/rlg/ - Roguelike general

Orb of POWER edition

New Demon release adds more Sanctums: demon.ferretdev.org/devblog/

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Maybe we should update the OP text some time.

Other urls found in this thread:

small-games.info/?go=game&c=5&i=18436
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Previous thread.

Well, they're winnable yes. But still deserve a buff. Because being winnable doesn't make them not terribad.

>Repost from last thread for anybody who might be interested in not contributing to the jewery.

So I've just tried a pirated version of Qud (not sure about the precise version number, but it should be fairly recent) to test this anti-piracy system.

I've given me enough xp to reach level 110 (at least 20.000.000 xp, so out of scope for normal play) trough the Wish command, and my dude is still alive and well.

If anybody is interested, the link is:
small-games.info/?go=game&c=5&i=18436

they deserve a buff bec. u deserve a buff LOL

Thanks for using my image, my fellow rogueliker.

You know that when you make a new thread you can update the OP right? A good thing to add would have been the latest trunk updates blog post for DCSS or the youtube channel or the rlcon talks.

What's the RC file that trakcs how much damage you did, how much damage you took and how much HP you're recovering?

How the fuck is a 15 rune Felid of Chei at 30k turns even possible? Fucking koreans must have computer chips for brains

HDA Damage.

> the latest trunk updates blog post for DCSS
Why?

back the fuck off !?!?

As someone who plays a lot of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, I came to this game with high expectations. There is a lot of depth of gameplay here, but you're constantly fighting against the User Interface and the way the map works more than the monsters themselves.

You will constantly find yourself bumping into walls you can't see because rather than keeping the game world centered on the player, you're going from screen to screen. It feels very clunky and it constantly takes me out of the experience. There is a giant box of information to one side of the screen that blocks a huge portion of the map, but for how big it is, it really doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Another annoyance is the auto-explore AI. It is extremely poor. It skips over items you have on auto-pickup, and it's constantly getting stuck on nothing when the screen is nowhere near fully explored.

The game also seemed to discourage exploring too deep into any given cave - there are dead ends everywhere, and no easy way to backtrack like in most roguelikes. I was very disappointed that there didn't seem to be any way to get back to the surface other than the way I came, forcing me to try to retrace my steps over an hour and a half.

Another issue I had with the game is the performance - you would think such a simple looking game would run smooth as silk, but this game has to stop and think an awful lot. I didn't get far into the game and the files it generated on my computer total up to 385MB - 60MB for the save file, 60MB for a backup of that save file, and an enormous amount of cache. Like many early access titles, this game really needs some optimization done to it, but it's just surprising to see it from a game like this.

I feel like the entire engine needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, getting rid of the per-screen nonsense and keeping the world centered on the player, and with a much better User Interface. I really wanted to like this game, but I just don't. It needs to be better.

Could be bots

How does that work?

include += HDADamage.rc ?

Should be:

include += HDamage.rc

>Why?
News regarding a roguelike goes in the news section.

Found out that HDA was hilariousdeathartist and grabbed all his setups
These are really neat

Demon question: does the "I'll teach you a skill only if you join now" option ever succeed?

Even on low level things like fairies they have never accepted for me.

>TrMo in The Lair
Oh god what the fuck do I do if I run into a Hydra

I don't like his colors, absence of -more- and some other shticks. Only need damage and forcemore.

After several failures I've never bothered attempting it again. Probably has to do with your hidden reputation score or whatever, same with telling a demon about yourself or lying about your identity

>absence of -more-
but isn't that bundled with forcemore?

>you're going from screen to screen
Agreed, but I only found it to be an hassle when getting lost.

>auto-explore AI
Never noticed anything wonky with it, but I played quite some time ago.

>exploring too deep into any given cave
Back when I played, random caves where boring as shit (quest dungeons ranged from ok to neat). I agree that they should do something to make them more interesting and less a chore.
At least there's a key to auto-walk to the stairs, so getting back out is not too terrible.

My main beef with the game is that (at least the last time I played) it has completely static quests and overworld. I realize that it's not the first RL to do so, but it has always struck me as a poor fit for a permadeath game.

The lore is absolutely top noch, tough.

Also, the sidebar can be toggled on and off with a single keypress.

SpEn here.
What should i train now?
I have regeneration, dmsl, ice armor, silence and haste. planning to get mana vipers, other summons and inv

>D2
>fall down shaft for two floors
>a ghost of a HuBe comes into view
>an artifact ring comes into view
>walk towards the ring
>fall down a shaft for two floors again
>die to a centaur

this is some kind of fuckery, I'll give you that.

/rlg/ bloatcrawl fucking when?

IIRC no.

someone has to create the fucking github

When you start coding, user.

Darkness is nice, something to deal with bulky high res/magic immune undeads dispell undead maybe even draining bolt and get butterflies as well
As for training get fighting to 10, then train spellcasting to lower the hunger needed for the stuff, 16 is somewhat low and youll need some more memory levels too

I believe it heavily depends on how much approval you already have. For example, a it will almost always work with a 2/4 goblin, but it never works with a 0/4 one.

>scroll of noise scares bears
how have I never noticed this before

SECRET TECH

I have 38 int because of my rings and amulet so my hunger is zero

Oh shit lol. Well still, youll need some skill levels for spells i think. Also i forgot, learn shroud of golurbia or whatever its called, the 2 portal way thing, get blink/cblink and passage is cool since going thru walls doesnt trigger waking up if you do it next to monsters, obviously

It also breaks mesm.

The free version is on their website. Why would you download a pirated version from a dubious site?

I don't think they're developing the free version anymore.

Also, I use the site pretty regularly and I never caught something.

100% agree

yeah, but it's still a shit game.

I never said it's good (the lore is).

>(the lore is)
The lore was the best thing about it.
I hope I haven't lost those pics

formicids are the last race to need any sort of buff

I actually got it to work with a 0/4 goblin this morning with shocking touch

Formicids do not need a buff. They're weakness is part of what makes them interesting.

is training shields as a SpEn a gud idea?

Its ok if you find reflection or some nice arti shield

please stop posting "bec." it is the worst abbreviation ever

that isn't engrish, ESL-kun
it's perfectly good english

>finding the grand grimoire
which spell is more fun?
i'm that newfag SpEn. don't worry about hunger, i have a shitton of int

I have some questions about Cataclysm.

1.Where can I find a detailed list of what each of the default mods do?

2. How big of a difference does changing distance between cities by a few points make?

3. With dynamic zombie spawns on, does shooting a gun at the middle of nowhere attract as many zombies as doing the same in the middle of a city?

4. Does an NPC spawn rate of 1.00 mean there will be as many NPCs as zombies? Do all of them come running wanting to talk at the same time?

5. With monster evolution factor at 4.00, when can I expect to meet top tier monsters frequently?

6. Where can I find a list of what each vehicle part does?

7. How do I repair metal weapons?

8. I'm wearing chitinous armor with a kevlar MBR on top, do you think putting a gambeson under that would be overkill?

>offscreen walls
yeah these are extremely fucky

>infobox
hit / or * on the numpad or something

>autoexplore
it used to be even worse, if you believe it
it would totally ignore stationary monsters so you would hit autoexplore and get all your shit rusted by qudzu or be turned into swiss cheese by a chaingun turret

>no way to backtrack
not in the very early game, but do Argyve's quests in the starting town and he'll give you a scifi "rod of recall" (the Joppa Recoiler)

the free version isn't just "up-to-date version but without tiles", it's a couple years old at this point

None i dont even know whats in that fucking book

Monstrous Menagerie, Summon Greater Demon, Malign Gateway, Summon Horrible Things
basically a collection of Lovecraftian pulp

Which god for a DrTm?
Oklahoma is fucking boring, and I'm not even sure they'd be good anyway.

Trog

Jiyva?

don't mock me

Malign Gateway

Free chaos paralyzes and absurd damage

Summon Horrible things is good to spam too

Jiyva wasn't a joke, user.

Nemelex

You spend all your XP on being a melee dude, then you just draw cards all the time to ensure you stomp

Oh right
Horrible things and gateway are strong as hell, get those if you can

Is there some Poison spell/artifact/whatever which allows me to poison/damage even enemies with rpois or even poison immunes?

Fine then
SlowTrog
LoudTrog
ShadowTrog
DanceTrog

>Does an NPC spawn rate of 1.00 mean there will be as many NPCs as zombies? Do all of them come running wanting to talk at the same time?

No. It means there will be as many NPCs as the arbitrary default NPC spawn rate.
At .5 it will be half as much, etc. I like to turn it down to .01-2 because the game has WAY too many NPCs in it for a zombie apocalypse and mostly all they do is annoy you.

>How do I repair metal weapons?
you need a (battery powered) soldering iron or a welder.
Some things (mostly wooden/plastic) are repaired with duct tape.

How in the world am I supposed to survive the Actaeon link in Demon without being a mind scream build? There's too many god damn dogs. Do I need to go into a sanctum first if one shows up? Even with a tank I just get overwhelmed no matter what, it's frustrating.

It's called souleater.

oklahoma is the best option for a tm unless you want to do chei stuff

finesse is just as good as on any other tablord, and heroism is even better than normal because of how well UC scales with skill levels

cheiTms do obscene damage, higher than anything else in the game, because of how high-level tmuts scale with stats
but they have to worship chei

Heal on kill helps quite a bit. Won't win the battle, but increases survivability.

But the most important part is to have a healer and a way to quickly swap damaged mons. Quick despawn is god tier ability.

staff of olgreb sometimes poisons immune things with its melee hits

but the melee is the worst thing about it. get 20 evo and you get a OTR + free venom bolt each turn for 4mp
anally devastate everything without rpois

also it's an unrand so you will only find it when you worship tso or you sacrifice evo to ru

Are there spells that affect even poison immunes? Sure, Shatter + Olgreb's staff Poison Nuclear Warfare should literally cover every resistance in LOS, but i wonder if the staff's evocated spells can sometimes even affect immunes like with the melee hits for example.

retart
a real zombie apocalypse, especially in the first couple of days and even weeks, would have shit tons of living people
zombies don't just appear out of thin air with a default ratio of 100000 zambos : 1 human, they have to kill or bite a human first to make them turn into new zombies
and this is still assuming that real humans are just as incompetent, unaware, and evil as depicted in zombie media

yes there are spells that affect poison immune things

for example, if u have half poison and half conj xp, u could use IMB or OOD, or branch out into Iron Shot

if u are really desparate u can use poison arrow which is 33% untyped/unresistable/physical/whateveryouwanttocallit damage

Leading him back to a dead end before linking so dogs can only come from one side helps. All he can do is bump you so it isn't especially dangerous if you have a healer. For melee characters, at least.

And get soul/flesheater.

>a real zombie apocalypse
wouldnt exist

a fictional zombie apocalypse has (almost) ALL THE HUMANS DEAD
not random idiot bob sitting in the middle of town for 3 years and then dying within 10 minutes of the player getting close enough to see him (because that's when the game starts actually modeling his actions)

CDDA's "reality" bubble is retarded.

retartet

>u
Don't shitpost like that

nigger

The alternative would be either having every turn take a year or having so few objects that there would be nothing to do.

I just had a 2/4 goblin refuse twice.

Seems like it's not worth it except for things like a unmodified goblin where it doesn't really matter if you fail.

sry :(

Don't be ridiculous, of course I'm not asking for everything to be simulated all the time.
Certain things (fires, charcoal kilns off the top of my head) should be, though.

Many are
Fires aren't because a forest fire would murder all FPS forever.
Charcoal kilns (and funnels, solars etc.) catch up when they enter the bubble.

someone post the felid in the abyss image

Is it no longer possible to add items to shopping list from ctrl+f? If yes, the devs are triple niggers. All of them.

Find a narrow corridor, use a wisp to distract half of the horde, and have everyone else including actaeon guard the opposite side

the smart choice would be using a more general/less accurate/lower res simulation of the fire when it's far away
so even if it doesn't work exactly the same as when the player is around, it still actually continues burning and eventually goes out
it should do the same for solar panels, so the player can walk far away from their solar vehicle and come back to actually charge

Throw rocks if you trained throwing or zap shit
God abilities and allies
Mark exclusion and use the stairs

Easy to say, but the longer you think about it, the more you realize you're just an idea guy who doesn't even have a solid idea.

Solars do catch up, as I said before.

Ah, I see. Still possible, but in an extremely inconvenient way. Well then, I retract my accusation, they're only double niggers.
All of them.

very well

the last time i played cdda they didn't, but i realized i wasn't having much fun playing it so i've only shitposted about it and not actually played since before they added laundry

Dcss happenings and doings

EZ

I don't know why that fag is shitting on you. Fires and solar panels aren't even modeled realistically in the game so there's no reason for fires to shit up fps unless the game itself was programmed by a bunch of "idea guys"