If a car is parked up with the engine off does it hurt the transmission to change gears without the clutch (like when...

If a car is parked up with the engine off does it hurt the transmission to change gears without the clutch (like when you're walking around a stealer seeing what the gearboxes feel like)?

yes

no

maybe

It's possible.

I don't know

Can you repeat the question?

Only if the car is parked down

Perhaps

You're not the boss of me now

Could be bad on the synchronization. I imagine if you're real slow and use the clutch, it'd be negligible.

It's only harmfull if you don't let the clutch come up in neutral like required

This is the dumbest thread on Veeky Forums.

>how to not fuck up car
>second most expensive life buy
>dumb

ITT: people who have never been inside a transmission.

You should press the clutch the first time you take it out of gear and put it back in. After that, the weight of the car will be on the parking brake and the gears will be synchronized.

>the gears will be synchronized.

not all of them. just don't push too hard into any gear, and keep the clutch depressed the entire time so that the input shaft can rotate a bit if it needs to.

Most cars have first synchronized. New cars even have reverse synchronized.

I have, actually. I rebuild transmissions and engines the way the book tells me too. I'm thinking of the physics behind the tranny. Rubbing metal with metal isn't good. A car that is off would have an unlubricated transmission so being delicate is very important. But someone with a large ego would rather insult instead of correct.

It causes a very small amount of gear/synchro wear, but not a lot

You're basically smashing two gears together until they mesh. With the clutch engaged, you have the resistance of the clutch.

What cars are you looking at?
Next car I get is probably going to be a late 90s-early 2000s mustang. Not a fan of Ford but I like that body style.