I really like the SW20 MR-2 but I don't like the idea of being thrown into a tree because of braking behind a normie...

I really like the SW20 MR-2 but I don't like the idea of being thrown into a tree because of braking behind a normie who can't take a corner at 20 mph. Are these things really as bad as people say?

if you lose traction at 20mph because of some braking, you're not very good at braking

also, they're the very poor man's boxster

No. They get twitchy approaching the limit but that shouldn't be a problem during spirited driving. Now if you plan to do some hardcore canyon carving or mountain roads at or near the limit you should get very familiar with the car first.

>Are these things really as bad as people say?
No, but there is a learning curve to them when driving at high speeds.

not really, it's just different
you gave to adjust your timing when breaking and accelerating so of course if you just jump in one for thw first time it's gonna seem winky if you don't give it a chance.

This was my friend I knew for 11 years since school, he had 2 daughters.

Good luck user.

I smell some bullshit.
They aren't bad at all. Take it to a large parking lot and spin it out, find out where the limit is and how the car reacts when it gets near the limit.
You won't worry about it at all when you drive the car on a daily basis. When you start to drive the car hard you'll learn to brake early and gas it through the turn.

The SW20 is by no means perfect but snap oversteer is a terrible reason to not get one.

snap oversteer is a meme.

its just that the MR2 is a cheap and accessible midship for anyone so more idiotic drivers are crashing them.

another owner reporting in

i say meme. you'll never get to those limits while normally driving or even spirited driving like said. not unless you're driving in a really unconfident twitchy way

I'm very much into gen1/2 , how about gen 1 ?
anything else that i would have to consider when buying any of the 2 ?

age, rust, structural rigidity especially. everything else will be normal since it's literally a backwards corolla

thanks

>Backwards corolla
Never made this connection in my head for some reason

no youre an autist. it's just a fucking car. i drove my moms when i was like 12.

No. I don't consider myself anything more than an average driver and I drove my 357whp SW20 like a complete ass, sliding the tail on about 35% of the corners I took. Only thing that ever happened was I looked really cool.

Don't let ambition get the better of adhesion, especially on a public road.

>being friends with a car
>implying cars have children

yeah right dude LOL

DEJA VU

>they're the very poor man's boxster

You retarded?

>MR2 snap oversteer meme

This happens because it's a mid engined car set up for understeer.

Car understeers, driver lets off throttle or brakes, front end hooks up and the car spins.

The car is completely fine, just a bunch of journalists and overzealous owners couldn't fathom the idea of slowing down a bit more before a corner or riding out a bad line instead of trying to fix it mid corner. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car, just most people who have driven one have never had the opportunity to drive a mid engined car set up for understeer before because prior to the MR2 there were no mid engined cars this cheap (inb4 X1/9) so toyota couldn't set it up neutral or loose because lol mass market.

Idk, I've gone twice the speed limit (at least) through twisties in my aw11 with no problems and as long as you aren't spastic with the inputs then you can still control it. Of course it gets twitchy near its limits but that's most midships for you. Learn to drive it and it won't kill you, just like every other car. Just no hard braking through corners (slow in fast out is your friend)

A well known posted in one of the general threads lost his life in one. Beware of them OP.

Pic related, the poster and the MR2 that killed him.

Snap oversteer is real but it kinda seperates the shit drivers from the good ones

basically
>git gud
>learn the limits somewhere safe before you take mr2san on a mountain touge
>???
Good luck sw20desu

dont akira yourself and take care of your new mid rear butthole

Slip a bigass turbo on it eventually for maxiumum cheekybreeky

To be honest I dont get the MR2 hype. Even tuned versions get BTFO by FWD cars.

He's not just saying it's a backwards Corolla. It's the same engine and shares alot of parts with a Corolla.

MR2 fan here, RWD is just more fun but I mainly think the SW20 is just a really cool design with neat aftermarket stuff

just learn the car's limits and don't play with them, and invest in some really adhesive track tires. you'll be fine

Don't listen to these anons they are trying to get you killed like with the bleach and ammonia posts /b does. Snap oversteer in an mr2 is very real and happens all the time. I was sitting behind an mr2 at a light and before it even took off it snapped over steered into a tree, killing the driver and a few puppys, kittens and nuns . You would be better off looking at another car preferably something much safer with ecoboost.

Obvious troll is obvious but I still had a hearty kek