I'm learning to drive and I have an automatic and a Manual available...

I'm learning to drive and I have an automatic and a Manual available. I was figuring I'd get the hang of basic driving on the auto and then go to the manual. So I have everything down and then can just focus on learning clutch. Is this a bad idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XN9zHcPEev0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just start on the manual. My wifes little sister is basically half retarded and she learned it in a day.

Why do people think learning to drive a manual is hard ?.

Are people really this retarded ?.

a lot of things that you are unskilled at and have no experience with seem hard at first.

Do you think playing the piano is hard? What are you, retarded?
Do you think doing a backflip is hard? What are you, retarded?

thought so bitch

But why are you on a car enthusiast board?

I am not the OP

But you can't do skids with piano

I had assumed that.

It's not learning to drive a manual. It's learning to drive at all and doing a manual at the same time. I have 0 experience operating any vehicle

youtube.com/watch?v=XN9zHcPEev0

I am here because I like cars and I like driving my car around the city, highway, and toe-gay

>stall
>stall
>stall
Also nobody told me how to use the tach to do it properly, I've just been guessing by the feel of the revs when to let off the clutch.

It sucks and I can never do it right. Uphill seems like magic to me. You're supposed to be able to parallel park these things? Driving feels more like throwing them in a direction with the engine rather than willing it into position like on an auto. I can get any car through any gap of at least a single inch wider than the car itself, and parallel with only two as long as it's an auto. Spent three years at stealershits as a porter before I managed to get a real job. Became capable of parking cars in spaces smaller than the cars themselves. Still couldn't get a car backed out of a space without stalling on a manual. Only thing I ever successfully drove was a manual PT Cruiser with a clapped out clutch.

TELL ME YOUR FUCKING SECRETS YOU FUCKING CAR THIS IS WORSE THAN BEING A VIRGIN
WHAT KIND OF VALET CAN'T DRIVE STICK
WHAT AM I FUCKING IGNORING

Then go auto if you feel worrying about the clutch is going to bother you that bad.

Well put.

What if some people are more overwhelmed or just less skilled at driving, so they need more concentration to drive well? I think an automatic would be better suited to that sort of person, and then they could move on the manual if they wanted.

>Veeky Forums
>car enthusiasts

Most of Veeky Forums doesn't know jack shit about cars.

Veeky Forums is /a/ on a bad day but about cars. It's as simple as that.

Still

The feel when clutch starts to engage as you lift off your foot, that's when you apply tiny amount of gas.

Hill starts at first can be annoying but when you try the first time i recommend using the handbrake to make sure you do not roll back.

To ask questions of more knowledgeable people or learn

I'll figure out how that doesn't stall the car when I get to it. At minimum, I've actually started teaching myself how to wrench properly again since I haven't even been a lube jockey in years and didn't know a lot in the first place since I bought an old Comanche to work on and use to move stuff. I already planned on buying something like a Geo or a cheap civic to practice manual on and then sell for what I paid when I'm done with it, but holy hell is it frustrating and embarrassing not knowing this shit. I catch endless amounts of hell from my buddy that DD's a bone stock 944 he's probably rebuilt twice, by himself, with just jackstands. He's younger than me and I'm 24.

Do you have any specific tips or techniques that you follow? Any specific rev targets? Clutch use? Anything I absolutely must not ever do?

I'll take this moment to apologize for hijacking OP's thread. I'd say take the auto first to at least learn the rules of the road and get used to actually directing a moving vehicle. You're young, you haven't ever done it before. Being a passenger won't prepare you at all.

It's alright. Good questions that I'd like to see posts about tii

Stop looking at the tach. Stop shifting because of the tach . Shift when you want to. Just don't bring it to redline

That's fine

90% people in yurop use manual transmission. If you can't then you can't pass driving test.

You can actually make a driving license in Europe that you can drive only automatics. If you want to move on manual you have to do make another test.

Stupid weeb
>"Dude you don't know shit about Chinese cartoons. I know all the good shit and I actually have knowledge on the subject"
Retard. You guys are like hipsters, except hipsters have friends and get laid