I'm thinking of getting pic related, it's a '74 for 6K...

I'm thinking of getting pic related, it's a '74 for 6K. Does Veeky Forums approve of the C3 or would I be better off with a C4? Performance isn't my number one goal but I would definitely get at the very least new heads and pistons for a compression ratio bump up. A weekend cruiser with some pickup is really what I'm looking for but a C4 and C5 are also options but I'm not looking to spend more than 10K.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Every single c3 is a smog era turd with less pick up than literally the shittiest modern cars. Get something with an LS1

if you can find a decent c4 i would go with that but i dont know how much engine work you can do to them
if you do what said and get an LS you can pretty much do what you want since theres a lot of aftermarket

they suck stock
both the c3 and c4
mod it or dont get one

I should have clarified that I'm an adept mechanic and working on engines, especially a SBC, is nothing new to me. I've never worked on an older car tho, but I was looking for a fun classic to cruise in. Since this one is so under budget I was thinking about doing really only power mods with the stock turd of an engine. It already has a cam and a good flowing exhaust all I would add most likely is better carb(s), and then the pistons and heads at a minimum.

Any mod recommendations? Anything to avoid?

go for it. thats one car i would not mind seeing the potential of.

make us proud op

DO IT FAGGOT!

youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Don't use domed pistons to raise compression, they ruin combustion efficiency. Throw some Vortec heads on there, they're less than $400 a pair and are easily a 50hp bump over smog-era heads.

In that case I say definitely go for it. Heads will open it up and since it's already cammed and you're already planning on doing pistons just put on rockers while you're at it and it'll be ready for boost. What kind of carb is on it?

plz be a quadrajet

The owner didn't know, he said it's not stock, but it is an old holley that the first owner put on

lads...

I have a C3, C4, and C5. For weekend cruising I like the C4 the best. The C3 road pretty well when it still had its 45 year old stock suspension, but it was designed in the late 50's and it shows. The C4 was one of the best handling cars of the time and rides better on the street, but the C3 will get a lot more attention.

C3 is best C. Personally, I'd look for one just a little older when they still had the chrome steel bumpers. Regardless, most of these cars were shit performance wise with 3 speed autos and a weak ass engine. If you could find and afford one with a 454 and a 4 speed manual or upgrade one in that fashion, it'd be a sex machine.

i have a question
how good can a c3 suspension be made before its better to start over and cut it off and use parts from say a c5 or something?

C4 is like a big boy miata

I have the VB&P street/autocross suspension, speader bar, stock calipers, Hawk pads and rotors, and 18" Z06 wheels with A7s. 400whp Lq9/T56 swap. It is good enough to hang will stock 5th gen Camaro 1LEs. Can't really compete with a C5 Z06 on slicks.

You can cut your frame up and buy lighter and stronger sections ready for C4/C5 suspension, but you'll spend a lot of money and still won't be as good as a lighter, stiffer, and more aerodynamic C5.

>Can't really compete with a C5 Z06 on slicks
well i when i drove the zo6 i liked it a lot. not enough to buy one, but i loved the clutch feel on that car. hated the seats and interior of the c5
the c4 had better seats. maybe a on par interior.

the c3 had traditional double a-arms with coil springs up front, and shitty recirc ball steering. the rear suspension was the ticket that set it apart from anything else from chev at the time which was independent twin trailing arms with a solid mounted rear diff. it had a really weight oriented single fiberglass tranverse leaf for springs and conventional shocks. basically the car handles great when compared to other v8 "sports" cars of the time but when compared to later vettes its pretty limpdick. can be made to really carve the twisties in stock form with good rubber though. i grew up with two disco cars, a 75 and a 77. both some of the lowest power vettes ever made. with that considered they really woke up with simple upgrades like intake carb and exhaust etc. really great cars to drive and own. really strong market and following too. just be prepared to pay a premium on corvette specific parts. avoid the purists at all costs because those bastards will turn their nose up at a lot of trivial shit.

>paint job was .
Not knowing what it was is going to ruin my fucking night

The 90+ C4 interiors are great. Really driver focused, comfortable seats, and not god awful materials. The C5 was a huge downgrade, but I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. The car was built in secret from GM with almost no budget.

Any C4 will absolutely trash that turd in both a straight line and around corners. I've never understood why C4s and turd gens are considered the redheaded stepchildren of their lines when they're the best compromise between old reliable mechanical tech while still being somewhat modern and look better too.

More for me I guess, they're dirt cheap.

i was not impressed with the c4 panel gaps but i agree with you. c5 is a downgrade.

i also hated the 996 interior even worse

Save it and denig it pls

If performance isnt your goal, go with the c3. 6k for a 74 is a great price, as long as the car isn't super high on miles. C3's are not fast, but its very easy to get more power out of them, and I consider them to be the most fun. I've got a 78, and theres nothing better than cruising down the highway with the t-tops off blaring lynyrd skynryd