What does Veeky Forums recommend I do to revive an old motor with 20k miles that has been sitting in disuse for 20...

What does Veeky Forums recommend I do to revive an old motor with 20k miles that has been sitting in disuse for 20 years?

Specifically I recently acquired a barely used but old, 1985 gas motorhome and want to fix it up to last a long time since I'll be sinking at least 10 grand into upgrading it to livable status

Other urls found in this thread:

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bermagui/campervans-motorhomes/1985-other/1118338661
youtube.com/watch?v=25UTCijPHjg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Alrite Mr White

pour a bit of oil down each cylinder before trying to turn it over
get it running then cook meth in the Sonora.

Replace everything rubber and all fluids. Rebuild could be a good idea, but check for compression and spark.

Besides changing all fluids, what should I look out for?

All I know at this point is "it runs"

Compression
AFR
does it burn oil more than 'normal'?
Leaks?

Pics i never get to see these down under they interest me

>sudden urge to become boomer hermit
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bermagui/campervans-motorhomes/1985-other/1118338661
Help

Someone I know who got a similar one had to replace the transmission seal, is that going to be pretty likely to need changing? That's beyond my skills

>Stick blocks of wood under trans
>???
>Drop trans
>Jack it back up after ur done with the rear main or whatever
Doesnt seem that bad

How do I go about measuring the air fuel ratio?

See if it's leaning out or running rich the sparkplugs will tell you there is a bunch of guides out there

NIgga, no

The easiest way to tell is listen to the exhaust,

here's a good example.
youtube.com/watch?v=25UTCijPHjg

You can also get meters for this job.
Generally you want a stoich mixture.

That's actually pretty badass, looks like a rock tour bus

When you look at forums and see those guys who restore their vehicles to original condition from just about scrap status, you really get a feeling of overwhelming autism as you sift through pages upon pages of sandblasted and repainted trim pieces that'll never see the light of day. Then the body comes off and it's rinse repeat. You notice the entire build has gone on over something like 3 years. All the while you think to yourself, "damn, just for an old X?".

And then there are guys who restore old RV's. I can't even imagine the kind of work it'd take to restore all the wood paneling, veneer, what lies beneath the floorboards, water damage, rats nests, earwig infestations, asbestos falling into your food and shit.

Get out

>And then there are guys who restore old RV's.
WITNESSED

Scrap it, buy another.

Same goes for the 20 years neglected interior and exterior.

Buy a complete hose kit and replace them all
Replace every filter and every drop of fluid
Run some injector cleaner through, consider new fuel line
Test if any brake elements are going to fail before you go highway speeds or steep inclines

Lol

Right, like any yuppie just spend 150 grand then sell for next to nothing to the next bloke that is willing to spend a few grand on repairs. The upholstery does have to be changed though, that is one the the first things, next the carpet, I don't want to haul a vacuum cleaner around

I fully expect to replace everything over time as I customize it to my needs

In my defense I am not trying to restore to original condition, even a new rv requires considerable additional investment in order to make it a full time livable solution.

You're gonna need to get all its propane hardware professionally serviced.

same for plumbing

How can I know what needs service instead of just telling someone to give me a bill as big as they choose, also what can be done with a bit of research and what needs a 'professional'.

OP, RVs arent built to last. You think you will spend 10k fixing it up? You will go well over that. Soon as you start uncovering the rotten plywood underneath youre refurbish costs will go up 50% easily and may God have mercy on your soul if you discover that the wiring is rotting away and need replaced.

You should spend that money on something that isnt halfway to the scrapyard m8.

>youre
use it wrong no matter what.

linked wrong post.

Probably, I may just create a separate electric system when the solar is installed, I will have to study more about that

You should've bought a converted bus for 10 grand. But dumbasses are going to be dumbasses and buy low quality RVs instead.

A bus that has been all used up before they want to sell it then I'd have to settle for whatever quality conversion or do it myself which I wouldn't be able to do incrementally. No, I prefer something made for this purpose

Have no recommendations, but that sounds like a really fun project. I have a friend that lives in a van and he really likes it. A RV that you can walk around in and have a place to sit would be even better.