Is gran torino a grandpa car?

Is gran torino a grandpa car?
How does the Windsor perform?
Is there decent parts availability or if not can I ghetto mustang parts from the time period?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JMJ6_wzC3-I
youtube.com/watch?v=1KuNCDCimdo
youtube.com/watch?v=O5IRSwXt_Gw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Gran. Torino is a fat piece of shit. The Torino was a great, if overlooked, muscle car. Then came the Gran Torino. The only good thing about them is the V8 engine. It's the landbarge for grandparents who think its a muscle car of some sort.
It like a Chevrolet Monte Carlo... but without the cool factor, or aftermarket support

Anything after 71 is a fat piece of shit I'm fully aware of this fact

The gran torino was heavier than the Torino but does it really matter? If you are bench racing 70's cars then just give it up and just pick up a civic.

They're beautiful cars. I love the coke bottle body design. Personally I liked the 72 the best because of the open egg-carton style grille. The later years like the Starsky and Hutch (76) have steel bumpers and are a little less sporty looking but great looking cars nonetheless.

They were cheap cars that didn't demand a whole lot of money in their day. They were known for being rusty and ford gave them absolutely shitty paint jobs for years. In turn, finding a clean one is hard. Most are rotten and scrapped.

The Windsor is a mediocre engine, especially after 72. Clevelands had a bit of a better build. In many cases, the Cobja Jet 351ci engines even outperformed the big blocks and are by far the best engines to get in Torino.

Parts are expensive as Torinos are not as mainstream as many cars i.e. mustang, camaro, chevelle. It's best to find a mostly complete car.

You can swap other Ford parts into the Torino although it's always preferable to get original Torino parts for fitting and keeping the car original. It depends on the part though.

Thanks for the information desu, I've wanted one ever since I seen starsky and hutch desu

>Landbarge for grandparents who thinks it's a muscle car

Well it basically is a muscle car. And cool factor? Have you ever heard of startsky and hutch?

And 73 is the cut off for the muscle car era. 71-73 was still good years for the firebird, amx, cuda, chally, and some others.

Windsors are far superior to the Cleveland. Mant more parts and much cheaper parts.

But the one I seen is a 74!

No problem. The main thing I'd suggest is don't be in a rush and really, really look over the body for rust and fill. It's better to buy a car with a bigger initial investment that's solid rather than buying something cheap that's a rusty nightmare. Shops all charge $100+ an hour for metal work and it adds up quick.

This is my '70 Torino with a 4 speed and 429ci.

Well 74 and 73 are similar as long as it's not a Torino elite.

I believe the only changes from 73 until they quit was the rear end design and the engine selection. other than those and other trim stuff I think they were the same.

>Windsors are far superior to the Cleveland. Mant more parts and much cheaper parts.

As someone who has owned both a Windsor and Cleveland, I have to say that despite demanding more money and having less parts availability, Clevelands are worth it. The ports and valves are much more generous and the build quality seems much better.

It depends what you want though. I see the Windsor as more of a economy engine and the Cleveland as more of a sport engine.

How hard is it to find a Cleveland for sale? Does it use the same block as a Windsor?

>Does it use the same block as a Windsor?
No. Completely unrelated engine.

I really want one desu
w2c tho

I'd beg the differ. Windsors being fairly lighter aid for more compact, sporty applications, although 4V Clevo heads can't be beat.
And I reckon some of the best sounding engines in the world are 4V headed Fords at WOT. SBCs just can't compete.

Pretty nice looking. It will attract troubled spics though.

Bore and stroke the windsor out.

>SBCs just can't compete.
wat
youtube.com/watch?v=JMJ6_wzC3-I

and yes, Chevy did make a 302 small block. Only ever used in 67-69 Camaro Z28's due to displacement restrictions for Trans Am racing.

That thing sounds stressed af

I dunno guys, Windsors sound dank

youtube.com/watch?v=1KuNCDCimdo

At 8,000 RPM, the only thing really stressed are the lifters. which is true for any pushrod engine with hydraulic lifters

and pushrods and valve springs

but to have a pushrod engine get to 8k rpms, it will probably idle and have lowspeed performance that's shit.

low speed=wicked noise.

>vapelyfe

youtube.com/watch?v=O5IRSwXt_Gw

Imagine pulling up to a redlight with a 2015 Focus that had a straight piped 351 windsor in it.

>Imagine pulling up to a redlight with a 2015 Focus that had a straight piped 351 windsor in it.

Id laugh at the tard who ruined their car

>has enough money to put a small block v8 in a mildly new car
>cars about ruining it

You'll probably improve it tbqh

slower
heavier
sound worse
get worse mpg

nah its pretty retarded

>slower
maybe with a smog pump
even generic 2bbls made like 210 horsepower lmao

>heavier
who cares lmao a 2015 focus weighs almost 3000 lbs

>sound worse
lmao no

>get worse mpg
poorfaggots rotfl

lol even a base model Focus is quicker than what a 351w swapped one would be

damage control

lmao yes American V8s sound awful

damage control

>damage control
lmao yfw

Gt40 heads for a 351w are best all around

>le

I recently got to drive a base model Focus. Holy shit what a turd. Here's a list of cars I'd drive over a base model or really any Focus, speaking from experience:

- Opel/Vauxhall Corsa
- Toyota Aygo
- Renault Twingo... 8-valve
- Honda Civic Si
- Nissan Leaf
-

What did you use to paint the hood?

I feel like painting an entire muscle car the same way would look great.