Would it be possible to take a slave title bmw i8 that has flooded/water damage in its description on copart.com...

would it be possible to take a slave title bmw i8 that has flooded/water damage in its description on copart.com, strip the fuck out of it and turn it into a GT car?

basically all electronic junk, all dampening foam seats AC engine batteries etc, strip it to barebone components, then put it in a radical v8 with a Geartronics paddleshift. would it perform well or is this stupid?

So fucking stupid.

is it the weight of the car itself along with the complexity of the task? i just saw a ton for super cheap and was curious about turning it into a track car.

If you want a project track car just buy a miata shell for $1k and put an LS into it.

why the fuck would i do that? you may as well tell me to get a chinese knockoff shelby cobra.

Look up monster Miatas, they're really popular. Would probably be faster than your crazy i8 idea anyway.

my crazy i8 would be running a v8 that weighs less than the ls motor while making more power NA. when it's stripped it should be fairly light too. i don't see how putting a pushrod motor in a tiny convertible is less crazy. why are you so biased?

You may as well just buy a M4 GTS

Because my example has been done countless times and has proven to be a very impressive track car while remaining relatively cheap.
Whereas your idea would be totally experimental probably costing thousands upon thousands for something that might not ever work or run well at all.

for all the money you would throw into just getting the car running, I bet you could get 2 or 3 cars repaired and track ready with half of the headaches

radical racing has been doing their thing with v8s for a long time too. the i8 might be a unique chassis but i like a challenge otherwise i probably wouldn't be interested. to me doing the wrenching is a unique experience i haven't gone through a lot of and i see it as just as much fun as driving.

but would they be as good? i could probably buy a dozen civic hatchbacks for as much too.

>wrenching
You mean sawing half of the chassis out to make room for a V8? Then welding it back together 30 times whenever you fuck up?

>implying you can just saw off and weld carbon fiber

This is one of the most retarded ideas I've ever seen on this board.

It would probably be easier to throw a v8 in a tesla.

Isn't that the car where the hood breaks if you have one person open the hood unassisted?

Sounds like a good platform to modify. Just order a roll of triaxial carbon fiber on eBay and roll it out with JB weld for the epoxy. Use some old Hefty bags and a penis pump to draw a vacuum to cure the parts.

Should only cost you $500 and an afternoon.

depends on what car you get but I would have to see how much the i8 would be but dimes to dollars says that the chasis alone would be worth at least 1 clunker and a new engine

OP's idea is almost as retarded as the dream I had of finding a 90's 8-Series and stuffing the V10 from a E60 M5 in place of the V12.

honestly, mounting and packaging is going to be your downfall
for instance you probably don't want to drill pilot holes into the carbon fiber for engine mounts or whatever

suffice to say you'd have to strip ALL the electronics because none of it would work

except a tesla would be impossible to do that on without switching the entire suspension. the bmw still uses conventional i3 engine with a diff/trans.

Yea man that sounds like a good idea go for it

>fucking retard

hey man sick post i can tell you're being ironic but it's really sick nonetheless

>reddits

Switching the suspension sounds a whole lot easier than finding a place to mount the v8.

Plenty of room in a tesla, not so much in the i8.

>slave title

>Switching the suspension sounds a whole lot easier than finding a place to mount the v8.

explain to me how making a chassis/suspension integrated system apart and making sure all the bolt placements work on the swap is easier than making space for a hayabusa v8

sorry i should have known every bmw has that title.

>implying the chassis is made out of carbon fiber
Are you retarded? The chassis is still aluminum...

no it's not dumbass it's CFRP.

DAY 12: they have still not noticed i am a mini cooper

>butthurt
tiny delicate plastishit electrocars don't take well to regular maintenance, let alone modification.
Even discussing it is monumental waste of effort.

no no, you see it's not that it would be a waste of efforts, it's that in order to discuss it you would have to actually provide a counterargument. please, don't kid yourself into thinking you made a valid claim against it.

No... It's aluminum.. The passenger cell is CFRP. The Chassis is still mostly aluminum though dumbass.

But I have provided a counter argument. If you've ever wrenched in your life you'd understand.
Attempting this would be like trying to convert an iphone into an ak47.

>false equivalence
>counter argument

lol. stop it already. you're just projecting your lack of knowledge onto other people who are actually interested in gaining insight. kys.

If you have to ask the question you are incompetent to make it happen.

>why the fuck would i do that? you may as well tell me to get a chinese knockoff shelby cobra.

Because racing is a contest between DRIVERS and WHAT you drive doesn't matter if it's fucking effective nor should you care about something as expendable as a race car.

If ya can't afford to blow it up or crash, ya can't afford to race so stay home.

your logic is so stupid. you're not willing to put effort into making a great car and instead just tout blowing up an ok car multiple times. being effective wins you nothing. you may as well just be a conefag arguing that it's enough. or a bikefag saying it's enough. your content means you lack the interest to even be engaging in this discussion.

I'm laughing at you for not having the common sense to realize this is a stupid idea. There's no insight to be gained.
nothing will work and it'll be a botched hunk of shitty patchwork.

and all possible good this thread could have had is gone...
it's over
goodnight folks

i'm laughing at your persistent lack of argument.

shut the fuck up. you don't get to decide the thread being over. go to your bed and fucking die of sleep apnea.

im laffin

you sound like you're projecting your lack of finesse in doing any type of custom work by referring it to patchwork. wanna talk about it?

a flooded i8 for dirt cheap would be pretty valuable if the carbon fiber shell is intact along with the chassis. it could be a pretty decent platform for something. i mean the effort and cost of getting something similar would be quadruple the cost.

zero aftermarket is reason enough noob

then just DIY whatever mounting you need for aftermarket that are within specs. are you incapable of doing any work? you sound like the guy who wants amazon to drone ship an ls1 and drop it into the engine and then bitches that they didn't get the aftermarket ECU pre tuned. must be a shitty platform shitty aftermarket guys.

>ls1
>shitty aftermarket
your noob is showing

Even if that were the case, a shitty aftermarket is better than no aftermarket.

I just found this iphone in a puddle and I plan on turning it into a GT car, any tips?

That and the 7,000 laptop batteries, but you would save 1,200 lbs