Explain the Anglo-Saxons to be as if I were five years old

Explain the Anglo-Saxons to be as if I were five years old.

Came to Britain to fight Scots and Irish raiders for Roman coin

Stayed to as lords and Kings when the Romans left

West German tribes invaded England after the Romans left and took it over. Then, the Vikings tried to take over England and failed. Then, the Vikings took over northern France and succeeded. Then, the French Vikings took over England. Then Germany took over the Vikings and Northern France. Then the English took over Northern France and Germany. And then everyone lived happily ever after.

There once was a man named Aidan
Ancient wisdom with the Dane he did share.

He planted a kirk at Lindisdarne
And many fine books the monks there did craft.

>invaded
Kek, nice meme
Pls read a book tho

In the fifth century, after the evacuation of Roman troops, the Anglo-Saxons came to Britain. These were a cluster of Germanic tribes, notably the Angles, the Saxons, and the Jutes, who all shared a culture vaguely resembling that of the Vikings.

They settled down and after a while converted to Christianity. They struggled among themselves for supremacy, forming what is called (for the sake of neat organization and poetic phrasing) the "Bretwalda" or seven kingdoms (sometimes the "Heptarchy") of the Saxons: East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex, Wessex, Mercia, and Northumbria. These kingdoms vied for supremacy until the arrival of the Danes made their quarrels seem petty.

The Danes settled in Britain and in a few generations, conquered almost all the Anglo-Saxon lands. However, Wessex had a recovery under Alfred the Great and his descendants which continued until they had reconquered all the Danish-occupied lands (now called the Danelaw). This made the House of Wessex ruler over all the Angles' lands, hence the term "England". The Wessex house lost its grip and was overthrown by Norse invaders under Cnut the Great, the King of Denmark and Norway; although the House of Wessex got the throne back after Cnut's sons Harald Harefoot and Harthacanute died without surviving legitimate issuenote , England nevertheless became a combined Saxon-Scandinavian nation, which was an easy fit once the wars had been forgotten because they had very similar cultures. After Harthacanute's successor Edward the Confessor also died without issue, Harold Godwinson, of the powerful Godwin family, claimed the throne by agreement of the Witenagamot, but he was overthrown by the Duke of Normandy, William the Conqueror.

This is considered the end of Anglo-Saxon England and the beginning of Norman England, and the shift of the main external influence on England from the Nordic countries to France.

Well said.

>You see Gwyll, WE WUZ KANG ARTHUR 'n shieet, then them hairy-bollocked Anglo apemen invaded and stole our rightful clay. NEBAR FORGET, NEVAR FORGIV

>Well Jaydynn, they're British people.

>Gandhi when asked what he thought of the British people "I think it would be a good idea"

>welsh speakers: 700,000
>english speakers: 360-400,000,000
what does Wales have to be smug about?

LISTEN SON
W E
W U Z
W H I T E
N
S H I E T

They still exist despite not being independent for over a thousand years. Go find a Gallic Celt and see if he can say the same.

Some current theories suggest that there was no invasion. Instead cultural links between the continent and UK saw the rise of a more dominant Anglo Saxon influences elite and the rise of petty kingdoms.

In an attempt to legitimise rule you then got ancestor stories and tales of descent from the heroes of the old days.

My own thoughts suggest that the heavy use of Germanic legionaries and auxiliaries must have had a massive influence in the south east of the UK. Which suggests the possibility that a more cohesive Saxon elite (composed of ex pats, retired soldiers, etc) had the avaliable manpower to project themselves in the power gap left when formal rule collapsed.

Given the divide between heavily roman se UK and the more celtic side you then saw both sides crystallise an identity of the ensuing power struggle for the island.

what am I doing alone in a room with a 5 year old, what are you planning, LET ME OUT

There was immigration, up to like 25-30%

But the English are by and large the same as their fellow Britons, going back to the stone age

The figures seem to vary depending on study. But they do suggest, along with the archeology that the mass slaughter invading kings theory is flawed as is.

Sadly we just can't know, our sources aren't methodical or reliable and dna and archeology isn't precise enough.

An celestial event coincided with a great climate shift approximately 14000ybp that melted the ice and flooded the oceans so the people had to migrate from doggerland etc and for the next 140000 years these people have tried to resettle their celestial homelands after being split like the tower of babel.

"westernised"brits.rome

A strong warrior from Northumbria fucks a horny girl from Wessex in the pussy and then 9 months later England was born.

>Then the English took over Northern France.
Never happened.

>Gallic Celt
So the French? At least 300 to 400 words of their original language Gaulic persist in the French tongue even after Germanic invasions, assimilation, and Latinization.

wot.

"ooga-booga, where da celtic women at?"

>So the French?

The French are Celts are they? You stupid prick, gas yourself.

>muh Celtic aggression

what part of Bongland does your family cum from?

None :^)

>English took over Northern France
Other way around
>inb4 muh unconquerable 'inglind!

YORKSHIRE YORKSHIRE YORKSHIRE

Lancashire

We must fight now

Are you retarded or are you incapable of reading comprehension? There's more Celtic in modern French then English.

Old Surrey lad.

>Celts