So boys, give me good reasons why I shouldn't buy an e46 m3 as a fun daily driver...

So boys, give me good reasons why I shouldn't buy an e46 m3 as a fun daily driver. Currently driving an '02 GT and I'm looking for an upgrade in a few months.

Just make sure if you get one with an SMG see if the pump has been replaced and it's been well-maintained or you'll pay a shitton in maintenance

noted. Planned on avoiding the SMG simply because of its clunky nature and also
>muh stick

Good choice. Other than that they're great cars and super fun. Just keep up maintenance and it'll last forever

I can give you a dozen reasons to not have a 15 year old used BMW sports car that originally cost the equivalent of $60,000 as a daily driver

Reliability on a used BMW isn't the best:

This means cooling systems lose pressure and leak/break, bushings wear out or already are worn out, subframes tear, SMG pumps and power soft tops fail, valves need adjustment every 30k, etc.

Accelerated Wear/Tear from just commuting in it, in a car that'll likely get 17-20mpg, cost more than a average car to insure, and have expensive tires/brakes to replace. Its a waste to have a car like that and be stuck in rush hour traffic putting around.

Get a shitbox and buy a M3 as a second car, sure. Then its a great idea. But as a daily driver? Why?

Different guy in a different part of the world

Say perhaps, you could get an smg m3 with a rebuilt pump on the edge of your financial ability.
Parking in the city is near impossible, and registration costs far outweigh slightly higher insurances.

Would it be better to get a fucked e36m3 and say a w163 ml500?
And then never get to drive the m3 because it is several hours away? Or put up with one car?

what country do you live in?

if in the US maybe get a g35 coupe and a p71 (or a gmt800 tahoe if you really would want a suv as a daily)

better and far more reliable than an e36 m3 and an ml500

dd one for a year now, it's fun.

Check the usual stuff. I recommend getting one with the rear subframe reinforcements done. Replace waterpump, thermostat, hoses and possible radiator if it's not done already.

Valve adjustment is easy if you're handy. It just takes time due to lots of plastic covers. Mine even had a grid to prevent shims falling down.

m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=113415

Check m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=190111 for general maintenance

I'm currently running a square setup, so tires aren't that expensive. Feels better too imho.

Also, get some reinforcement plates for your rear shock mounts

It doesn't have a 350 in it

Too bad you're too naive to realise that the mechanics in the smg are exactly the same as the manual

>a G35 is better than a E36 M3

you get one or the other and take the bus/subway 90% of the time while your project car sits in a garage only for weekends

Even if it was the same mechanics that doesn't change the fact that it was bmw's first real shot at a DCT and it's just clunky in its nature, the manual is simply more reliable assuming you're not autistic and kill it yourself.

>take the bus/subway 90% of the time
>tfw i already do this
maybe i could upgrade my miata to something more interesting even if it's less reliable. hmm.

It's an SMG, not a DCT you autismo.
You have no idea what you're talking about, just shut the fuck up.

Memes aside as a person whose owned both, the E36 M3 is the closest thing there is to a upgrade from a NA/NB Miata. S2000 is too, but a S2000 is easily $10-15k while a nice E36 M3 is $7-12k.

Cons:

Reliability/Build Quality
Shifter Feel (atrocious in this car)
Twice the price of a Miata
Takes some work to be ready to be beat on after 20 years of neglect and abuse by normies (offhand: cooling system, rear shock towers, oil pump nut, rear trailing arm bushings and pretty much everything that could be made out of rubber)

Pros:

Even better steering feedback/response
Feels fun at low speed cornering just like a Miata (E46s aren't as fun imo, the E36 is ridiculously easy to "pivot/rotate")
Very forgiving at the limit, you could realistically mid corner just cut throttle and it won't try to kill you like a AP1/SW20 (I bought mine because its such a forgiving driving tutor, you'll merely just exit a corner slower than you could've if you drove better instead of dying)
Way more practical and comfortable, seats four
Engine is a complete gem, awesome engine note above 3000rpms
Gets decent mpg, 20-24mpg (about the same as my last Miata)
Still about as quick as a AP1/RX8/BRZ/FRS/350Z given equal drivers, despite the BMW being 5-15 years older than them.
Doesn't need much in terms of prep to be track capable once you're done fixing worn out plastic/rubber bits, squared tire setup and shocks?
Ginormous fucking aftermarket, only Hondas are bigger and tons of used parts
Community isn't full of broke Puerto Ricans like Hondas
It looks good.

>slower than a corolla

Thinking about dailying one as well, yearly here in New England, but they are so expensive for a good manual coupe.

I've had bad clutch feel problems, but the actual stick throw and feel was fine. Course with cars this old it's so hard to tel.

Just supercharge an E46 330, it's faster and significantly more reliable, as long as you buy an upgraded cooling system

The E36 is garbage compared to the e46 chassis in general, and having to consider buying a 16 year old M3 means you probably can't afford it

Also consider the price of insurance, it's 120$/mo more for me for a 6 speed E46 m3 vice a 330 sedan, and my insurance is pretty low considering that would double the cost of my 430awhp e90

I'm interested in how you think an E36 m3 is an upgrade to a Miata, considering it weighs literally 1000lbs more and is not a roadster.

Bear in mind before you start spouting the stupid out of your mouth what the entire point of a Miata is.

Sans subframe problems, this

1990s FR sports cars well known for their overall driving experience, unless by your logic a 1991 Mercury Capri is identical to a Miata with both being 2200lb roadsters

A 330i is not a M3.