E85

What's your excuse for not tuning with e85 Veeky Forums? It's cheaper and gives you more power.

Other urls found in this thread:

ethanolretailer.com/flex-fuel-station-finder
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=470534
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>falling for the corn industrial complex

>paying artificially inflated prices for gas thanks to the goldman-sachs commodities market and European shadow corporations funded by Arab oil super funds speculating on the price of a barrel of oil

Too much work replacing everything in my car and getting a tune.

I don't live in the boonies.

>gives you more power
kekkeridekkeridoo

>What's your excuse for not tuning with e85 Veeky Forums
Carburetors and the beautiful stench of rich burning gas.

Nowhere here sells e85

Picture was taken in town, top 25 metropolis probably.

ethanolretailer.com/flex-fuel-station-finder

it's very hard to find in the uk

>bitches about gas that's $2.05/gallon

bruh i live in the state with literally the highest taxes on gas and i think it's cheap as fuck.

I go south for seven miles into Maryland and gas prices drop $.40/gallon.

>running 87 octane in a """""""""performance"""""""" vehicle

>he needs to bump compression to get performance
lmao

My engine isn't tuned for it

>It's cheaper
You use more of it, mostly offsetting the price difference.

It also requires (for me and most others) a new ECU or piggyback, a new fuel pump, new injectors and possibly a new fuel tank+lines+filter.

>mfw OP thinks running E85 on a stock 1970s fuel system would be ok

yeah it's cheaper per gallon but you also get less miles per gallon. i did the math once and it worked out to be about even, no decrease in dollars per mile.

nearest e85 pump is 60 miles away from me

Can also depend on the car and how many mods you do with it.

My mate with a car almost identical to mine on E85 actually uses less of it with similar driving (9L/100km vs 9.5L/100km ish), although this is likely due to a slightly lean tune and the engine just flowing better from additional mods.

On E85 a car typically uses 33% more fuel. So it has to be quite a bit cheaper for it to actually be cheaper than running on gas...

I use it quite alot in my SAAB though because dem 30 extra nm of torque and a few extra horsies.

>Doc whats all this white shit in my float bowl
>Marty, what the fuck

i did a theoretical analysis based off of the energy density of both. e85 has about 2/3 the energy density of gas, but is about 3/4 the cost of gasoline. so you're paying more to go one mile on e85 than you would on gas.

Not available in Maine.

What if you use 2/3 a tank of 93 and 1/3 tank of e85 tho.

It doesn't just work off energy density, E85 also cools better than normal fuel increasing thermal efficiency in the engine and by allowing more timing with the additional boost/compression, the engine produces more power at lighter throttle loads.

On E85 you, at worst, break even in terms of cost. If tuned well, you save money like my mate.

If you have a flex fuel sensor go for it but getting the ratio right for a reliable tune is difficult and unpredictable unless you run the exact same rout, and fill up with the exact same amount every time you use the car.

>be yuropoor
>my dohc shitbox runs flawlessly on 95
>fill it with 98
>weird hiccups here and there
>never fill 98 again

Except for

It's 30% less efficient. That being said I would run it if I had a turbo to run higher boost. If you have a na it's kind of pointless.

I think it helps the BRZ out a fair amount.

E85 requires more energy to produ e than it gives off. Don't fall for the corn subsidy-pushed E85.

I'm at 11.2:1 compression and 7 pounds of boost.
I tried e85.
Threw in 5 gallons one day I was on empty.
I didn't even get around the block before I went back and filled the tank with 100 just to be safe with that garbage floating around in there.

Pinged so bad it was like a ddos attack on my poor baby.

>durhur retard your timing

Seriously, what's the point of performance if you have to dial it back for liberal propaganda?

Have to fill up more often. Also my cars are diesel kek.

Works pretty well in my non-intercooler l67 Regal. Yeah, my mileager takes a hit but that's what the Sonic is for.

what are you talking about? changing your timing is just a few linux commands away.

Twins get a substantial increase in power with an e85 tune.

Also, only reason I'm not running e85 is I can't get it where I live, I've never even seen an e85 pump within 1000km of where I live

this applies to everything due to the laws of thermodynamics you idiot, otherwise you could decrease entropy by just making chemical X that has more energy than its constituents and the fabrication method.

>next gas station that has it is 40 minutes away
>a bit more expensive than E10 for reasons unknown
>my car's performance benefits very little from an E85 tune

What about Gasohol? I just moved to Iowa from New England and regular out here is ~$2.50 a gal but the Gasohol is like $2.00. Isn't is only a difference of 5% ethanol? Is that worth it?

I have a turbo miata with tuneable EMS and DeatschWerks fuel injectors. Should I e85? What would it take?

Depends on the year of Miata I think. Ethanol doesn't play well with older fuel systems.

Check this out for more info tho:
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=470534

Looks like FM has a conversion kit. I'll check it out as soon as their website comes back online. FM tends to be really overpriced though.

I don't think I've seen it once
But, there are two LPG stations on the route I take for my 15 mile journey to university

Yeah, closest place that sells it here is over 2 hours one way.

>You use more of it, mostly offsetting the price difference.
Usually it's about the same price per mile as regular, but 105 octane rather than 87. The only disadvantage is that you have to make fuel stops more often.

Three reasons for me
e85 is not very consistent in energy out of a pump. - barrels from some suppliers are good
Scca has limitations on types of fuel used and e85 isn't allowed. - and yes they check fuel
Fuel cell foam that is e85 compatible is fucking expensive. - it will turn the foam to mush after a season as well

>putting water in your gas tank

>shit mileage
>almost nowhere

>gives you more power.
That's not how it works. E85 actually has a lower energy density than typical pump fuel. Because of it's low energy density and lower heat value, engines that run E85 are a little cooler which helps forced induction setups to run more boost and thus more power with a reduced risk of detonation.

The reason why I don't use it is because there's only one E85 pump in my town and converting my car would be an unnecessary pain.

Seems like you can run E15 in any vehicle, and E85 in vehicles that claim to be able to run it in the Owner's Manual.

>3.6 FUEL
>A. Street and Street Touring® category vehicles will use fuel which is “Federally approved for use on public highways.” This includes the pump fuel known as E85, but does not allow racing-type fuels which are available at service station pumps. Fuels comprised of more than 15% ethanol may only be used when specified by the manufacturer (e.g., in the owner’s manual for flex-fuel vehicles)."

yeah, so what you mean is a car already setup for "flex fuel"
im not going to be able to convince anyone my 1990 crx is flex fuel ;)

Kinda, most vehicles made now are set up to handle ethanol in fuel, whether or not it says it specifically in the manual.

But you might still see some tangible benefits running E15, though, it's probably not worth it in your particular situation.

p.s. I was talking about road racing not autocross
they list out a lot of stuff
Ethanol 10.0% maximum

Ah, very cool.

how can a fuel be "efficient"? that makes no sense

energy created vs quantity of fuel
efficiency

you're an idiot.

I made it pretty simple to understand and get called an idiot?
you realize this is true for e85 right? you will burn a significantly larger amount of fuel creating the same energy as gasoline, now you can create more energy with it but you burn even more of the fuel.
But what do I know :D

you described energy density. not efficiency.

>33% more fuel

Really? Sounds like a lot

Sucks for boat owners, my '89 Johnson 90 2-stroke VRO requires a trip up the road for gas, or I have to buy it at the marina, for a very reasonable $4.50/gal.

do you really fail to see how a vehicle is less efficient on the same quantity of gas v e85?
or are you just being a pedantic asshat?

e85 is garbage, even in vehicles equipped to use it.

can you not see that the difference between energy efficiency and energy density isn't pedantry but actually significant?

>2.05 for regular
what shit hole are you in?

america

>there are states where gas is above $1.75

I weep for you user

Its almost $2.50 in michigan, for some reason they are adding even more state tax "for the roads" that they won't apply to road repairs.

Would rather just run meth injection and normal easy to find gas.

If you're not running an E85 tune and setup of course it's gonna run like shit you retard.
Fellow Iowan, Gasohol usually isn't nearly enough Ethanol to cause shit. Run it all the time. Remember, the E10 doesn't even mean it's really 10%, it's probably like 5% or something like you said.

loldetails

And I pay $5.86/gallon here in euro"poor"...

I buy enough corn to fuel myself, anyway. What the fuck else are you gonna eat in northern Illinois?

High ethanol content fuel eats fuel lines and ruins injectors.

Oops. Ignore.

I wrongly assumed ethanol and MBTE were the same.

Actually I have a twEECer so it runs on windows.

And why should I change my timing to make less power for a shit fuel when I can run actual performance octane?

$6.15 here.

>>be yuropoor
>>my V8 dohc luxury_box runs flawlessly on Shell Vpower 99
>>fill it with 95
>>weird hiccups here and there
>>never fill 95 again

My fuel injectors cant OT into proper flow rate for E85.

Tried it once, idled like shit, ran like shit, but when I floored it and went all WOT it was fucking amazing.

I tried a 50/50 mix of e85 and 93, it seemed to have ran fine, but I didnt notice much going all out.

I saw E20 once, but didnt fill up.

Haven't seen it in Canada yet

Cost of conversion for old shitboxes would ruin the cost benefits.

what conversion? isn't it just compression ratio?

because I own a diesel vw and its the same price as low octane

Because it costs more per mile driven (around here, at least). It contains about 30% less energy, and thus requires about 30% more fuel to travel the same distance, but it only costs 15-20% less.

If it's more ~30% cheaper, then it's a good deal though (but you have to fill up more often).

It burns faster than petrol

In my situation it wouldn't be worth the cost (both to upgrade to be able to run and general running costs) or the mediocre gains for either my car or my bike, not to mention finding a servo that sells it (if there even are any) and the lack of range for my bike on E85.

Also E85 and >carburetors

Because I run pure gas. I get an extra 20 miles per tank, which is an extra trip to and from work.

its hard to find pure gas here. its usually only 87 when i do too.

fuck illinois