How do I get over my fear of driving on the freeway?

How do I get over my fear of driving on the freeway?
No matter what I do I'm always on edge.
>have to keep an eye out for the exits so I don't miss them
>have to drive at lethal speeds for extended period of time
>that semi-truck on your right could easily ram my car and obliterate me
>that driver in front of me looks drunk, this is the fucking end
i just shatter into pieces from the anxiety and paranoia

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B_Qq_5SlFSw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What do you drive?

A 2004 Honda Civic

there's why

>i just shatter into pieces from the anxiety and paranoia
What makes you think it is a good idea to drive a 2 ton machine around others if you are this mentally handicapped. Take your license and cut it up. You should not be driving.

Because fuckheads like you drive is the reason we have a ton of stupid laws and can not have nice things. It's fine, driving is not your thing, don't do it.

Are you female?

get on the bus.

sell your car and ride the bus or a bike. you are not mentally fit to pilot a vehicle. one day you will cause the injury or death of someone(s).

>Stay on the right lane when there's many cars so you don't have to slalom between them when your exit is coming. Alternatively plan your route.
>You can always give room for a truck or semitruck if it's trying to merge.
>Overtake the shitty drivers.

Also if your wheels are badly balance they can cause the ride to feel wobbly as fuck when going freeway speeds. If so take them to a tire shop and fix 'em up. The car will feel much more stable.

I love driving but live in bum fuck no where and don't get on expressways or anything very often. Love the wide opens speeds but merging in from on ramps always sketches me out. I obviously trust my two eyes over the mirrors but you can't exactly have your head over your shoulder the whole time.

Really now? Is it that you don't even know your way home?
Need a GPS for a route you take daily?
Take the bus
Then overtake it or slow down so you're not on his side. Also if he's on your right, how are you gonna see where to exit if you already have problem knowing where you're going?
Slow down, since you're already driving at fucking ludicrous speed.
Call the cops follow him from a distance not in his ass, do not over take him because he'll be in your ass when you slow down and he with his drunku drivingu ninja killing style will be smelling what you had for breakfast.

Verdict: Get a driving license, not from those American ones but from a Finnish or Swedish driving school.
They would never let you on the road if what this is how you feel when driving on the highway.

You sound utterly retarded, but this is how I built up confidence before going out on SoCal highways: get a racing simulator and get used to high speed close quarters driving and maneuvering. Once your brain gets used to going 150 on a racetrack across from an aggressive AI, regular highway driving becomes very boring and predictable. I'm much more on edge on surface streets than on highways.

Try driving a shitty old car down the highway, you'll be too distracted by all the wind noise and trying to keep it straight to worry about those things

Stop being a fag, driving on the freeway is fun because it's dangerous

But I'm afraid to die, I think it will hurt a lot

doesn't driving on the freeway give you nostalgia about roadtrips?

Use a dash mounted GPS that you can keep your eye on, I'm a bit paranoid going to new places so I'm 100% dependent on my gps but I still carry around a thomas guide.

It's only lethal if you or someone else makes it so, 99% of car crashes happen in the speed range your car was rated and designed for. Most crashes don't happen at 70+mph. You'll live, calm down.

You think they're blind? If they ever start moving into your lane, they've had their signal on for awhile and you're just blind as fuck because the whole side of the truck lights up like a Christmas tree.

Cars wander on the road, that's just how it is. Guy isn't drunk, the road is just shit, stop voting for democrats.

listen to good, fast/hard trance music, driving at night. The sudden adrenaline takeovers the fear

Im actually also very scared. But only if I drive my shitbox peugeot 106 1.4l
The problem is, that it takes like 20 seconds to accelerate to 120 km/h. Cars literally have to avoid me or we'll die by the time im at 120.
And the cars shakes fucking bad at those speeds.
But when I drive our golf 7 2.0 tdi I have no problem at all. Super comfy and I have the feeling to go faster

Every time my parents went on long trips on the freeway there was always a moment where our car either overheated, a tire popped, or something bad happened.

I've just been traumatized since then. Driving in the desert or any remote location for long periods of time is a nightmare for me since the car could overheat any moment.

Learn how cars work then learn to work on them and you'll fear no evil.

Your underlying problem is you are a bitch.

Piss on your parents for not being mechanically competent.

Try driving late at night when there are less cars on the road until you get more comfortable. Maintain the speed limit in the middle lane and if you see racers in your mirror don't try to move out of their way they will go around you. Invest in a radio that connects to your phone/Bluetooth so you can listen to whatever music you like. Practice a few times a week and eventually you will feel better. If not then take a bus

Use a sat nav on your smartphone so you can see the distance from your position to the exit...also it can guide you with voice.

>>have to drive at lethal speeds for extended period of time

Don't drive on the freeway, be a passenger on whatever you like.

>>that semi-truck on your right could easily ram my car and obliterate me

Surpass it or drive behind it at a reasonable distance.

>>that driver in front of me looks drunk, this is the fucking end

Surpass it or drive behind it at a reasonable distance.

i just went 120 on the highway

i was kinda annoyed because it was raining and there were a ton of people

Either stop driving and sell your car, or man up and accept that your 'anxiety disorder' is nothing but you being a beta.

You're actually safer on the freeway than you are on regular roads. Everyone is traveling in the same direction and the differences in speed are not that much. No one is going to ram your side my running a red light or back into you in a parking lot.

It's the noise at speed that's getting to you.

You should be in the right lane anyway unless passing.

My side mirror starts wobbling at 80+ mph

I feel bad for saying it but

Is right. If you're this handicapped on the freeway you're going to kill yourself or worse kill somebody else. All of the worries you have now are things you should also be worried about in the city. You really should stop driving and putting other people's lives in danger until you get over your fears.

Remember that driving is a privilege, not a right. You wouldn't want somebody afraid of heights to fly your plane or somebody who whose afraid of bugs to spray your house with pesticide.

who needs side mirrors anyway?

For you

>If they ever start moving into your lane, they've had their signal on for awhile

I agree with the rest of your post - but oh boy so innocent.

>he's never had to deal with the daily swerving lorries which NEVER fucking indicate

Driving on the freeway is the easiest driving there is. Everyone going in the same direction at roughly the same speed. No stops, no pedestrians, no one pulling out of side streets.

The last vehicle you need to be worried about on the highway is a semi. They're professional drivers and drive better than 100% of the cars you'll come across. So long as you can see his mirrors, he can see you. Be cautious around full sized pickups and minivans, they tend to be the biggest assholes, at least in my experience.

Watch this a few times.

youtu.be/B_Qq_5SlFSw

I like to live by this philosophy; don't be a little bitch

are you a beginner? if you are, just practice doing 1 exit runs on the highway until you're a bit more comfortable (get on, stay in right lane literally until the next exit). you'll get used to it

if you aren't a beginner, then just stay off the highway. it's fine, plenty of people don't use it and you shouldn't either if you aren't comfortable. leave it to the pros like me

Civic drivers, everyone!

Semi drivers are cunts and do not care for others

Yeah, because it's so great for his time if he has a fucking accident with you. They may be cunts if you are impeding him in some way, but he sure as hell doesn't want to cause an accident.

Tbh actually driving on the freeway is easy, even did it in a fuckhuge U-Haul truck so road noise doesn't even bother me anymore, it's the merging that really hits me

About to dump my shitbox civic and get something that can actually accelerate, this might solve 99% of my problems

Also I was taught to drive by my mom, and my dad has long since been dead. She hates driving on the highway so I literally never got any practice until I absolutely needed to drive on it

Semi trucks are actually one of the things I worry about the least, the drivers do this professionally all day every day, and their all completely blown on meth so they are attentive as shit :^)

I'm afraid of merging on, but once I'm on it I don't have a problem. It's not like a shit my pants scared, just a little tense.

>Be me
>Drive cube trucks for company
>Trying to merge onto extremely congested freeway, traffic moving about 10mph
>Trucker in the far right lane
>He slows down so i can merge
>Truckerbro

Although I will say if you see a semi that says swift stay the fuck away. They cant drive worth shit.