What's the hardest that you've been fucked by a mechanic? Why aren't you repairing your own car yet?

What's the hardest that you've been fucked by a mechanic? Why aren't you repairing your own car yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

redtube.com/122303
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I had to pay something like $300 or $400 for my cat because the guy at the muffler shop claimed that my car needed a "premium" cat for whatever reason. I didn't do it myself as I don't have the tools or experience welding, nor do I have the space for all the equipment.

Dad takes his cars to the local Nissan dealership (apart from doing regular maintenance) because he somehow can talk them into doing all the repairs for free even if they are not under warranty or recalled. He got them to put in a new engine in my brother's 03 sentra for free.

what the fuck is a premium cat?

catalytic converter I guess a good one. Unless you were asking what a cat (for a car you fucking faggot memesters) was. Premium implies that it is of higher quality than regular cats. I don't know I thought it was bullshit but didn't really care at that point in time.

sounds like bullshit to me.

redtube.com/122303

Pretty sure your dad is sucking the head mechanics dick bro

>Why aren't you repairing your own car yet?
Because a 2-post and the correct amount of tools ain't cheap, yo

i once had a mechanic friend do timing chain guides for me. He didn't drop the oil pan after scraping all of the timing guide and gasket pieces squarely down into it. Got a few miles before I began to lose power. Didn't seize because I shut it down instantly, but i didnt invite him to help me pull the motor out and replace main and rod bearings.

>I don't know how to do something
>How dare someone charge me to do something that I can't do
>Everything should just be free and given to me
>Wah

a tire 'tech' stripped two the lug holes on one of the hubs on my car. I would mount my own tires if i had a balancer. The tech didn't tell the shop, the shop didn't tell me. riding around on 4 lugs instead of five.

Before that, a tech at a local garage broke a pcv tube on my wife's jeep, he glued it back together, didn't tell us. I"m not sure what it was in relation to.

>premium cat

The only thing I go to the mechanic for is alignment and smog.

I swear this wrong thumbnail bug has been here for years, you'd think someone would've fixed it by now

I was just tripping on that lol

Happened to my dad
>his car needs a tune-up
>his brother recommends a trusted backyard mechanic
>guy goes over the car and says he needs 300 dollars to go buy the parts, fluids, etc
>dad gives him money (cause my uncle vouched for him)
>guy goes and actually buys the parts he needs
>starts working on cars and leaves after an hour saying everythings done
>dad goes to run car and car runs like dogshit
>dads pissed
>him and uncle keep calling guy but the guy never picks up
>dad calls me to go and work on car
>drive an hour to go look at car
>see that the guy didnt do a damn thing to it besides snap 2 sparkplug cables leading to coilpacks
>replace lines going to coilpacks, change oil/filter, air filter, etc
>dad tries to give me money but tell him to get me a 6 pack and punch the other "mechanic" in the face if he ever sees me

I was my families personal mechanic up until i moved out.
Never had anything bad happen to me though thank god

But a jack, 4 jack stands and a "mechanics" toolset from Sears is

This.
I got all i need for under 400 bucks

Yeah, fuck off. What takes 15 minutes on a 2 post with a proper toolkit takes 5 hours with jackstands

wait wat

The only reason I go to the mechanic is for the same and also she's my gf ;)

>bring truck in for pre purchase inspection
>shop tell me needs a tie rod to pass MVI, $300
>okay_np.jpg
>drop truck off the next day at 12pm
>calls me at 3pm
>his exact words "you didn't tell me it needed two tie rods"
>implying I'm a mechanic
>implying I inspected it
>implying I knew this
>calls me again at 5pm, "trucks ready"
>$700 bill

retard.
Here's another one at a different "mechanic"

>leave jeep with mechanic for a $60 tire change
>calls me an hour later "you didn't tell me you wanted new valve stems installed, I just notice them taped to the tires"
>they were literally taped to the sidewall and he didn't notice
>$120 bill

one more

>get brake job done on car
>hear strange clicking noise coming front front end
>no time to fuck with it myself
>bring it back to dealer because I assume they left the lugs lose or a caliper was rubbing
>dealer tells me it was the lugs, loose af on the front
>charge me $140 for shop labor
>to tighten lugnuts THAT THEY LEFT LOOSE
>refuse to pay, they refuse to relinquish the car
>needed the car for the weekend so I was literally extorted into paying

fucks.

Like what? Oh, you're talking shit.

God fucking damn it america, what kind've shithole tyre shop doesn't change the valves automatically?

Go ahead and pull a gearbox when you can't get to half the bolts, faggot

Wouldn't know, I'm not american

Took my mother's van to the mechanic over an evap issue because I'm honestly not handy enough to deal with it myself, he finally fixed it after a few "I don't know what's wrong" moments, the light came back on so I took it back to him and we just got a call from him saying he crashed it. At the moment it's the only car in the household and now I feel like absolute shit.

15 mins to pull a gearbag on a lift?

You sir, are full of shite.

I was charged $630 for an alternator replacement on my 22RE Toyota Pickup. I was on vacation so I figured i'd just let the shop do it because all i had in my suitcase was underwear and three T-shirts.

His excuse was he only uses OEM parts and a Toyota alternator costs more. Again, I was really far from home so I just forked over the credit card. I have the receipt around here somewhere.

I didn't eat anything on the drive back home.

what's to fix, it's perfect

$1000 for a timing belt change. They charged me $400 for a $200 timing belt kit.

Never again.

Nigger, once you have those delicious, glorious long extensions on a rattle gun and can get to the top bolts while standing half way down the driveshaft, you can accomplish anything

>Bending over to get fucked this hard
You deserve it desu

>not buying you're own kit and having them install it

nice strawman!

I'm doing that next time.

You're dumb as shit and deserved to be robbed.

>clutch was kill on FB RX-7
>got a quote from an eastern european shop for $700 including parts
>they let me supply a $200 clutch kit that I found
>final charge was $370
bretty gud

Use rockauto. Got a full kit all the bearings gasket and water pump for $200 for my truck, all oem parts. Dealer charged $500 for the install.
I'm happy I did it because I was 50k miles over the service interval, but the old pump and belt still looked brand new when I got em back.
Still worth it imo

>$630 for an alternator job
holy shit, user

If you bring me your own parts to install, especially on such a labor heavy job like a timing belt, I'm going to tell you to go fuck yourself or charge you time and a half.

Should've just gotten someone to cut the cat out and weld in a straight pipe.
Then just tune it so it's not throwing O2 sensor codes.

Why don't you charge more for labor in the first place and stop lying about parts costs?

>waah i can't rip you off

paid 200 dollars for a vacuum leak when i knew jack shit about cars

The problem with mechanics isn't that they overcharge it's that there are too many stories where they quite literally don't do shit at all.

I would pay 200 bucks for a vaccuum leak because that shit either takes all fuck of a weekend or not.

>go get the alignment done
>car drives worse than before
>"yeah, uh its probably your tires"

If I could do my own alignment, I would. Needless to say, I`m never going there again.

gross

Had a moment like this where a shop tried to charge me something like $2000 dollars to replace an alternator and power steering pump on an 89 Volvo. I didn't get it done and still had to pay to get it back, just to sell it

Most shops around me wont work with parts you bring them

>Go to family mechanic needing rear shocks
>He prices them up at £70 each + labour, tells me to see if I can source them cheaper
>Go on ebay, find same shocks at £50 a pair
>Final cost was £90

Feels good not to use con artists, I'm doing all my own work now though, since he retired

A few cars ago I had a MG ZR 1.4 which I swapped with a turboed 2.0 engine, it's a light car so it was pretty quick, I go to a local garage to get a cat back exhaust fitted that I bought on the Internet, I took it there with a full tank of petrol and it came back nearly empty, they totally rinsed and joy rode my car around, I wasn't very happy

my dad got fucked by a shady shop once. he went in for a state inspection. for cars 2yrs or less its 10$ pass or fail but for 3yrs and older its 37$ pass or fail.. they charged my dad 37$ for his inspection when his car was less then a year old at the time. he told me they charged him 37$ but i told him he got ripped off (i got have a state inspector licence too) he was suppose to pay 10$. so he got ripped off by 27$. i told him to go back and tell them they ripped him off but i guess he never did because he never brought it up again. eventually the state closed the shop down because they were giving passing inspections to cars that failed

>take car in because starter motor is fucking up
>go back after its readu and see burnouts all over the road
>walk in to shed and burnouts leading up to my tyres
>start yelling at 16 to 18 year olds working there
>they all scatter, boss is no where to be found
>take car without paying
>still had the same problem even it went in with

>car throwing random codes
>take it to mechanic where
>go there about once a week for 2 months to see if its ready but they cant find the problem
>friend goes there with spare computer from same model and puts it in
>starts and drives perfect
>mechanic charges $300+ in labour even though the car just sat in the same place for months without moving
>ask if they can check out a sound its making before i leave
>"its a old car, don't worry about it" without even looking at the car

>put coilovers in myself and take it for an alignment
>too low to get on the hoist and asked to leave it there overnight
>come back the following night and see it up on the hoist
>next day go there to pick it up and they say they haven't done anything yet
>go back the fowlling 2 days and its still not ready
>get a call to come pick it up about a week later
>strut tops have been adjusted wrongly
>wheels visually out of alignment
>paid and left just to get the car back
>take it to another place who did it on the spot for half the price
>they said there is no way that my car had a wheel alignment as the settings were way out and all over the place

and most recently (last week)
>car has a whine and clicking sound
>mechanic said i need my wheel bearings replaced
>bought genuine wheel bearings and paid the mechanic to fit them
>cost about $1200 total
>picked up the car and drove home
>still has the same whine and clicking

This.

I was expecting that Lily Carter video

I am disappoint

Head gaskets went out after 250k miles in my old 2001 legacy, didn't know that much about cars and he tried to get us for 4k dollars to completely rebuild the engine, grandpa said fuck that. Went to a scrap yard and pulled a 2003 legacy engine for 500 bucks, we have never gone back to that mechanic and I've wrenched on cars ever since.

>he cant have his car up on jackstands in less than 30 minutes moving at a leisurely pace
you deserve everything jiffy lube and cleetus the mechanic fuck up on your car

unless youre a fat fuck who is just as wide as you are tall, the ~1.5 feet you can lift your car up on standard 2 ton jack stands allows for more than enough room to use air tools with fucking feet of extensions
unless, of course, youre just talking out of your vagina

>"premium" cat

My dad is a cheapskate that refuses to spend money on anything, except to build his dream house.

Obviously parts in cars wear over time and need to be replaced or repaired, but this is a foreign concept to my father.

So when my father's e36 325i needed repairs, he took it to the cheapest mechanic he can find.

>father's e36 having problems with the clutch
>cheap mechanic tells him he needs a new clutch disc
>mechanic tells father that he get it fixed in a week
>week passes and he hasn't done anything
>mechanic asks for another week
>next week passed, car is not fixed
>dad gives he 3 months since he went out of country for vacation
>comes back, car is not fixed
>every 3-7 months, dad comes to check to see if his car is fixed
>nope, mechanic says he have it ready in 3 days
>repeat this for 5 years
>every time my father goes to check, mechanic tells him he'll have it ready in 3 days
>the only reason why my dad hasn't taken back his car is because the mechanic told him he'll fix it for free
>mfw

>take dads car to pepboys for tire changes
>guy comes back saying there's a hole in the muffler
>call dad, dad wants muffler replaced since this car will be his commuting car for a while
>ask guys if they have the parts
>"20 min drive to the dealer to get them"
>this was at 9am
>fast forward to 5:30pm
>"still working on it"
>angry as fuck
>dad shows up at 6pm
>finally just before closing they are done
>$500 for OEM parts and labor
>years later
>horrible exhaust noise
>jack car
>hole in muffler again
>wtf, look closer
>the faggots just taped over the hike with muffler take and a piece of metal to back it
>dad furious beyond fuck

Fuck those faggots, glad that store went under cause they couldn't keep their own employees from stealing shit.

Had my bottom end blow and couldnt afford the tools to fix it and cbf.

$2000aud+ i think it was i forgot

Went to the local place who was a 4wd center (red flag for the future) who completely fucked it.

Cheaped out on parts, stripped the sump plug, tensioner leaked everything fucking leaked.

Could not be fucked chasing them so i just got rid of the car.

NEVER EVER

I now go to a professional raceshop which was ironically cheaper and 5min down the road.

Go figure.

ended up with a 300rwhp v8 for cheap so im happy alls well that ends well

and if they do, they offer no warranty on said parts

if the shit belt you got ai orielly's breaks after 2 days then you gotta pay the man to do it all over again.

if they bought it, everything would be on them to fix it again

>wheel bearings
>$1200
What. The fuck.

This is why you pay with a credit card then do a chargeback after calling your bank and explaining the situation.

Not that hard, and the shop eats the chargeback fee

>he does it 4 free

Had one pay me $500 a week to do something that infuriated me. 20 years now and I'm still looking forward to the end.

I dated a mechanic once.
Does that count?

Where you reckon they get their parts?

was she cute?

>a cute mechanic with huge tits will never sit on my face
kill me

Not me, but when I was 18 my mom took my car to an oil change place. Like usual, they recommend a bunch of things to do, but in particular they tell her that my coolant is rusty and dirty. She went ahead and paid them to do it. When I got home she told me about how it was orange and they cleaned it so it was green again.
>tfw had to flush all of it out and explain to her that it was supposed to be orange

Reading your post makes it very obvious that your story is true. Your father is a fucking idiot, and he passed it on.

>be 20
>dad isn't into cars
>never learned shit about them growing up
>driving down road one day
>steam and coolant smell everywhere
>pull over and pop hood
>engine bay is soaked in coolant
>fuuuug
>not far from auto shop
>limp it there without letting it overheat
>shop can probably tell I don't know shit
>'Well desu, it looks like you need a new radiator'
>have to pay $740 all said and done
>realize later on after learning about cars that it was probably just a hose

I'm 27 now and know how to pull and rebuild the engine and transmission and will be rebuilding an axle and setting up the gears myself soon. Makes me cringe to look back and think of all the money I lost to mechanic's for having woman-tier knowledge of my own vehicle.

>Dad takes his cars to the local Nissan dealership (apart from doing regular maintenance) because he somehow can talk them into doing all the repairs for free even if they are not under warranty or recalled. He got them to put in a new engine in my brother's 03 sentra for free.

He must have saved the life of the owner's relative or something. Since mechanics and floor space all cost money, something like that would need the dealership's owner's permission. Since the dealer owes Dad blood, your Dad gets away with a lot.

What the fuck, 1200 dollars for wheel bearings? Even if it's the kind that's pressed onto the axle, you could have bought all the equipment to do the repair yourself for far far less. That's fucking absurd, I'm hella pissed.

I try to do the work myself and I've done most of it myself or had a friend to help; battery, clutch cylinders, timing belt and water pump, and tires. Couldn't figure out my last problem and my manager was nagging me to go to a mechanic - and with something breaking on my car every month I just said fuck it already and felt lazy, plus I couldn't figure out why I was misfiring so I finally took it to the mechanic my tenant recommended.
>Charged me $86 to to diagnose the problem
>Charges $90/hr for labor
>Said it was my #1 fuel injector
>Said replacement part is $80 but it'll take five days to get the part
>Should've told him I'll take it from there but felt like he'll give me a hard time if I don't let him replace it if I ever need his help again so I gave the OK to order it
>Asked if he could replace all four while he was at it
>He says they only have one available
>Call friends to see if they have injectors because I can't really afford to not work for five more days
>Friend has a full set of injectors for $50
>Buy it
>Call mechanic
>No answer
>Fucker is closed on weekends and didn't tell me
>Left voicemail notifying him to cancel the order if it's not too late and that I can drop by with the set to speed up the process
>Monday morning he says he got the single $80 part in earlier than expected and already swapped it in
>Charged me $310 total
I guess that's not too bad of a price but I still regret my decision to not spend another day or two trying to figure things out myself, and investing in a multimeter and learning how to use it

>I was charged $630 for an alternator replacement on my 22RE Toyota Pickup.

That sounds like a bargain for a stealership. You didn't get an inspection fee tacked on.

My stealership would charge me more because of their examination fee they add to almost all repairs. The chevrolet dealership in Renton, Washington does an inspection before it does any repairs. That fee is added to the bill. So in the past when I knew what the problem was and told them specifically, they still insisted on doing the inspection. I loyally bought multiple new cars from them decade after decade, but they didn't return the loyalty. So that's it for them.

It's Good Chevrolet's way of keeping themselves blame free I guess but it's all at the expense of the consumer. They also tell you to initial places saying you choose not to have it repaired so that they can then blame the customer for not repairing it and thus void the warranty in the future. That is an obnoxious trap.

Even if you have a new car warranty job, they insist on an inspection fee. If their inspection determines that all the repairs are under warranty, then I don't have to pay an inspection fee. But if they find something that is not covered by the new car warranty such as "it was improperly repaired" or "the car was damaged" then I'd have to eat the inspection fee. Others complained about Good Chevrolet in a local chat so I know I am not the only one irritated at these tactics to wring money or void warranty coverage. I'm just glad I have a nice job and can fork over the large fees they charge.

In my personal opinion, they are a stealership, but others do like them because they are local and polite. Polite is not the same as nice though.

Up north, the chevrolet dealer there charges less for service, but the problem is that dealer is far away. When your car has a problem, it's the local closest dealer that takes care of it regardless of price.

>when I knew what the problem was and told them specifically
Protip: tons of customers think this, but are always wrong, or they wouldn't take their out of warranty car to a dealership

>getting scammed means you're a idiot.

Yeah, that's universally accepted. With the added proof of typing out something with obvious markers of being a U.S. citizen, at the lowest testing point. In short; he and his father are uneducated hicks, proven by their history and his inability to convey the English language through text.

Protip: Tons of customers are also right.

You insisted by saying "...are always wrong..." that 100% of customers are wrong when it comes to a stealership. However, stealerships prefer to repair the car out of warranty so that they can make a lot more profit. The in-warranty fee they receive from the manufacturer is a lot smaller than the stealership fee for doing exactly the same thing for an out-of-warranty customer. So the stealership has strong financial incentive to insist that the repair is out of warranty even if it is a new car (under one years old) with less than 5000 miles.

Not only are you almost certainly wrong about your diagnosis of your problem, you have 0 idea how a dealership works. 99% of the time the tech gets paid the same for doing x job whether it's customer pay or warranty. The only push to not repair things under warranty is coming from the car company through the warranty clerk. It's not the dealership looking to make more money.

Here's a quick rundown for everyone in the thread of where people may be stretching the truth to make money

Recommendations from the tech - a flat rate tech who wants to make more money will try to upsell jobs he can make good hours on. The most common would be either pushing to do a major service early, or recommending another job when he know he'll already have something halfway apart, for example recommending a water pump when you're getting a timing belt job that requires taking the pump off.

From the service writer - they get money from upselling things like coolant flushes, fuel injection service (aka pouring an additive in the gas tank), etc. The service writer is obviously not going to come up with a nonsense repair just to try to make money.

Paying for inspection, or doing a small job that you think only takes 10 minutes but they charge you an hour for aren't scams. Best example is evap code from a loose gas cap.
>what they charged me $125 to tighten the gas cap and clear the code arghhhh that takes 2 minutes
Sure, but a tech has to be certain that really is the issue. That one time it turns out it's not a gas cap and is rollover valves, and the gas tank has to be dropped and the dealership does a 3 hour repair for free because they already told the customer it was just the gas cap, that's why any shop that intends on making any money needs that buffer. People in these threads seem to think that on a perfect day a shop should barely break even and if anything goes wrong the shop should absorb the loss.

what in the fuck are you idiots babbling about

Obviously you havent never worked on a car. You can do 90% on the,ground the same. And then take it to the mechaniman for the other ten..

5 or 6/10 but she was pretty smart
We broke it off cause she went off to work at a dealership across the country

Nothing about my post implies I'm remotely dumb. Lazy maybe, but not dumb.

I can tell you're not a professional. The dealership fixed me up real nice.

Have you asked? The service guy at my local Toyota was cool about it. He even asked me to send him a link of the parts I was ordering so he could check them out before the install AND the install actually came in lower than the phone quote.
Buy a Toyota™

$140 to tighten lug nuts? Jesus Christ. Also $700 to replace tie rods? Man I should be a mechanic.

Shop rate for the tie rods was $79/hr and $129/hr for the lugs (dealer)
No way the mechanic is seeing more that 1/4 of that in his wallet.

Your job isn't to buy parts faggot, it's to put them on.

Independant mechanics make a killing though, you charge half what the stealership does and get to keep it all instead of $30 an hour

>mfw I made $400 in one hour by changing oil

Paid $622 to have my carburetors cleaned on a $1500 motorcycle. Don't think it's possible to get fucked any harder than that. I plan on doing all my own maintenance moving forward...

Yep, you keep it all, because operating a shop costs 0 dollars

My transmission is shifting hard between gears and clicking when I shift between drive and reverse. Mech says my torque converter is fucked and it will cost 900 including labor. Am I getting jobbed?

fuck you little dick white boi i'll fuck you up bitch. enjoy getting raped by muslim rapefugees yuropoor fag

First time I went to the mechanic he charged me for a haunted air compressor and 3 gallons of blinker fluid.

Might be OK if you work from home and do the work yourself.
The indie guy ($79 tie rod) had a kitted out 2 bay lease in a commercial district with decent parking and a 2 person staff.
$400 buck for an oil change is pretty steep. you'll probably piss a lot of people off by charging that and get a bad name for yourself.

no torque converters are hard to replace you have to drop the whole transmission to replace plus the cost of new fluids/tc and labor thats a pretty decent price. hopefully thats all that is causing the clicking and hard shifting.

took my car in to get inspection at a stealership as it was overdue and i was also getting my lower intake manifold gaskets replaced, guy said he couldnt pass me for safety inspection because of my brakes and couldn't do them myself because i have no inspection he wouldn't even give me the temporary 10 day to fix it so he did it and charged me $100 a per side plus labor, it came out to almost as much as replacing my LIM gaskets ($311 and brakes were $265)

It's been 6000 miles and my front brakes need replacing as he didnt grease the slides/bolts and he probably didnt even grease the hub so it's gonna be a bitch to take it off.

I make a lot more now than when I was a tech, shop costs are only about 1/3rd of my take

$400 for 6 oil changes friendo, when you've a pit, a lift and multiple jacks you can do 3 at once without an issue

>went to mechanics to replace a bent control arm
>quoted me about 60 dollars to fix it for labor
>get call 3 hours later
>"Uh yeah, we noticed that pretty much everything attached to your wheel is fucked and needs to be replaced"
>Quotes me 900 dollars
>Refuses to just put the control arm on. But offers me 250 for my car
>Sell it to a friend for 800 afterwards

>What's the hardest that you've been fucked by a mechanic?

Oddly, never. I began learning to wrench before I got a drivers license and have outsourced almost nothing except one automatic transmission R&I with rebuild, alignments, exhaust work before I bought a welder and tire changes. I've wanted to become a mechanic since I was babby, so I did on aircraft and anything else I could lay hands on.

Do it, faggots. No one will love your ride like you do, and whatever you break learning will be repaid manyfold.