The holy grail of automotive technology, variable compression, with direct and port fuel injection. Thoughts?

The holy grail of automotive technology, variable compression, with direct and port fuel injection. Thoughts? autoblog.com/2016/08/14/infiniti-vc-t-engine-variable-compression-official/

Other urls found in this thread:

thekneeslider.com/honda-exlink-extended-expansion-linkage-engine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Too bad it will end up in a pigfat infinity

Inb4 ecoboost memers

Who here hype to swap one of these into a Miata

>I'm going to have to rearrange the warehouse to stock the parts for this thing
>AGAIN
FUCK.

the article said putting it in a mainstream model first would help increase adoption faster

It's still gonna be hooked to an 'economy' CVT. Chances of a performance CVT offering = 0%.

the rotating assembly looks heavy and complicated as fuck

Sounds like Nissan drivetrains in general

i was expecting more excitement this is serious shit here

WELP, I guess nobody on this entire board understands shit about engines, cause this is some majorly sophisticated shit, but nobody seems to give a rat's ass. This is the most advanced anti-lag system ever conceived, and is completely non-destructive to your turbo, but nobody cares? Tf?

I'm more shocked that you think anyone understands the nuances of compression ratios and antilag on Veeky Forums.

You're on Veeky Forums.

It's because it's not specifically for the motorsport master race... People get excited over things that will make race cars faster, not CUVs more fuel efficient

This WILL make racecars faster! Rally cars use a bangbang antilag system and have to replace turbos every race, this will prevent them from doing that, and formula 1 races can use this as an antilag system as well.

Who cares if it cant rev?
It is interesting but its usefulness will have to be proven.

Isn't that the exciting part? Turbos had to be proven once upon a time as well.

honestly nissan is probably making the best engines at this point

>VK is a god-tier v8, that has completly dominated LeMans
>VR v6 is amazing, both the GTR one and the one in the new Infinitis
>reliable diesels, fixed all their problems, useful on any type of pick up truck from mini trucks like the Navaras to Titans and UD trucks
>still make the TB inline 6 which is god-tier and can make above 1400 hp
>now this inline 4

Renault is truly making nissan great again

There's a handful of engines that already use a modified Atkinson cycle and it's pretty cool when you think about it. On the compression stroke, the valves don't close until a portion of the stroke is done. So say the cylinder is 500cc and combustion chamber is 50cc, when 500cc is compressed to 50cc and fuel is added and it explodes, it expands back to 500cc with a bunch of wasted heat and energy. If the exhaust valve stays open halfway through the compression stroke, you can compress 250cc of air and when it mixes with fuel and expands, it has enough power to push the piston all the way back down in that 500cc cylinder and this ends up in lower exhaust temps as well because the exploding mixture cools as it expands.

You need good variable valve timing with it though. I believe direct injection is really useful with the Atkinson cycle too. A true Atkinson cycle will make less power than an Otto cycle of the same displacement. But with more complex valve timing, the engine can act like a normal Otto cycle when full power is needed and then work as an Atkinson cycle when just cruising, idling, or decelerating.

Nissan is shit.

t. assmad GM fangirl

I really really like this engine
-same sex gender neutral asian couples

I'm not a fan.

Please don't group all of us same sex gender neutral asian couples together. It is offensive.

I think when you said "turbo lag" you actually meant "boost threshold" mate. With how effective modern turbos are nowadays, you basically have no lag, and very low boost thresholds anyway. For Motorsport, noone is going to give a fuck about a tiny bit more torque off the bottom end, as the engine is never used in that part of the rev range. It's also vastly more complicated for no real advantage.

Also, it won't somehow magically keep turbos spooled with no throttle input like antilag will, so go suck a long dick, and stop trying to pretend that you have a clue you faggot

-tripfag trying hard to be epic

>This is the most advanced anti-lag system ever conceived

I don't think having 10-15% more power before boost counts as anti lag lol

This system just dials back compression ratio as boost comes up, removing the need to compromise low-end fuel efficiency against top-end power. The anti-lag gains wont justify the top end losses form having all that extra reciprocating and rotating mass

So, you correct the term I'm using to a completely different thing altogether, then tell me that I'm wrong about what you were talking about? How about you just go kill yourself slowly, since you clearly lack basic reading comprehension skills. Since you obviously don't know shit, a twincharger is considered an anti-lag system, when it doesn't keep the turbo spooled, and nitrous is considered an anti-lag, where it as well doesn't keep the turbo spooled. An anti-lag system is supposed to give you the power that the turbo isn't giving you while it's spooling. Also, (you may have to use your finger this time) if you go back and read what you were replying to, you will notice that I said "Bangbang antilag" which is a form of antilag that does keep the turbo spooled, but that isn't inherently the goal of anti-lag systems.

Well I considered that as well, and you are probably absolutely correct, but if it's a hefty system, it'd be cool to see someone boost these things to the moon to try and get over that issue. I can see that being problematic for high-revving, though.

You still don't know what boost threshold and lag is. Boost threshold is the RPM at which the turbo will spool at full load. This is altered by nitrous etc.

Lag is the time it takes to go from no boost, to boost, with rpm high and zero to full throttle. Nitrous is not used for this.

This abomination of an engine will not help lag, it will reduce the boost threshold. It will not donit enough, especially with his efficient modern turbos are, for anyone to give a shit, apart from "muh mpgs".

Again, go suck a long dick, and perhaps try to understand terms before spouting them like you know something.

Huh, alright buddy, now I know. Thanks for informing me.

We're offended

Hey, that is a pretty good explanation, thanks.

I'm curious what it does as far as emissions though. I mean in my mind, you get a more complete burn and the exhaust gasses should be cooler but I'm not a rocket surgeon and weird shit happens when the lean is too rich or too cool.

Supposedly a bunch of cars already use an Atkinson-type cycle. I read that shit awhile ago but the Prius was one of the major cars to start using it and Mazda Skyactiv engines too.

No chevy 350 no care
Get your literal meme engine out of here

>lean is too rich or too cool
Sorry iz retard. When the mix is too lean or too rich. I think real lean mixes result in very high exhaust temps and fucked up gassed being produced

You probbaly still don't know, as you think you are right, but don't even understand basic terms. Carry on busrider.

>chevy

Did you miss the 350 part? R tard

chevy a shit

There are some other cool anti-lag techniques too. One of em is using an electric motor to spool up the turbo in the beginning.

I think another one actually used a really rich fuel mixture and playing with valve timing where it resulted in extra air fuel mix burning and expanding as it left the cylinders and traveled through the exhaust manifold. So the exhaust manifold and tarbo was almost acting like a turbofan engine when they wanted it to spool up faster.

Can't remember where the fuck I read that one though. It was either a Volvo or Fiat engine I'm thinking, but sometimes I will search for one thing on Wikipedia and keep clicking links until I'm somewhere totally different and can't remember why I went there in the first place.

I wouldn't think mixture would be hard to control, that and spark are technically very adjustable as they are completely electronic and computer controlled. Cable timing is still tied to mechanical cams.

So from a quick read, the Nissan is an Atkinson at low load and Miller under load.

>I think another one actually used a really rich fuel mixture and playing with valve timing where it resulted in extra air fuel mix burning and expanding as it left the cylinders and traveled through the exhaust manifold. So the exhaust manifold and tarbo was almost acting like a turbofan engine when they wanted it to spool up faster.

sounds like your average anti-lag system

>not carbureted
not holy grail.
Combustion will never be as pure as 1 carb per 1 cylinder.

Oh this is gonna be reliable as fuck hahaahahahahaa old idea of an epicyclic crankshaft have been around forever, no one does it because it's a bad fucking idea to put into practice. Oh but I'm sure Nissan figured it allll out

Basically took Hondas idea which is based on efficiency and turned it around for another purpose. It's not going to be a very good engine, I'm sure of it.

thekneeslider.com/honda-exlink-extended-expansion-linkage-engine/

Never even read the OP article but after seeing this pic it is an Atkinson cycle but they made it way more complicated than everybody else. The other engines just open the exhaust valves or whatever on the compression stroke and lower the compression that way.

gunna be fun for maintenance/rebuild

Look at all those linkages!! If you thought one bearing per cyl wearing and increasing clearance over it's lifetime was bad, imagine at least FOUR little TINY bearings increasing in clearance- Yikes!

>Pure
>Carb
Purest is mechanical injection.
No throttle
No spark.
Just fuel injected into the hot warmth of compressed air in a cylinder.

Yea the VVT atkinson cycle is about as simple, practical and reliable as it gets. This Nissan shit is just asking for trouble

>injection
>pure
That's like saying a geriatric with an oxygen tank blowing in his nose is pure

Carbs let the engine suck in what it needs, nothing more.

Both are shit. The GTR doesn't trickle down to the normal cars. Literally every other car in Nissan's lineup is awful.

I do wonder what the failure rate is going to be like and specifically what brakes first. Should be fun

Carbs are trash

Your mom is trash

Stay assmad, cuck

it will just create more wear on moving parts, and become like a rotary. It'll be cool down at the burger shop to tell people you have it, but it will require a lot more dealer specific maintenance.

It won't change shit, it will cost more and still produce less than Mitsubishi got from a wizz bang four pot back in 1998.

>that arm gets stuck on high compression
>go-go turbo boost
>wam-bam-thank-you-mam
>just classical fix it again tony

saab invented variable compression decades ago
they patented it and ignored it

That's how you prevent other manufacturers from getting ahead with an R&D budget of $0

Different mechanism.

true
but nobody got excited when they did it. also of course its different. nobody wants to pay them when they have their own engineering dept
i said it was patented

>nissan
>dominate lemans
>doesnt have 18 wins

Group b cars in the 80s had better anti lag systems.

So what is the point of it exactly?

Sounds like a marketing exercise

>high compression efficiency at light throttle load

promising

>What is lmp2

Assmad gm fangirl detected

>Chevy wins: 0
>Nissan wins: 0
B..but I was first in some snowflake class. KEK. You either win the race or you don't. Porsche GOAT.

I want to see this at 100k miles