Should the legal driving age be lowered to 16 in Europe...

Should the legal driving age be lowered to 16 in Europe? My brother and my cousin are both able to drive manuals and frankly, they both are infinitely more capable than some licensed "drivers" I encounter. Their reflexes are better than mine (I'm 26) and they're extremely careful (they never speed and they're constantly aware of their surroundings). I know because I'm secretely teaching them both how to drive but because of the fkin regulations they have to wait 2 more years. Discuss m8s

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch
seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/young-drivers-wait-to-get-licenses-with-dangerous-consequences/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was driving when i was 8-16 with no licence at all so yeah min driving age is a meme.

Basically its to keep the average mouth breathing 13-17 year old pimpleprick off the road.

Ausfag here we used to be able to get on the roads unsupervised at 16 and alot of youngfucks died/crashed and the govt raised it to 17-18 w/ power restrictions

Yeah you can get a moped at 17 and a learners permit at 17.5 here (constantly supervised), shit sucks.

Then you have the cops catching the unlicensed kids getting treated as national heroes, it drives me up the fucking wall when our own politicians treat the roads like they're waddling down to their fucking toilets (a minister got caught doing 200kmh and he almost got the cop fired for daring to pull him over).

Ummm I think most guys that cpuld legally drive at 16 who are older than 25 can look back at shit they did in cars when they were 16 and think... I was a fucking idiot.

I know I was.

Should it be lowered, probably not. But im still for lowering it because life lessons and mistakes are best learned young. Just don't kill anyone else while doing it.

No, because teens are shitheads and the only reason the driving age in Murrika is so low is because over there you're dependent on driving and parents want to stop chauffeuring around their kids as soon as possible.

>Just don't kill anyone else while doing it.
But that's the thing. Teens are incapable of judging whether they're endangering others, or they are capable but they're risk takers out to prove themselves because puberty and hunger for wet pussies.

I've been driving since I was 15. I did some stupid shit back in the day, but even at my absolute worst I was never any worse than the average woman.

No.

If anything, it should be raised to 18 to stop my insurance being so expensive.

No
You can drive any car you want from 17 (if you pass at 17 and are able to get insurance) and most 17 year olds and 18 year old appreciate just how much damage they can do in their 1.2 litre Corsa

The more important question is, at what age should a drivers license be revoked? 75? 80? Old people are consistently the worst drivers.

Mandatory impairment testing every five years from 70 onwards.

this
Something like 27% of the people who live in my town are over 65 which is actually like one of the highest in the country, but the police have said that something crazy like 70% of the accidents they have attended have involved someone over 65

No. 16 year olds drive like shit and/or asshats. But actually, let them drive and kill themselves so natural selection can do its thing.

>kill themselves
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

Well that was easy.

> Standing around a disabled SUV
They deserved it.

in some US states you can get your license at 14 years old, do you have to be 18 in Europe?

depend on where it is

In the UK, you can apply for a provisional licence when you are 15 years and 9 months old, but you can't use it until you're 16. You need 'L' Plates on the front and rear of the vehicle.
Even then you can only drive mopeds and small quad bikes and can't carry passengers.

From 17 you can drive a car, but only with someone that's 21 or older and held a licence for that transmission type for 3 years. Same thing with L plates. You can't tow anything unless your provisional explicitly says that.

There are no restrictions like speed or engine size for cars for new drivers, but if you get 6 points within 2 years your licence is cancelled and you have to retake your test.

I think in Northern Ireland it's slightly different

My god Europe really is total shit
Canada has it right

Same in Germany but no L plates and you can carry passengers

I really don't understand the concept of licenses for different transmission types. I mean, if you can get a manual transmission car rolling, you're qualified to operate a manual transmission. If you can't, you won't be on the street in a manual anyway so why bother making it illegal?

Honestly I'm not sure
I've just accepted that there are Auto only licences and Manual + Auto licences here in the UK, and then only Manual + Auto licence in the US

To stop someone with no idea how to use a clutch from killing people by trying?

>Killing someone by grinding the gears
here's your (You)

If a teen is a shithead, their shithead level will only increase until they lose all testosterone and become totally subservient to anything that looks like authority. You know this.

Teens are incapable of accepting that other people are stupid when it means they're doing something wrong without going full fedora and saying that stupid people don't matter and shouldn't be there.

>Teenage edgelords
>What do you mean it's unsafe to go 80 here!? Those idiots should just drive on the right! Every road could be the autobahn if you stopped letting these stupid americans drive! The majority is at fault for being stupid and authority is at fault for enabling stupid people, I'm just living life like it should be lived! Fuck everyone who isn't like me!
>Teenage edgelords 10 years later
>lol cops don't even bother trying to catch my literbike at night

>Killing someone by blowing out the engine with an accidental 4-2 downshift and becoming a disruption in traffic
>Killing someone and themselves by stalling while making a yield-on-green left from the middle of the intersection
>Killing someone and themselves stalling the car and losing power steering because "you need to downshift when you slow down?"

>Implying they'd get that far
You're fucking retarded m8

No m8, people are fucking retarded. I know people and of people that did all that, albeit with no deaths.

Honestly I think Europeans should have all the government and regulation they ask for. Hopefully soon they'll lose internet privileges as well

We're not talking about fucking mental ward patients you niggers, fully functioning 16 year olds have the ability of critical thinking and their inexperience renders them extra careful and concerned

>killing someone by stalling
now I know you're fucking with me

BE IN AMERICA
15 YEARS OLD, LEGAL DRIVER
>MURICA 1 - EUROPE 0

>If you can't, you won't be on the street in a manual anyway
Don't underestimate the stupidity of people. In the US alone every day people who have never driven a manual before are going I WANT A MANUAL SPORTS CAR AND I'LL PRACTICE IN EVERYDAY DRIVING.

The stalling precipitates the accident.

I'm from america. Do you really think people that stupid don't exist? You have chavs or something, right?

>fully functioning 16 year olds have the ability of critical thinking
Fully functioning 16 year olds have the ability to think with their sexual organs, followed by doing what their friends are doing, followed by doing what they see on the internet.

Unless they have no friends and can't get laid

>>Killing someone by blowing out the engine with an accidental 4-2 downshift

>UK
>Europe

Don't judge everyone in Europe based on the UK.

Here (Slovenia), you can get a car driver's license at 18.

To get it, you need to complete a first aid course, theoretical test, a minimum of 20 hours on the road with a licensed instructor (maybe this amount has increased, haven't been following this much), and you need to complete a course on safe driving. All of this in a manual car. Only after that can you apply for a drive with your instructor and an official evaluator. If he is happy with how you drive (can take up to 1 hour, depending on what kind of stuff he wants you to do) then you pass.

For the next two years after passing, you also can't drink anything (0.0% alcohol in your blood) and drive. If you do and they catch you, your license is revoked.

kek you got me

damn samefagging so hard

Here in Canada you need:
A knowledge test
then 9 months in which you need a licensed driver at all times
Then a road test
Then 15 months in which you can't drive past 12 am

Slowhonia?

At least that's how it is in my province

KEKED

No instructor stage, just straight to (for example) parent-child teaching/driving for 9 months?

Looking as some parents, I wouldn't trust them with a bicycle, let alone teaching a child to drive.

Most people do that stage in Driver's Ed classes, which are offered at most high schools

You've never driven a manual. Please stop talking.

So? What's the problem? When you come up behind a Miata stuck at a stop sign for 5 minutes you just enjoy a sensible chuckle and reminisce about when you were first learning. Then you continue on your way.

1. open google
2. type Slovenia (or copy/paste)
3. ???
4. profit

We used to make Renault Clios and make the new Twingos (rwd twingo!).

I see we are not so different after all.

Thanks Leafman.

No problem buddy

NaH it should be increased to 21. way too many crazy kids on the road [spoiler]including myself[/spoiler]

M8 do you live in Cyprus by any chance? I think I heard about that minister once and the laws are the same, I live in Paphos

Ela re malaka nai, menw Lemeso

There's more to amateur shifting than stalling at stop signs. It also draws away your attention from other things.

I read an article that said drivers that start driving at 16 end up being better drivers throughout their lives compared to someone who started at 18 or 21.

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/young-drivers-wait-to-get-licenses-with-dangerous-consequences/

Σkάσε

Σkάσε

But the article delivers no information to prove its claim, only a vague assumption because drivers under 18 are subject to more restrictions.

The only number that is clearly covered is that people who never take classes make worse drivers which is the most self explainatory thing in the world.

Τσεkτ

Σkάσε

>It also draws away your attention from other things

Lol are you literally retarded? I don't think I consciously thought about shifting for more than the first day or two of driving stick.

Not to mention the fact that people are on their cell phones all the time, which is infinitely more distracting than moving a lever and pushing a pedal.

Φάουσα

>this one thing that is also dangerous totally excuses this other thing that's dangerous

Σkάσε

For about a week. Then it becomes so ingrained in your memory that you try to shift automatics by hear and go to stomp on a clutch that isn't there.

I drive one every day

i tried to teach my sister and she did that last one

16 year olds wanna go fast

heck even 20 year olds go fast

What exactly is shit about what he described?

If you don't have a license you need someone who does in the car with you, otherwise you can do what you want.

>16 year old gets license
>takes friends for a night out
>everyone eggs him on to go faster because they're 16
>car goes into ditch/other car at 70mph

So, she was in fifth gear going under 20 mph, presumably with her foot already on the brake, aimed herself right at a person and didn't bother to brake the rest of the way, and you're blaming it on the transmission?

It really doesn't. By the time you can consistently start from a standstill, shifting gears is second nature.

70 is a pretty safe speed.

try 90+ in a shitbox that can barely handle at those speeds unless you know your racing lines and don't give a fuck about "lanes"

She stalled going up the driveway in third and rolled over a cat

I got my permit at 17 years old, license 6 months later. Before i got my permit I started off really rough but I got much better. Here I am a year later, just got back from driving on a highway with torrential downpour in one piece. I'm a good driver. Haven't been in an accident yet. I don't do stupid shit, the worst thing I do is speed sometimes. When it comes to driving I don't really think age matters much, all that matters is maturity and to be tall enough to see over the wheel and reach the pedals and shit. Just stay calm, think, go the speed limit, use your FUCKING BLINKERS, and don't tailgate. Boom, good driver

freeways should be the autobahn desu

Idle in third is usually around 10 mph. If you're going slower than that and the engine stalls, you're probably going to stop as if you hit the brakes, between going uphill and engine braking. Even if you continue to roll slowly, just hit the goddamn brakes. They'll still be boosted if the car just stalled. And hell, even if she hadn't stalled, there's not enough room on a driveway to reliably dodge a small animal, since they're likely to dart quickly in either direction. If she just tried to steer without braking, she would be just as likely to hit it as if she just steered straight and let it get out of the way on its own.

tl;dr: this never happened and you're a retarded faggot. Kill yourself.

In Australia we get learners at 16 which means we can drive but you have to have a fully licensed driver with you and you have to get 75 hours experience , then when your are 17-20 you have your Ps where you can drive alone with a whole load of restrictions like only allowed 1 passenger and no performance modifications even a pod filter is illegal

Something tells me you work for the Australian government or a current affair