Someone hit my car while it was parked. I took pictures of the vehicles, his DL, registration, and proof of insurance...

Someone hit my car while it was parked. I took pictures of the vehicles, his DL, registration, and proof of insurance. I submitted the claim (state farm) within 15 minutes of the accident. We did not call the police because it happened near both of our homes, on street parking.

He sent me text messages about the damage and I also sent those to State Farm.

I got an estimate this morning for $4,000 in damage and the total worth of my car is about $2000 dollars (I'm only gauging that on the fact that I bought the car for $2000).

How long do I have to wait until they do something?

State farm is his insurance, I have not contacted my insurance yet but I did provide there information to State farm when they asked.

I would say in the future, always call the police to file a report.

I see Mazda still haven't fixed the fucking paint deterioration issues...

You don't need to call the police for a simple matter like this, they probably wouldn't even have written the report based on the fact that the car was parked and the other driver provided his information voluntarily.

>damage on every body panel on that side
what a fucking faggot. should've just shot the fucking guy.

Yea, he said he struck and slide the entire length of the drivers side.

thats like asian level of shit driving

UPDATE

State Farm accepted full liability but they told me that the value of the estimate I obtained exceed the value of the car.

They are sending me to an appraiser at a collision repair place to take a look at it.

State farm isn't my insurance, can they really declare my car a loss?

TALK TO YOUR INSURANCE YOU IDIOT NOT FUCKING /o? jesus christ. Also always call the cops.

If you're happy with the car, get it fixed.

>not having a driveway
pleb

>I have not contacted my insurance yet
Wut. Give them a call they'll handle it for you. It takes like two seconds.

Just wait a couple days turd. You'll get your check for the value of the car. Since it's worth 2k you'll likely get it total lossed, which basically means you keep your cheap shitbox as is and collect a check because the idea is that it costs more to fix than its worth but also assumes the car is useless. Your title will become a salvage title though.

Actually scratch that, call your fucking insurance retard. Why the FUCK didn't you do the RIGHT THEN?

You don't have to call your insurance when someone else hits you and accepts fault.

That car was a loss before he hit it. ACCEPT THE PAYMENT

What?

Butthurt Honda fanboy detected

It's most likely totalled they manged to fuck the whole drivers side.

They'll cut you a check and offer you to buy back the car for dirt, which you may as well do.

Buff out the scratches and pint transfer, and enjoy your slightly shitter shitbox and ~$3k in cash.

This is terrible advise.
> No injuries.
> Not hit and run
> Driver wasn't hostile.
> Hit while parked.
Literally no reason to call the police.

I don't understand how they can call the car a loss

Cars worth < cost to fix

>I got an estimate this morning for $4,000 in damage and the total worth of my car is about $2000 dollars

What don't you understand?

Similar thing happened to my car OP. It was hit when parked outside my house.

Here's what's going to happen.

A guy from your insurance is going to come out and appraise your car. They're going to compare that value to the amount of money it would take to repair the damages.

If some percentage is met between amount the car is worth vs amount of $ required to repair, I forget what it is--They'll basically say the car is a financial loss--or salvage title.

They'll give you a couple options from here. One of the options will be that they will give you the amount of money they think the car is worth. Accept this option.

Now for the shitty part. You'll have to re register your car as a salvage title. This includes a dmv inspection, a brake and light inspection and a couple other forms and fees. But hey, they give you money for this.

Re-registering doesnt have be done immediately either. DMV wants you too, but you wont be pulled over unless you license plate registration year is vastly out of date.

They call it a loss because the car is worth $2000, but it would require $4000 to repair.

The repairs are more than the car is worth.

This. Take the 3k and start saving for a mr2 turbo or something.

What he means is that they are not his insurance carrier so how can they make this judgement?

This might vary by state. I'm driving a salvaged cavalier. They valued it at 5k at 130k miles before the accident and sod it back to me for 1200. I don't know what the insurance adjuster was smoking. I did have to reregister but it was just a simple form that I had to fill out. No inspections. Had a shop straighten the frame ( all damage was behind the rear axle) fix a dent put a junk yard bumper on it and some paint. They charged me 300 and it looked as good as a cavalier can. Still kicking at 160k pocketed 3500.

I know your not OP, but the other guys insurance is footing the bill so its their call.

This is about as good a situation you could ever be in.

Just cosmetic damage to side and its mainly just paint damage.

They WILL total that car and hopefully value it around ~4K, you'll buy it back for like $1000-$1500 and pocket the $3000-$2500.

Thats what they did for me.

>rekt $1500 civic
>insurance pays $2500
>buy a $900 Volvo

How can they not? It's their responsibility to provide OP with enough money to get back to where he was at before the accident. If the cheapest way to do that is to buy another identical car, that's what they're going to pay for.

So they can just give him whatever price they want and fuck him over?

This looks so assbackwards.

Here you call your insurance, they sses the damages and they pay you.

Then they go and get their money from the other guy's insurance.

0 fucking hassle.

You left out the part where they raise your premiums because of the labor and also total your car. They don't pay whatever price they want, they pay the replacement cost for the car. This actually totally fucks tuners over because the value of mods is never included unless it's specified in the policy. You can pull your performance parts off the totaled car before it's gone (or buy it back cheap for all the parts performance and otherwise) but you're out the labor.

there is declared value, what do you think nada and kbb is? his insurance would have the same amount on a check.

your premiums don't go up unless you were at fault.

so much misinformation and confusion in here, easy to tell the people with drivers licenses.

So what if you have a niche rice taxed 25 year old shitbox that blue books at $2k, but regularly sells around $10k
Also what about modifications?
Like my $2500 in wheels or $1500 turbo?
Can you contest their valuation?

nope, you shouldn't have overpaid for a shitbox just to get hipster cred. You need Haggarty or other enthusiast/collector insurance for your special snowflake

Take the $4000 and get a cherry LS400.

hagerty at least has an "agreed upon value". You show them receipts and what current ones are going for and you pay a premium specific to your car.

People will lie like crazy in order to get out of an insurance claim or turn the tables and attempt to convince your insurance company that you're at fault.

Always file a police report, it covers your ass during the claims process by getting written statements from both sides on paper.

I bought my car for 1000 and got 3k from insurance when I wasn't at fault lmao