Something's been bugging me for a while

Something's been bugging me for a while.
GM C/K trucks, even the newer Silverado/Sierra's.

You can't convert a 2WD truck to 4WD because the actual frame is different between the 2. Why is the frame different? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use 4WD frames on all the trucks?

And that brings up another point. All the lowering performance suspension is only available for 2WD trucks.

>inb4 lift it
I actually have a useable penis.

The frame is different because you're adding a fucking transfer case and axle up front, as well as the 4wd trucks are usually the heavy duty ones. Have you ever actually been under a 4wd truck?

You're also forgetting something, you lower a 2wd truck because it isn't going off road, it isn't hauling huge loads, it's usually a half-ton truck being lowered, they are great light duty/daily rides, and certain trucks look good lowered, they save the 4wd and 3/4 ton and up ones for the work rigs.

>implying a majority of the trucks aren't light duty 4WD 1500's

>2wd to 4wd on an XJ/MJ is literally drop-in from a donor
>1994
>still buying GM

>wanting a unibody "truck"

well that does explain why they arent a thing anymore

>dropping trucks
Spic detected
UP
not
DOWN

I'm whiter than sour cream. I just don't like lifting trucks.

He said drop, not hydraulics.

There's also a difference between laying frame and dropping.

>lifting your 2wd grocery getter

Just go get an Avalanche or Hummer 2, some of us actually use the bed of our trucks and don't need them sitting as high as a 2 story house.

This. Nothing wrong with lowering a truck..
I want to lower a 4WD because I live up north where 2WD trucks refuse to get traction in the winter.

What I'd really like is a modern ute/el camino, but you can't get those. I don't want an El Camino, I want something more modern. The only solution is to get a truck and lower it.
I just hate that if I want to lower a truck, it has to be a 2WD model.

Lowering the ride height isn't going to help your traction in a 4WD when you're making it easier to bottom out and get yourself beached on tiny ass snow drifts you fucking moron.

He's not lowering it for traction, he wants the 4wd for traction, then to lower it for utility.

I've seen a few lowered 4wd Duramaxes, maybe look in to a 2500 4wd gasser, might be kits available

buy 4wd, back off the torsion beams up front and pull the blocks from the springs out back. Problem solved

>He's not lowering it for traction, he wants the 4wd for traction, then to lower it for utility.
right. But lowering it also makes it look nicer IMO, and makes getting in and out more car-like. I'd get a more modern El Camino if I could but short of paying 30k to import one from Australia, it's not gonna happen. And even then, it would suck in the winter.

>I just hate that if I want to lower a truck, it has to be a 2WD model.

Why would you lower a 4x4?
Why do you think you can't lower a 4x4?

>Why would you lower a 4x4?
utility, looks, and practicality.
>Why do you think you can't lower a 4x4?
I can't find any lowering kits that aren't for the 2WD models. 4WD models have a different frame so 2WD lowering kits won't work.

And some of us have quarter tons and can't stand shin-high bed height.

nah just rev it a couple of times and the exhaust heat will melt the snow

Ylou missed my point completely.

The extra traction of the 4WD doesn't mean shit if he lowers the truck. Less ground clearance in snow isn't a good idea.

I see people get their Subarus and SUV's beached all the time because they thought lawlwheeldrive would get them through 3 feet of snow.

4WD doesn't help you stop faster either.

So you agree, fwd is inferior?

OP here.
I do perfectly fine in the winter with a lowered Saturn. I don't think lowering a 4WD Silverado is going to be any worse. I've never had problems with a lowered car in winter. ground clearance doesn't matter that much to me so long as I can get out my driveway and up/down the hill I live on without scraping anything. Said Saturn is lowered 2 inches, and it's not bad. Lowering a truck 3-4 inches isn't going to be as bad. still plenty of ground clearance.