Toyota MR2 Spyder

I made up my mind and decided to save up for an MR2 Spyder. Down the line I'd wanna swap out the 1ZZ for the 2ZZ off a Celica or so. Anyone have experiences w this car, common issues etc? Should I swap the stock tranny as well if I do an engine swap etc? I wanna know this car inside and out.

Other urls found in this thread:

mr2.com/forums/forums/19-MK-3-MR2-Spyder?s=567c6132c1610babbb4c406c9a615073
ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-Base-Convertible-2-Door-/112083875037?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a18b834dd:g:HaYAAOSw8vZXMkD9&item=112083875037
spyderchat.com/forums/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

mr2.com/forums/forums/19-MK-3-MR2-Spyder?s=567c6132c1610babbb4c406c9a615073

these people know

Gut the precats

Are you me?
From what I've read, you can keep the transmission that cage from the car.

How hard is it to do it myself/expensive, could I just put in an aftermarker one or is it not worth it

If you have a hammer it's easy

If youare saving up then don't bother looking for the perfect MR2 just yet,somebody else will buy it before you have enough money and it will break your stupid heart.
t.a guy with a broken heart.
No joke,save a bunch first,then go hunting.

Is 4k-6k a good range to find one? I've found this one so far since Spyders on Craigslist around me are as rare as roadside hookers without chlamydia

ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-Base-Convertible-2-Door-/112083875037?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a18b834dd:g:HaYAAOSw8vZXMkD9&item=112083875037

Pre-facelift had the precat issue. I wanna say it was corrected from 2003+.

Also: spyderchat.com/forums/

You and me both, user, but I'm saving for a cheaper RHD MR-S.

I might sell my car to get one but I'm afraid of the overwhelming pang of regret I'll be struck with if I do.

why not turbo the 1zz instead?

why would you get the mr2 for gays
might as well own a miata

It's lighter than an NB Miata and only like 90 pounds heavier than an NA.

It's drawback is that hardtops are a bitch to find, mandatory pre cat removal, and no trunk space.

Don't swap a 2ZZ, they have more problems that fanboys won't admit to, if you're going to swap an engine in make it a K series

The only real drawback is those taillights. Have a friend with one and it breaks necks to this day. Very pretty

That's the only hesitation I have, even though I live in a good neighborhood, I'd want a hardtop on it at some point and apparently I can't look any up under 2-3k

>needs to save up for car
>yet to even drive said car
>already wants to do an engine swap

oh boy

Dont need to drive a car like an mr2 to know you'll like it. If you like driving and sharp handling you'll love driving an mr2

What are the problems?

Issues with the head IIRC, others know but you could always Google it instead of waiting to be spoon-fed you fucking lazy cunt

It's the 1ZZ that has problems. The 2ZZ fixes them.

I only ask because I drive a car with a 2zz and I've had no problems with it. I've never heard of any head issues with the 2zz. The only thing I do know is that oil starvation is the weakness of the 2zz. But as long as you don't money shift, you will be fine.

The only thing I remember was the oil pump disintegrating which lead to oil starvation, but honestly the K is a better engine

That may be so, but a 2zz swap is literally drop in.

k swap op. K has a bigger aftermarket and a lot more support for computer tuning side of things.

If you want to build something really unique with lots of power but a completely underrated engine look at the 2.0 and 2.2 ecotec. The potential for massive power is there (600hp) with relatively cheap buy in. Stock you can make 300hp+ with just a tune.

Not quite literally. You need new manifolds, a new wire harness, and a couple other things. You can do it in a weekend for not a whole lot of money, though.

something else to look at is the kappa chassis platform. I know op wants mrS. but if you can find a cheap solstice or skyline that chassis is actually really capable, equal if not better than a miata of the same vintage.

Realize i sound like a gm fanboy lol. I own a nissan, 2 mazdas, and a honda tho

Kappa is pigfat for its size though, and is only big enough for children

Only the Redline/GXP is actually good, and it has as little storage space as an MR-S, which puts it in a different class from the Miata.

Because lift.