So my dad just passed and I inherited his '67 Mustang. It's out of shape and missing a few parts...

so my dad just passed and I inherited his '67 Mustang. It's out of shape and missing a few parts. You guys think It'd be better to just rip it and sell the parts or try and fix it up?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/4UbPm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Sell it for parts or fix it up.

The only right answer is the latter. Classics are fun and a treat to drive. Spend the time fixing it, eventually make it pretty. Then enjoy a car from a time when Murrica made good cars.

A 67 notchback mustang is a nice little car but it isn't very valuable. It depends on how much work it needs to become a driver.

It depends on the shape of the body. If it's rusty, has a bent frame, needs new panels, etc you're probably best off parting it out.

Does it have a V8, A/C or any sport/trim package?

its overall worth practically nothing so unless you really need the space or can't bother to wrench then keep it as a weekend project and fix it up
Like the other user said, they're a treat to drive

Let me tell you a story OP.

My dad restored a RS/SS 1968 Camaro while I was growing up. Being a millennial, I feigned interest but continuously partied with my friends. I grew up a lot since then, and realized I didn't have a calling. I was just floating around, drinking, going to college, etc. and had little to show for.

Well, the easiest way to get a hobby is to copy your dad. So I did. I bought pic related. I bought it even though he said I shouldn't. Then he said I shouldn't be buying all these parts to restore the car, just ship it home. Then he said not to drive the car. Then he said not to drive the car halfway across the country. In fact, everyone in my life, from coworkers to friends to my family said I shouldn't do those things.

But I did all of those things.

Life will happen to everyone. You can live passively, it's easy as fuck and it's comfortable. You can drown your ambitions and dreams (as rare as they come) in Veeky Forums, Youtube, Netflix, booze, whatever. Your friends and family will support you, and if you ever have a dream, they'll do their best to shoot you down. Which should be great for you, right? You don't want to rebuild the car. Your peers don't want you to either. The people here on Veeky Forums are just armchair mechanics for the most part that have no idea what it's like to restore a car. They can't give you good advice. Rebuilding a car is hard. Take it from me trying to rebuild this hunk of junk. You should see the metalwork I've been doing for almost a month now, grinding out rust, cutting out floorpans, shaping new floor pans... it's ugly work. And what, to restore a car? Really? There's better things to do in your free time like getting chicks or drinking or partying or

My story is similar.
Realised you're only young once, so I bought a 75 Holden Belmont ute. At that point I still lived with my mom, and she hated the fucking thing, said I had wasted my money. Maybe she was right because I've been fixing it for a while now, I'm pouring money into it like crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Every time I drive my work van, every time I ride the bus I think about what it would be like to drive my fire breathing V8 ute and as soon as I get home I do something to it. Every night, whether it's big or small I'll do something.

Point it OP. You're only young with a Mustang once. You take that chance you and run.

Actually no. The biggest thing I can take away from it is the confidence I've gained from fixing up a rusted out piece of shit.
I can fix anything now, from a screen door to a broken heart.

>Classics are fun and a treat to drive

They drive like crap. They're shaky, noisy, drafty, and numb. They're inefficient, have a tendency to slide under hard braking, and will kill you in the most meager of impacts.

If a new car had these qualities, everyone would be shitting all over it, and it would probably be voted the worst car in the world on some automotive websites, but because it's an old car, it's somehow entitled to a double standard, and suddenly these issues don't even slightly matter.

Oh yeah, and one more thing; I like old cars.

But I don't care about chicks or parties and don't drink

>If a new car had these qualities, everyone would be shitting all over it, and it would probably be voted the worst car in the world on some automotive websites, but because it's an old car, it's somehow entitled to a double standard, and suddenly these issues don't even slightly matter.
No, it's because new cars all look the same, which is shit. They're not simple or easy to work on either.
Protip: It's because they're old that they shake, but you're not going to send your mother to the ovens just because she has arthritis.

>it's because new cars all look the same

Opinions are irrelevant.

imo the feel and sound of driving a classic is part of the experience. You really feel the car whereas with new vehicles, you feel as though you're in an enclosed bubble. Brakes are a relatively easy modification.

I agree they aren't as safe, but motorcycles aren't either. Doesn't stop people from taking that chance and still enjoying them. What makes classics so appealing is there body styles which are unsafe. No big a-pillar posts, big front ends with small decks, no roof post support, no big interior panels to fit air bags, etc.

>Brakes are a relatively easy modification.

It's not the brakes that are the problem, it's the structure. It's loose and flimsy, and that makes it unstable under hard braking.

Fix it up or sell it as is. Multiple companies still reproduce parts and there are thousands upon thousands of junk mustangs for parts already so you won't make much more by parting it out. It wouldn't be worth the hassle. You might as well fix it up and enjoy it.

You're right. All new cars look different, though the difference is semantic, this is objective fact.

I've never heard anyone bring this up before. Most full frame cars were pretty solid. I've had to put sub frame connectors in a 1975 Trans Am but otherwise haven't had a problem.

Every era has similar styling. People like to copy each other.

Convert it to a rotary.
imgur.com/a/4UbPm

>I like old cars.

Then you should think they ARE a treat to drive. Nothing on an old car does anything for you. No ABS, you are the ABS. Everything is raw, and its satisfying to drive. New cars all handle easily, theres nothing but mind numbing driving.

>Grew up learning driving a 68 Impala. Nothing will be quite as fun as that.

I just hope you don't make it look like a disgusting piece of baby boomer trash like the one you posted.

Disgusting...

>They drive like crap. They're shaky, noisy, drafty, and numb. They're inefficient, have a tendency to slide under hard braking, and will kill you in the most meager of impacts.
That's what makes it fun tho.

>No, it's because new cars all look the same
Cars from the 60's all looked the same.

Cars from the 70's all looked the same.

Take a minute and watch Bullet or Easy Rider and you'll see how all the cars looked the same.

First and only maybe first but corvairs had some in them tested in northern states for cold start purposes

Write to MTVs "pimp my ride" and as them to pimp your mustang.

It's weird because my Corvair doesn't like starting in the heat but fires right up in the cold.

well they obviously fixed that problem.

but i don't have the travesty that is rotary engines in my Corvair.

You can just have a new car be manual steering and no abs you know

>You can just have a new car be manual steering
Manual Steering rack=/=power steering without power.

>no abs you know
non-abs brakes =/= brakes without ABS

You'd have to drive a 60's boat to understand how much you whippersnappers take for granted.

22 y/o btw.