Fell for the "just do it yourself bro" meme

>fell for the "just do it yourself bro" meme
>was replacing my Impellor Shaft
>had to replace two gaskets
>got RTV everywhere
>pretty sure I didn't screw in the Impellor Shaft far enough
>pretty sure RTV is gonna clog the cooling system since it's sort of blocking a passage
>hope to god the water pump has enough power to BTFO any blockages

Fuck you all

Get fucked, butterfingers.
Don't wipe your ass, they might slide up there.

fuck you and your memes

Kek
Try replacing your blinker fluid, it prevent buildup in the coolant flow. It's commonly sold under the trademark "JB Weld"

t. meme pro

dont act like your first serious DIY repair was super clean

>have to disconnect and reconnect battery
>radio is fucking dead

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>Headgasket
>Bolts
>Bolts
>More bolts
>Use ruler and a feeler gauge to check head
>It's bad so send to machine shop for leak check+surface
>block is okay
>Put everything back together
>Fixed the coolant leak that caused the bad head in the first place
>Car started right up and drove for years
Total cost of parts+machining came out to $150, and I only paid $100 for the car... sold it for $500 years later.

looks like the real problem here is the "just slather RTV on everything so it will seal" meme

cooling system? thats where you replace the gaskets clean and carefully with maybe some copper spray .

... probably ok anyway though... flush that shit out

> "just slather RTV on everything so it will seal" meme
I realized it too late

Fuck my life there's a giant gob of RTV right on the impellor and I already sealed it

Jesus please spare me having to replace my Head Gaskets and Radiator

Its your fucking fault if you can't not get shit everywhere.

I bet you thought it was the teachers fault when you colored outside the lines in kindergarten"

How fucked am I?

What's the chance it stays like a benign tumor on the Impellor?

Fuck you all for recommending a DIY task like this to a noob

well fuck.... where is the water pump on the engine... ? (accessibility of water pump varies greatly car to car).

get in there maybe.
maybe flush the shit out, you can even run a garden hose into the res and open a radiator line

you may be ok though. .. more likely to have a blockage and just start overheating than actually damaging the radiator... and this really shouldn't fuck up the head gasket...

still me... I really think you're probably not that fucked.... keep an eye on engine temp though

Theres a good chance it will clog the fuck out of something. If you dont want shit fucked up take it back apart, clean it up, and do it right. Or you can roll the dice.

Its only your car man. I can't tell you what to do. Only what could happen.

It could be as simple as that turd floating around and sitting in the bottom of your rad, or clogging a coolant pasage and over heating your car, or getting stuck in your thermostat and makingit run cold all the time.

Also fuck you for being stupid. You fucked up a simple job. Its literally just being clean and not smearing it on everything. Not Veeky Forums's fault for your low iq.

>tfw that means Ill have to order new gaskets
>tfw the RTV is already dried
>tfw I'd have to order new parts

FUCK, UNI STARTS NEXT WEEK
Im gonna roll the dice that RTV will be able to hold on the Impellor like a benign Tumor

God please spare my asshole

>falling for the "change your own oil" meme
It's literally cheaper and takes 15 minutes with a mechanic who has a lift, meaning you have more time to actually drive your car.

Its not gonna stay. It'll peel off. Best start budgeting for the mechanic.
Also fuck off. Weenie hut juniors is around the corner.

yeah... its one of those situations where the deciding factor is how much you give a shit about the car. If your planning on wrenching though.... get in there and get used to redoing fuck ups the right way as you learn

I need to be able to drive to UNI and its a $100-200 dollars to order the new parts which I dont have right now cuz textbooks and tuition.

Think it'll hold for 3-4 weeks?

If it comes undone what's the chance itll BTFO my radiator? The Gobs on the Impellor is roughly 1/2 the size of a dime and no hose is that small except for the radiator

Wouldn't the RTV just break apart?

You're a fucking retard.

I just need it to hold for 3-4 weeks ;-;

Hell if it lasts until the end of the year ill have enough to buy something better off craigslist

the entire point of doing mechanical work as a hobby is to hurt yourself, get frustrated at stuck fasteners, spill liquids everywhere, make due without a tool you need, and to second guess yourself after putting it back together

if it was quick clean and easy, you would be a mechanic and it would be a job and not a hobby

>cheaper
>$70+ at Valvoline for 5 quarts synthetic 5W-10
>internet $40 for oil, $5 filter, literally under an hour of your time

It's probably already fallen off and is just sitting in your radiator.
It'll be fine. but why did you even put it together like that?

eeeigghhh... theres places it can clog. Asshole guy was right about thermostat being a concern. tight space there. If you keep an eye on your engine temp. the biggest risk will be paying for a tow, then having to pay to fix the same problem anyway, and if you get it towed to a shop that shop will then be in prime position to rape you.... what parts? should just be those gaskets, right?

RTV will probably not just break apart

>me literally every time I get under my car
The post

>$40 for oil
Do you drive an 18 wheeler?

I didn't think about how retarded I was being until I finished the job and was sitting inside for an hour

my coolant is sitting drained right now so its drying on the impeller, the worst part I used Black RTW instead of just buying Coolant RTV so the coolant will probably dissolve the tumor over time even though there isn't much Vector Force to chip it off (thx claculus 3)
With how much RTV I gobbed on Ill need to replace the entire assembly since its not going to clean off easily

plus ill have to pry off the parts and that means ill snap the impellor again

Ill keep a watch on my engine temp and hope I can let it slide until I have more $$$ either for a new part or for something better off CL

It takes 15 minutes with a jack and a couple of stands.
>Jack car up
>Place pan
>Remove plug
>Remove filter
>Replace filter
>Replace plug
>Lower car
>Fill oil
I could probably do it in 5 minutes if I was in a rush.

>5w10
No shit it's so expensive with your snowflake ass oil

Wtf walmart has 5quarts of valvoline for like $24-$27. Purolators cost like $3 something. You can change your oil in like 15mins if your car is warm already. 30mins max if you take your time.

>tfw fell for the diy meme
>changing oil
>accidently put half a bottle of power steering fluid in

hopefully it flushes out

It's everyone,mate. Even experienced mechanics don't have all of the tools for the job. We aren't to blame.

Blame the engineers in their ivory towers, who couldn't design an intuitive part of their wife's sons life depended on it.

>booted it up after waiting 14 hours since I read you didnt need ATV if you had gaskets
>thought since I applied so much ATV it should be okay
>coolant leaking
FUCK

It's okay user first repairs don't always go well

>Helping a friend change his oil
>I'm very mechanically inclined but hadn't worked on cars much
>Guy drives his car up on my ramps
>Get up under car with him
>remove drain bolt, drain oil and replace filter
>all going well
>wanted to check his trans fluid level so I try to bust the fill bolt off
>Won't come off, don't want to risk rounding it off
>Fill engine back with oil

Here's where we fucked up

>Starts engine, it doesn't explode
>Tries to back off ramps, won't budge
>Tell him to give it more gas to get his early 90s accord shitbox off
>1 ramp shoots out from under tire
>like a fucking rocket
>collides with the drain pan full of oil
>loud noises oil everywhere
>first thought is "oh god his crankcase just blew up
>forgot the rear wheels were chocked

He felt worse than I did for getting oil all over absolutely everything. I never wanted to work on anybody else's car but mine again. But since then I've done a lot of work, leading up to pulling the engine out of my truck and rebuilding it.

UPDATE

so I easily got the parts off

now how the fuck do I clean the dried RTV off?

>tfw I only have to replace the gaskets

I used a razor blade, abrasive pads, and tons and tons of brake cleaner to get all the RTV off my rear differential pan. Depending on your application you might want to use something less abrasive, and maybe some solvent designed for dissolving RTV. I know it would have helped me out a ton if I had RTV cleaner, getting RTV off is a bitch.

Try JB weld

Here's the state of the RTV on a part between the gaskets

my god did you use an entire tube of RTV?

It looks like fucking putty, OP no!

How fucked am I?

Here is some more parts

what kinda car

Oh yeah?

>have a problem more complex than a brake job
>can't accurately diagnose it in the first place
>might be suspension/alignment, don't have the equipment for alignments

You're not fucked, you're just going to spend all fucking day cleaning it off.

Get to cleaning, it's salvageable, just got to put in the work.

The more I look at this, just holy shit. Salvageable for sure but so much cleaning. I'd look into some sort of solvent that dissolves RTV and soaking the parts in it as long as the parts are all metal, unless the solvent specifies it's safe on different materials.

If I were you I'd also flush out your cooling system a couple of times. Better safe than sorry.

> changed radiator
> hoses start cracking and failong one by one

My car wasn't even fucked before I tried flushing the coolant and found out the radiator was rusted through

Lesson - the more you tinker, the more goes wrong, leave it alone and what has held so far will hold a little bit longer

>tfw I have to spend all day cleaning this off
>tfw there's some plastic on some parts so I cant use brake cleaner
>tfw brake cleaner will probably aggrevate the metal
you make every mistake once

Holy fuck this is boring

Lmao this thread is great.

>hey guys I'm an oaf and I fucked up
>you memed me!

t. somone who takes his car to the mechanic

No need to project my Assmad friend :)

I work on my own car. Difference is if I fuck up I don't blame the board.

Nor do I take wrenching advice from here.

Is it okay if the razor scrapes off some metal too?

no, should have used a plastic saftey razor

is it close to clean enough atleast??

You guys are garbage. I'm not even a trained mechanic and I do all my own repairs and it works out fine. Just read up on it and dont be shitty.

Half my repairs are fiber-mesh and epoxy since half my problems are leaks or cracks. Basic maintenance goes a long way.

That said there are some things that need repaired I will not even attempt. Those input shaft bearings in my Honda are going to stay fucked forever and keep making that awful noise. I keep vehicles running until they are 100% uselessly not worth repairing then I ditch them to a junkyard or craigslist queer. I don't restore them like new.

how many gaskets have you done?

No. How much metal did you scrape off? I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't scrape it up too bad, as long as it's not gouged or scratched perpendicular to the mating surface. All that shit's gotta come off man.

If you scratched it up too bad you can always pull that part out of a junkyard for maybe 20 dollars

I didn't scrape off much metal just some very small metal filings from running some scissors (used as a razor since I had better leverage) along the surface

Can I just make sure the future RTV surface clean? or do I have to clean the entire thing?

Well do you wanna do it right, or do it a third time?

If it were me, I'd spend the extra time cleaning all of it off. You wouldn't want any of that excess RTV coming off and getting sucked into something, or blocking something. Then do some research on how to properly replace the gasket so you don't end up putting too much again.

I just want to drive again :(

btw how do I properly replace the gasket?

do I need RTV? did it leak since the RTV between the last gasket and the body was sitting for 20 minutes and dried before I put it on? or was it because I applied it wrong?

You could have torqued it down wrong, too much RTV, not letting it dry fast enough.

Was there RTV on before? I'd look up a guide on replacing that specific gasket. The process differs between manufacturers and models. Some may only require the gasket, some only RTV, some both RTV and gasket. Not all mating surfaces need RTV, but there are a few applications where it's almost always used (oil pan, differential pan, transmission pan, etc.)

It could also have been leaking because it was warped to begin with. I'm going to say it leaked because you used too much though, and it created an uneven sealing surface due to it sitting for 20 minutes. It's common to let RTV sit for 10 minutes, and then put everything together, but 20 minutes might have been too much.

Do some research though seriously. There's bound to be guides all over the net for replacing that specific gasket/part.

there was RTV and no Gasket since there was only a Brown film that peeled off and ripped easily

I wish the manufacturers provided guides for free

Tried youtube? What about asking on other car forums specific to your make and model?