>> Free audio
>freesound.org/browse/
>incompetech.com/music/
>freemusicarchive.org/
wasteful

put in a link to webmforretards

>Next AGDG Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-halloween-jam-2016

Should have put this in the OP. Next time, yeah?

we dont like jams here

buy my game I been lurking for years

Everything said, but also:
>while alive, you kill enemies
>while dead, you revive their ghosts
>enemies have different behavior while alive or dead
>>some fly
>>some walk through walls
>>some possess other mobs and alter their behavior

>you have to control what enemies are alive and dead for puzzle segments

This could work.

only if you're kind, honest and respectful

I will post the same question in this thread too.

the setting for it, is the entire galaxy. (current maps are just random maps converted from random images). galaxies are pretty large. I want to convey the sheer size. I can't just put a lot of AI factions into it. I am not using an API and programming language that can be considered even remotely powerful. So I must fake it. If I just made the map scrolling speed slow like in WebM and restricted to that zoom level - would it feel huge. (Player can still skip larger distances using minimap). What do you think? I feel like some players might find this too foreign.

stop spamming these threads you wads

Looking for ideas for a halloween jam game

yeah, you seem more the jelly type to me

Guess I'll ask again since i'm still not sure.

Since I'm doing the pause menu and want some consistency like the other games had, I'd try to make the title sprite as well.

I think I started off with an okay idea, but it really didn't work.
Like I said, I want a more industrial/modern feel to these assets.
So I was thinking having the title kinda as an inlaid window to space type thing could work.
But I think I really messed up the execution.

Any tips on how to fix it? Or should I scrap it and try something different?
The name is what I've been thinking of all this time, but I could listen to some feedback on that too.

Annoying the player on purpose is generally not a good strategy.

tiny progress:

my heat outlets now work as they should
refactored a lot of ugly crap in the background
and added this nifty little easing thing

also i made the worlds shittiest webM, since my crap machine runs on squashed dreams and dust.

> the setting for it, is the entire galaxy

have you learned nothing?

> Have to kill all the enemies on the screen to open a door, which ends up having collapsed rubble behind it.
> Need to resurrect the enemies into good guys so they can help bust down the rubble so you can continue.

Why are u making a Paper Mario game? Also imo the lower part(rectangle) is where the issue lays.

so the red block in the middle is a scale for character models
which bed looks best
(I haven't actually put the quilt on the one on the right but it'll basicaly be slumped over like the one on the left)
Left, or Right?

right one

How many failed projects do you have in your graveyard?
I have 7, with no released games thus far.
Pic related, I made those assets in 2012

pure sidescroller? the right one

I have projects which I need time to come back to cus I've hit a snag
none I'm through with trying for.

It honestly depends on the game's perspective. If it's an RPG or with a similar camera, left one. Platformer or more beat em up style camera go with right.

working on my very first one!

You will never come back to them, because you'll be off chasing something new unattainable dream and you know it.
How many?

sell them on the unity store? it takes basically no work on your end

my girlfriend makes about $100 a month just from one random pack, I tell her to do it full time but she loves her job at EA

>French last name that is hard to pronounce for English speakers
Should I use an alias/"pen name" when shilling my game on social medias?

1 stealth game
1 farming game
2 or 3 platformers
2 or 3 rpgs
2 visual novels

I can't commit to anything, really. It's become a major problem that I'm finally starting to fix thanks to the wonderful world of game jams (deadlines).

How bad is it that it took me 3 days to make this, and it amounts to something like 5% of everything I have to draw just for the player character? Can I switch to 1 pixel limbs before it's too late or am I doomed to work on this game for the next 10 years?

Gif is enlarged x2.

do this with several more objects before you decide and then stick to your choice.

the bed on the right looks better, but maybe refrigerators, staircases, and bookshelves will look better in the left perspective

What pack is it?
I'm genuinely curious.

>Why are u making a Paper Mario game?
Cause I want to? It started with me just testing to see how hard it'd be to make in Unity after Color Splash got everyone pissed off.
Since then, I've just taken it fartehr and farther and at this point, I have a lot of ideas and whatnot I want to actually do with it.

It's a fan game, a passion project really. That said, I've learned a FUCKTON of code stuff I didn't know cause of it.

And yeah, of course the rectangle part is what's messed up. The top is the normal PM logo that I did new vectors for so it'd be high quality.

well, for one, I don't plan on simulating octillion stars
a hundred or so provinces will do - each province abstractly representing millions of stars

Think I remember you posting progress on that white van.

guys my dream is to release a game, and im really into this (made like 5 simple games before and now i make roguelike) but after i see your games, im feeling down.. like my game is garbage and will never get to steam.. damn this thread can be really afflicting.. i see here how many of you make games and how superior they are of mine, yet you claim never accomplish any success. so why would i? still ill pursue my dream as making my game is fun for me.

If you're just the artist, I'd say stick with it.

If you're doing the whole project (or at least the bulk of it), I'd recommend going simpler unless you're cool with taking a longer time.

You could always just use placeholder art until you're ready.

Hope it won't get a DMCA takedown, user.

but I've come back to them many a time user, I have discipline
(4)

pumpkin picking and carving

Just turn you ideas into its own game unrelated to Mario. That way Nintendo won't C&D you and you can sell it.

I've expanded in pic related to have more objects, which matches better (yeah the bed quilt is gone on both now)
but user, I already have made other objects, I still cant' decide for myself

In GM, my player object moves at 3 pixels per step.

Would using decimals be an issue? Like if I want to move my character 2.7 pixels per step. Would that be bad?

where do you go once you outgrow this place? I don't mean to brag or anything but I feel like there is nothing left for me here or anything interesting to see.

I've released multiple games and I'm at the point where I need to work on improving at design and refinement (i'll admit they usually need a lot of work in that regard), where as everyone here is doing the bare basics and can never provide useful feedback.

what perspective are you going for?

like the cabinet and bed are totally different

no
if you get any unwanted sprite distortion because of it, just round up the position when drawing

1 jam game that I didn't finish in time, like 4 games I started in high school, and that's it. Been sticking with my current project for a bit over a year now

The problem is the perspective is all over the place so it'll be hard to make anything really fit.

The drawer has no perspective. The dresser has some pretty heavy perspective and viewed from high up. The left bed has more perspective and viewed from a little higher and the left bed has less perspective while almost viewed from the ceiling.

I think once you have a consistent perspective going, all the furniture will fit in without problems or looking weird.

well then left bed (in that pic) fits better with the other furniture and looks better overall.

I think it would look better with a bigger pillow though

I'm not making a blog or anything that could be traced back to me for now, so hopefully that won't happen.

There's plenty of anons doing that, and I hope they do well.
I don't have the drive or the skill to design my own world/races/etc. from the ground up. I really just want to make a Paper Mario game playing with Mario concepts the same way the old games did.
If I were to get C&D'd, then maybe I'd look into some other way to use this, but as is I don't want the added burden of redesigning everything.

I'm doing everything. I've posted placeholder progress a few times before, it's for pic related.

I'm going from a high up perspective, like if those furnishings were up against a wall, the camera would be on the opposite wall at cieling height

reddit?

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good idea for a GB game.

I kind of want to parody the radical nature of the 90s but I'm coming up with blanks. Maybe something involving skateboards...? That was cool in the 90s, right?

skateboard ninja

YOUR WELCOME

>everyone here is doing the bare basics and can never provide useful feedback.
too fucking true

Thank you. I'll run with it.

Or should I say skate with it.

I'll see myself out now.

join the discord crew of cool guys and post frogs in the autism channel instead of this lame thread

hopoo, what difference does it make? You haven't posted in months.

Working on Bangai-o-esque chain reactions. The idea is that attaching the hookshot into an enemy will send 'em flying when they have been weakened enough.

>where do you go once you outgrow this place?
Reddit, obviously, we are far more machore than these autismos.

Looks a bit goofy sped up, but what a difference. Thanks for all your help with it today AGDG.

Old:

>implying reddit makes games that aren't match 3 mobile shit and shilling/marketing threads

it's even worse than here

Robot army attacks America and the only one stepping to step up is a red-haired 12 year old kid with a leather jacket, sunglasses, laser gun and a skateboard

can you make the collision detection radius wider?
things in space don't move so suddenly

I like this.

okay, say you have a fully modeled and rigged naked man in blender. I know how to cloth simulation and bake that shit, but what about something more solid? Like a full suit of armor. Am I back to square one, having to essentially weight paint a new model. Or is there a method for parenting more rigid clothing like armor so that it animates well along with the model?

youtube.com/watch?v=z5El-yYNUwU

this was made by one single dude on UE4.

should I switch from unity to UE4?

Yes, but not because of that guy

yawn

clyp.it/5am2tfe5

Diablo 4 meets Monster Hunter Generations.

if you have the money to buy a bunch of assets like he did

I honestly like this more. I'll just have the skateboard and no laser gun (maybe if I finish the game early I'll add it), but I love the jacket and sunglasses kid thing.

Rare is using UE4 so why arn't you?

youtube.com/watch?v=bdMC2ka0slA

You're a medic sent to cure the earth of the foreign hordes

Thanks user, I had an extra sphere collider that was invisible and pushing them away vertically much faster than intended. It wasn't just because the webm was sped up. Fixed now.

anyone here use godot? im trying to change the icon of the executable of my game but it seems there is no way around it. i even used a resource editor with not success

mean
lying
rude

I'll definitely be following your progress, I've lurked /agdg/ off an on over the years and never really got too much into the devving myself (filthy nodev) but I always considered a grand strat game in the back of my mind.

You said your language isn't powerful, what are you using?

How can make my pathfinding "more logical"? If I sort the units by shortest distance to target, I get the top image.

How can I direct them more like the bottom?

Note: Although it looks like it, I don't want a formation move, it was just an easy way to illustrate the idea.

how does middle white go to the top green? surely middle green is shortest distance for that guy.

but to answer your question, you could take the y axis into account. match units to closest matching y value.

Playtonic uses unity tho

kek
I made this for (You) user
it's a basic blob enemy, they use their giant nose to sniff out ingame currency so are always around chests, and also the more money the player has on them, the more of them appear at once.

I've seen someone asking about it either on github or the q&a, and apparently you have to build the engine from source if you want to do it. Hope they've made it easier by the time I actualy release something.

Can autistic people ever hope to finish a game

make movement on the same axis cheaper than than the other

>Unity UI editing has snapping
amazing

>how does middle white go to the top green

because top white went to middle green because it was shortest distance, then bottom white went bottom green because it was shortest distance, then middle white went because it was all that was left

I'll try playing with same axis as you and said, not sure if that's going to work when they could be scattered at all edges of the map but worth a shot.

really?
well... fuck me.

by the way what do you think about that splash screen? i wanted to replace the ugly default one but feel bad about removing the logo of the GE from the game
its still a WIP

Why do you have a picture of my city m8, are you spying on me?

using game maker

right now I have it so text is drawn incrementally to the screen, line break after a certain char limit.

but what should I do if I want to press a button and display all the text instantly?

Set a loop, somehow build a smaller string from the main string up to char limit, increment the line, repeat until done?

>coming to agdg for feedback
doing it wrong

not really sure how game maker structures its stuff, but just create a OnSkipText function in your Dialog object that finishes the text dialog from whatever point its on

Reddit.

Honestly i've been here about a year and I eventually you will hit a point where there is nothing to gain from (-MOST-) of the posters in this community.

You can still pop up in here every now and then but you def should hit reddit for unlimited shill works combined with tumblr + twitter

I didn't even know there's a splash screen, never tried exporting a game before, always run from the editor. But anyway, if it's ugly just make your own or put a "powered by Godot" in the title screen/ending credits. Even if it's not ugly I'd prefer doing that over leaving default stuff in the game.

literally how do you use reddit? i assume you mean /r/gamedev?

you can't post constant progress updates except maybe once a week in the screenshot saturday thread (where it gets buried under hundreds of other posts with no replies), half the threads are about mobile/advertising shit, etc

tigsource, tumblr, etc. i could understand but reddit? how?

it's a meme you dip
you only go to reddit to shill the ready product

Literally over 200, if we go back to when I first downloaded Game Maker 5 when I was in middle school.

If we're just counting projects that had legitimate potential, maybe 5.

this is what 1 month of progress and learning 3D looks like for me.

I hope the next character takes way less...

you only go to reddit to shill

The product I work on got GPLd this week