I like the Miata, but I'm worried about getting completely obliterated in a car crash

I like the Miata, but I'm worried about getting completely obliterated in a car crash.

Do you think a BRZ would fair much better? I also prefer the hard top and less body roll.

Other urls found in this thread:

iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/brz-2-door-hatchback
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Most modern cars are about as safe as they've ever been (Volvos not withstanding) but at around the 100-120km/h mark you're nearly guaranteed to get fucked up regardless of what it is.

I don't think unsafe vehicles exist anymore, user. They aren't allowed to be sold in North America.

Both vehicles will be perfectly safe but the 86 will be easier to live with. You could also wait for the miata PRHT if you want.

Subaru's are very safe but any crash has potential to kill

>Do you think a BRZ would fair much better?

Rollover crash standards in the US are extremely strict. It's part of the reason all modern cars have massive, pedestrian obscuring, pillars. Which I personally think will ultimately kill more people than they save. However, that's another debate entirely.

But convertibles are exempt. So if it flips you die unless you're thrown clear. I which case you'll still probably die.

Unless you are a superior miata driver like me and have a roll bar buckets and a 6 point harness.

It takes to bad drivers to cause a wreck

>tfw rear ended at a stop light I had been parked at for about ten seconds by a giant f250 going about 40mph
>tfw it wasn't even 3am or anything, it was a little before 8am and bright outside

In general that's right, but sometimes people just don't give a single fuck.

Unless you have a hans device and a helmet you are still likely to break your neck or severely injure it. Happened to somebody at a track my friend went to. Rip

Don't be such a pussy. If it's your time to go, a 1/8" sheet of metal over your head probably isn't gonna make a difference

The FR-S/86/BRZ have a top safety pick. It's the safest sports car you can get.
iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/brz-2-door-hatchback

Miata is kill

Subarus have a triple wall roll structure around the passenger compartment. They had to issue an infographic to fire departments on how to cut them open in a wreck/engineer points of access to cut with the jaws of life.

>It's part of the reason all modern cars have massive, pedestrian obscuring, pillars.
Saab didn't need those and you were as good as with a roll cage in them. Really makes you think huh

the miata's probably fine

>Really makes you think huh

It makes me think that Saab used thicker steel when everyone else just increased the diameter of the pillar to make it stronger.

Regulators will eventually figure it out after the rate of pedestrian fatalities keeps going up.

Pretty safe dude, I got rear ended in my FRS by some shitter and pushed into 5 other cars. Car was completely totaled, I walked out and the guy behind me in a rav4 went in a ambulance.

>Regulators will eventually figure it out after the rate of pedestrian fatalities keeps going up.

Not that the pillars are good things, but the problem in my area is gormless fucking peds wandering around with earbuds in and staring at their phones.

fuck man.

How badly were you injured?

>being concerned about crash safety results
normies bls go

Convertibles also have rollover protection requirements. But they have no way of preventing cabin intrusions so the only requirement is that they have a roll hoop that can support the weight of the car. You won't be crushed flat in an NC or ND the way you would be in a stock NA or NB.

Don't worry about it, you're less likely to be crushed to death flipping a Miata than a flipping Volvo brick.

The less body roll just comes from stiffer sway bars, which is a cheap and easy modification, but it doesn't actually make the car faster. That's why the Miata is faster than the BRZ around most tracks despite the power-to-weight deficit and massive body roll.

The swaybar thing is not true. You can add a stiffer front swaybar to a brz and improve the handling. I went from shit rank to theird place autocrossing by adding a nice bar

Care to post a diagram? Because that just sounds like there's three layers of steel, and the other part about fire fighters just sounds like bull shit unless it's all high strength steel.

Virtually not at all amazingly enough. The airbag cut my face, but that was it. It was early in the morning and my body was still pretty groggy, so maybe that had something to do with it. I always hear drunk drivers tend to come out relatively unharmed from collisions because their bodies are so relaxed.

The car was totalled though, the rear end was completely smashed in and the car itself went flying foward several feet.

>tfw was planning to drive that car until the wheels came off

>tfw the wheels actually came off
are you a psychic or something?

kek

>ITT "crash safety doesn't matter because you can still die in a safe car or survive in an unsafe car"
Sasuga Veeky Forums, this is a new low.