How would a 944 handle around a track compared to cars like the miata, s2000, supra, skyline, rx7, and so forth...

how would a 944 handle around a track compared to cars like the miata, s2000, supra, skyline, rx7, and so forth? i'm interested in tracking one and was wondering what type of hurdles i'd have to overcome both as a driver and from the cars stock limitations.

for 3k can i find better platforms?

Other urls found in this thread:

lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/NEWPROD.html
youtu.be/0rM5ygt_KMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>buying an FR porsche
just get the miata

>convertible

wouldn't it be a wet noodle?

They're fine for that and can be worked to be better at it.

I have a friend that hoons a stock one like a suicidal.

So just like a Miata.

you can stiffen the shit out of literally any car, if that's your only worry, the other worry would be getting a hardtop/softtop over the cage

A 944 would handle decently around a track. However, they are less reliable, and in America, are hard to find parts on (cheaply).

>s2000, supra, skyline, rx7
Neither of these are 3K platforms.

You can spend 1K on stiffening a 2K Miata, and end up stiffer than a 944. For a track/street car, Miata is usually the answer, with alternatives to be found with the E36/E46.

i'm gunning for one because i just like the fact it has little to no assist to it and it can be acquired for a decent price. the only thing is that the porsche cost of maintenance can be daunting however i figured i'd swap out the motor with a non porsche later in the future to mitigate that risk.

yeah but wouldn't a 944 be stiffer from the get go?

944 and Miata handle pretty much the same. Im building a 944 track car and have driven an NB spec Miata.

Can't comment on the rest, I've been a passenger on track in an s2000 which was fun but a different experience because of the hp

Literally a less reliable fc rx7

that makes no sense.

Double your budget and get a Boxster instead, they're far more stiffer and you're already comparing the 944 to cars that cost 3 times as much

>little to no assist to it
You mean no driver aids? It's not the only one out there.

>and it can be acquired for a decent price
Not for long you won't.

the only thing is that the porsche cost of maintenance can be daunting
It's lower than other Porsches.

>however i figured i'd swap out the motor with a non porsche later in the future to mitigate that risk.
This won't be easy, with the transaxle setup. If you do have a spare 30K, be sure to stuff in an Audi turbo 5 pot.

>yeah but wouldn't a 944 be stiffer from the get go?
True, but more expensive, and with less aftermarket. Stiffening a Miata is easy and cheap.

true but if i spent that 2/3 on parts couldn't the 944 beat them?

i was debating on ls swapping it since i found that renegade site, or would that ruin the weight distribution/handling?

It's a 928 on Pict.
OP u r a fag !

Yup basically why you shouldmstay away from them

no i mean you make no sense. how would an inline four porsche be less reliable than a rotary mazda. mazda can't even make frames that don't rust. ths 944 is galvanized.

>true but if i spent that 2/3 on parts couldn't the 944 beat them?
Probably, but investments in the Boxster would give even better rewards, given it's excellent layout and suspension.

>i was debating on ls swapping it since i found that renegade site, or would that ruin the weight distribution/handling?
It'd be fine for handling, but the transaxle will still be a PITA. Find an RX-7 shell instead, they're lighter, and swapping an LS in will be easier. There's kits for them too (Granny's iirc).

i just feel like i'd struggle finding one without a rice tax, wheras nobody bothers with the 944. im not saying you're wrong it's just hard for me to ignore this. im worried i won't make the best of my choices.

Thing is the Boxster shared a lost of parts with the 996 911 that were also used in the 997.1 911 all the way until like 8 years ago, so parts are common and cheap unlike the 944 which is like 30 years old at this point

what if i just forge all my parts?

You make it sound easier than it is

i know it's not...for starters i don't have nor will be able to get the dimensions for the components. and even if i had a forgery i would have to make casts in those dimensions, which means i'd need a cnc. at that point i think i'd just use a billet of already forged steel and cnc mill it, but that still leaves the original issue so i'll drop that idea.

alright, i guess i could look at a miata. what do they handle like on the track against the jdm a-team?

Pretty lame until you stiffen them, upgrade the suspension, and increase the power to keep up
Basically they have potential but only after you sink in thousands into them

>JDM A-team
>Boxster in the background
It's a sign, user

Just a tip, if you go with a 944 it tends to be difficult to find aftermarket parts (especially older N/A models), but lindseyracing is a great resource

lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/NEWPROD.html

OP here. my goal.

youtu.be/0rM5ygt_KMA

E30, Miata or e36

>for 3k
It won't handle at all because it will break before you reach the track.

why's that?

>all these meme tier posts
probably better handling than all those, though i'd take the rx7 as rotaries tend to fare better when taking a beating.

what would be the upper limit of what i could compete against?

A cheap Porsche is an expensive car to own.

3k means it has problems or has been neglected

the one i'm looking at is actually 2.5k canadian and has 149129.086 miles. 1986 model. what would i expect in terms of problems? the owner said he's replaced parts in it.

Take it from a guy who hangs out with a ton of Porschefags...Just don't get a 944.

I can't explain why mostly because i don't care enough about Porsches to learn the caveats of the different models but they all speak very poorly of them in a number of ways and always suggest a Miata or BMW as a much better alternative and it's definitely not at all because of the "FR Porsche" sigma. Plus having gone to a ton of Porsche club track days i can tell you I've seen more Miatas and BMWs than 944s.

Trust me, you're not going to find a situation where a cheap 944 gives you better value than the alternatives.

that's pretty biased. what if there just isn't a lot of 944s in that area or people don't think of them? there's got to be more to it than "it's not popular so it's bad".

>the owner said he's replaced parts in it.
You will replace a lot of parts, too. If the car was any good, he wouldn't sell it for that price. With used Porsches, you always pay a lot for the name. Subtract that, and you're basically buying a car for scrap value.

There's actually quite a few around here that just don't sell because nobody wants them aside from the guys who do just to say they own a Porsche...

And I'm not saying it's not popular so it's bad, I'm saying it's not popular BECAUSE it's bad.

They have gone into great detail on why not to get one, i just didn't care to remember the details because i have no intention on ever considering owning a Porsche.

i know a bunch of stuff about why they're bad (t bearings going out) but they are mitigated with a swap. when it comes to the frame/suspension i don't know much but afaik it's pretty stiff and reliable.

i don't know i haven't seen much else wrong with it visually. can i ask for engine pics?

it's a 30 year old car, everything will have taken a beating. most of the complaints about 944 reliability aren't terribly relevant to your intended use but it's not desingned to be a track car out of the box - not much is.
nothing on your list for sure.
they're a pain to work on and you sound fairly clueless about what you're doing so it's best if you just don't.

le "i dont like my impressions of you so i won't contribute" meme is the worst shit ever. why don't you just chug brake fluid?

I did contribute, you're just upset that you know with my impressions of you are correct.
Also, my boss gave me a case of wine.

nice. too bad you're still just being biased without any actual details. but go ahead trip on.

>
>mitigated with a swap

That's one thing...They don't consider swaps when judging the value of a car for track use. They race with stock motors (maybe mild bolt ons) and focus on suspension/steering/tires.

Biased about you, or the car?

The 944 is a fantastic platform as far as handling goes, quite neutral but easy to reign back in if it gets loose. Would I recommend one as a track toy? Eh, depends on how much you want to spend, because you will wind up spending a lot more than you think on it. Just get a Miata, it will be cheaper.

are people only able to think of miatas? there must be one other car here besides a miata that would work well as a track. come on this is just sad.

Miatas were cheap to start with and have been made in abundance for decades.