Thinking about getting a Subaru WRX STi. Thoughts?

Thinking about getting a Subaru WRX STi. Thoughts?

I'd like a sporty car with AWD (if it snows, my workplace becomes a shithole). I've gotten stuck a few times in both FWD and RWD cars.

I don't know much about cars so please feel free to call me an idiot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtry6Cn8pEA
trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11537.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why sti? just get the wrx

The options kind of looked nice but it's not like I *need* them.

Get good tires faggot.

It's an awesome sports sedan and will definitely not leave you stuck in the snow. However, based on you saying "I don't know much about cars," I'm going to assume you are not an auto enthusiast. You may find the ride of the STI to be a bit stiff for a daily driver. Chances are you also won't want/need the SI-Drive and DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) systems found in the STI.

The STI is more marketed towards auto enthusiasts and people who enjoy driving. You may be better off with a WRX as a daily driver. It has a softer ride, better MPG, and has much better low end torque than the STI (of course the STI makes more power and torque at the top end of the rev range and is overall a faster car) which makes it easier to live with.

You should definitely test drive both the WRX and the STI, and see which one you prefer. If you feel the STI is worth the extra cash, go for it. I'm personally going to order a 2017 STI Limited in the near future, just having trouble deciding between World Rally Blue and Lapis Blue Pearl. It's a great car.

The motor will fail completely (spin a main bearing or worse) within the warranty period and Subaru will make it seem like it's your fault. They do this even when zero modifications have been made. I've concluded it's due to Japanese business practices of not wanting to admit there are problems.

>mfw this guy has no fucking clue what he's talking about

SubaruIDF please go. This is well documented.

Is it 5 or 6 speed man?

Thank you very much!

>overpriced
>cloth seats
>4 door
>vape fanboi car deluxe
>did I mention it's overpriced

If it was like low $20k it would be okay, but they want almost $40k for that shit

>i'm thinking about getting X, thoughts?

What the fuck are YOUR thoughts you cockmunch

people that get a little too hype about dat 4wd grip tend to push things catastrophically too far
same thing goes for any over tired car but its worse among amateur Subaru owners

and the car will understeer unless forced to do otherwise
not overly so but its still there and this tendency can be can be altered by adjusting the torque split the centre dif

Cloth sears are nice, and 4 doors is really practical.

>just having trouble deciding between World Rally Blue and

don't do it whore

youtube.com/watch?v=jtry6Cn8pEA

>I've gotten stuck a few times in both FWD and RWD cars.
Sounds like you have a problem that AWD won't solve.

I have also seen time and time again problems with the never sti's. Should be evident just on craigslist. Go low mileage Hawkeye I guess if you can't resist.

>I don't know much about cars

That much is obvious, get the STi!

Link?

If you aren't an auto enthusiast, then you're buying the wrong car

Mfw base civic is like 22k. How would you compare a well built enthusiast based sports sedan with superior power train suspension and everything else to an econobox. I personally drive a 2007 wrx swapped but will be getting a wrb 2017 sti in the near future theres nothing like it. Just like the jeeps. Theres nothing it compares to.

Have you considered the new focus RS?

No ecoboost memeing but it's 50hp more and looks better, especially in that flat gray.

t. assmad americuck

I would advise anyone interested in the Focus RS to read this, it's long but informative: trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11537.0

Personally I prefer the full time AWD of the Subaru over the Haldex-style AWD found in the Focus.

Plus you're going to have a hard time getting one at MSRP, the supply has not yet caught up to the demand and dealers are taking advantage of it while they can.

It's not a bad car, I think it is just quite overhyped. I still would like to get my hands on one to test it out and see how it compares to the STI myself. Maybe it is a superior driving experience.

Fuck this guy and fuck you if you think that you're a car guy because you watch fucking YouTube and work on your fucking civic.

Where'd you get 22k from?

>that smashed exhaust pipe and no rear diff

What the fuck, man

So well documented no one knows about it or has sources. The head gaskets fail around 100k but that's not complete engine failure at all.

That's still way too much for that ugly heap of shit. I get why people like these as as a dd but as an enthusiasts car... Come on.

for the money they aren't worth it anymore, sadly. The mustang and the camaro have utterly raped these cars into obscurity. why spend V8 money for a high strung inline four that looks like a boring sedan when you could just have a V8 that rapes it on the straights and on the track. the evo is dead for a reason and the wrx/sti will follow if they dont change the styling and give it a brand new engine. and said engine needs 350-370 bhp.

i was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a STI but after the performance numbers of the new camaro where released i waited. now im waiting for the delivery. why spend 38k for 305 hp when i can spend the same amount and get 450.

I own a 2016 WRX and I absolutely love the thing.

their paint is fucking garbage though

Get winter tires you retard

>back into something
>hurr paint is bad because it got scraped

> Hit something
> Blame paint

Fucking come on man.

alright fair enough, but my older wrx had garbo paint (swirls galore), not even the best detailer could fix that shit

What's the best Subaru forum out there for tech info if you have a mid '00s Outback? Could't find a Subie general today.

The civic probably gives you the best bang for your buck in the segment.

>Peepee screen filter

Just end yourself

It actually helps my eyes not burn, I also noticed I fall asleep faster. The power of the meme is strong.

The current STi isn't worth the price.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great sports car, but compared to the competition in that price range it is lacking. It essentially uses the same old engine as the 2004 model, and the interior quality is far below the Golf R or Focus RS.

The regular WRX is actually a much better buy at the moment. It uses a brand new modern 2.0 engine with direct injection and a twin scrolling turbo. It makes more low-end power than the STi so it is funner to drive in most everyday situations. It also gets MUCH better fuel economy and is almost on par with the STi in a drag race.

When you buy the STi you're pretty much paying for the advanced suspension and drivetrain upgrades. The latest WRX has made the engine power gap pretty minuscule.

These.

I've been through 8 inches of unplowed snow in a Cavalier and not gotten stuck. Tires and ground clearance are what keep you moving in the winter, AWD just makes it easier to live with shitty driving.

AWD admittedly will help you with getting going, but doesn't really help much with the whole stopping and turning thing. Generally see a few Subarus of various models off the side of the road immediately after a stop sign during the winter, along with quite a few trucks.

Also, sporty cars are generally lower than normal, which hurts the whole ground clearance thing. If you don't drive early mornings or late nights when the plows aren't out it isn't a big deal though.

In short - don't limit yourself to AWD if you find something else you like better. It helps, but not as much as good tires do.

I'd rather have snow tires and FWD than all seasons and AWD if i'm driving in snow.

Ok so I also wanna get a WRX STI but I don't know the difference between the three

Whats the real differences between the 4 different variants?

The Impreza WRX
The Impreza WRX STI
The Impreza STI
Or the regular Impreza

>Mfw base civic is like 22k.
yea for the EX-L model

That is pretty much my only complaint with the STI, it needs an updated engine.

the WRX alone is not an STi. a regular impreza is not turbo.
The 'WRX STi and STi' are the same thing.

I think now they dropped impreza as well, so it's just WRX STi or STi.

But as others have said the WRX is the better bang for your buck at the moment

ok so a WRX STI are the same thing

but a regular WRX isn't?

So theres only 2 variants now because they dropped the imprezza name?

so there is a regular impreza that is a slow family car. The WRX used to be called the 'impreza WRX', but in recent years they now just call it the 'WRX'. The 'WRX STi (most people just call it the STi)' is the higher performance version of the WRX.

So there are three versions:
-The family car impreza
-The sports car WRX
-The souped up sports car the STi.

If you are looking at used models you'll see 'impreza WRX' or 'impreza WRX STi', but they are the same as the WRX/STi.

So in terms of performance the WRX doesn't have a turbo, but the WRX STI does? Is that the only difference or is the engine bigger on the STI or any of that?

I'm going to assume you're talking about the latest 2015+ generation.

Regular Impreza
>Normal economy car
>Sedan or Hatchback style
>All Wheel Drive
>2.0L NA engine making 148HP
>25/34 MPG

Impreza WRX
>Performance model of the Impreza
>Sedan only
>All Wheel Drive
>Stiffer suspension
>2.0L Turbo engine making 268HP
>23/27 MPG

Impreza WRX STI
>High performance model of the Impreza
>Sedan only
>All Wheel Drive
>Really stiff suspension
>Limited slip differentials
>Ability to change front rear power split
>2.5L Turbo making 305HP
>17/23 MPG

There are probably other performance differences, but those are the major ones.

thanks for this information

I was literally googling "Subaru Impreza WRX STI" and couldn't wrap my head around the differences or if there was a difference in any way

In your opinion how does this compare with the Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer EVO?

They both have turbos, the wrx is a 2.0 litre and the STi is a 2.5 litre with a tighter suspension and more control in the awd

This guy is so fucking boring. Every video he does just puts me to sleep.

Are regular Imprezas good as just basic commuter cars?

yes

That's literally what it's for.