/hhg/ - Hot Hatch General

A thread to discuss about Econo-Pocket-Rockets. Regular hatches welcome too.

>hatchback questions and answers
>post your pocket-rockets
>you adventures with it
>what have you fixed recently?
>what upgrades do you plan in it?
>post anything hatchbacks

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take off on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Last Thread - → (Just 4 posts. What happened people?)

Current Hot Hatch Star of the Week - Nissan Pulsar Nismo Concept

Other urls found in this thread:

caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-photos-news
autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/08/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-finally-revealed-hits-dealers-this-fall.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for ecoboost

>be washing my Fiesta ST today
>some butch woman with a Focus ST washing her car in the bay next to mine
>she comes over and chats with me and is pretty nice
>tells me she wishes she got the fiesta instead of focus
>shoot the shit about cars for a few minutes
>invites me to a ST/RS meetup

sh-should I go?

Can you show me some HH with RWD?

Not looking for a race car, but I'm possibly looking at buying a Focus. Why the fuck do I have to get the "Titanium" package just to get leather seats? In fact you can't get leather seats with any car without paying for a bunch of other shit I don't even want.

please go and make friends so you can get off this board

I have a 2015 Civic Si. I've been researching where to start in terms of squeezing more power out of it and naturally I thought CAI. But after going to multiple forums, everyone says you HAVE to get a $700 tune for it to make a difference.

On top of that, a retune is $100 for every changed part. So I'd have to pay $100 and drive aroud for diagnostics every time I added a part. So, I feel like it's either save up $2200 for ALL the mods at once, or just say fuck it and try to pay it off to get something else.

Thoughts?

but you guys are my friends

Why wouldn't you?

Z3M Coupe/M Coupe
Ford Shogun

You can work with a dealer to order a car, but you won't get much of a price break. Dealer ordered cars always are loaded up on features because they can sell them at a higher price. No reason to order a mid-range optioned vehicle for them unless it's an order.

Some places offer tunes with unlimited revisions for life, but i don't know if this is a thing on the Honda platform. You might get a little more noise from an intake, but a tune will really unlock the most power in any modern car.

Ok, sounds like I need to get the tune then.

The 2 forums I went to both recommended VIT tuning as the most reputable for Honda Si's

But fuck. $700. Oh well

Also, will I be putting reliability in any serious jeopardy? After driving an E46 330xi, I'm REALLY enjoying the low maintenance of Honda.

>rice tax

I mean you'll definitely cause increased wear and tear extracting higher performance from everything, and you'll also jeopardize any warranty you might have left. But it'll also be fun.

Is that what that means?

i always thought it meant any given rice car was gonna be more trashed because of the people who usually drive/mod them

t. firsttimejapanesecarowner

tuners for fiesta STs offer unlimited tunes for around $300

well fuck me right

Just drove home my new car.
Loving it so far.

Congrats on your purchase and those trips.

You should go. It sounds like the start of an adventure!

Wait for the i30N.

>hyundai
>waiting when ford will surely fuck up the FiST and FoST on the next redesigns

just got to stage 1 in my FiST this past week. Installed the Cobb RMM yesterday, seems to be doing it's job well, much less wheel hop (almost completely eliminated) on WOT 2nd gear pulls.

I've read that there is no need to go to a 'stage 3' on this car, and that the only other thing it needs to unlock maximum power on the stock turbo is a new intercooler and pro tune. Anyone have knowledge if this is true?

I was planning to do a new IC sometime next year probably once I put my sticky tires back on after snow season.

Refreshed Fiesta looks bretty good actually.

caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-photos-news

Can confirm on a stock turbo Fiesta ST you won't see additional gains for anything other than an intercooler and a custom tune. If you're going to do a turbo swap you'll probably need a turbo-back exhaust.

Congrats on getting the RMM installed.

thx for the info senpai

also i'm going to the ST octane academy in October, anyone else been?

Fuark, anyone know similar two door hot hatches being sold in the US?

Is that a Scirocco?

The closest one is a VW R which is the only available two-door hatch available in the US I guess.

I think that's an OPEL Astra GT or something.

I mean Golf R.

>people unironically recommending the golf R

Something wrong with the golf R?

I want a Mazdaspeed 3 but I have heard people describe the experience as "more like an amusement park ride than a car."

Does anyone daily drive one?

It's 35k for a Golf with Haldex AWD are the general complaints.

Looks really good breh.

Astra OPC.

Better than just the straight FWD on the GTI, and apparently it's the only 3 door hot hatch

Thanks Famalam.

Those are some sexy white rims.

Okay Veeky Forums,

Ausfag here, should I buy a MK6 GTI?

i can only speak for my self, But i dislike the interior of VAG cars. Feels so plastic.

But say more, whats your budget?

About $25k

Seat leon cupra r 10-2013 is you like the VAG styleing.

Renault Mégane III 2.0T

Or a VW MK6, but make sure its not DSG.

Whats wrong with the DSG apart from the obvious that its not manual?

They break, simply put.

Just google "DSG Trans problems" and there tons of articles. But also, in a HH, you´ll want it to be manual.

pic kinda releated.

I wish I had the chance too, I was pretty busy the year after I bought my car unfortunately, never got a chance to make it out to Utah.

Not to mention, instead of selling certain parts, VAG only offers to sell you a reman tranny for a few grand. They won't even sell you a new one.

Is Geo Metro a good car to start learning manual? How will the maintenance costs be? Yes, this is gonna be my first car.

I bought a hot hatch, thoughts?

you made the right choice, enjoy it and may you find many twisties in your future

Growing up a bit and moving on from my RA65. Looking for a fun/lightweight hatch with a bit of storage space and usable back row. Can have 2 or 4 doors, prefer 2

Looks good user, the stripes are more subtle than in the stock photo.

Noice user. I like the subtle stripeing.

whats the power output in one of those?

197hp and 202lb-ft

The Mountune MP215 kit retains warranty and bumps it up to 215hp and 236lb-ft, though it has to be dealer installed ($$$)

How is the FiST on the highway? Don't imagine the Recaros are too comfy. Might have to go on a cross-country trips.

Still a terrible value.

Recaro's are super comfy on the highway, they just need to break in from the factory. I routinely have done 5-6 hour trips in mine and love it. It's also a super quiet highway, but pretty bumpy. Downsizing wheels helped me out a lot with ride quality.

Also the qt3.14 used to hate the Recaro seats, but now likes them well enough to ride in them on long-ish trips.

What's the latest about the new Civic Type R product model? wasn't there some shit about the one that got the 'ring record being a prototype or not production spec?

dynos have consistently shown the torque ratings are significantly higher than rated as stock. I think peak torque is actually 220-230 lb-ft stock as dyno tested by a few independant sources.

The cobb OTS stage 1 map should get you near 245-250 lb-ft of torque which is pretty crazy for such a light car and no (significanlt) modfications

New golf r when? Why no r400 ever?

dieselgate

Any reason not to pick up a Fiesta ST this year? I know there is a refresh on the horizon but people seem to think Ford is going to fuck it up somehow

No, the 17s will likely be very similar to the 16s. Though they might depreciate faster due to the model refresh, who can really know?

You might be best off finding a lightly used 15 or 16 instead of buying new.

The 2018s are likely to be quite a bit nicer inside though.

16's have the new SYNC which is better

Congrats man. Looks real nice.

what this guy said . Also android auto should be soon (tm).

The refresh is likely to be in 2018, i'm not too confident that ford won't fuck it up. They've got a great thing going. I don't see the engine changing but probably an interior/exterior refresh, which could be a problem if they add too much weight

Looking good man. Blue HH crew reporting in :) A friend of mine will take decent pictures are I get my coils.

This is my Scirocco.

just bought an 3' GTI VR6 a few months ago, any mods you guys suggest?

ECOBOOST

but for realz, a simple tune, is good bang for your bucks

2003* and here is a pic

Springs, ARBs, bushes...

silver isn't my favorite color but hope you have fun bud :)

Took my license in a Golf GTI, best car I've ever driven, only problem with it was the too sensitive breaks, if you moved the pedal half an inch it came to a full stop. Maybe I'm just used to old worn out cars.

you probably are; at any rate that's something that can be changed if needed. I recently drove my gf's car and told her I thought she needed new brakes because they needed so much more travel then my cars but she said that's always how it's been

New car. Already pumped a grand into it for services.

Just done at 120k
>Timing belt, water pump
>Serpentine belt
>Power steering fluid change, full synthetic oil change.

Parts ready, installation this week
>New radiator, new brakes and rotors, fix front left wheel bearing, raise front suspension to stop fender rub

To Do:
>New non rice deck, 10" spec built subwoofer and clean amp for tasteful sound and clarity
>custom diamond stitched hood bra to cover up minor blemishes
>Window Tint
>Gloss dip mirrors black
>sandblast and powder coat wheels gunmetal grey as well as brake pads in fresh red or color matched blue.

So far though im loving the car. Its old but it's fun to drive. Cant wait to work out the tint kinks and have a smooth ride.

>ecoboost

So this is the new 2017 Civic Hatchback.
> 1.5-liter DOHC direct-injected turbocharged in-line 4-cylinder with peak output of 174 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque in LX, EX and EX-L trims
>180 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque in the Sport and an all-new Sport Touring

>31/40/34 mpg (city/highway/combined) for CVT-equipped models

>The 2017 Civic Hatchback was developed jointly by Honda R&D teams in Europe and Japan and will be manufactured exclusively by Honda of the UK Manufacturing in its Swindon, UK plant.

Also forgot to add.
>6 speed manual

I could be wrong, but don't you have to get the CVT for any of the desirable engine configs? (outside of maybe the Type R)

I have witnessed VW manuals dropping shifter forks without any warning into the gears rendering the gearbox seized solid. Then again that is way less common than DSG just shitting its mechatronics.

Wooow that thing is ugly.

I think it looks quite nice, big improvement over the 9th gen hatchback, 2L diesel when.

Woah man, that looks cool enough. So does it mean the hatchback will cost more than the sedan?

It looks like an edged up Mazda 3... I wish japanese would return to simple and function designs, rather than trying to be exaggerated edge lords.

>not ecoboost

the article (autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/08/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-finally-revealed-hits-dealers-this-fall.html)
says that the LX sport and EX trims have an available 6-speed manual.

Might not be a bad option but holy crap it's ugly. I wish it was more.. hatchy with a taller back. It reminds me of the 2016 accord crosstour which is also ugly as fuck (pic related)

so that nissan in the OP, is it something we'll see in burgerland?

you to get the st
titanium is just the i am too dumb to buy a full size sedan trim

what the fuck am i looking at

Canadian here. 43k for a new gti 5 door in Ontario. Ugh what is happening to our currency