> keep your cash pile incase of emergency

Americans should really be taught finance and economics through their entire school life, maybe then they won't all end up either permanent crippled by debt or scared shitless to reap the rewards of financing
but whatever, ignorance is bliss

>rewards of financing

Yeah man I can't think of a single time when people got fucked by banks and credit unions not once even.

>finance at 4%
>take money you were going to spend on car and invest in index at 8
>8% return over 60 months will be greater than total cost of loan with interest

You took your money and made it work for you, like any reasonably smart person would

>invest
Oh boy here we go.

Index funds are literally the most simple thing ever. You can walk in and do it at a branch bank with a regular ass banker, its literally what most all retirement plans are based off of

here you go again, you and lpg talking about real world shit that reasonable people do. you know this is out of Veeky Forums's league

If I wanted to gamble and lose a bunch of my money I'd hit up an Indian reservation

you're just using words nobody understands to sound smart
what the hell is index? what do they make

investopedia.com/terms/i/indexfund.asp

Index funds, they are the core component to IRA's and 401(k) retirement plans. It's the safest, most basic, foolproof form of passive investing you can make.

Sorry about your double digit iq, kid

Due to their own fault sure
It's retarded to load up a credit card with a 27% interest rate without having any way to pay it back in time. But oh no that's the banks fault because Americans can't read the terms and conditions of what they signed up for
Gtfo pleb

Yeah man I can't think of a single time banks and credit unions fucked over responsible innocent people not once even

what is it though

Well there was the time a heap of banks went under because they loaned money to financially irresponsible people who thought it was free money...

Usury is a sin btw
But it's not always bad

Exactly. So it can happen again.