I can't decide. TR6, spitfire, mgb, alfa spider, or fiat spider

I can't decide. TR6, spitfire, mgb, alfa spider, or fiat spider

I want a 70s roadster which one should I get?

Inb4 wat car iz gud

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4FageCtKA0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MGB if you can find one in decent condition. Most of the ones I see for sale are rusted to hell though.

I have a tr6.
It is certainly the most gutsy of the 5 you suggested.

The spitfire is pretty underpowered. The MGB as well. The alfa might be the most fun to drive, on the rare occasion it works. The fiat had a turbo charged option in the early 80s.

For me it would be the tr-6 or the alfa. Do you want grunt or poise.

Alfa Spider or Fiat Spider
Everything else a shit.

>what car will make me look more like a redditcuck who watches dr. who

any of them will do tbqhf

If it was me, i would go for the spitfire
but nothing objective in my choice, my dad had a dark green one when he met my mom
btw, it was the first thing she made him change, confort is not even an option in such cars
ok it's underpowered (that's the purpose of the spitfire line against TRs) but still a funny ride in summer, plus you can buy a functional one for less than 600€ (expect rust and some mechanical troubles in near futur)

Fiat Spider and TR6 look the best. The Fiat's probably the most sane car to work on though. GLHF with the Triumph.

Tr6

I used to own a spitfire 1500. Loved that car but the tr6 is the way to go.

just follow your heart and pick anything you like the most
in the end you will regret this

if you did your research you probably read that roadsters were dying out before the miata came out, and these aren't the empty words
it's mainly because of their absymal realibilty
pretty much all of the roadsters were unreliable, rusting pieces of shit

either prepare your anus for a proper restomod or don't bother

Don't get a deathtrap roadster.

TR6 It's James May approved.
youtube.com/watch?v=4FageCtKA0g

How is maintenance on the TR6

Personally, I'd get a Triumph TR7 and swap in a GM 3400 V6.
>Dat wedge

tin bumper 2.0 spider veloce or 1.8 124. others are tractors

I know it's probably heresy, but I dream of getting an old roadster such as the ones your talking about and putting it on an NA Miata chassis.

Japanese reliability and performance with classic British looks. A winning combination I think.

>I can't decide. TR6, spitfire, mgb, alfa spider, or fiat spider
Forget the TR6, Spitfire, and MGB.

The Alfa or Fiat Speeders are on a whole different level.
The British cars were not meant to go fast or handle like a sports car.
The engines were pretty slow and usually borrowed from boring passenger cars, though the TR6 isn't actually slow at all.

If you want to go fast in in a British Roadster, you will have to beat on it like a cheap shitbox, and will be constantly battling against the car.
This is a big contributing factor to why they are considered unreliable, because they want to be driven hard, but don't actually like it.

The Italian Spiders behave differently. You're not constantly feeling that hektik rush of adrenaline.
Even when you drive aggressively, you steel feel in control. They are more refined, and were more expensive when new.

The Alfa and Fiat were better sports cars, with high revving DOHC engines, dual Weber carburetors, precise handling and a great driving position.
The Alfa for example has independent suspension all round, assisted disc brakes on all four wheels, an all aluminum 2.0L TwinCam 132hp engine with a big oil baffle , limited slip differential, 5 speed gearbox, and four link at the rear.
And a low driving position, with large precise steering wheel, floor mounted vertical pedals and the shifter placed high next to the wheel and angled towards the driver. And thats specs for the early 70's one. The interiors are nicely designed too.

Also consider the Fiat X1/9 if you like wedge.

>a big oil baffle
I think this was the wrong word, because I don't mean to say the interior sump baffle.
But I don't know how to describe the part in English.

My dad bought a US spec (carbs) TR6 about 15 years ago, still has it. I've driven it countless times, and also a bunch of other classics to compare it with (4cyl 914, Alfa spider, MGB)

>The triumph has the quickest steering rack, not the lightest but still easy to use
>4 speed (close ratios + overdrive) is again easy to use, no synchro issues like the alfa and much more exact than the lot of them
>double wishbone up front, IRS in the rear. You have to replace the weird rear dampers with regular ones, but then the car is very predictable and nimble.
>brakes are basically like an old pickup truck, discs in the front and it might as well have no brakes in the back because there's no weight there anyway. The Alfa is much better here, you can brake much harder without locking the front wheels

and for the best bit
>2,5l inline 6 with 100hp on carbs and 140hp with petrol injection
>powerband basically starts at idle, but drops off somewhere between 4000 and 4500 rpm already
>I heard PI is tricky to deal with, ours is a us model though so I can't really say anything about it. It's made by Lucas though...
>stromberg carbs should be replaced with SUs for better functionality, plus a sports exhaust makes the car infinitely more enjoyable
>seriously, dat noise is AMAZING
>100 hp are enough to have fun, if you need more get a PI camshaft for about 20 extra hp

The only issue with the Triumph is british build quality and shitty solutions for eletrical bits.
There aren't many cars with more parts, bolt on upgrades and know how available out there though. Plus it's so simple and easy to improve that wrenching on it is incredibly satisfying.

TL;DR:
TR6 is best roadster. Great all-round package.

TR6 is best desu

Whichever one's not rusted to shit, and will start.
Old british and italian cars had awful electrics, and were plagued with rust. And that was when they were new, 50 years ago.

If you want a sports convertible, buy an MX5. Only buy a 70s roadster if you want a project car that'll look good but not actually back it up in modern terms.

Not OP, but would these ever fit a swap of a SBC or LS?

'70 Honda S800
If you could find one

Dude, what?
>floor mounted pedals, independent rear suspension, limited slip diffs, low driving position, with large precise steering wheel on 105 series alfas.

none of this is true. I drove pic related for three years so you could say I'm kinda into old alfas, but they're far from perfect.
The steering is far from precise, as is the 5-speed box. And don't get me started on those synchros. seats are a bit high, but tolerable. And yes, I'm comparing to the competition from the 60s and 70s.
Large oil sumps are necessary, but a pain once you lower the car a little. Which is almost necessary, because even for a car for the 60s there is a lot of body roll.
Some later spider might have LSDs, but good luck finding one.
>but muh spider
The giulia and spider are based on the same platform, just like modern VWs. The main difference (aside of the bodystyle) is the spider's seats are mounted further back, and there's a different steering wheel to make up for that. I once drove a spider too, they are identical.

btw I'm also this guy, the triumph is in the background

forgot to mention the live axle on ALL 105 and 115 Alfas, but the 115s at least get an anti roll bar. A single one, in the rear.

Handling is alright once you lower it a little and put in stiffer dampers.

Better put your mechanic on speed dial if you actually buy one of those.

Please don't. All that power in a car with structural integrity of a tissue...
Unless younfind a one that's not rusty as hell, but then you're just a filthy liar.

The mechanical components are pretty simple. There where alot of changes over its production which can cause issues. One years fuel pump will not fit the next year's etc. The also converted to metric over the cars production.

The electronics are simple but not of the best quality. There are very few whirrs and switches so a complete redo isn't hard.

If you want a little more speed get a higher compression head(p.i.) model, p.i. cam and better su carbs or triple webbers

Tr6 received ohv v-8s. The rear axle will need to be changed. Some folks go jag but usually a ford solid rear.

Grassroots did a rotary spitfire. I think the final weight was under 1500lbs