I was wondering, what's Veeky Forums's opinion on Fram oil filters?

I was wondering, what's Veeky Forums's opinion on Fram oil filters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
wranglerforum.com/f282/eating-crow-fram-oil-filters-and-my-visit-to-frams-r-and-d-facility-in-dayton-ohio-111282.html#/topics/111282?_k=qjgisg
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/#q14985876
motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I keep seeing them fitted on expensive classic cars and shit.
Fucking Jay Leno fits them on everything.

Garbage.

The only good ones are the Fram Ultras.

youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

Vastly improved in recent years, now one of the best.

>Bait.

wranglerforum.com/f282/eating-crow-fram-oil-filters-and-my-visit-to-frams-r-and-d-facility-in-dayton-ohio-111282.html#/topics/111282?_k=qjgisg

They're crap....but odds are they'll still do the job for you and not fail.

Still, for an extra buck you can get a way fucking better built filter.

>The subject of oil filters, like conventional vs. synthetic oil, is an emotional subject for many.

Really...?

can a better oil filter do anything for performance, or is this just something silly to argue about?

Mobil 1 filters are great tier
Just usually overpriced

>can a better oil filter do anything for performance
No but a shitty filter is more likely to fail and can cause engine damage.

>use purolator and AMSOIL filters forever
>no idea they were anything special

neat, how many horses have I been gaining?

For a buck less, you can get a Purolator filter that will be better than a Fram

napa gold or nothing

At least 0.7 vtechs per oil chang (VPO)

About 5-10. But since it's measured at the filter and not the wheels, it's about 2.

No, it won't increase performance. It could possibly stop loss of performance if the previous filter was complete shit and or clogged.

Absolute dogshit

>filter
>research
>and
>MARKETING

There have been some nice technical comparisons on filters- people have taken them apart and measured pleats, square footage of filter material, pressure valve materials etc.

Fram is garbage.
Less surface area of filter material, pressure releif valves that leak unfiltered dirty oil into your engine out of the box.
From what I remember this list follows actual research on filters.
Wish I had links but on mobile.

BTW, theres only a few actual filter companies (like tires)
Wix and the top tier purolators are made in same factory iirc.

Fix
Rt
Again
Mony

I've never had an issue with anything I've ever used a FRAM filter on that I could blame on the filter. They usually die of rust or transmission failure or a BHG. Nothing zi could blame a FRAM for. The only fail I've had that "could" have been oil related was my 76 LTD with 174k miles that started blinking the low oil pressure light at idle after I overheated it and cracked the head after not having the anti-freeze concentration up to par. It couldn't have been antifreeze contamination, must have been the shity FRAM filter.

>My infographic says they're bad FRAMfags BTFO

>I was wondering, what's Veeky Forums's opinion on Fram oil filters?

They were good, then they had production for many of their filters in china, and that was bad. They then moved assembly production back to the USA but use chinese parts. They inspect the parts now to verify they meet standards. So now Frams have good quality and remain affordable.

Frams come in:

1. Orange Can - Extra Guard standard quality
2. silver gold can - Tough Guard better quality
3. gold black can - Ultra Guard best quality

Ultra typically has a metal mesh that is also folded into the pleats of the filter. This makes them physically very strong. They resist blow throughs from repeated pressure surges from Eco type engines that start and stop a lot. Those engines have a lot of oil pressure surges.

I use ultra guard filters with my cars along with full synthetic oil as recommended in the oil database. The URL for the oil database is in the archived Veeky Forums oil discussion thread at:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/#q14985876

Purolators have a lot of "blow through" in their spin on canister filters. Fram is well-liked on the BITOG forums. Purolator earned a lot of scorn for ignoring the problems with the punctured filter media when multiple people who change their own oil also took apart the purolator oil filters. And in a significant number of cases, there were blow throughs. That is also significant because you can also have bits of purolator filter media floating through the engine.

>It couldn't have been antifreeze contamination, must have been the shity FRAM filter.

That's right. One time I ran out of gas. I blame it on that shitty FRAM oil filter. Anyways, Fram continues to be a USA company assembling filters in the USA so that they can have control over the quality of materials going into the filter. They no longer have them made in china like some other filter brands.

I wouldn't use the standard orange filter but the Ultra filters are good quality. I've been using them for awhile now with no issues.

I always use motorcraft filters but I do own a ferd.

>not having an engine that uses cartridge filters.

are vatozone and duralast in the same tier?

Fram is trash

Fucking
Rapes
A
Motor

Motorcraft is berty gud

>subjecting yourself to jew filters
They literally only exist to save pennies on filter production
Stick with screw-on, canister is a meme

>I was wondering, what's Veeky Forums's opinion on Fram oil filters?

Fram is a good filter now. It had a bad time for a while because they had switched to chinese factories to build their filters. They learned their lesson. So they switched back to making the filters in the USA. But they still use chinese parts such as the cans, seals, and filter media media. The affordable usa makers have all gone out of business for the most part just like you cannot find a usa TV maker for decades even if you wanted one. So fram just inspects the parts to make sure they perform as expected. Then those parts are assembled in the usa into the spin-on metal can filters.

People have been taking apart the 2015 and 2016 metal can fram filters and believe they are competently put together. As of 2016, purolator filters still have problems with filter punctures in their spin-on metal can filters and the company has been non-responsive for the most part and usually ignores complaints as others have posted. Purolators are made by the same company that makes a number of other filter brands, so those other brands may also have the same problems if their metal can filters were opened up and examined.

I just checked, those metal screw ons are cheaper, both for fuel and oil...

>links a five year old post

FRAM Test Lab Tour:

It is still relevant because it shows what Fram did to correct itself after moving back to the USA from Chinese factories. All the testing is necessary because they still get parts from China since there are no "affordable" USA parts suppliers left. Thus items need testing all the time to prevent the usual chinese trick of "bait and switch".

It is still relevant because the Fram technical director still appears on some forums and answers questions. You don't see that with other filter companies especially ones that use chinese factories unlike Fram assembling in the USA.

ITT meme opinions from people with no experience

my dad's used them on his cars for fucking ever. probably a million miles over all the decades. never a problem.

ive been using them for 15 years now on all my vehicles. never a problem.

i run one on my dsm with cheap dino oil, 3rd year over 30psi boost, now at 52psi boost, never a problem.

shame.

i only put vr1 20w50 in my dsm with oem filters. fuck a fram. If I'm buying a car and see a fram filter, a fram box, or anything that even looks like a fram I do a 360 and walk away immediately.

I like the rubber on the bottom, but I don't change my own oil anymore.
I use whatever the dealershit puts on.

its a shame that i and someone else i know have had a 100% success rate for years and years?

maybe the shame is you're concentrating on the wrong thing and someone is reliably faster than you with "worse" stuff.

I've been around the block enough to know fram is shit. DSMrs get a bad wrap for being as cheap as possible. Some things you can cheap out on.

I can assure you I'm not concentrating on the 'wrong thing'. The most important thing related to performance and reliability of a combustion engine is the quality of the oil and filter.

Also, what is "reliably faster" than me? Are we posting drag time slips now?

I knew someone just like you who swore up and down about how "he never had problems" and always used this shitty ass oil and filters, and I watched him blow an e46 m3 motor putting his shitty ass castrol in there. He then went on and put the same shitty ass oil and filter on his mild 500whp galant vr4 with an fp red build, and proceeded to spin a rod bearing. He then CONTINUED using the same shitty oil in a 2g awd 7 bolt and proceeded to spin more rod bearings. The funny part is, he will always blame some other thing, the motor wasnt built by him, the tune wasnt right, yadda yadda, and the only common factor is him and his shitty ass oil and filter. Dont get me wrong, some rotella t is legit, but fram is 100% absolute dog shit.

>fram is 100% absolute dog shit

yeah, well, thats just like, your opinion, man.

based on personal experience i know otherwise. i'll continue to use it.

You also forgot to put your disclaimer that you change your oil every 500 miles, which in turn you still end up spending more money than you save running literal shit.

Enjoy your low octane walmart gas though

when i have to use a spin on i buy k&n
i buy it for the nut. all filters should have the nut.

i havent changed the oil in the dsm in 2 years. dead serious.

you saw my boost level and assume i run pump gas? interesting.

>vr1
High zinc levels do more harm than good, see 540ratblog.

ethanol is sold at the pump homie ;^)

also haven't changed the oil in my DD since last fall. im really lazy with changing fluids.

e85 is not gas homeslice.

>oem filters
What is the oem filter on a DSM?

the oem ford motorcraft for my car is like $4 tops
i don't even buy fram for my lawn mower

mitsubishi.

fun fact, ANY mitsu oil filter youll find at the parts store will fit on a dsm. just different shapes.

thats for the concern, but im good. I've read most of the bullshit out on the internet. The other

>e85 is not gas homeslice.
15-30% gas homeslice :D

a mitsubishi branded something, probbaly denso or something.

wait you're supposed to change the oil? i thought that's only when you do an ls swap.

fuck my phone is really messing up.

The other one I've read was some "tech facts engineer" who thought he was the shit telling everyone to run 0w10 in everything. There is a reason why race cars run what they do.

well if walmart happens to sell e85 e78 e70 ill be sure to enjoy it as you suggest.

make sure you get their e98 blend, as it will probably equal out to e70 once you separate the water out

ya its annoying that its always advertised as e85 but around here its not that most time of the year. i fill up 5 gallon jugs of it in late September to use through fall and early spring.

e98, do want.

how many lbs/min are you getting with 52 lbs?

low 70s. id have to look through some old logs to see. turbine housing is way too fucking small, it really has no business being at that amount of boost, but it works.

hey bud, read that blog just for shits and giggles.

he claims that zinc content of over 1400ppm has shown to increase wear. vr1 contains 1200ppm. Looks like I'm good. based random mechanical engineers

Tha'ts pretty good. I get ~68 on 45 lbs on a .63a/r turbine housing lol. I want to try some meme divided top mount manifold but I'm building a rally car and cant devote resources to both.

10/10

>do a 360

So you spin in a complete circle?

Valucraft=autozone=duralast

They are all the same company

>newfag
And yes, then moonwalk

No Purflux? Tch.

The great thing is they are cheap. I just did the S197 oil change and I think it cost me about 3.30 for the filter. The Purolators were almost triple that.

They're fine, i don't know too much about the intricacies of filters but based on simple reading, the fram filter to a finer degree than basically every other major brand. The past 5 years they've reearned a solid reputation amongst enthusiasts and most online forums, but this is Veeky Forums and every brand is shit here

Don't let your memes be dreams.

Jay Leno changes the oil on each of his cars every month regardless of whether it was driven, so there's no chance for the cardboard endcaps to disintegrate. The paper filter media Fram uses is the same shit everyone else does.

>find a usa TV maker for decades even if you wanted one
TVs have pretty much always been made primarily in Japan and Taiwan, and to a lesser extent in South Korea and mainland China.

>Free water injection system for even more power and lower cylinder temps
Cool. I'll just add more fuel to compensate.

>watched him blow an e46 m3 motor putting his shitty ass castrol in there

castrol tws 10w60 is oem for the s54 bmws

fram filters wouldn't lead to spinning a rod bearing within a year, i'd blame the machine shop that put it together or a bad oil pump/pickup/pan

Vizio assembles in America i thought

>so there's no chance for the cardboard endcaps to disintegrate. The paper filter media Fram uses is the same

You're talking about chinese knock-off counterfeits, not about the genuine real Fram filters. Do not confuse chinese-made counterfeits with the real thing.

Fram doesn't use cardboard in their filters.

And the papers use manufactured fibers (synthetic) instead of wood pulp paper.

who is this guy and why should I listen to him?

>if it's not silicone it's garbage
>that k&n "wrench" is good for a crescent wrench

I'm not aware of vatozone having their own filters.

>I'm not aware of vatozone having their own filters.
Some have their own oils and other motor fluids though. For instance, O'reilly's has their own line of conventional and full synthetic oils. They even sell 55-gallon drums of their branded oil.

motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

it's about motorcycle oil/filters but there is a portion on how shitty fram is

>2003

and?

That's over a decade ago. Products change in that timeframe.

They use mainland Chinese panels. And that's hardly an argument that TV manufacturing is heading overseas since they're barely 10 years old. If anything it's an argument that TV manufacturers are coming to the US.

Must be somewhat decent, been to a few meets with a lot of Lamborghinis and Ferraris and for some reason they all use Fram filters.

How do you like Veeky Forums so far newfag?

Nice

Motorcraft is actually shit, and so is AcDelco. And mobil 1 is actually in the great tier.

>And mobil 1 is actually in the great tier.
It switched to chinese-made

>It switched to chinese-made
For affordability, almost all the filters seem to at least have their parts made in China. Some are assembled in the USA but many are also assembled in China. Please note that I used the wishy-washy word "seem" in a previous sentence. I am aware of that. But the info sources I have are not all up to date as of August 2016.

What was made in the USA last year might be made in China this year. Or production might be moved to the USA because the actual chinese factory opened up an office in the USA in order to obtain the "made in USA" statement, but the quality would not be much improved because the assembly was still done with cut-rate shortcut methods for max profit. Unless you have a company representive speaking directly in the news or in an online forum, it's reasonable to assume the filters are made with chinese parts. It's likewise reasonable to assume they are also assembled in a factory affiliated with a chinese company.

>That's over a decade ago. Products change in that timeframe.

Yup. Fram's pretty good now. It's the other oil filter brands that are going to chinese factories to compete on price.

A lot of products good back then are crappy now. Purolator took a definite turn for the worse. It's not like a lot of people with spin-on can filters will take them apart to look for puncture holes in the filter. But some people do, and a some filters do have holes.